How has hoarding changed for you since vaulting?

Options

Comments

• NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I hoard the same amount as I always have since vaulting has been implemented
    I started hoarding on Feb. 1st when I foresaw all of the wasted covers I'd be getting without the resources to champ them. 
    Because on February 1st the 4* pool was so giant you couldn't catch up?
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I hoard more since vaulting has been implemented
    I'm trying to save up ISO until I've got enough to champ all the remaining latest 12.

Since I got a 14th Medusa from KK champ reward and thus champed her, ideally I'll have the necessary iso before she leaves the latest 12 and I'll be able to get some champ levels on her as well.

Otherwise, she'll end up being yet another 4* champ sent into the wilderness.
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll said:
    broll said:
    I'm currently hoarding less than I was before.  That's largely because before I was a massive hoarder saving up till I had thousands of CP and millions of ISO.  Have been hoarding less for 2 reasons:
    1.  I need to get to a point where I've champed enough of the current 12 that I have time to go back on my current hoard cycle (I'm about there now).
    2.  I keep getting to a point where my vaulted top tier characters have 12 covers and 1 dying on the vine.  So I keep trying to use BH to get that 13th cover to save me the 120 CP cost (2 for 2 right now)

Once I get to a point where I have the next 4-6 of the that will drop off champed and most/all of my vaulted top tiers I expect I will start hording more than before.  My hoarding goals will be come to champ all 12, then hoard for 8 months so I can insta hoard once I'm back to a fresh 12.  Not sure I'll ever get to quite that point or I'll have that much patience, but that seems to be the most optimal play in the new systems (if you don't care about 5*s).

If they do come out with SCL based scaling that may change that as that my finally drive me to be more agressive at get 5*s.  For now I feel no strong drive to max out any 5*s, I have a few at 6-8 covers and I'm fine with that, still have a lot of 4* ground to cover.  I do think that hoarding for 8 months will make it easier to max out 5*s if I choose from latest, which I probably will if they switch scaling.

It wouldn't surprise me if that approach would serve you well, (provided you pull your hoard from latest instead of classics) in 5* progression as well...  depends how much CP/LT you can hoard in 8 months I guess...

Seems like a long way off, and you'd have to snag that last hero before you started your 8 month hoard (the one that would have just been added to the tokens, C&D at the moment?)

If it wasn't for ISO requirements it wouldn't be that long. I have 6/12 champed now and a 7th at 13. The remaining:
    Blade 5/4/1 (10)
    Venom 1/5/5 (11)
    Mordo 5/4/1 (10)
    Agent Coleson 3/4/5 (12)
    Iron Fist 5/4/2 (11)

So for now I'm micro hoarding till I get caught up. I have Nova, Hulkbuster, and Medusa on deck for immediate champing then I plan to get caught up on ISO before I pull anymore, but that should only be a month at absolute most. 

Sounds like you're well on your way...  I'm in damage control mode now, pulling only when the next 4* up to be retired doesn't have 13 covers...  Its frustrating to see the hoard dwindle (and my chances to make meaningful 5* progress dwindle along with it) but I fear the availability of retired 4* covers will not be fixed, so I'm compelled to get em while the gettins good... 
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Cactus_Jack_87 Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    New McG said:
    I started hoarding on Feb. 1st when I foresaw all of the wasted covers I'd be getting without the resources to champ them. 

Sorry, I forgot that the new vaulting system hadn't been put into place at that point. I've been hoarding mainly to get the a brand new 5* fully covered, but the new system has complicated things a bit as far as who I choose to champ. It certainly does have its benefits, because I've been able to get some incredible characters champed at a crazy speed. But this also means that I'm going to have to champ Mordo over Rulk, Nova, or Star-Lord, just because I know I'm likely to pull 50 more covers for him.
  • MissChinch
    Options
    New McG said:

Sorry, I forgot that the new vaulting system hadn't been put into place at that point. I've been hoarding mainly to get the a brand new 5* fully covered, but the new system has complicated things a bit as far as who I choose to champ. It certainly does have its benefits, because I've been able to get some incredible characters champed at a crazy speed. But this also means that I'm going to have to champ Mordo over Rulk, Nova, or Star-Lord, just because I know I'm likely to pull 50 more covers for him.

IMO vaulting meshes well with hoarding for 4*s, but is in almost direct opposition to the hoarding for 5* reasons...  you can make it work, but the rate you have to acquire resources is substantially higher, understandably prohibitive for people.
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Options
    New McG said:

IMO vaulting meshes well with hoarding for 4*s, but is in almost direct opposition to the hoarding for 5* reasons...  you can make it work, but the rate you have to acquire resources is substantially higher, understandably prohibitive for people.
    What do you mean by direct opposition to hoarding for 5* reasons?
  • MissChinch
    Options
    New McG said:

I mean the most effective way to hoard in order to make meaningful progress in the 5* tier is to hoard until you have a sufficient number of pulls to use on either the latest legends or featured 5* stores...  There are differing opinions on how many pulls to hoard to, based on how risk averse you want to be, but the approach is to hoard a lot until you can concentrate your pulls on one set of 3 5*s.

Prior to vaulting, pulling months worth of tokens/CP all at once vs spreading them out daily didn't impact the distribution of your 4* pulls (negligible impact with 4*s being added every 3 weeks or so)

Post vaulting, hoarding for a long while will massively impact what 4*s you pull, and if you don't acquire resources fast enough and pull your hoard frequently enough, you'll be letting some 4*s retire without being fully covered, slipping into 4* purgatory where they have to wait in queue to be favorite'ed and then pulled as bonus heroes...

• Cactus_Jack_87
    Options
    New McG said:

I mean the most effective way to hoard in order to make meaningful progress in the 5* tier is to hoard until you have a sufficient number of pulls to use on either the latest legends or featured 5* stores...  There are differing opinions on how many pulls to hoard to, based on how risk averse you want to be, but the approach is to hoard a lot until you can concentrate your pulls on one set of 3 5*s.

Prior to vaulting, pulling months worth of tokens/CP all at once vs spreading them out daily didn't impact the distribution of your 4* pulls (negligible impact with 4*s being added every 3 weeks or so)

Post vaulting, hoarding for a long while will massively impact what 4*s you pull, and if you don't acquire resources fast enough and pull your hoard frequently enough, you'll be letting some 4*s retire without being fully covered, slipping into 4* purgatory where they have to wait in queue to be favorite'ed and then pulled as bonus heroes...

I do plan to spend my entire hoard in the next 5* exclusive vault store. I should have around 3200CP at that point, and I feel confident that I can get them fully covered with a 10% draw rate with (hopefully) around 1000CP to spare. I did this in the Purple Reign vault and got 11 Thanos covers with 1300 CP. As far as resources, I'm earning an average of 27K-30K ISO per day, and I'm not having to sell TOO many 4*s. I've had no problem getting them fully covered, it's just a matter of getting enough ISO to champ them in time. If I was opening CP as I got it, I would have an absolute flood of nonusable covers.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hoarding just isn't fun. 
    I used to save a lot more than I do now. There's a point where I accepted getting some dupe covers of the latest 12, and having to sell them. You'll get more, but if you don't hoard, you will earn useful covers much sooner than waiting.
    Dupe/unusable covers was much more disastrous prior to vaulting. 
    To be clear, Saving is different than Hoarding. It definitely is a good strategy to keep 120+ CP  and 300K+ iso on hand, and slow down on pulls at times to make saving easier. But that's not quite hoarding.
    Also, by not waiting as long as hoarding would make you, I've gotten crucial Bonus heroes on vaulted 4*s months sooner than I would have (able to champ Rulk, Peggy, SL, MKnight).
  • MissChinch
    Options
    New McG said:

I do plan to spend my entire hoard in the next 5* exclusive vault store. I should have around 3200CP at that point, and I feel confident that I can get them fully covered with a 10% draw rate with (hopefully) around 1000CP to spare. I did this in the Purple Reign vault and got 11 Thanos covers with 1300 CP. As far as resources, I'm earning an average of 27K-30K ISO per day, and I'm not having to sell TOO many 4*s. I've had no problem getting them fully covered, it's just a matter of getting enough ISO to champ them in time. If I was opening CP as I got it, I would have an absolute flood of nonusable covers.

I think that's the way to go, 5*s are far more rare than 4*s so spending the scarce resource (CP and LT) to efficiently cover 5*s is the way to go.

Vaulting made me have to pick between continuing to effectively cover 4*s or effectively cover 5*s. 

In just my case:  I was hoarding CP/LT when vaulting hit, still hoarding when Wasp was about to retire, she was only at about 7 covers for me then... 

I was at around 140 pulls, not enough to likely get close to 13 covers for any of the 3 5*s in latest legend (and the 140 number was factoring in CP plus LTs so how many I could pull from the featured SL 5* vault was even less)

I had the choice to wreck my 4* progress by letting a good 4* retire (with wasp) that would require 6 bonus hero pulls of proper cover color to just get covered, or wreck my 5* progress by wasting months of hoarding just to keep up with covering the good 4*s.  The two goals "well covering a 5*" and "progressing in the 4* tier" were mutually exclusive. 

Vaulting impacted the 4* tier, if I conform to the new mechanic trying to maintain my 4* progress I forfeit my ability to concentrate pulls on a subset of the 5* tier, which is why I say vaulting is in direct opposition to hoarding for 5* purposes...  it would be more accurate to say that the new mechanics of acquiring 4*s that is mandated by the vaulting change is in direct opposition with hoarding for most efficient 5* coverage.

You could still do both, but you would have to either accept more risk that you wont well cover the 5*s in latest by pulling a smaller hoard, or amass CP and LT at a much higher rate, high enough to pull hoards when youre comfortable and never have a 4* retiring with less than 13 covers...

• BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hoarding just isn't fun. 
    I used to save a lot more than I do now. There's a point where I accepted getting some dupe covers of the latest 12, and having to sell them. You'll get more, but if you don't hoard, you will earn useful covers much sooner than waiting.
    Dupe/unusable covers was much more disastrous prior to vaulting. 
    To be clear, Saving is different than Hoarding. It definitely is a good strategy to keep 120+ CP  and 300K+ iso on hand, and slow down on pulls at times to make saving easier. But that's not quite hoarding.
    Also, by not waiting as long as hoarding would make you, I've gotten crucial Bonus heroes on vaulted 4*s months sooner than I would have (able to champ Rulk, Peggy, SL, MKnight).
    I agree with this, it's just that I've got so many fully covered 4s now that need to be champed, I'd rather wait until I champ more of them before I keep pulling. To me there's a big difference between throwing away an unusable 6th cover of an ability, and throwing away a potential champ level for someone that's already fully covered. The 4* champion track hands out CP, Iso, and LTs like nobody's business, so each champ level is very valuable. 
  • Cactus_Jack_87
    Options
    I think that's the way to go, 5*s are far more rare than 4*s so spending the scarce resource (CP and LT) to efficiently cover 5*s is the way to go.

Vaulting made me have to pick between continuing to effectively cover 4*s or effectively cover 5*s. 

In just my case:  I was hoarding CP/LT when vaulting hit, still hoarding when Wasp was about to retire, she was only at about 7 covers for me then... 

I was at around 140 pulls, not enough to likely get close to 13 covers for any of the 3 5*s in latest legend (and the 140 number was factoring in CP plus LTs so how many I could pull from the featured SL 5* vault was even less)

I had the choice to wreck my 4* progress by letting a good 4* retire (with wasp) that would require 6 bonus hero pulls of proper cover color to just get covered, or wreck my 5* progress by wasting months of hoarding just to keep up with covering the good 4*s.  The two goals "well covering a 5*" and "progressing in the 4* tier" were mutually exclusive. 

Vaulting impacted the 4* tier, if I conform to the new mechanic trying to maintain my 4* progress I forfeit my ability to concentrate pulls on a subset of the 5* tier, which is why I say vaulting is in direct opposition to hoarding for 5* purposes...  it would be more accurate to say that the new mechanics of acquiring 4*s that is mandated by the vaulting change is in direct opposition with hoarding for most efficient 5* coverage.

You could still do both, but you would have to either accept more risk that you wont well cover the 5*s in latest by pulling a smaller hoard, or amass CP and LT at a much higher rate, high enough to pull hoards when youre comfortable and never have a 4* retiring with less than 13 covers...

I've had to sell quite a few Wasps before I finally got her champed, but I've kept my eye on the prize. Rumor has it that the next 5* will be incredible, so I'm confident that it will pay off. I've been hoarding with my alliance, and I've actually been enjoying it, and it's been very helpful in maintaining my resources. They key is to have as many of the latest 4*s champed as possible so that when I make 100-130 pulls in the 5* vault,, my wasted covers will be minimal.
  • MissChinch
    Options

I've had to sell quite a few Wasps before I finally got her champed, but I've kept my eye on the prize. Rumor has it that the next 5* will be incredible, so I'm confident that it will pay off. I've been hoarding with my alliance, and I've actually been enjoying it, and it's been very helpful in maintaining my resources. They key is to have as many of the latest 4*s champed as possible so that when I make 100-130 pulls in the 5* vault,, my wasted covers will be minimal.

I was targeting ~300 pulls (an alliance member pulled in the mid 200s and ended up not covering a single 5* I believe, while another had ~300 and went nearly flawless with distribution)

You mention hoarding, and the key being having as many of the latest 4*s championed as possible (I agree the more 4* champions you have that are possible pull results, not only do you not have a cover you have to deal with but you get a reward to boot) are two competing options concerning what to do with your CP/LTs.  You can hoard the 20CP/25CP/1LT or you can choose to not hoard it and develop 4*s, hoping they will still be around when the hoard is big enough to risk pulling.

I think theres a good argument to completely forsake the 4* tier entirely and amass the hoard much faster to get more fully covered 5*s (4*s start to become far less relevant as multiple 5*s get champed).  This sounds boring to me but its likely the most efficient way to maximize progress.

Theres also an argument to be made to only hoard when you aren't at risk of letting a 4* retire that's not fully covered.  This is personally a more fun option, but crushes my 5* progress, wasting months of hoarded pulls to make sure I don't fall behind on covering 4*s.

• Cactus_Jack_87
    Options

Theres also an argument to be made to only hoard when you aren't at risk of letting a 4* retire that's not fully covered.  This is personally a more fun option, but crushes my 5* progress, wasting months of hoarded pulls to make sure I don't fall behind on covering 4*s.

Having a fully covered Thanos changed my game. Wasp, while I love using her, is not a game changer. 5*s are the ultimate goal for me. Again, if the rumors about the next 5* turn out to be true, it's going to be WELL worth it! :)
  • MissChinch
    Options

Having a fully covered Thanos changed my game. Wasp, while I love using her, is not a game changer. 5*s are the ultimate goal for me. Again, if the rumors about the next 5* turn out to be true, it's going to be WELL worth it! :)

I'm betting the best strategy is to ignore the 4*s all together and not waste resources that could be better spent in 5* territory...  I'm just greedy, and liked being able to hoard for 5*s while not watching heroes pass into retirement with minimal covers and almost no chance of every championing them and playing with em...

I'm too far behind to expect to be able to have a hoard big enough to fully cover him, but now you've got me intrigued about the next 5* ;)

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Before the Bonus heroes and Vaulting system, I had 6 out of the 12 most recent 4*s champed.   I had achieved a state of play where I could generally champ a character fairly quickly after I had drawn the last cover - the only cover-maxed 4* I had that was not a champion was Devil Dinosaur (whom I intended to champ when I got an extra cover for her.)

Vaulting did change that, at least temporarily.  I very quickly covered most of that 12 (Coulson took me a while since I didn't have much of him,) and so I ended up having to hoard LTs while I got my current 4*s up to speed.  I absolutely destroyed my 2* farm to play catch up - for a brief period of time I was down to 4 champed 2*s.

At this point I'm mostly caught up.  I'm up to 7 champed 2*s and am gathering the Iso for Iron Fist to champ him - my Cloak and Dagger are at four covers so it will probably be a few weeks for them.  The real snag is that a) need to max out Thanos and Black Panther probably wont' be far behind, and b) I'll start making new 3*s soon as my current ones max out - I'm seven covers away from a new GSBW.

So the short answer is yes - the vaulting system caused me to hoard more.  I generally follow some fairly simple rules

- I don't draw LTs (unless I have a very compelling reason to do so,) if they will result in an additional cover that I will not afford to apply (e.g. my Black Panther is at 12 covers, if I draw one more I'll stop until I know I can level him in two weeks.)

- I draw pretty much anything else as the chance of the above is low or none.  I do hoard Tacos for health packs.  If I need to let a cover expire, I let a cover expire following the below rules.

- Each level of cover is worth pretty much an infinite amount of the covers of the level below it - e.g. if it's a choice between letting 1 5* cover expire or 3 4* covers expire, I'll let the 4* covers expire.  If I have 1 Iron First cover and 3 3* Star Lord covers, but don't have enough Iso for both... sorry Peter, you're waiting for Danny.  If it's a choice between applying 1 3* Hawkeye or 10 Ares covers... I'll sell the covers for 2500 Iso and level Clint.

• Cactus_Jack_87
    Options

I'm betting the best strategy is to ignore the 4*s all together and not waste resources that could be better spent in 5* territory...  I'm just greedy, and liked being able to hoard for 5*s while not watching heroes pass into retirement with minimal covers and almost no chance of every championing them and playing with em...

I'm too far behind to expect to be able to have a hoard big enough to fully cover him, but now you've got me intrigued about the next 5* ;)

I've been having no problem getting them fully covered from PvP and PvE rewards, and I do cash in LTs as needed if I need to finish up a 4* to prevent covers from dying on the vine.
  • PriceCzech
    PriceCzech Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    I was hoarding before, and was planning to open just before vaulting was implemented. Now I'm just continuing to hoard until some improvements are made. Sitting on quite a stash of CP and Legendary Tokens.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I never used to hoard.  CP and tokens were spent/opened as soon as I acquired them.  I don't have the resources to whale 5* and I don't have the patience to accumulate enough tokens through regular play to stand a decent shot of fully covering the latest, much less the classics.

I found that I didn't need to hoard because every cover was useful.  I had enough hp flow to roster characters I didn't have yet and enough Iso flow to champ a fully covered 4* before their 14th cover expired.  I'd only stop opening/spending when I was actively champing a 4* and would be in danger of not being able to make enough Iso in time to avoid losing the next.

I'm using the same strategy as I was before, but vaulting has meant that I'm covering the new ones quicker.  When it was dilute I was gradually building everyone, so the overlap of fully covered characters needing Iso was ~ 3-4 weeks apart - plenty of time to save up the Iso to champ.

I'd saved up 12 legendary tokens until Wasp exited the pool - I had her fully covered but not enough resources to champ her in time (having depleted my 2* farm bank on the prior 2 champ attempts, I needed to rebuild).  I only opened them to get a crack at Thanos before he cycles out.  I'm now sitting on almost 400 cp, because I've got a 14th Blade.  I've also got two covers that are 6th in color that will expire - I could open a bunch now and probably get them cover-maxed so I could use them (they're at 10 and 11 covers now), but I'd likely be wasting about half the covers because I won't earn enough to champ all of the characters I generate excess colors for before expiration.

From the inception of CP until vaulting, the most I'd ever had in my bank was 60 cp, and that's only because several alliance members bought starks during the last sale.  My decision is hoard or waste, so I'm hoarding.
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    More now since all but Cloack and Dagger (already at 12) are fully covered and with pve focusing more on latest 12 i always have one of the latest to work on. Finishing Riri then Spider-Woman > Mordo. After that i will open my small hoard and decide which one of the remaining non-champed 12 is next (Coulson, Cage, C&D or Fist).

If can finish all the above soon (ish with the lack of iso available) i believe i can stop hoarding in roughly 2 months.