Complain where it will hurt, to Marvel

Comments

• Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    bbigler said:
    Blergh said:
    I think what the original poster was getting at was that a large number of complaints could be percieved to be harmful brand identity.  

Big company's like Marvel and Disney invest millions in creating this to appeal to select target audiences and generate customer goodwill. 

So if a licence was creating an image or working against the companies desired brand identity then they'll be dropped like a hot potato.  

Sure, complaints can hurt a brand identity...if the complaint is about a well known product.  This marvel product is not well known.  None of my friends have even heard of this game.  If it tanks, the Marvel brand will be unaffected.  Imagine a news post: "Marvel match-3 mobile app game tanks from dissatisfied players...."

I can already hear people laughing about it and not caring.
    Do you really think Brand identity is only built on the large scale like that?

And is the issue that the game tanks, or that there are threads on this forum that question the recent nerfs as a shady practice? 

And do you think the specific game will matter? I mean, people generalise.  Its not unlikely they will say, I hate Marvel based games because they are buggy or have high paywalls based off one bad experience.  

You also have to consider that these days people may have large audiences to complain to via facebook, blogs and twitter and people love to complain. I mean I ghost write, for a lot of blogs ranging from gaming reviews, business to fishing. Not that I ever write about MPQ on any of them (do the gaming one as I get free games new releases for PS4).  I personally uninstalled the game - I dont care enough to complain.

There are more variables to consider from a business perspective than its a small number. The ones who get really upset tend to be the true fans and investment. The group they've spent alot of money on attracting. And they are more likley to network with the other true fans and complain through some kind of medium. Lots of smaller interactions in smaller key communities can be more damaging than large scale news.  
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blergh said:
    bbigler said:
    Blergh said:
    I think what the original poster was getting at was that a large number of complaints could be percieved to be harmful brand identity.  

Big company's like Marvel and Disney invest millions in creating this to appeal to select target audiences and generate customer goodwill. 

So if a licence was creating an image or working against the companies desired brand identity then they'll be dropped like a hot potato.  

Sure, complaints can hurt a brand identity...if the complaint is about a well known product.  This marvel product is not well known.  None of my friends have even heard of this game.  If it tanks, the Marvel brand will be unaffected.  Imagine a news post: "Marvel match-3 mobile app game tanks from dissatisfied players...."

And is the issue that the game tanks, or that there are threads on this forum that question the recent nerfs as a shady practice? 

And do you think the specific game will matter? I mean, people generalise.  Its not unlikely they will say, I hate Marvel based games because they are buggy or have high paywalls based off one bad experience.  

You also have to consider that these days people may have large audiences to complain to via facebook, blogs and twitter and people love to complain. I mean I ghost write, for a lot of blogs ranging from gaming reviews, business to fishing. Not that I ever write about MPQ on any of them (do the gaming one as I get free games new releases for PS4).  I personally uninstalled the game - I dont care enough to complain.

There are more variables to consider from a business perspective than its a small number. The ones who get really upset tend to be the true fans and investment. The group they've spent alot of money on attracting. And they are more likley to network with the other true fans and complain through some kind of medium. Lots of smaller interactions in smaller key communities can be more damaging than large scale news.  
    First, no one outside of the player base cares about this game. Second, even if the general public cared that players in a Marvel licensed mobile app game were dissatisfied, Marvel could easily blame everything on D3.  But trust me, no one outside of the player base cares that OML was nerfed.
  • bbigler
    edited April 2017
    Megdar said:
    Marvel will care because I will stop using their product. That is my goal, showing them that i will stop using their product if D3go do not act properly.

For the rest, I've put 500$ in the game through VIP or other purchase, I call mysell a good customer.
    No offense, but your $500 over the past 3 years makes no difference in their $100 million revenue during the same time.

Let's say you were a whale that spent $500 a month for 3 years, that adds up to $18,000, which is still 0.018% of their total revenue.

I've learned that I'm happier just accepting the changes and figuring out the best strategy for them.  Complaining doesn't do anything except making me upset.  If I don't enjoy playing the game with their latest set of rules, I can quit anytime.  Don't let this game (and its changes) rule your life and happiness.
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    bbigler said:
    Blergh said:
    bbigler said:
    Blergh said:

First, no one outside of the player base cares about this game. Second, even if the general public cared that players in a Marvel licensed mobile app game were dissatisfied, Marvel could easily blame everything on D3.  But trust me, no one outside of the player base cares that OML was nerfed.
    Erm, sorry where have I argued either point?  

I even go out of my way to say small scale interactions in key demographics not general public. 
  • bbigler
    Well said @Dwarfsteel , people tend to overact, especially here.
  • ghostride23
    ghostride23 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    I applaud the effort but as demonstrated by the changes in XFW when the nerf went down, these character don't belong to us, they belong to D3 or at least, that seems to be their mindset. I think there is an incredibly bad message sent to fans of Marvel that this is Marvel not D3, and they don't care. Something should be down but just reading the forum, most players suffer from Stockholm Syndrome, meaning that's the way the game is, it's not that bad, accept it or leave. Any manager or management should realize that a dollar made is a dollar you didn't have before and there is a field of study I forget, that calculates potential earnings lost and a bad word of mouth contributes to that loss.

There needs to be a strong unity with the player base to send a message that this is unacceptable behavior and needs enough time to spread the word like before the month of May, have No Pay May or no more money may. There needs to be a complete boycott of revenue including viewing ads for a period of time and whales would need to be on board. Of course how to spread the word up in the air. As a 2 year player, it took several months before I realized there was this forum and noob players join everyday without an alliance, they spending here or there. Anyway just my two cents. 
  • bbigler
    edited April 2017
    People should stop jumping to conclusions that nerfing one 5* will lead to nerfing everyone else.  OML is still good.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    They are trying their best to bring their in-game version of OML as close as possible to the MCU version of OML...

He dies.

• Noobulator
    Noobulator Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    JVReal said:
    They are trying their best to bring their in-game version of OML as close as possible to the MCU version of OML...

He dies.

Long live x-23
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marvel only cares about their characters getting promoted and the license getting paid on time, quality need not apply.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker

Like the OP, I have found sending "letters" (paper, in the past, e- more recently) or calling Customer Support, can often lead to a satisfying result, and even when it doesn't, I've never found that it "hurt" (other than wasting some of my time) to let Businesses know how I feel.

So I wrote visited Marvel at the link in the OP and sent them this:

Hello,

I've been a Marvel fan since I was a child.  I collected the books through my 30s, now in my 40s I gobble up the MCU, buying IMAX 3D movie tix, Netflix, Blu-Ray Discs, etc.  I love Lego Marvel merchandise and games.  I buy t-shirts, posters, and other licensed collectables.  Make Mine Marvel 4Lyfe!

For 984 Days I have been playing the Demiurge/D3 Marvel Puzzle Quest game.  I'm addicted, and have LITERALLY/UNABASHEDLY spent close to $2,000 supporting the game that I have enjoyed over the years.

Lately players have been treated badly.  There are more and more bugs, negative policy changes (such as "Vaulting"), and the final straw is today's "Nerf" to the Old Man Logan character.  They've altered the character, lowering the effectiveness of his powers.

Logan.  You might have heard of a big blockbuster of a movie by that name (an exceptionally awesome flick, BTW).  This is a Flagship Marvel Character.  A licensed product (virtual though it may be) in which I have spent money to find ways to use and improve, and now for no acceptable reason they've effectively taken away what I feel I've purchased.

In MPQ, he's the highest level of rarity.  The only way to get one is through exceedingly slim random chance, but when you throw money at it as I did, you can increase the odds.  I don't want to pay any more if the things I buy have no stability while the game exists.  Which irks me further, because they also just released a childhood favorite of mine, Cloak and Dagger.  I would have dropped at least a Stark ($100) chasing those covers.  I expect you get a cut of that MPQ cash.  Not this time.

Anyway, I just thought you guys should know what those Demiurge/D3 guys are doing with your properties.  It just rings a little too false-advertising/bait-and-switch to me.  Which makes them and you, look bad, and turns away paying customers.

- Bob Clemins

• homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Loong time player, spent over US$5,000 on this game. But you are an incredibly unethical company. I just uninstalled. Wont be back. 
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    If you want to complain to Marvel, more power to you. Doubt it will help, though.
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    I am a paying customer to many Marvel products. I have a subscription to Marvel Unlimited, buy Marvel licensed toys for my son, make purchases for Marvel Puzzle Quest, etc...

I am voicing a complaint because I believe the people at Deguirge and D3 are tarnishing your image. There are many reasons I could supply you with. I will provide the latest.

In the game, Old Man Logan is a major character. MPQ has placed him behind random acquisition, like other top characters, that primarily requires money spending to obtain. They know this, and have used it to generate plenty of revenue. Recently, against customer wishes, they severely de-powered him. They are offering very unreasonable compensation for this major game change.

This itself would only be bad but they consistently put out bi-weekly game updates that break in game functions that work. The reason for the updates are primarily character updates, which are cash grabs.

Their behavior reflects poorly on the Marvel brand, which I have been a consumer of for 32 years now. 

If Marvel continues to sell licenses to "shady door to door salesmen" then I will discontinue my business with Marvel entirely.

Feel free to follow up with me. I have plenty more examples and more in depth, at that, but I am typing this on my phone and do not wish to continue.

Excelsior,
    A paying customer of 32 years
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:
    If Marvel continues to sell licenses to "shady door to door salesmen" then I will discontinue my business with Marvel entirely.
    I don't even know how to respond to something like this. "Shady door to door salesmen"? Are you just yanking words out of the sky that sound bad and using them to complain? In what world does that phrase apply to a game developer balancing a free-to-play web game? Did you read what you typed before you posted it?

I swear, the hyperbole is so bad that no one is going to take the legitimate complaints seriously.
  • BootlessGrunt
    BootlessGrunt Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    I don't believe complaining to Marvel will accomplish much, I think the most efficient way of voicing your opinion and having the developers listen is to honestly rate the game on your respected game/app store. 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc said:
    Beer40 said:
    I don't even know how to respond to something like this. "Shady door to door salesmen"? Are you just yanking words out of the sky that sound bad and using them to complain? In what world does that phrase apply to a game developer balancing a free-to-play web game? Did you read what you typed before you posted it?

I swear, the hyperbole is so bad that no one is going to take the legitimate complaints seriously.
    A shady door to door salesman will say anything to get you to purchase their product. Much like saying "Low covered 5* will be stronger than high covered 4*"....and then that is not true. The ONLY reason this game is "free to play" for you is because others pay to keep it around.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beer40 said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Beer40 said:

A shady door to door salesman will say anything to get you to purchase their product. Much like saying "Low covered 5* will be stronger than high covered 4*"....and then that is not true. The ONLY reason this game is "free to play" for you is because others pay to keep it around.
    So why haven't you been complaining since Fall of 2015? When Silver Surfer was first released? If this were really that much of a big deal, clearly you would have quit some 18 months ago? Are you saying you've been unaware you were hoodwinked by the "dirty salesmen" for that long?

Or are you just upset about OML's changes and using tantrums and asinine arguments to try and get your way instead of talking things through with the devs like an adult?

The hyperbole is doing no one any good. Not you, not me, not the devs, not the rest of the people that play this game.