5* acquistion rate

sinnerjfl
sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
I remember that the rate of acquisition of 5*'s was supposedly something the developpers we're trying to improve/tweak, this was part of a list of things they wanted to tackle on. This was months ago.

Nothing has changed at all and it just keeps getting worse if the 5* you want is in the Classic LT's.

Bonus heroes are not a fix...  15% chance then a 5% chance...   the odds of that happening are very very slim.

Is this still something that's looked at?

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've completely given up on classics as a way to transition.

I sarcastically would suggest that folks "only" need two 5*'s to do well in the game - and getting transition methods to long-time players doesn't earn them any money.

And I suggest this due to what I've seen in other areas of the game - very rarely is "long time played" given any advantage over "paid tons of money recently".
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    True, the only good way to cover 5*s right now is to hoard for many months, then open latest.  I'm hoping that they will introduce another method of obtaining 5* covers, that isn't a placement reward. 
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    After over a year of dumping ALL my CP into the classic vault my Phoenix still sits at 3/3/5 (where she was when she went into classic). I've pulled other 5s but not her- she is my best covered (and favorite) 5, though just recently I pulled my 11th IM46. Classic vault is where 5s go to die..... Also to this point I have yet to pull a bonus hero on a 5 pull- Phoenix is my only favorited 5.....

EDIT: I'm beginning to think RNGesus doesn't want me to champ her.....
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:

Bonus heroes are not a fix...  15% chance then a 5% chance...   the odds of that happening are very very slim.

I suspect bonus heroes was the fix.  It's about a 0.75% chance of pulling a bonus hero that's a 5*.  So a little less than 1 out 100.  So yeah not great.  I've seen 1 so far.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    I am a basically free player (a few vips), but i eventually got two championed 5*s (phx and cap), plus my oml has 12 covers.

It's very silly though, because I spent months spinning my wheels, and then out of the blue it just happened. It's not like i suddenly started playing better. RNGesus simply decided to smile on me. It's cool, but I don't feel like i earned it. I wish there was a steadier form of progression, other than spending 720 cp for a single cover.
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2017
    I switched over to latest legends tokens on January 1st of this year after pulling 5 unusable 5*s the week before. Starting with 4 Thanos covers it took me 234 pulls to finally max cover him on April 11. Since April 11 I pulled another 63 latest tokens. My Black Panther is now at 10 covers and Hawkeye is at 6 covers. I got Dr Strange up to 11 covers before he left latest tokens. Now he joins all the other classics that have become lost causes among them are Phoenix and surfer with 12 covers, oml with 10 covers and Green Goblin and Hulk with 9 covers. 

For time played I'm on day 1284 today. During my time pulling from latests I've been vip and bought a stark with a group to give an idea of time vs money spent.

I also remember hearing that 5*s should require fewer covers to be usable than other tiers but my experience is anything with less than the right build with at least 10 covers is almost useless.

Oh, and I have yet to pull a bonus 5* after pulling 27 5*s in 175 pulls since bonus heros were introduced. 
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    bbigler said:
    True, the only good way to cover 5*s right now is to hoard for many months, then open latest.  I'm hoping that they will introduce another method of obtaining 5* covers, that isn't a placement reward. 
    I open as I go. I started when Black Bolt left (bad move, I know). Since then, I have 458 Widow, 461 Strange, 470 Thanos, 456 Panther, and 1/1/3 Hawkeye. 

You're right. Hoarding is the only way.
  • KFloppy
    KFloppy Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    @RemoDestroyer: I have a 2/1/2 5* Black Widow which is very usable to me, but I'm in 3* land with 9 covers on my highest 4*.  I guess she would need a lot more covers if I was in 4* land.
  • bbigler
    Peej13 said:
    bbigler said:
    I open as I go. I started when Black Bolt left (bad move, I know). Since then, I have 458 Widow, 461 Strange, 470 Thanos, 456 Panther, and 1/1/3 Hawkeye. 

How many LL tokens are you opening in a week? 

I get about 2 - 3 LL tokens and 140 CP in a week, which equals about 8 pulls.
    They release a 5* every 6 weeks, and only 3 are in LL, so that means a 5* is in the pool for 18 weeks. 
    18 weeks x 8 pulls = 144 pulls x 15% chance of 5* = 21.6 covers divided by 3 characters = 7.2 covers per 5*
    Even with Bonus Heroes and 4* Champ Rewards, you would only get 1 more cover per 5*.
    The last time I checked, it took 13 covers to champ a character and not 8.

So, unless you're a whale in a buy club opening 15+ LL in a week, then hoarding is the only way to fully cover a 5*.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler said:
    Peej13 said:
    bbigler said:

They release a 5* every 6 weeks, and only 3 are in LL, so that means a 5* is in the pool for 18 weeks. 
    18 weeks x 8 pulls = 144 pulls x 15% chance of 5* = 21.6 covers divided by 3 characters = 7.2 covers per 5*
    Even with Bonus Heroes and 4* Champ Rewards, you would only get 1 more cover per 5*.

So, unless you're a whale in a buy club opening 15+ LL in a week, then hoarding is the only way to fully cover a 5*.
    You
     don't need to be in a buy club to get 15 Latest Legends pulls a week. It's been my average when I've been hoarding these last four months or so. Haven't been in any buy clubs, I can just hit most of the rewards.
    I opened my hoard tonight and was able to champ all three fivestars. I would probably have gotten roughly the same results if I had opened as I went along, though I would have had more covers for Black Widow and Dr Strange and less for Black Panther and Hawkeye.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    I remember that the rate of acquisition of 5*'s was supposedly something the developpers we're trying to improve/tweak, this was part of a list of things they wanted to tackle on. This was months ago.

Nothing has changed at all and it just keeps getting worse if the 5* you want is in the Classic LT's.

I pulled 3 5* hawkeye covers in a short period of time. I was pumped because I actually like hawkeye. Well, 20+ packs later.... Nothing..... Just hobofist and Gwen pool.... 
  • bbigler
    sinnerjfl said:

I pulled 3 5* hawkeye covers in a short period of time. I was pumped because I actually like hawkeye. Well, 20+ packs later.... Nothing..... Just hobofist and Gwen pool.... 
    Hobofist? He reminds me more of Chuck Norris.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster said:
    bbigler said:
    Peej13 said:
    bbigler said:

You
     don't need to be in a buy club to get 15 Latest Legends pulls a week. It's been my average when I've been hoarding these last four months or so. Haven't been in any buy clubs, I can just hit most of the rewards.
    I opened my hoard tonight and was able to champ all three fivestars. I would probably have gotten roughly the same results if I had opened as I went along, though I would have had more covers for Black Widow and Dr Strange and less for Black Panther and Hawkeye.
    Just want to second this.  Like PJ I have been opening all LLs since Bolt left and have also champed Nat, Strange, Thanos, and Panther.  Strange/Nat had a head start due to my hoard, but Thanos/Panther have filled in nicely without needing to hoard or use buy clubs.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    sinnerjfl said:
    I remember that the rate of acquisition of 5*'s was supposedly something the developers we're trying to improve/tweak, this was part of a list of things they wanted to tackle on. This was months ago.
    Did they ever say this? I don't remember it at all. 4* acquisition rate, yes -- but not 5*. AFAIK, 5*s are supposed to be hard to get, and there are no plans to change that....
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    DaveR4470 said:
    Did they ever say this? I don't remember it at all. 4* acquisition rate, yes -- but not 5*. AFAIK, 5*s are supposed to be hard to get, and there are no plans to change that....
    It was not an official announcement or anything but part of a roadmap that was posted.

The problem is not thats it's hard to get 5*'s, the problem is it's entirely based on RNG so some people are just getting tinykittied and can't move on to the next tier.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find the progress impossible in the game. Sure - I keep championing 4* but the 5* land remains in the galaxy far, far away. As it stands I will soon champion Blade and only Riri, Coulson, Mordo, Iron Fist and C&D remain. But is it really only?

C&D are sitting at 2 covers, all the others are at 9-12. And Rocket will move the needle to 6 again in couple of weeks. So I might keep opening the classic legendaries to cover them but in reality I mainly get champion levels. If I decide to hoard everything (and I already hoard LT) then I need 6-10 months to get the CP to pull 280 times (I am not sure about the calculation, I have 71 LT stashed and 250 CP). In that time I would hoard millions of iso but all the 4* would be new. I would have no progression at all until the day I pull and my iso stash might not be enough to cover both the 12 4* and the 5*. Also - there is no telling what will be the 5* at the end of the line as well (i won't make it for Hawkeye and I think i like to skip star-lord). 

If I don't hoard CP and keep adding covers (slowly as currently only 22 out of 156 can be a new cover - the rest will be doubles or champions levels) there is no way I can progress into 5* land. 

Viscous circle. 
  • MissChinch
    MissChinch Posts: 509 Critical Contributor

Hoarding to pull latest legends all at once, or to pull the featured intro 5* vault (when its just that character at 10% odds) is far and away the best way to go about getting a well covered 5*....

But, guess what, with vaulting it now requires you to mortgage progress in the 4* tier to do, and that'll be the case even if they provide all the 4*s in classic tokens.  (oh and if you want to not waste covers that you draw on the 4*s, better save up on the order of 5.5Mil ISO to champ all the new characters you will not have been pulling cause youre hoarding.)

Bonus heroes was the solution to the same issue we saw on the 4* tier, no reason not to expect the concept to carry over to 5*s, so pull classics now if you want to get any of that diluted pool before they're all retired and your only option is to pull from a subset of the latest 5*s.

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    bbigler said:
    Peej13 said:
    bbigler said:

You
    Just want to second this.  Like PJ I have been opening all LLs since Bolt left and have also champed Nat, Strange, Thanos, and Panther.  Strange/Nat had a head start due to my hoard, but Thanos/Panther have filled in nicely without needing to hoard or use buy clubs.
    Thirded - I started going only LL when I got a bit lucky with the regular Latests I was pulling for Strange, and since have champed Strange/Thanos/BP.

Note it's 3*'s that got me there - and I suggest between that timing and hoard timing is why we see SO many more Thanos/BP than we do Nat/BB.

Also note that like I suggested earlier, I've given up on classics. It's a real bummer to know that I have the Latest done, but will never have a chance to finish the classics (with dillution getting worse all the time). Really wish Classics would go to 5% chance on each 5* in there.
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    Classic vault is where 5*so go to die, devs really need to implement a 5* only vault 
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I imagine we might one day see a 5* only token, but my guess is the CP cost would be higher than anyone really wants to invest against RNG.