MPQ at Marvel.com: Doctor Octopus (5/30/17)

Options

Comments

• Halfrunt
    Halfrunt Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I expected a memorable announcement after Memorial day.

All toons will be unvaulted during next PvP season, and the Twelve are availlable during off-season.

Sad it is only Octopus.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    His blue should pair amazingly with 4* gamora, other than that he looks very meh
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So, for the low low cost of 13 green, what exactly are you getting?  Nothing, right?  I mean, the opportunity to spend more to make it do stuff, sure, but the original 13 AP gets you precisely nothing?  Is that really how the character works?  Do you at least get to choose where to place it?  Feels like a character designed to be played by the AI with a pair of green feeders rather than one a player would want to get and use themselves.

I really don't see how making the ability cost straight up 0 instead of 13 to start would make this seem all that strong.  Like, if one does not exist, create a nuclear reactor tile a la SWitch or something.  I mean, seriously, we're talking about a 10-turn CD.  The percent of games where this would go off even with that enormous buff would still be vanishingly small.

Hopefully the numbers on the heal and aoe are gigantic.  I mean, how much health gain would be fair for spending 21 green on a pulsing CD?  10k per turn?  15k?  Once you get to the point where you've spent 27 green on this (27!) it would have to be the most terrifying thing in the world.  The problem is that there are already lots of quite reliable ways to end games with 27 AP, and this is frankly neither reliable nor a game ender at that point, so how could it possibly be scary?  Maybe it's a true heal; at this price, it can hardly constitute a balance problem, right?  A way to true heal other characters sans health packs might actually make him marginally useful in the 5* tier.  And I mean, he *is* a doctor.   And you are *literally* sending your characters to the hospital.

The original 13 green gets you a 10 turn countdown tile that deals damage when it's over. So it's not nothing, it's just not really worth the 13 green (5* Thanos has a shorter countdown for 12 green that looks like it does the same amount of damage, Black Bolt also has his Green AOE that can do more damage instantly but technically also costs more AP).
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Excited and disappointed.

Disappointed that it wasn't Arcade, and disappointed that it's a variant. But that's ok, they're not huge disappointments.

Excited that it's a villain, it's a classic outfit (really love that artwork).

Interested that we've got two Spider-Man villains in the 5* tier now, and also interested that the article talks about kicking off Spider-Man's big summer with a classic villain - just wondering how many characters Homecoming is going to bring to MPQ. Interested in all his abilities too, Stuns, damage, extra matches, and a cunning scheme.

• hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I feel like this should lead into a new Peter Parker Spider-Man boss event for the release of Homecoming (combined with the release of a 4* Peter Parker Spider-Man based off Tom Holland).
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So what happens with Silver Surfer @Brigby?
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Twysta said:
    Time to go the bugs forum, my Jean Grey, Drax and Invisible woman don't generate me any green.
    What game are they/am I playing? 

Why is it in every interview with the new characters they always talk about other characters they would pair well with, with abilities which they don't have?!

I think it's actually a subtle troll job (and I love it).

I mean, if it happened once or maybe twice, sure - but when the actual publisher of the game makes a mistake in every single release preview.... 

Things that make you go hmm... 
  • Style55
    Style55 Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    After reading the description I have little to no interest in acquiring this character, even for completion sake/collecting them all. I wish you could de-select certain 5*s, between Octopus, Hulk and Star Lord I'd rather not waste 1000 HP on a roster slot for any of them. 

Now to decide if I hoard my Latest Legends tokens till Star Lord + Octopus are out of there or just burn them now since it's only Star Lord (Who?!) as a negative..
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    And I mean, he *is* a doctor.   And you are *literally* sending your characters to the hospital.

He's not that kind of doctor. 
  • dlegendary0ne
    dlegendary0ne Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Rhycar said:
    So, why in the world are you accelerating releases of 5* characters, and thus kicking Black Panther out early? I have a feeling this won't be a popular decision.

Not sure it's an accelerated release. Character releases are always 2 weeks apart, and there's always a 5* release after two 4*s. We've just had Rocket & Groot and Gamora. So a 5* release at this point is business as usual as far as I'm aware.
    It's well ahead of schedule.  5* are typically at least 35 days apart, if not the 42 they've been in a lot of cases. This is 28.  

Edit:  Welp, nevermind.  Typo means it's 35 days.  Still on the earlier side but yeah, not abnormal.
    Rocket & Groot were ahead of schedule, not Doc Ock. Pattern is "5*/4*4*, every two weeks", this one is two weeks after Gamora, which was two weeks after R&G. R&G came a week after Star Lord, and that's why the 5*s seem closer together.

But they aren't "accelerating the release of 5*s," this release is two weeks after the last, which has been the pattern ever since we first were given a release schedule to anticipate.
    SL/R&G wasn't the first back to back 5/4 release this year, probably won't be the last.  

As I said, they've been running 35 days at different points, while holding the 5/4/4 pattern, which has led to a couple back to backs.  Ideally they'd make all the 5* gaps 42 days, but hasn't been the case.
    If memory serves, they didn't start the two week new release cadence until recently.  I noticed because I'm off every other weekend, and their new releases fall on all my weekends off (which sucks since it's added pressure to play pve if I want the new character).  That combined with the fact that vaulting characters is also fairly new, makes things seem a bit rushed.

But I think the point of Rhycar's post was that there isn't enough time to get covers for BP.  If this is the speed they're going with, it seems very difficult to gather enough legendary tokens and CP to cover a given 5* before they leave latest.  And we all know how difficult it is to get covers for them when that happens (bonus hero pulls don't really work well for covering 5*s)

I really think they need to spread out the new releases a bit.  Every two weeks is too fast.  That's barely enough time to champ even one 4*.  Three to four weeks seems a bit more reasonable. 
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Don't forget we did have a break before 5 star lord. Remember "thanks for playing mpq"
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I really think they need to spread out the new releases a bit.  Every two weeks is too fast.  That's barely enough time to champ even one 4*.  Three to four weeks seems a bit more reasonable. 

Some of us have been saying something like that for something like 3 years.

:crickets: :tumbleweeds: :othersignifierofuttersilence:

• JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    Options

"I am sensing it may be a big summer for Spider-Man and company."

It'd be nice if this indicated a buff to 3* spidey and 5* BSSM.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DeNappa said:
    The second power is called Tentacles and costs eight Blue AP to have Doc Ock’s tentacles lashing out constantly. If he has fewer than four on the board, Doc Ock creates a Tentacle tile. Then he deals damage for each Tentacle tile he controls. This power also has a Passive that triggers at the start of each turn. If Doctor Octopus is stunned, his tentacles make a match for his team for each Tentacle tile he controls.
    According to a recent thread on passives vs stun, a passive should not fire while a character is stunned :D  :p:mrgreen:

Otherwise, he seems interesting, although the whole green countdown thing sounds needlessly complicated.
    Apparently Medusa's Hair must be working for her while stunned too, because matching her tile while she's stunned will still create 2 attack tiles.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind said:
    Twysta said:
    Time to go the bugs forum, my Jean Grey, Drax and Invisible woman don't generate me any green.

Why is it in every interview with the new characters they always talk about other characters they would pair well with, with abilities which they don't have?!

Yeah, it's almost like these "interviews" are not interviews at all and just articles written by somebody who doesn't play the game. Gosh.
    It's not really an interview, just a script.  You can easily tell with the canned responses and marketing lines.
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Any chance we'll see some stats today, @Cthulhu? :#
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bbigler said:
    Jarvind said:
    Twysta said:

Yeah, it's almost like these "interviews" are not interviews at all and just articles written by somebody who doesn't play the game. Gosh.
    It's not really an interview, just a script.  You can easily tell with the canned responses and marketing lines.
    That was the joke, yes. :expressionless:
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think this "interview" accidentally leaked some upcoming buffs to Drax, Jean, and Sue! :D
  • Platty616
    Platty616 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Another lazy duplicate of a character already in the game as a 3*, when are you introducing a NEW character?
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,499 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bbigler said:
    DeNappa said:
    The second power is called Tentacles and costs eight Blue AP to have Doc Ock’s tentacles lashing out constantly. If he has fewer than four on the board, Doc Ock creates a Tentacle tile. Then he deals damage for each Tentacle tile he controls. This power also has a Passive that triggers at the start of each turn. If Doctor Octopus is stunned, his tentacles make a match for his team for each Tentacle tile he controls.
    According to a recent thread on passives vs stun, a passive should not fire while a character is stunned :D  :p:mrgreen:

Otherwise, he seems interesting, although the whole green countdown thing sounds needlessly complicated.
    Apparently Medusa's Hair must be working for her while stunned too, because matching her tile while she's stunned will still create 2 attack tiles.
    Countdowns and traps both have their "do this effect if matched" go off even if the character who made the tile is stunned.  Honestly, it's more fair that way - it's a fairly hard set of conditions.