Updated Rewards for Trial of the Planes Event (4/4/17)

Options
LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
edited April 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone –

Starting tomorrow (April 5) we will be doing a quick seamless (no maintenance required) server patch that will update the Trial of the Planes event Progression Event Rewards. Below, you will see the current rewards chart in the first box that players are currently earning. Tomorrow, the increased rewards (shown in the second box) for each Color Mastery level will help players earn Elite Packs quicker (especially at the higher Color Mastery levels).

- Thank you

Trials_Rewards.png

Comments

• naphomci
    naphomci Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    But there is no change to the entry cost?
  • Infested
    Infested Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Was hoping for a bigger change in the way of a patch to help with all the in games issues.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Infested wrote:
    Was hoping for a bigger change in the way of a patch to help with all the in games issues.
    This is just a minor patch that specifically updates the rewards for the Trial of the Planes events.

We will be releasing the Pre-Release Notes for the next major patch within the next few days.
  • naphomci
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    Infested wrote:
    This is just a minor patch that specifically updates the rewards for the Trial of the Planes events.

We will be releasing the Pre-Release Notes for the next major patch within the next few days.
    Well hopefully those actually fix things, and aren't pushed back again.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You really don't realise how worthless mama jewels are do you...
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No mention of decreasing the entry cost. And still no way to recoup the crystals you pay to enter.
    You have the potential to earn half of your crystals back in platinum, only half and only in platinum.
    You really don't realise how worthless mana jewels are do you...

This.
    While I appreciate the effort I still will not be paying to play the trials. It's still not worth it to me. There are more important things for me to spend my crystals on, such as new planeswalkers.
  • Yawgmoths_Left_Ilium
    Yawgmoths_Left_Ilium Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Why did gold decrease in mana jewel rewards? It went from 18 in the old version, to 15 in the new one. Are you trying to push a mastery increase?
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yes. They are.
    They have said numerous times in the forums that they hope certain things encourage the players to increase mastery.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Why did gold decrease in mana jewel rewards? It went from 18 in the old version, to 15 in the new one. Are you trying to push a mastery increase?

the change is from 8 iso8.png 10 manacrystal.png to 15 iso8.png

HH
  • Yawgmoths_Left_Ilium
    Yawgmoths_Left_Ilium Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    hawkyh1 wrote:

the change is from 8 iso8.png 10 manacrystal.png to 15 iso8.png

HH

Ahhh, my bad. Apparently can't read properly on this phone.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2017
    Options
    At this point, the only thing that would convince me to participate in the Trials event would be if the entry cost were 10 crystals, with the shot of completely recouping them during the course of the event. The payout is simply too low to justify spending anything more than that, especially since there is no guarantee that the Elite Pack will give you a card you don't already have. If we are going to put in the time and the resources they're suggesting we should to participate in these events, then we should be rewarded appropriately.

One idea I've been mulling over is that if you are insisting the payout from an Elite Pack should be random, then you should limit the potential payout to cards that the purchaser does not already own. That is, if the options are a mix of cards they have and others they do not have, then their draw options should never include the ones they already have. And in the rare instances where a player might already own the 5 available mythics, there are two options. Either you give them a shot at a random Masterpiece, or you can preempt those situations by including mythics from various sets in the Elite Pack, rather than lumping in cards all from the same set. Or you can follow the same logic you use with regular card packs and set up a themed Elite Pack that isn't based solely on set origin.

Let me put it in terms that D3 should be able to understand. Rewards have already been dramatically slashed. If you implement a system like this, you will still attract the whales who won't blink at purchasing jewels at a chance for a card they have been chasing, and you will also give newer and mid-level players chances at new mythics, and possibly even convince them to buy more crystals to spend on Trials events so that they can have more shots at gaining mythics.
  • naphomci
    Options
    Sorin81 wrote:
    Yes. They are.
    They have said numerous times in the forums that they hope certain things encourage the players to increase mastery.
    Which is odd, because I'm guessing I would have a better chance of finishing in Silver tier than in Gold, so I would be disincentized to move, particularly if it makes me miss out on two.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From 4% of an Elite Pack to 5%? Still not worth my time. I shall be interested to see if there's an increase in players in these events. Not that there's any way of me knowing...
  • DuskPaladin
    DuskPaladin Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Change the last progression rewards from mana crystals to mana jewels and there it'll be a start. As of now, it's about as bad as before, you guys changed absolutely nothing, is that a teaser for the things to come?
  • voodoo_gremlin
    voodoo_gremlin Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    Good effort...now drop the cost to zero (like every other event) and take away the booster pack and I'll take a crack at it.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason these trials should even exist at the Bronze and Silver tier. They are such a trap for new players that it's not even funny. They earn less crystals, have more use for crystals, pay the same entry fee, and get way worse rewards. It's insulting. Even at Gold and Platinum it isn't worth playing them in my opinion.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZW2007- wrote:
    There is absolutely no reason these trials should even exist at the Bronze and Silver tier. They are such a trap for new players that it's not even funny. They earn less crystals, have more use for crystals, pay the same entry fee, and get way worse rewards. It's insulting. Even at Gold and Platinum it isn't worth playing them in my opinion.

I was just going to type pretty much the same thing, so I'll suffice with "ditto".

Underwhelming, and still not going to throw 60 crystals away on it. Here, I'm going to spend 5 minutes trying to find something that seems equitable. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think people would go much more for this:

Capture.jpg
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    ZW2007- wrote:
    The primary focus of the Trial of the Planes event was to provide mid-to-late-game players with an additional avenue to acquire Mana Jewels, in order to build up towards that guaranteed Mythic from the Elite Packs. (Or that Masterpiece if you're lucky!)

We actually don't recommend early-game players participate in Trial of the Planes, but rather the numerous other free-to-enter events. The reason the option is still available is because we don't want to exclude anyone who actively decides they'd like to try it.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    Here, I'm going to spend 5 minutes trying to find something that seems equitable. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think people would go much more for this:

Capture.jpg

I expect they'll slowly work up to something like that. Right now they're trying to work out the bare minimum they can give us.
  • Justyce
    Justyce Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    Can the crystal reward swap with the booster pack reward. That would effectively make it a 30 crystal entry free and make me feel better. Right now I would be pressured to play a perfect game and will just get disappointed if I don't hit the last reward to recoup some of the money. I am not too concerned about the booster pack as these events is all about the jewels.