What's up with the "Pay to play" node in Star Lord event.

Comments

• DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy said:
    I played the entire thing and never read the "story". Doubt I missed much.
    I doubt you did. Some of us like reading the story when there's new content, at least the first time around. It's not earth shattering or anything like that, just a small bonus, but an appreciated one nonetheless.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    revskip said:
    Not sure what the outrage is about.  It's one node that isn't required to get the 10K iso or to finish the mini-story.  

Think of it as a tiny ISO bonus for anyone who happened to pull him in the token or the other tokens from the Thanos event.  

I didn't pull him and I can't play one node.  Pretty sure I can still play without spending any money, just won't get that one tiny prize.  
    Its called precedent.

Is the node pay to play?  We can discuss those semantics in detail.  but if you fundamentally agree that the devs are asking you to  pay cash to access a 5k iso node.  Then you basically imply that its okay to paygate content behind a day 1 to day 14 new char release.

Lets drop the pretense on this node and "hypothenically" say only 5* star load can play the starting node?  Is that sufficient to call this blatant pay to play?  

what about the argument that its only 14 days till it goes to LL and wide release?  If your okay with paygating PVE content for 14 days, then I won't bother trying to convince you otherwise.

Lets objectively look at this issue.

1. Can this character be won/earned by ANY other method than a 10% draw store?  is this random draw store the exclusive method of accessing this node for the next 14 days?

2.  Should any content be ever gated behind a limitation that can only be overcome with CA$H?

If we are going to move to a cash for access model,  then please post a cost menu so I can decide my level of future engagement.

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Killians8 said:
    The way many of you talk it's like you think you're being forced to do something. This is no different than any PvE event where you don't have the required 2, 3, or 4 star to play the extra nodes. You have to earn your way to get those extra nodes by playing the game. If you lucked out and got 5* Star during the Thanos event then you can roster and play that node or not.

I got lucky and got him, but if I roster him now I may have to sell another cover on the vine instead. So I may not do so. It's a choice...and not a life or death one which many of you seem to be taking personal. 5000 iso comes very easily in this game if you're anywhere in the 3* tier.
    In what world is "you have to earn your way" and "if you lucked out" even close to the same thing?

There is no way to earn 5* Star Lord.  And therefore this node is very different from every other essential node ever seen in the game.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    OJSP said:

Wait, are we now acting as if having nodes where you need an essential character for a reward is a new thing? I thought we had Deadpools Daily stuff for a while now?
    I think you missed the point here. The luck involved or potential cost involved in getting a 5* cover to complete this node compared to other essential character nodes is very different.
    No, I got it. I just don't see it as a big deal, or something new. Everybody gets a one in 10 shot at getting Star Lord because of the token. If you get it you get a sweet extra 5k Iso on top.

I got my 6th yellow for Wasp. No 5K iso for me. Oh well.
  • Killians8
    Killians8 Posts: 134 Tile Toppler
    Killians8 said:
    The way many of you talk it's like you think you're being forced to do something. This is no different than any PvE event where you don't have the required 2, 3, or 4 star to play the extra nodes. You have to earn your way to get those extra nodes by playing the game. If you lucked out and got 5* Star during the Thanos event then you can roster and play that node or not.

I got lucky and got him, but if I roster him now I may have to sell another cover on the vine instead. So I may not do so. It's a choice...and not a life or death one which many of you seem to be taking personal. 5000 iso comes very easily in this game if you're anywhere in the 3* tier.
    In what world is "you have to earn your way" and "if you lucked out" even close to the same thing?

There is no way to earn 5* Star Lord.  And therefore this node is very different from every other essential node ever seen in the game.
    They both apply because you have "earn your way" by playing a long time to get the characters for essential nodes and you also have to "get lucky enough" to draw them. They are mutually exclusive and I never stated they were equal.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    The frustrating part is I was told by the devs this will be a story-rich PvE. I didn't know before hand that this node has no story or is not required to finish the PvE. And thanks to my "too small" smart phone screen that I didn't see the other node on the left side. (It's Galaxy S5, by the way). This morning when I popped up the app and saw that this node required 5*, I was just disappointed and I literally closed the app and walked away. (Not until I talked with my alliance mate and am told that there is another node on the left to complete the PvE.

Sure, in the end this node may not be big deal. (Although, I disagree with setting any 5* as a requirement for anything.) But once again, I enjoy the game since the start of the boss event, just to feel disappointed in the last part of the game. (Like awesome anniversary season that ended with Boss Rush.)
  • Phumade
    revskip said:So if I understand your complaint the issue is that you can only complete the node if you have the 5* and that the only way to get the 5* is to either get lucky on the draws you get or spend CP.

What makes that different than lets say a run of the Behemoth Burrito where you can't complete the fight because you are missing a required character?  

Except we have had multiple FREE options to WIN all the characters used by the burrito.  

Are you really arguing that time should be a factor in pay to play content?  If so please state what you feel is an appropriate time frame to paygate content and I'll accept your view point at face value.

if perhaps your arguing that they should have given a week's notice before debuting Behemoth Burrito, so that 4* players could at least roster the 2*,  I'm not disagreeing with you!

I can't think of an essential node in the HISTORY of the game that REQUIRED  a character that wasn't winnable in the previous event.

I feel terrible for every single person that was denied the ability to play an essential node because they didn't place high enough to win a cover.  But the fact remains that they HAD A CHANCE to win that cover in a prior event and win that essential cover 75% of way through the current prog table..

At the end of the day,  how much CP should that avg player be expected to expend so that they can play a one off node?

25cp,  100cp,  1000cp?  

I wont disagree with anyone who says that all of the star lord pve events are non essential fluff to the MPQ experience.  

I'm just wondering if the next PVE paygate is to replace the 4* node with a 5* essential for the character that was just released in a 10% store.

If all players are gifted a 5* star load cover on monday, then I'll happy retract my paygate comment.  Until then please let me know what I could do to earn my cover through placement or progression
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    That's a lot of text to tell us that you didn't realize you could win a free 'Volume 2, Obviously' recruit token with a 10% chance to win a 5 star Star Lord from the I have a Plan event.

Basically, a FREE option to WIN that character.
  • NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    So, how far do you want to take this "paygate" thing? If you don't get a new 4* during its release event, you'll be missing out on the required 4* nodes for the next event at least the first few clears. At the top levels, that ends you chance at a top 10 and a 4* reward in that next event, so is that now "paygated" because you're then "forced" to pay to roster a character to have a chance to compete for every reward in every single event? 

It's one node with a chunk of iso for the people either lucky enough to grab a SL off the attainable tokens, or the ones who felt like paying to try and whale him. I feel like this is an attempt to find something to complain about, after the Thanos fights turned out to be incredibly easy instead of incredibly difficult. (For reference, I didn't get a 5* SL cover, and I'll miss out on the 5k iso. Outrageous!?!?!?!)
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Dude basically gets a free purple token but still  comes here and complains about not being able to play a node. No wonder the devs don't take us seriously . 
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    That's a lot of text to tell us that you didn't realize you could win a free 'Volume 2, Obviously' recruit token with a 10% chance to win a 5 star Star Lord from the I have a Plan event.

Basically, a FREE option to WIN that character.
    This doesn't make sense.  FREE implies it was given to you.  WIN implies you bested others in competition.  And that is the root of this issue.  I WON everything the game had to offer me, but I neither won nor received a free SL cover.
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017

Phumade said:

I can't think of an essential node in the HISTORY of the game that REQUIRED  a character that wasn't winnable in the previous event.
    Perhaps technically true (though I can't say since I haven't been playing long) but also, I feel, a bit disingenuous. There may not have been any nodes that were actually called "essential nodes" with such a requirement, but the Behemoth Burrito has required characters you couldn't earn in the previous event, as do side nodes in boss events. And in the latter, not having the required characters could cost you and your alliance a shot at progression prizes.

As for the "essential" nodes in PvE, they are not actually essential to anything outside of top-ten placement. At least in my experience, you can get all the progression awards and usually get top 50 without having all of them at the beginning.
  • Phumade
    Except I'll place top 50 to earn the cover for the next essential just like every other event in the history of the game.

It isn't outrageous that you didn't win 5* star Load, its outrageous that you never had the option to participate in the node.

I'll meet you 1/2 on your argument.  How many free chances at the 10% store is appropriate?  Do you feel like 1 token eliminates paygate concerns? 3tokens?

I don't mean this comment to demean anyone's math skills,  but what does that work out to?

3 token pulls at 10 % means an avg player barely has a 20% chance to win access to the node. (I'll let someone else do the associated math on 3 independent pulls at 10%)

In any case,  what do you feel is the acceptable percentage?

For me personally,  no content should exist behind a character that has not be awarded via progression or placement.  ZERO, 0.  Its not free to play otherwise, and if we are going to a pay model then lets talk about the monthly value of participating.

If you feel its okay to gate content.  then please tell me what % do you feel is acceptable?  Set a plain easily understood threshold, so that all players can determine for themselves their willingness to participate in the future.