MPQ at Marvel.com: Doctor Octopus (5/30/17)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited May 2017 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hi Everyone,

Who's a maniacal scientist, has 8 appendages, and the best-looking bowl cut around? Doc Ock, that's who!
Check out the new 5-Star Doctor Octopus here: Doctor Octopus (Classic)

Update: 
The release date in the article is unfortunately the incorrect date. Doctor Octopus will be introduced into tokens on 6/19, not 6/12 

Comments

• Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So, why in the world are you accelerating releases of 5* characters, and thus kicking Black Panther out early? I have a feeling this won't be a popular decision.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sweet!  No 4* release this week!
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yay, *another* character we already had that no one was asking for.  At least its a villain.  
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I mean, he looks absolutely fantastic, so mega-cheers for the art department on this one.

That said, I'm not in 5* land, so it's unlikely I'll ever be able to use him.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The second power is called Tentacles and costs eight Blue AP to have Doc Ock’s tentacles lashing out constantly. If he has fewer than four on the board, Doc Ock creates a Tentacle tile. Then he deals damage for each Tentacle tile he controls. This power also has a Passive that triggers at the start of each turn. If Doctor Octopus is stunned, his tentacles make a match for his team for each Tentacle tile he controls.
    According to a recent thread on passives vs stun, a passive should not fire while a character is stunned :D  :p:mrgreen:

Otherwise, he seems interesting, although the whole green countdown thing sounds needlessly complicated.
  • Bloody_Marvel
    Bloody_Marvel Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Rhycar said:
    So, why in the world are you accelerating releases of 5* characters, and thus kicking Black Panther out early? I have a feeling this won't be a popular decision.

Not sure it's an accelerated release. Character releases are always 2 weeks apart, and there's always a 5* release after two 4*s. We've just had Rocket & Groot and Gamora. So a 5* release at this point is business as usual as far as I'm aware.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Rhycar said:

Not sure it's an accelerated release. Character releases are always 2 weeks apart, and there's always a 5* release after two 4*s. We've just had Rocket & Groot and Gamora. So a 5* release at this point is business as usual as far as I'm aware.
    It's well ahead of schedule.  5* are typically at least 35 days apart, if not the 42 they've been in a lot of cases. This is 28.  

Edit:  Welp, nevermind.  Typo means it's 35 days.  Still on the earlier side but yeah, not abnormal.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Brigby  Is there a typo at the end of the article?

Devs have said new characters enter the latest legends 2 weeks after their store.   June 12th would only be one week.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So two more releases before we get 5* Peter Parker?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Seems like a obvious 5/5/3, green is too convoluted to even bother with
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yet again another variant and no one new! I still cannot understand why this year there is a flux of variants versus non new characters. At least we have another villain, but we could have had any of spidey's villains since there is a lack there of as of late.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @GrumpySmurf1002
    Good catch. That is correct. The article unfortunately has the incorrect date listed. Doctor Octopus will be introduced in-game on 6/19, instead of the originally stated 6/12
  • Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This power also has a Passive ability that if the reactor is matched it gains 11 Green AP. If it’s destroyed, this power becomes Cunning Scheme.
    Does matching the reactor tile also reset the power to Cunning Scheme too? Or is the scheme foiled for that entire game?

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This power also has a Passive ability that if the reactor is matched it gains 11 Green AP. If it’s destroyed, this power becomes Cunning Scheme.
    Does matching the reactor tile also reset the power to Cunning Scheme too? Or is the scheme foiled for that entire game?

That whole power description is confusing as heck.  Hopefully, it will have the multi-effect power (like Hawkeye blue) fully detailed as soon as he goes live in the game, so we can check it out from his ghost roster entry.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options

DeNappa said:
    If Doctor Octopus is stunned, his tentacles make a match for his team for each Tentacle tile he controls.
    According to a recent thread on passives vs stun, a passive should not fire while a character is stunned...
    Of course, there's already one passive that specifically states it operates while the character is stunned: Phoenix's From the Ashes ability.  That one states it almost as an afterthought, but this one kind of does right what it says on the tin.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looks non-meta and amusing.

Hope to see more like this so I can focus my efforts on other heroes.
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nice, another villain and a classic character.