MPQ at Marvel.com: Doctor Octopus (5/30/17)

Comments

• vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe the article is confusing "characters that generate green" with "characters that wear green?"  Is there a hidden passive teaming Doc Oc with characters that wear green?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rhycar said:
    So, why in the world are you accelerating releases of 5* characters, and thus kicking Black Panther out early? I have a feeling this won't be a popular decision.

Not sure it's an accelerated release. Character releases are always 2 weeks apart, and there's always a 5* release after two 4*s. We've just had Rocket & Groot and Gamora. So a 5* release at this point is business as usual as far as I'm aware.
    It's well ahead of schedule.  5* are typically at least 35 days apart, if not the 42 they've been in a lot of cases. This is 28.  

Edit:  Welp, nevermind.  Typo means it's 35 days.  Still on the earlier side but yeah, not abnormal.
    Rocket & Groot were ahead of schedule, not Doc Ock. Pattern is "5*/4*4*, every two weeks", this one is two weeks after Gamora, which was two weeks after R&G. R&G came a week after Star Lord, and that's why the 5*s seem closer together.

But they aren't "accelerating the release of 5*s," this release is two weeks after the last, which has been the pattern ever since we first were given a release schedule to anticipate.
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Ok....i like Doc....but another duplicate? And this time one that no one was asking for? Is this because it's too early for Vulture from the film? And what about other classics that aren't available yet? Kraven....Mysterio....Rhino...or even Shocker to name a few???? You're killing me smalls!!
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not a fan of these convoluted abilities that takes an act of god to pull off and by the time you pull it off, the match is over anyways. This character is meh to me.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    JHawkInc said:
    Rhycar said:
    So, why in the world are you accelerating releases of 5* characters, and thus kicking Black Panther out early? I have a feeling this won't be a popular decision.

Not sure it's an accelerated release. Character releases are always 2 weeks apart, and there's always a 5* release after two 4*s. We've just had Rocket & Groot and Gamora. So a 5* release at this point is business as usual as far as I'm aware.
    It's well ahead of schedule.  5* are typically at least 35 days apart, if not the 42 they've been in a lot of cases. This is 28.  

Edit:  Welp, nevermind.  Typo means it's 35 days.  Still on the earlier side but yeah, not abnormal.
    Rocket & Groot were ahead of schedule, not Doc Ock. Pattern is "5*/4*4*, every two weeks", this one is two weeks after Gamora, which was two weeks after R&G. R&G came a week after Star Lord, and that's why the 5*s seem closer together.

But they aren't "accelerating the release of 5*s," this release is two weeks after the last, which has been the pattern ever since we first were given a release schedule to anticipate.
    SL/R&G wasn't the first back to back 5/4 release this year, probably won't be the last.  

As I said, they've been running 35 days at different points, while holding the 5/4/4 pattern, which has led to a couple back to backs.  Ideally they'd make all the 5* gaps 42 days, but hasn't been the case.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Even if it was fortified, which it won't seem to be, good luck having that Nuclear tile last 10 turns.  And the only point seems to be to try to match it on turn 9.  Does anything special happen if the countdown actually hits zero?
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Am I missing something here but wouldn't you not want to fortify that tile if you planned on matching it with one turn left?  Do you still get the game win if it is fortified when matched or does it have to be removed with a match, in which case fortifying the tile defeats the purpose? Wouldn't someone like Hood or Flaptain be good since they reduce countdown timers if your goal was to get the countdown tile to 1?

So this guy really seems like he may be worse than 5* Hulk, who I think most people think is the worst 5* in the game (at least according to the forums).  While he may be fun to play, here is a summary of his abilities:

1.) Basically more expensive Daredevil blue (but black) that we don't know how long it lasts, but does damage if it goes to zero - honestly this is probably his best power and Daredevil actually has one of the best stuns in the game but doesn't do extra stuff (although Daredevils is blue and cheaper which is a plus and if you match it, you get extra blue AP I think)
    2.) A blue power that puts out special tiles and deals damage - these tiles will passively make matches if Ock is stunned a small, very nominal ability imo for a passive - if the damage is amazing then, maybe this ability is good but I bet it isn't going to be game changing compared to other 5* damaging abilities
    3.) A gimmick win the game ability that will almost never be utilized. It is reliant on a countdown tile, which even with fortification, we all know is iffy at best. Yes it can do other things but for all that green AP, its damage/healing/etc along with the fact it is a countdown tile, better be amazing.  If you have that much green AP to spend, you should be using another better green ability in 5* (or even 4* land).

As of right now, without seeing the numbers, just on what each character attempts to do, I would take 5* Hulk over this guy.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Twysta said:
    Time to go the bugs forum, my Jean Grey, Drax and Invisible woman don't generate me any green.
    What game are they/am I playing? 

Why is it in every interview with the new characters they always talk about other characters they would pair well with, with abilities which they don't have?!

Yeah, it's almost like these "interviews" are not interviews at all and just articles written by somebody who doesn't play the game. Gosh.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Even if it was fortified, which it won't seem to be, good luck having that Nuclear tile last 10 turns.  And the only point seems to be to try to match it on turn 9.  Does anything special happen if the countdown actually hits zero?
    Way back at the start of the power description, it says the tile deals damage to all characters. Since it's an exploding nuclear reactor, I assume it's a LOT of damage.
  • AlluAllu
    AlluAllu Posts: 86 Match Maker
    5-star is way out of my league, but this classic version is vastly better looking than the 3-star Matrix Ock! Appreciated. :) 
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I'm totally intrigued by his green ability and would probably play around with it in shield sim just for funsies. It's a true "imagine each match as a new story" ability. 

The main problem is that it'll be horribly ineffective. It requires lots of green AP, but the problem is how finicky needing the situation around the countdown to be perfect is. You collect green AP, cast the countdown tile, then you need to gather more green AP without matching the countdown until it's exactly at 1. If you use a normal green accelerator like Awesome Hulk, his countdown will often match away your own countdown tile, ruining the plot. The other way to go is a more controlled green creator, who can place the green tiles, which lets you target the countdown only when you want to. The main one I can think of would be GSBW. In fact, it may be better to bring a purple accelerator for GSBW than a green accelerator for Doc. The main one being SW. So that means you're just recreating Winfinite as Winstant with Doc instead of Prof X.

By the way, I'm copyrighting the Winstant team of Doc/GSBW/SW right now. Too bad they're both 3*s.

Is there anyone I'm missing that let's you place green tiles? I guess KK kind of.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Warbringa said:
    Am I missing something here but wouldn't you not want to fortify that tile if you planned on matching it with one turn left?  Do you still get the game win if it is fortified when matched or does it have to be removed with a match, in which case fortifying the tile defeats the purpose? Wouldn't someone like Hood or Flaptain be good since they reduce countdown timers if your goal was to get the countdown tile to 1?

So this guy really seems like he may be worse than 5* Hulk, who I think most people think is the worst 5* in the game (at least according to the forums).  While he may be fun to play, here is a summary of his abilities:

1.) Basically more expensive Daredevil blue (but black) that we don't know how long it lasts, but does damage if it goes to zero - honestly this is probably his best power and Daredevil actually has one of the best stuns in the game but doesn't do extra stuff (although Daredevils is blue and cheaper which is a plus and if you match it, you get extra blue AP I think)
    2.) A blue power that puts out special tiles and deals damage - these tiles will passively make matches if Ock is stunned a small, very nominal ability imo for a passive - if the damage is amazing then, maybe this ability is good but I bet it isn't going to be game changing compared to other 5* damaging abilities
    3.) A gimmick win the game ability that will almost never be utilized. It is reliant on a countdown tile, which even with fortification, we all know is iffy at best. Yes it can do other things but for all that green AP, its damage/healing/etc along with the fact it is a countdown tile, better be amazing.  If you have that much green AP to spend, you should be using another better green ability in 5* (or even 4* land).

As of right now, without seeing the numbers, just on what each character attempts to do, I would take 5* Hulk over this guy.
    @Warbringa  Fortified CD tiles still do their "when matched" effect on the match that takes down the fortification. I saw it recently with Medusa and 4* Luke Cage boosted in the last pve.

Conceivably, you could run Ock with GG to refortify the tile multiple times to generate extra green AP.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nepenthe said:
    @Warbringa  Fortified CD tiles still do their "when matched" effect on the match that takes down the fortification. I saw it recently with Medusa and 4* Luke Cage boosted in the last pve.

Conceivably, you could run Ock with GG to refortify the tile multiple times to generate extra green AP.

Hmm, that's interesting. You could in theory run a 5* team then of Doc, Starlord, and either GG or Hawkeye. Starlord's yellow adds 12 green (4 charged greens) to the board, and GG or Hawkeye keep fortifying the reactor tile.

You still run the problem of needing a total of 27 green, and to be able to match the reactor at exactly 1. But if it works when matching it while fortified, then at least there's more options.

It's also possible the reactor does so much team damage each turn at Phase 4 that you could keep targeting the highest HP character while watching the team's health wittle away. Phase 4 + strike tiles would probably end any match anyways (like a slow Sentry bomb), but you also have the problem of using characters that create strike tiles as well as getting 27 green.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Obviously the "interview's" recommendations on teammates are comically bad as (almost) always.  Suggesting characters with zero ap gen at all for green ap generation is a new one though!

And green seems backwards.  Shouldn't stage one be relatively cheap and produce a minor helpful effect, with each stage thereafter costing more and offering more in return?  In any event, it's a fun power that fits with doc's general character, but far too complicated to ever be good on offense. Let alone defense.

Also, will a series of 1-turn stuns against 5* bp quickly turn into suicide?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    It fits with the description of the scheme -- for stage 1 Doc builds a fully functioning nuclear power plant, and then subsequent stages are using that investment for evil.