Which of these two will make you quit MPQ?

Options

Comments

• _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tolken wrote:
    (When everyone is super, No one is)
    And what happens when all the enemies are super and curbstomping every player that isn't super?
  • One thing I've often noted about these kinds of threads (and this one is offering nothing new) is that the people never say what place they're in. If a guy who is fighting to place in the top 250 is currently fighting level 250+ mobs, I'll be very, very surprised. If you're fighting for the tier 3 covers, expect a little indirect competition through community scaling. If you're fighting for the tier 4 cover, expect a little more. If you've been consistently getting all the tier 3 and 4 covers in the past 5 events, expect even more. To me, that makes perfect sense (at least as long as they continue this concept of competitive PVE, which I certainly don't agree with - let's complain about that instead).

I didn't vote b/c neither option is accurate. I won't quit b/c of scaling - I'll eventually quit b/c the game is 1-dimensional and there needs to be other game modes or less competitive side options to keep me occupied. For this event, I'm not seeing mobs that I can't handle, and I still haven't broken out my Spidey. I'm 5th place in my main, 78K points, and only a couple nodes over 290. Granted, I can't fight too many of those nodes at once, but I also have a number of sub-100 nodes I can go hit for decent points as well.
  • I would quit when the game gets boring for me or I felt like it was too hard (in terms of getting my characters leveled and/or getting covers) or taking too much time to be competitive.
  • Gun to head if I had to choose. I think rage quit. People like a challenge but they also like to win. You wouldn't keep doing the same thing if you keep losing over and over. Only reason you do that is if you know or can see a light at the end of your tunnel. Making 500 investments calls a week and landing a big fish is a good example. Alot of rejection but there is a payoff. This...not quite the same payoff...just some thoughts.
  • It's less about easy vs hard for me. I just want a game that's fun and fair. Pvp is pretty good right now, but pve seems a bit of a mess and the current level scaling implementation doesn't seem to help imo.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just want a game that's fun and fair. Pvp is pretty good right now
    Stop dilluding yourself, there's nothing fair about pooling midgets and giants together. Especially not if giants can break the rules arbitrarily and without consequence, stepping over the cord that separates them from the midgets and then smooshing them under foot. 'Tanking' should not be a thing; The MMR needs to be fixed. Equal roster strength needs to compete against equal roster strength. Until this is realized there is absolutely nothing fair about PvP as is right now.

And no; I am not butthurt about losing or something silly like that. Though it is a hassle, I still manage to place in the top 25 / top 50 area of PvP events I decide to play in. It requires playing along in the 'giants' little MMR manipulation game a for a bit every now and again, to avoid running into them. In turn that makes me pick on other little guys. I cannot avoid that, sadly. I guess the takeaway is that long term success at PvP boils down to either bullying or being bullied... and that's a very, very wrong place to be.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Riggy wrote:
    One thing I've often noted about these kinds of threads (and this one is offering nothing new) is that the people never say what place they're in. If a guy who is fighting to place in the top 250 is currently fighting level 250+ mobs, I'll be very, very surprised. If you're fighting for the tier 3 covers, expect a little indirect competition through community scaling. If you're fighting for the tier 4 cover, expect a little more. If you've been consistently getting all the tier 3 and 4 covers in the past 5 events, expect even more. To me, that makes perfect sense (at least as long as they continue this concept of competitive PVE, which I certainly don't agree with - let's complain about that instead).

I didn't vote b/c neither option is accurate. I won't quit b/c of scaling - I'll eventually quit b/c the game is 1-dimensional and there needs to be other game modes or less competitive side options to keep me occupied. For this event, I'm not seeing mobs that I can't handle, and I still haven't broken out my Spidey. I'm 5th place in my main, 78K points, and only a couple nodes over 290. Granted, I can't fight too many of those nodes at once, but I also have a number of sub-100 nodes I can go hit for decent points as well.
    Same situation as you at the moment - problem is we still have 4 more days to go. I suspect scaling will go crazy for me. The sub-100 nodes aren't giving me decent points.
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Right. Any sub 100 node, I'm lucky to get anything above 60 point in.

I'm at 70k in my bracket, literally have not played the pve all day now.

In the last version of Florida, it was enough trying to tackle 240 venom/ares/daken. Not going to continue with that just cause I got slammed into some other bracket. I simply don't have the right characters at the right levels to constantly do that again and again. Of course, I have to use obw, about the only way I can continue. And my spidey, only level 66 1/0/5. Still used him on a few rougher nodes.

to me, if they want to implement **** tactics like level 300 or 400 DA or goons, first, that is simply lazy development, period. Second, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the buffed nature of a character actually buffed up more to compensate to give you a fighting chance. Sure, 300 ares/venom/daken.....think my 2400 hp spidey is going to last very long?

When they decide that now all of a sudden, you have to go up against a combined hp total over 25k, that's simply broken and bad system construction.
  • I have to say that the scaling system is getting better. Used to be if you pushed scaling to max then all your nodes were 3x230 (max back then). Now at least they are implementing reasonable node level caps so if the hardest node is scaled out of your range there are still some nodes you can play.

The thing is that even at lvl 400 the missions are still beatable, so I don't see scaling going away. Granted you have to abuse the hell out of boosts and game mechanics (spidey stun, cMags, mStorm, etc).

The problem I find with scaling is that this game was supposed to be a fun way to kill some time, but once scaling reaches a certain point playing becomes a chore. I know I have a choice not to play, but I generally still like this game and want to keep playing. However, in order for me to continue to have fun in this game I have to compete well enough to get the new covers so I can continue to compete in future events. If I fall behind and find myself not able to compete then I will lose interest in the game. It's actually the competitive nature of the game that has held my interest this long in the first place.

TL:DR version: Scaling sucks but it's getting better.
  • It's enough to quit PVE for starters.
  • Knyghtmare
    Options
    Let me put it this way. A lvl. 390 Ares does over 5000 damage for his green. He only required 5 green to do this. There is no way this can be a good thing. Personally, I feel you're punishing people for doing too well. If I made a strong enough team of 3 lvl 141s that they can beat a lvl. 240, you shouldn't make it that they scale to the point that they are unbeatable without a lot of luck. We shouldn't be required to use flaws in the game in order to succeed (tanking). We should be able to play the game straight and have a legit chance.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Riggy wrote:
    One thing I've often noted about these kinds of threads (and this one is offering nothing new) is that the people never say what place they're in. If a guy who is fighting to place in the top 250 is currently fighting level 250+ mobs, I'll be very, very surprised. If you're fighting for the tier 3 covers, expect a little indirect competition through community scaling. If you're fighting for the tier 4 cover, expect a little more. If you've been consistently getting all the tier 3 and 4 covers in the past 5 events, expect even more. To me, that makes perfect sense (at least as long as they continue this concept of competitive PVE, which I certainly don't agree with - let's complain about that instead).

Agreed. I have been using Spidey the whole time (granted only healing when absolutely necessary to play within at time frame) and it is only now rearing it's ugly face. I see no problem with the upper tier players having to work for their covers like the lower tiers do. High level players should not be entitled to the best rewards without a specific degree of effort. While veterans should have an advantage, those who invest the most time for an event should be rewarded properly.
  • kensterr
    Options
    I'm not upper tier
  • Ennemy can be lvl 400 or lvl 9 thousand !!!

spidey + cmag for HC gamer
    or OBW, thor, m storm ( yea lvl 50 ) for others

U can stunlock or perma-cast before first timer end.
  • kensterr
    Options
    exenae wrote:
    Ennemy can be lvl 400 or lvl 9 thousand !!!

spidey + cmag for HC gamer
    or OBW, thor, m storm ( yea lvl 50 ) for others

U can stunlock or perma-cast before first timer end.
    And because of abusing that the devs will next make the enemies level 9000. Thanks for giving them the idea
  • I believe Norman Osborn has managed to recreate the Super Soldier Serum. What other explanation can there be for how the Dark Avengers have such sudden increases in power and health beyond the versions we can field? Or does he possess some alternate versions of these characters? Not to mention what he must do to the NORMAL HUMANS he recruits to H.A.M.M.E.R. to enable them to stand up to a maxed God of Thunder! Also if he can make sniper rifles that can one shot the afore-mentioned God wouldn't he give them to everybody?
    Scaling up of enemies is the cheapest and worse way to increase a games difficulty and longevity, especially so when the rewards in this game can be so pitiful - 20 iso for the cost of 3 heroes sitting out for 4 hrs? Who wants that?
    As i level my character i want to feel I am getting more powerful and not have the goons miraculously find a way to outstrip me in levels and health. It was the same in Oblivion when the wolves strangely got tougher as you increased in level - sheer stupidity! It just makes no sense for a goon to become that powerful.
    What makes this all even worse is that the scaling of the enemies is not dependent on my roster of heroes or indeed anyone elses but in how many other people have done better than me????? ****???? The difficulty of my single-player PVE game dpends on how other people are doing? In what universe does this even begin to make any sense??
    I do not use boosts very often unless I have them, I am not gonna spend my real money on Health packs for a game, I never shield, I dont use Hero points to level my characters, but I have already spent more money on this game than I would have on a full price game, for hero points to buy Roster slots.

All this is here, in my opinion, because the devs know that they are unable to programme decent AI so they resort to the old standby of 1980s games and just ramp it all up to impossible to tolerate levels..

I may have gone a bit OTT or off track in there somewhere, if so I apologise!!!
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    I just want a game that's fun and fair. Pvp is pretty good right now
    Stop dilluding yourself, there's nothing fair about pooling midgets and giants together. Especially not if giants can break the rules arbitrarily and without consequence, stepping over the cord that separates them from the midgets and then smooshing them under foot. 'Tanking' should not be a thing; The MMR needs to be fixed. Equal roster strength needs to compete against equal roster strength. Until this is realized there is absolutely nothing fair about PvP as is right now.

And no; I am not butthurt about losing or something silly like that. Though it is a hassle, I still manage to place in the top 25 / top 50 area of PvP events I decide to play in. It requires playing along in the 'giants' little MMR manipulation game a for a bit every now and again, to avoid running into them. In turn that makes me pick on other little guys. I cannot avoid that, sadly. I guess the takeaway is that long term success at PvP boils down to either bullying or being bullied... and that's a very, very wrong place to be.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. What rules exactly are being broken? And why is it unfair if it's massively easier for the guy with the super team to win than for the guy with a 1+ roster. Isn't that kinda part of the point of the game?
  • To me, it is the moving goal posts that are 3* rewards. Today was the first time since the changes that I managed to pull a 3* token from any token pack (came from a standard token, surprisingly, after pulling dozens of 1* covers over the course of the PvE event). Before all of the changes to covers I actually managed to create a pretty decent Punisher (he's at 1/3/5 currently) but I can't make any headway on building a 3* team, or getting any of my current 3*s to have more than 2-3 covers. The alliance-only reward covers also moved that goal post yet again. It is quite tiring and I found that the amount of time I've been playing MPQ has been dropping steadily as a result.
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Riggy wrote:
    One thing I've often noted about these kinds of threads (and this one is offering nothing new) is that the people never say what place they're in. If a guy who is fighting to place in the top 250 is currently fighting level 250+ mobs, I'll be very, very surprised.

Because of how scaling works, and because points don't scale, that's not really true. I know several others who play this game, and while I have more overall points in the Hunt than anyone else I know, my scaling is somewhat easier than theirs. Why? I'm not really sure why, who the heck knows how scaling works anyhow?

But if I had to guess it would be because I tend to keep my healthpacks on cooldown more consistently than they do and I've been avoiding in-battle healing since IceIX made that post last week.

I could also see someone playing the crud out of one sub-event and getting really nasty battles for the rest of the event. I tend to say "I would like more points but I don't want more scaling. Even though I can easily beat these, if I don't get a lot of points, I will leave them there."
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't think either option is really the thing that will lead me to quit. The thing that bothers me the most can be expressed in one word: repetition.

I don't find any of the events too difficult. Scaling can be a bit unbalanced sometimes, but I can usually manage clearing all nodes once. The problem is that if I want to place or get any good rewards, I need to repeat that run twelve times. The repetition is just starting erode interest and motivation. It makes a game feel like a bad job.