Updated Rewards for Trial of the Planes Event (4/4/17)

Options

Comments

• tygray24
    tygray24 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I actually think I will enjoy this event when the new set comes out and the pack is actually worth something.  The problem is that with the current set I have 97% of the cards common to rare and the duplicates that I get are worth nothing currently.  When the new set comes out I will probably play this event as is rather than buying packs when I have time.  

That said I agree with most players that the mana jewel / elite pack system is still off in value.  The pack either needs to be improved to limit duplicates (ie ability to re-roll in game not through the broken customer support system or just chose one of 3 randomly selected and if they are all dupes so be it).  This could also be "fixed" by lowering the price slightly to around 300 which would allow a player that plays all events and does reasonably well to take a pull at each 2 week pack.  Or keep it the way it is and add mana jewels to events like Emergency Ordinances and Fate is Rarely Fair.

I also agree that the value relative to the rewards in current events isn't there for the top players.  At Platinum, you can play 4 days of RAtC

Top 2  = 60 mana jewels / 155 crystals / 2 packs / 1 Rare (probably 2 if exclusive)
    Top 10 = 45 mana jewels / 115 crystals / 2 packs / 1 Rare (probably 2 if exclusive)
    Top 25 = 40 mana jewels / 85 crystals / 2 packs / 1 Rare (probably 2 if exclusive)

For 4 days of Platinum ToTP 80 mana jewels / -150 crystals / 4 packs. (3 out of 4 perfect, all at least 50 pts)

While it's better than buying packs because I enjoy the challenge of the event it clearly doesn't line up with value of RAtC for example.  

Comparisons
    Top 2 = +20 Jewels / -305 crystals / +2 packs / -2 rares
    Top 10 = +35 Jewels / -265 crystals / +2 packs / -2 rares
    Top 25 = +40 Jewels / -235 crystals / +2 packs / -2 rares

assume packs = crystals which we all know isn't true
    Top 2 = +20 Jewels / -185 crystals / -2 rares
    Top 10 = +35 Jewels / -145 crystals / -2 rares
    Top 25 = +40 Jewels / -115 crystals / -2 rares

I don't know anyone that's done the math that would think the time value is there compared to other events. Personally I am in a top 2 coalition and while the rare is worthless at this point, I wouldn't consider trading 185 crystals for 20 jewels (1/20 of an elite pack).  

There are several ways to fix this but my suggestion would be perfect gets full 60 crystals back instead of 30.
    Top 2 = +20 Jewels / -95 crystals / -2 rares
    Top 10 = +35 Jewels / -55 crystals / -2 rares
    Top 25 = +40 Jewels / -25 crystals / -2 rares

While 20 jewels for 95 crystals and 2 rares isn't great for me the ability to accumulate jewels faster and open more elite packs while not significantly hurting my crystal count would push me to play every day.  

I would think that someone in a lower tier coalition who is getting even more value compared to coalition events would agree.

• Justyce
    Justyce Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    can you reduce the nodes to 2 or 1 game each ATM it's too time consuming to play. 
  • Delnai
    Delnai Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I agree that right now TotP is too time consuming to be worth it. I imagine that when the devs envisioned it they imagined players playing it -in addition- to big events like RatC. That'll be more likely once the option to grind QBs is gone, but I think it's still too much time for the payoff. 
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Justyce said:
    can you reduce the nodes to 2 or 1 game each ATM it's too time consuming to play. 
    why not add an option to skip X nodes for X crystals ? 
  • Infested
    Infested Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Justyce said:
    why not add an option to skip X nodes for X crystals ? 

No
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's very telling, isn't it, that so many people are describing TotP as a time sink? This is a game; the act of playing the game should be rewarding in itself, regardless of prizes. And yet it seems that a lot of people don't find TotP very rewarding to play right now.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Justyce said:
    Delnai said:
    I agree that right now TotP is too time consuming to be worth it. I imagine that when the devs envisioned it they imagined players playing it -in addition- to big events like RatC. That'll be more likely once the option to grind QBs is gone, but I think it's still too much time for the payoff. 
    Reducing the number of matches to reach max progression is actually something the team has been evaluating. I unfortunately am not aware of the results of that discussion, but if I hear of any news, I will be sure to relay that information to the community.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    RatC is the time-consuming one. It goes on forever.
  • voodoo_gremlin
    voodoo_gremlin Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    madwren said:
    Might have something to do with fewer people playing the game.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    madwren said:
    I've quit RatC. PvP events only for me now.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The coalition leaderboard has gotten a bit stagnant hasn't it?

I was going to start a thread about starting a new season for coalition events and zero-ing the leaderboard to try and put a bit of excitement back into competition, but I can't be bothered to add content to this board currently which isn't negative. It's not worth spending my time posting well thought out constructive criticism right now.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev said:
    The coalition leaderboard has gotten a bit stagnant hasn't it?

I was going to start a thread about starting a new season for coalition events and zero-ing the leaderboard to try and put a bit of excitement back into competition, but I can't be bothered to add content to this board currently which isn't negative. It's not worth spending my time posting well thought out constructive criticism right now.
    Time too valuable now that you're a chairperson?
    Also I give you +1 LOL
  • Avacyn
    Avacyn Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options

I would stay away from these trial events. at least until the changes to Barel goes live. as of now, any PW that is associated with blue often run him with 3 mana cancer loops. add the various mechanics from each node and you got yourself a bad temper. 

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Actually while we're on that subject, I haven't seen a baral troll loop deck in quite a while. Did people finally grow tired of playing a boring deck? 
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe, but the threat is always there. I still see one pop up here and there. A lot of secondary objectives don't really allow for it. 
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I didn't meet a single one in my last blue trials either.

I'm optimistic people are bored to death playing him that way.
  • losdamianos
    losdamianos Posts: 429 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    Actually while we're on that subject, I haven't seen a baral troll loop deck in quite a while. Did people finally grow tired of playing a boring deck? 
    not really, you just play in early brackets with inexperienced players, I had 3 baral loop decks (saheeli and 2 kioras) in 5 games
    I keep infinite combo loop decks in all my blue inactive PW's plus most of the time in kiora, only Dovin stays out of him
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    not really, you just play in early brackets with inexperienced players, I had 3 baral loop decks (saheeli and 2 kioras) in 5 games
    I keep infinite combo loop decks in all my blue inactive PW's plus most of the time in kiora, only Dovin stays out of him

It's just luck, I join at the same time every event and sometimes run into multiple Baral decks, sometimes run into none.
  • Avacyn
    Avacyn Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options

I run into Barel cheesy loop decks every day. in QB, in events and TotP. it why I'm just going to wait it out since the rewards are so unforgiving. one lost and you kissing the crystal at the end goodbye. 

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I ran a Baral loop deck in green today... Sorry, its the most consistent green PvP deck against legendary opponent