**** Cloak & Dagger (Classic) ****

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    mega ghost wrote:
    You're right, those were the options for that poll! Am I conflating it with another poll, or am I just making this up? I could have sworn Moon Girl was floated as an option somewhere at some point.

Poll about keeping the new (then) Devil Dino art? That's all I can think of.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2017
    veny wrote:

First: Yay! I was a big fan of C&D when I was reading comics back in the 80s, so I'm glad the pair have made it to MPQ and it appears they picked C&D Issue #1 for the Cover. I'm pleased the MPQ artist appears to have done a good job, too.

Next: Is it just me or was that article kind of difficult to read? Seems like maybe they got who's in front mixed up on a couple of the descriptions? Hmm...

Anyway, these characters (this character?) look like they're going to be very complicated to play. In a good, possibly fun/interesting way for players, but I expect it'll be disastrous for the AI. Still, the new mechanic of seeing alternate powers from the Roster screen will be great when commonplace.

Now, I hate to admit this, but when C&D get in the Blessed 12, I'll likely actually get to champ/play this duo relatively "soon", which is great. As I said, I'm a fan. (No offense to anyone, but recent character releases haven't had any sentimental value for me, so I'm actually looking forward to champing these guys.)

P.S. Veny, thanks for posting the link.
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Sorry If I messed up the interview, but basically there is a Dagger and a Cloak power that changes based on who's in front, the powers don't turn to just Cloak or just Dagger, more their individual power changes in the powerset. I'll have the full list up soon!
  • Cthulhu
    Also, so happy that this character has the arrows in the roster to flip between the different powers, and i do not have to go into game to get the alt powers!
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Sorry If I messed up the interview, but basically there is a Dagger and a Cloak power that changes based on who's in front, the powers don't turn to just Cloak or just Dagger, more their individual power changes in the powerset. I'll have the full list up soon!

That makes sense! I was a bit confused reading the article too, but thinking of it as having one in front providing the active power, and the other hanging back and providing the passive, makes the whole dynamic snap into focus.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    Cthulhu wrote:
    No worries. Glad there WAS a mess up, because at least it makes sense now. LOL I look forward to seeing the full power list. Thank you Cthulhu.
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Also, so happy that this character has the arrows in the roster to flip between the different powers, and i do not have to go into game to get the alt powers!
    Yes, I am surely looking forward to this feature.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmm damage seems a bit low, but I see true healing and board shaking.

The power reduction of 3 at 3 covers seems pretty nasty considering so much damage is exponential.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Really nice concept between swapping one for the other.

After seeing the numbers, it is going to be hard to choose a build. But I think 5-5-3 can do the trick most of the times, given the fact that you can generate 4 basic tiles per turn until you have them. There is a gap though. If you make 9 yellow or black, it will not generate colors, but do the other effect, so you end up without the reduce cost for purple, for which you would need 11. Other build I see would be 5-3-5, given the fact that 3 levels demotivation could be enough in most cases. Glad you have choices. This being said, it will be interesting to see strategy wise what's the best combo.

Looking forward to them.
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Okay, two big questions here:

1) Is Child of Light true heal or burst heal?

2 ) Do you get to pick which one starts in front, is it always one or the other, or is it random a la' Moon Knight?

Overall this looks like a pretty versatile character. Damage is crazy low, but there's passive damage, healing, a lot of board shake/ap generation, tile removal, and targeted crippling, which hasn't been a thing yet. Don't see them being top tier, but their board nonsense might make people want to chase them.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Hmm damage seems a bit low, but I see true healing and board shaking.

The power reduction of 3 at 3 covers seems pretty nasty considering so much damage is exponential.

3300 AoE for 8 yellow is fantastic. It's conditional, but duable. And given the fact that you can generate yellow on your own, it's a 5 covers must in my eyes.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Quick analysis:

Light-knives - 8 AP for 3317 damage at 5 covers. Compared to JG purple which is 10 purple AP (not many yellow AOE, just AV I think, so that gives this slightly more value). Either does 414 per AP and removes tiles, or does 1243 per AP and doesn't remove special tiles. JG does 1166 per AP AND removes tiles. Requires an extra match, so minus a point there, but the damage difference when no special tiles are out is negligible. JG comes out ahead here for special tile removal and damage. However, the creation of yellow tiles with the passive can make this easier to get the necessary AP. Overall, JG is better when comparing these two skills, but for fast damage, which will be even better while boosted, Dagger is better. I'd imagine around 6-6.5k. So don't use Dagger versus special tile creators and she is better, otherwise use JG.

Child of Darkness is pretty meh. The attack tiles created aren't that high damage, although it could build up over time. At 3 covers, you are unlikely to get the extra black tile creation effect ever.

Pocket dimension - Pretty easy to get the 2k damage for only 3 AP, which is crazy good as far as cheap damage goes. Still, in a boosted match, it will do about 4k, which is nothing against a 35k enemy, even though it is spammable. I think this would be good with a character that does something everything you use a skill, like Carnage.

Child of Light - 1k healing a turn at 5 covers. Will be very annoying to fight against, and useful for climbing. Won't always be out though since they swap positions. Since this is the flip yellow move, and the other one is the main damage dealer, yellow should always be at 5 covers.

Darkness Hungers - Cool idea, you can basically cripple an opponent. Against 5 stars, you would make them only useful for match damage. Even a level 450 5 star is useless at 1/1/1. AI will use it horribly though.

Generally, I think I would go with 5/3/5. No point having the character never flip, and flipping is a waste of AP at 1k damage for 3 purple.

Overall, the character is going to be pretty bad in PvP, but has some potential in PvE with the healing and cheap damage. Might go well with Th3nos for easy nodes. Might go well with Carnage like they suggested.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Which state do they start in at the beginning of a match? I'm guessing Dagger in front, but wanted to check.

Or can you choose? That'd be cool.
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    I've gotta say, I'm excited about them! Their powerset looks really versatile and interesting. More Spider-Man related characters is always a plus to me! Also, I think it's kind of ironic that they might pair well with Carnage since they were crucial to taking him out during the Maximum Carnage arc.
  • Cthulhu
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Which state do they start in at the beginning of a match? I'm guessing Dagger in front, but wanted to check.

Or can you choose? That'd be cool.

Dagger starts in front
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    The damage is weak, but everything else is intriguing. Passive healing is good. Passive tile spawning is good (except against JG or Loki). weakening specific enemies is a fun new mechanic. Not sure how useful it will be in the long run. Given the structure of this game, it's generally better to just do overwhelming damage as quickly as possible rather than messing around with game-extending tactics.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    mega ghost wrote:
    You're right, those were the options for that poll! Am I conflating it with another poll, or am I just making this up? I could have sworn Moon Girl was floated as an option somewhere at some point.

Poll about keeping the new (then) Devil Dino art? That's all I can think of.

Geez, maybe that was it!

And I'm really excited for Cloak & Dagger! Curious as to which cover they use as well. Since it's "(Classic)" I doubt we'll get this Emma Rios art, but one can always dream:

http://illustrationfriday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/SpiderIsland_CloakAndDagger_1_Preview2.jpg
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards
    Questions I have about Darkness Hungers:

1) If both team have it at 5 covers does it actually reduce both Darkness Hungers to 1 cover and so they then go to 4 covers. That then switches to 3 covers and so on as it oscillates endlessly every turn. Or is this power immune from itself?

2) If you are facing Black Bolt and he is giving +2 power and Darkness hungers is giving -4 is that a -2 overall or a -4 overall or -3 overall (reduce Bolt to +1 then subtract 4) or something else entirely?

KGB

• Cthulhu
    Great questions, let me find out!
  • Jaedenkaal
    KGB said:
    Questions I have about Darkness Hungers:

1) If both team have it at 5 covers does it actually reduce both Darkness Hungers to 1 cover and so they then go to 4 covers. That then switches to 3 covers and so on as it oscillates endlessly every turn. Or is this power immune from itself?

2) If you are facing Black Bolt and he is giving +2 power and Darkness hungers is giving -4 is that a -2 overall or a -4 overall or -3 overall (reduce Bolt to +1 then subtract 4) or something else entirely?

KGB

Yikes. Those both sound like coding nightmares.