How many hoarded KLD packs do you plan to crack open next week?

Options
Volrak
Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
edited May 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
With Amonkhet just around the corner, and Aether Revolt exclusives soon to be non-exclusive, it will be time for some of us to crack open KLD packs we've been hoarding.  How many hoarded packs do you plan to open next week?

For anyone with a large hoard: Your pack opening data is valuable, please don't let it go to waste!  Your data can be used to calculate more precise drop rates for cards of different rarities, and test various theories about drop probabilities.  You can capture the data in one of two ways:
  1. Enter your pack opening results in the Data - KLD/AER bulk open page of Octal9's spreadsheet
  2. Record a video, upload it, and post a link (someone else will enter the data in the spreadsheet)
Tips for recording video on a phone/tablet (use at your own discretion):

How many hoarded KLD packs do you plan to crack open next week? 79 votes

1-19
8%
AbenjesAzerackCiotogUweTellkampfObseenMatthewKyokudai 7 votes
20-49
16%
madwrenGreistalDragonSorcererGandhifrostIvoryOminakoturaJ23floMrMoustachesquark73srfinPhaseRazrbck08BostonBubba 13 votes
50-99
32%
nexus13mixed bagVolrakBeastvoldScotcampMainloop25cmassive13speakupaskanswerJames13GrizzoMtGPQZW2007-YawgmothCorn_NoodlesJopeX37Machinevoodoo_gremlinSzamszielwereotterDelnaiJaff 26 votes
100-199
7%
shteevspan_argomanparasith77babar3355Yvendrosjetnoctis 6 votes
200+
1%
DuskPaladin 1 vote
I haven't been hoarding
21%
EDHdadzoleszTHEMAGICkMANrafaleleKingEliukWaschecht[Deleted User]_Daromax_SarahschmarajulianusDropspottoastieLaeuftbeidirWingZeroTomvd10DamienFirinmahlazer 17 votes
I have been hoarding but won't be opening until later (e.g. when new dupe system is explained or released)
10%
majincobMonkeynutts85jetnoctisspadplMisterPeteefhktddyjkbTheDragonHermitPersonMan 8 votes
Other/neutral
1%
AngelForge 1 vote

Comments

• BostonBubba
    BostonBubba Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    20-49
    38 packs for me. I'll try to record and upload.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I haven't been hoarding
    I reccomend Game Screen Recorder for Android, just watch if it crashes and restart it. Happens every now and then. I haven't been hoarding though. I'm very bad at saving up :(
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    100-199
    I was going to crack a whole bunch of them I'd been saving when Masterpieces were introduced, but in the third pack I opened had a Dynavolt Tower in it, and I thought, "That'll do, pig. That'll do".
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    50-99
    When is the earliest we can crack these exclusives?
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    100-199

Typically as soon as the new set is released in the next patch.  You should see the word exclusive disappear from the cards in the gallery.

• Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    1-19
    I've got an old-school Big Box and two Fat Packs I'll be opening. I'm not sure how useful the data from those will be, considering how cards are no longer available in those forms. If I don't get Lightning Runner or Gonti's Heart in those bundles, then I'll probably open enough of the 96 KLD packs I have stored up right now until I get a mythic, and then stop there regardless of whether or not it's a duplicate for me. I wanna hold onto the rest of them and any other KLD stuff I get until the dupe system is released.
  • toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I haven't been hoarding
    I have been trying to get LR before more mythics get added to the pool. Hasn't happened though :(
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    50-99
    I'm at 62 right now and I can't wait to finally open packs again. Playing the game without regularly opening packs feels really pointless. 

I would add to that I would really like to have a bigger diversity of packs as rewards.
  • Matthew
    Options
    1-19
    toastie said:
    I have been trying to get LR before more mythics get added to the pool. Hasn't happened though :(
    That's why I'm gonna hold onto the bulk of my pile until the conversion system! Maybe it'll be a little easier to get by that point, if I'm not lucky enough to get it tomorrow.

Also, I want Rishkarsex, so that's one more reason to keep hoarding.
  • voodoo_gremlin
    voodoo_gremlin Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    50-99
    I'm going to be cracking 52 packs.

Any advice for when I should stop opening packs of Amonkhet, Is the logic after you've gotten all the uncommons, commons and 75% of the rares you want?
  • Matthew
    Options
    1-19
    I'm going to be cracking 52 packs.

Any advice for when I should stop opening packs of Amonkhet, Is the logic after you've gotten all the uncommons, commons and 75% of the rares you want?
    I'm considering two paths.

1) I'll open packs for the first 30 days, and then start accumulating them like I have been with KLD. I figure that will be enough time to gather most or all of the common and uncommon cards, and a decent enough number of rares that I can afford to wait it out until conversion.

2) Depending on the frequency and length of events, I may extend my 'open everything' period. Events give guaranteed rares. If they slow them down or draw them out, that will slow down the flow of rare cards.

There's also the fact that Hour of Devastation is coming in a month or three. I would like to hold at least some of the AMK-only packs that I get and open them after HoD gets here so that I can have a shot at pulling some of the AMK exclusives from a more limited pool of cards.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    20-49
    babar3355 said:

Typically as soon as the new set is released in the next patch.  You should see the word exclusive disappear from the cards in the gallery.

Remember the old days when they didn't have exclusives marked in the gallery?
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    100-199
    Matthew said:
    I've got an old-school Big Box and two Fat Packs I'll be opening. I'm not sure how useful the data from those will be, considering how cards are no longer available in those forms.
    You'd think that the drop rates between old and new packs wouldn't have changed. I'm sure if you ask @Brigby, he'll tell you all about the drop rates. And, if he doesn't have the figures to hand immediately, I bet he can ask Hibernum about them!
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I haven't been hoarding
    My attempts at hoarding were thwarted after QB went away and I desperately needed mana runes to level up my new PWs (tezz2 and now A2). Even so, I was unable to level them to 60 and the glitches in the matchmaking system made things very difficult 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    50-99
    My attempts at hoarding were thwarted after QB went away and I desperately needed mana runes to level up my new PWs (tezz2 and now A2). Even so, I was unable to level them to 60 and the glitches in the matchmaking system made things very difficult 
    With QB gone, why do you even need to level up your planeswalkers? There's no real advantage gained by leveling your walkers in PvP.
  • Sarahschmara
    Sarahschmara Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I haven't been hoarding
    With QB gone, why do you even need to level up your planeswalkers? There's no real advantage gained by leveling your walkers in PvP.
    Well, when my lvl 20 PWs is exclusively matched against lvl 60 PWs then leveling quickly becomes a priority. :smile:
  • Szamsziel
    Szamsziel Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    50-99
    Better mana gain, some achieves (win with+ life), more spells/creatures /supports allowing more diversity.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I haven't been hoarding
    shteev said:
    You'd think that the drop rates between old and new packs wouldn't have changed. I'm sure if you ask @Brigby, he'll tell you all about the drop rates. And, if he doesn't have the figures to hand immediately, I bet he can ask Hibernum about them!
    The sarcasm level of this post is so advanced I was afraid my screen would smash into pieces and a black hole might open right in it!

Since I'm facing planeswalkers with levels all over the place @Mainloop25, I find it nearly impossible to play anything but full leveled planeswalkers.

By the way : I decided to open everything quite away for one simple reason : I aim mostly for rares, since the chance of opening mythics is really low. Opening after the exclusive ones get available effectively lowers my chances of getting non dupe rares since I collected them already.

Overpowered RE as mythic is the best argument against that.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    50-99
    Well, when my lvl 20 PWs is exclusively matched against lvl 60 PWs then leveling quickly becomes a priority. :smile:
    Oh yeah, with that still screwed up, I can see that being a problem
  • DuskPaladin
    DuskPaladin Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    200+
    Been hoarding, everything left that I want are either Exclusives or Masterpieces.

I'd be great if we could have a chance to open any of the Exclusives naturally in packs. The buyers will still be guaranteed to get them anyways.