How many hoarded KLD packs do you plan to crack open next week?

Options

Comments

• mixed bag
    mixed bag Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    50-99
    Having saved packs, will the masterpiece cards be stripped from the KLD block and put into the Amonkhet release?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Options
    I haven't been hoarding
    Bloody hell, hoarding packs? How much money do you guys all regularly throw at this game?
    I'm lucky if I ever qualify to win one
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    100-199
    I REALLY want to know if I should be keeping my packs for the dupe system.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    20-49
    Drycha said:
    Bloody hell, hoarding packs? How much money do you guys all regularly throw at this game?
    It doesn't require money.

1. Play every non-coalition event to progression as best you can
    2. Join a coalition (see signature) so you can play in those events as well

You can get a handful of packs a week doing that, then:

3. Get a critical mass of commons and uncommons, and whatever rares/mythics fall your way via luck. Save the remainder of your packs for the second set in the block. Repeat.

• Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1-19
    Yvendros said:
    At this point, that is absolutely the smartest thing you could do. I have some ideas about how they might implement their conversion system and none of them are what I would term ideal (though perhaps they might be "fair", but that's a different discussion entirely). I'm not gonna talk about them here though, in case they decide they like them better than what they've cooked up themselves.

As for why I'm holding onto the bulk of my unopened packs, there are a few reasons. I'm only missing 3 non-referral rares from KLD, and I have all of them from AER. And I think I'm only missing one uncommon from the entirety of both blocks (Hidden Herbalists) which I am not necessarily dying to get except for the fact that it will help me complete a pre-made deck for both N2 and Aj2. The only mythic cards that would help me do any better at this point are Rishkar's Expertise and Lightning Runner. Now, I could go digging for them through my pile of KLD boosters, but if we are forced to convert our duplicates when their system is ready to implement, then I will have wasted a huge amount of potential resources for what might be a sure shot for both of those cards at that point.

The only potential downside I can see right now for holding onto them is the new Standard format. I might be limiting the amount of time I'll be able to use those cards in this new format, but even so, I will still be able to use them in other areas of the game.

Basically it's an exercise in delayed gratification, whereby I will almost certainly be more satisfied at that point than I will be if I open them all up right now.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have been hoarding but won't be opening until later (e.g. when new dupe system is explained or released)
    Yvendros said:
    Indeed. This is why I'm browsing the forums today, in search of the answer this question. I currently have 320 packs saved (302 of them are KLD block).
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1-19
    As soon as I heard about (on the forums and FB, at least) the new expansion I stopped opening and it's pretty crazy that in that time I already have amassed 12 packs.

Nope, you don't have to spend money to get the packs. I'll be sure to post my results, too, even if it's only 12 packs. o:)
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    50-99
    Yvendros said:
    Why not open them and then just not convert dupes to runes? What's the difference?
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yvendros said:
    Why not open them and then just not convert dupes to runes? What's the difference?

They're afraid that devs will mass convert their duplicates to runes before implementing the new system, but somehow miss the loophole that's described here in depth-Keeping packs unopened till it happens. 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    50-99
    oh ok now i understand
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    Yvendros said:

They're afraid that devs will mass convert their duplicates to runes before implementing the new system, but somehow miss the loophole that's described here in depth-Keeping packs unopened till it happens. 
    I like how the idea of force mass conversion is coming from players themselves, not devs.
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    50-99
    Drycha said:
    I'll just add to @madwren's answer: If you're new, earning packs from events might seem tough. But once you've been playing for a few months, even without spending any money, you can get enough cards from free packs to build a strong enough deck to regularly get most or all of the progression rewards from events. And once you get to that point, especially if you're in a good coalition, it doesn't take long to get most of the commons/uncommons and enough of the rares that opening packs doesn't feel worth it compared to waiting and getting a chance at a truly stupid card like Baral or Rishkar's Expertise. 
  • Shirikawa
    Shirikawa Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just a question, with the new update are now all myths from kld-set available? i want to open my ~70packs now ^^
  • Beastvold
    Beastvold Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    50-99
    Just opened 51 Kaladesh packs. I've been banking them for two months... so excited to crack them open once Amonkhet came out.

I got ONE mythic. And a bunch of dupe rares (13). So very, very discouraging. What a joke...

I'll post my results in the spreadsheet, so my misfortune won't go to waste. :(
  • DragonSorcerer
    DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    20-49
    Opened 27 packs, 7 rares, 6 are dupes
  • Beastvold
    Beastvold Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Options
    50-99
    @Volrak

Is it worth asking users to separate entries for different types of packs? (Booster, Super, Premium) I wonder if there are different percentages for each pack, and combining them together could skew the statistics.

When I uploaded, I just did two columns next to each other to separate my regular boosters from the super booster pack.
  • Azerack
    Azerack Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1-19
    12 packs and 1 new Mythical and 1 dupe rare (Oath of Ajani). The rest Unc and Common.

And not too-off topic, the two 25 and 15 pack of AKT I bought netted me 1 mythic and 4 rares.(all from the two 25 packs, 15 pack was all unc and comm).

Will update the page, too. :)
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    50-99
    Here's a video of my pack opening, in case anyone wants to log it: https://youtu.be/b2GDH2UwTG8 (49 straight packs)

I opened 3 mythics (all dupes, which is somewhat frustrating since I only have 11/40 KLD/AER mythics). Not sure about number of rares, but something like 8? At least one of those was new, though sadly not Deadlock Trap or Eliminate the Competition or Authority of the Consuls.
  • Infested
    Infested Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    50-99
    71 packs. 7 rates 2 mythics (both new).
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    50-99
    Main: 68 boosters, 1- 3 pack
    11 rares, mostly dupes, 3 mythics - aetherwind basker, territorial gorger,  kambal
    Alt: 58 boosters, 1 3-pack
    10 rares, 1 mythic - combustible gearhulk,  1 masterpiece - wurmcoil engine - it's possible to get mp from standard booster:)