What's up with the "Pay to play" node in Star Lord event.

Phumade
Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
Alot of good things happened during this MCU tie in.  

Going "Pay to Play" wasn't one of them.  I thought the designers made a real effort not to be pay to win.  This is the ultimate slap in the face and breaks whatever trust they had left with players.

I have no intention of whaling 5* Star Load of junk for bad pay to play content

Comments

• orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Does anyone know if there are more nodes after that first one with required 5*? The dialogue mentioned eight planets... Are there more tokens or something after the pay gate? It's not explained very well at all.

This is my not shocked face in terms of their strategy. "People aren't buying lame random tokens enough for 5* releases... Let's dangle a carrot for lame prizes to prod some more sales." It's really shameful how they are doing this.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    They mentioned this was the first in a series of mini-events, the other planets are probably coming in Grocket's and Gamora's chapters.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    The event still gives out basically the same rewards as the other mini-events we've had (10K ISO + node rewards + a 4 star cover). The difference is that this time the 4 star cover is a token instead of a specific character, and the additional 5 star node on top of it all.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,178 Chairperson of the Boards
     I'm not thrilled with the precedent either, but I was worried you would need him to get the 10K ISO and token, so relieved that's not the case at least. Honestly, I'm more annoyed I couldn't finish the story. I know it's probably not much nor super important, just annoyed it's gated off. 
  • DarthDeVo
    edited April 2017
    OJSP said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Honestly, I'm more annoyed I couldn't finish the story. 
    There's no story in that node.
    Oh really? When the previous node ended, it implied Star-Lord was gonna call someone in for help. Figured that character would be revealed in the essential node, and there was no "To Be Continued" message or anything. 
  • Phumade
    OJSP said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Honestly, I'm more annoyed I couldn't finish the story. 
    There's no story in that node.
    So effectively  I pay a random amount of cash to get 5* star load (because the stores are random) and there is no story content except 5k iso.?

Sounds worse than "pay for play".  sounds like "pay for bad play content".

I could almost believe that they intended to require 3* star lord, but forgot to proof read the event format.
  • Phumade
    Wait what????

Is there essential story content locked behind that node or not?  I'm not sure since I can't play it myself.

Maybe someone can posts screen shots of the verbiage, so we can determine if:

a: we are paying for no story content but 5k iso
    b:  they actually gated off content behind a a pay to play node

?

thanks for help
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I pulled a 5* SL.. I was annoyed cause I didn't want to pay a roster slot for him. Then I saw that node. I think of the 5000 Iso as a way for the devs to say "I'm sorry you have the weakest 5*". It's a consolation prize for rostering him.

If I didn't have him, I wouldn't be upset because I would feel bad for the players that got stuck pulling him. Would you rather have 1000 HP or 5000 iso?
  • Phumade
    OJSP said:
    There is no story. How can we screenshot a non existing picture? I just replayed the node to double check, because another poster made me doubt myself in another thread. After I tapped on the Fight! button, I was taken directly to the match screen. After the Victory Screen, I was taken to the map.
    So the node is simply

buy 5* star lord for an opportunity to earn 5k iso?

Sounds like dull pay to play content if you ask me?  I'd at least think dumping cp would have at least earned me a tease blurb about 4* gamorra or baby groot?

Oh well,  I'll wait for those releases to see how exactly this pay to play node ties into the story.  

I don't mind paying to improve my play experiences (via enhanced healing or avoid adds, or even buy resources to improve my roster) but I do resent being told that this isn't a pay to play game by the devs and then seeing a node that requires me to gamble cash on a 10% probability that I can play the node.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Well it's not really pay to play - the only way to acquire a Star Lord cover if you haven't already through tokens is through CP, which you can't purchase.

I'll admit I was a bit miffed when I saw the node requires his 5* variant, but luckily I was able to acquire him through that token. I do think it would be nice if the devs let you complete the event with his 4* character.

• Phumade
    Well it's not really pay to play - the only way to acquire a Star Lord cover if you haven't already through tokens is through CP, which you can't purchase.

LOL even better.

"Bad Pay to play" content that noobs can't figure out how to pay for?

At the minimum, you want noob players to have a clear and easily understood path towards buying access to the node.

• MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    To be honest, we've known for a couple weeks now they intended on releasing two characters simultaneously. If people did not see fit to save enough hp or roster slots that's kind of poor strategy.

I probably clear over 2000 hp a week, and I always have 2 extra roster slots for occasions such as this.

I will say I'm not exactly elated over acquiring a 5* character that I will never cover; they really are just dead weight to me even though I have at least one cover for each. Nor am I excited over getting another 3* that I will inevitably dump iso in but hardly use.

• DarthDeVo
    OJSP said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Oh really? When the previous node ended, it implied Star-Lord was gonna call someone in for help. Figured that character would be revealed in the essential node. 
    That essential node was available from the start, it wouldn't make sense for someone who did that node first before the others, if there was a story plot involved in it. I suspect the story will be continued in a different event
    Oh geez, you're right. I didn't even think of that. Totally makes sense though. 
  • Phumade
    To be honest, we've known for a couple weeks now they intended on releasing two characters simultaneously. If people did not see fit to save enough hp or roster slots that's kind of poor strategy.

I probably clear over 2000 hp a week, and I always have 2 extra roster slots for occasions such as this.

I will say I'm not exactly elated over acquiring a 5* character that I will never cover; they really are just dead weight to me even though I have at least one cover for each. Nor am I excited over getting another 3* that I will inevitably dump iso in but hardly use.

Your sorta missing the point.  People did have sufficient in game resources to roster a 5* star Load.  People didn't expect to have to join a buy club to roll the dice on a 10% store to roster him and play that node
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I played the entire thing and never read the "story". Doubt I missed much.