PSA: Updates to Forum Rules (5/1/17)

Options
2»

Comments

• toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:

The reason we had to add that rule is because we've had instances in the past where CS ticket conversations and private messages were being publicized and presented out of context in order to support a player's claim / opinion, leading to outrage that was fueled by misinformation.
    That sounds like it should fall under "misleading information" rather than inventing a new category that just happens to sweep up a ton of customer interaction.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think D3/Brigby is referring to the same type of outrage as we've noticed when they increased animation speed which was slowed down in the next update. I am still looking for a single person who was complaining at that time about those super quick animation speeds.....

Porky Porky Lies.

That one actually happened. A few people were complaining they couldn't track the action. 
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,229 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll raise my hand for that one, I thought that the super-fast speeds were too fast. Maybe it's my old eyes, but it made the board more confusing, particularly not being able to discern what was activating what ability due to everything happening at warp speed.  I advocated that it be dialed back a bit. If we started at 40, and it went to 100, I was hoping for it to be 75-80. 

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    I think D3/Brigby is referring to the same type of outrage as we've noticed when they increased animation speed which was slowed down in the next update. I am still looking for a single person who was complaining at that time about those super quick animation speeds.....

Porky Porky Lies.

That one actually happened. A few people were complaining they couldn't track the action. 
    Yeah, I remember it happening too... I thought it was after the 1.7 update? I'm looking through the old forum posts at the moment but I can't seem to find it (although I've found some really amusing old JC posts about how Reach should cost more than Flying and how Zulaport Cutthroat is well costed)

I figure, if someone can link back to the posts about the animation speeds, then we can clear up this difference of opinion about whether it happened or not.

That's how we move forwards as a species, by sharing, rather than censorship.

[edit] I found this thread about game speed

[edit] Ooh, and here's another one! It includes me, personally, complaining about game speeds! Although, there is quite a lot of nuance to everybody's arguments which seems to have been lost with the passage of time.
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ohboy said:

Porky Porky Lies.

can you point at least one person who complained.

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi Everyone. The incident I was referencing was not an MtGPQ occurrence, but rather one that happened on the MPQ side. I won't list names, as that's against the rules, but here is a brief summary:

A player submitted a ticket claiming there was a bug. Customer Support explained the mechanics of PvP, and resolved the ticket. Player was adamant it was a bug though, so they posted their ticket responses to the forums to express their frustration with them and the developers. This rallied some negative attention, until a top-ranking player explained that the "bug" was actually a high-level technique used to avoid being targeted. 

This was a more mild example, but as you can see, we want to avoid situations where Customer Support replies are taken out of context or used for misinformation.

I hope that explains the reasoning behind the forum rule better.
  • toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Again, I feel like the same sort of misleading could be done by taking any communication from D3 / Hibernium out of context, be it customer support, here on the forums, from reddit, whatever, and it still would be a case by case sort of thing. In the case you gave the community self moderated anyways, no problem. Additionally there is nothing stopping people from posting that in "private" places like the slack and discord channels.

What it really comes down to is that not allowing us to post our communications with you makes it feel like you are trying to hide things from the community, is just generally sketchy, and further degrades the already rough communication between us and the developers.
  • AresOmega
    AresOmega Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    shteev said:
    The point of the Moar Blue! movement is that the user interface has been redesigned many, many times, while bugs which go right back to the beginning of the game have not been fixed. It may be a petty thing to complain about, but when the resources of the dev team are channeled into cosmetic changes which do nothing to enhance, or even just fix, the experience of the players, it tends to make some snarkness bubble to the top of the player base alongside the more straightforward complaints and sighs of resignation.
    Just to be clear, I intended to convey the fact that I agree with how useless making the UI changes to include Moar blue was, just didn't complain. I suppose I just fall into the sigh of resignation category. I tend to not get very riled up over digital pixels on a screen.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy said:

Porky Porky Lies.

can you point at least one person who complained.

Literally two posts above your one. 
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @toastie

The community did self-moderate, but it was an eventual realization after forum vitriol had begun escalating. Yes, you could say that taking any communication out of context would accomplish the same thing, however I have noticed that posts with supplementing Support Tickets / Private Messages can exacerbate a point much faster.

While I'm sure that MtGPQ's small, but passionate community could diffuse situations like these rather quickly, MPQ's community is simply much larger, which makes these kind of rare but unfortunate situations rather volatile.

@AresOmega

Just for reference, the developers that work on gameplay features are not the same as UI/UX designers. They both work on the same game, however separate projects at separate times. That is why you might see UI changes being done prior or after gameplay features are introduced.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:

Just for reference, the developers that work on gameplay features are not the same as UI/UX designers. They both work on the same game, however separate projects at separate times. That is why you might see UI changes being done prior or after gameplay features are introduced.
    I think that the relevant point here is being missed. There are still designers being paid to work on upgrading UI/UX where it doesn't really need to be updated and those resources ($) could be better spent on hiring more/better developers to fix the actual issues. The fact that the most important UI/UX update (PW scrolling/selection) was the very last one to be made is just dumbfounding.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ooh, can I check about this thread?

http://forums.d3go.com/discussion/63444/drop-rates-and-dupes/p1

Is that the kind of thing that might lead to 'outrage' caused by 'misinformation'? Would you like me to take it off facebook? Perhaps it isn't misinformation at all. Or, perhaps you yourselves could clarify whether or not it's accurate, by releaseing some kind of statement about the drop rates.