*** Sam Wilson (Falcon) *** (Updated)

Options

Comments

• After playing against the Falcon you can basically think of him as duplicating any special tile generating ability for 9y (3*30% = 90%), except that he also doesn't actually use up the yellow APs. Another Judgment for 9 yellow AP is a pretty good deal, maybe even too good.
  • Phantron wrote:
    After playing against the Falcon you can basically think of him as duplicating any special tile generating ability for 9y (3*30% = 90%), except that he also doesn't actually use up the yellow APs. Another Judgment for 9 yellow AP is a pretty good deal, maybe even too good.

It's more than 90%. The percentage will compound. If we use a base of 100, then first it will be 130, then 169, then 220 for a total bonus of 120% after 3 yellow matches. I didnt use a calculator and it's late so forgive me if I've miscalculated.
  • Shamusyeah wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    After playing against the Falcon you can basically think of him as duplicating any special tile generating ability for 9y (3*30% = 90%), except that he also doesn't actually use up the yellow APs. Another Judgment for 9 yellow AP is a pretty good deal, maybe even too good.

It's more than 90%. The percentage will compound. If we use a base of 100, then first it will be 130, then 169, then 220 for a total bonus of 120% after 3 yellow matches. I didnt use a calculator and it's late so forgive me if I've miscalculated.

compounded boost is the key. i've been racing for greenies at the begining to drop punisher's judgement asap then yellow matching to boost them. it gets kinda crazy after a while.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shamusyeah wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

OK, yeah, given that it's cumulative, phantron was right that he needed to be nerfed. (I still think he would have been fine at 70% if the buff could only be applied once per tile)
  • Spoit wrote:
    Shamusyeah wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

OK, yeah, given that it's cumulative, phantron was right that he needed to be nerfed. (I still think he would have been fine at 70% if the buff could only be applied once per tile)

for a cost of 9y, you get a 120% boost on your tiles. but Punisher's judgment only takes 8g. so i say that his yellow is not overpowered. it only become OP if you can find a reasonable way to spend all that yellow.
  • Spoit
    Options
    *cough Lazy thor*

Honestly, sometimes I match yellow I can't even use just to let patch soak the hits

IceIX, would it be possible to see the protect tile values at the breakpoints at 103 and 123? (For underleveling to keep him from taking tile matches)
  • I stand by my original thoughts..he is okay, but not great. He is also a defensive liability. As soon as you ko the strike tile generator there is effectively only 1 character on the team. Running 2 strike generators isn't usually a good idea, as atm they cover too similar of colors. Bp as a third to patch or punisher might be worth a shot, but you still don't really have a good blue or purple, and while bp's yellow is at least SOMETHING (and more strike tiles) its not a good yellow. As such, most matches run something like this: ignore Goose, attack either strike tile or 3rd (if the strike tile can autoheal). Ko the strike tile before they launch thier tiles (6-9 green usually). Ko the 3rd now that falcon is 100% not a threat. Finish off Goose. Come out pretty healthy.

This also shows why a 3*** dakan will probably be the only TRUELY good match-up with him until fury comes out (and I'd still take someone over his team with fury). That is, yellow is useless without tiles down. Defensively, you won't usually get tiles down too offen on def. Ergo, falcon is usually useless defensively. On offense, there are very few teams that DON'T work. I don't think falcon (with his 5 min slow mo animatiobs) speeds up your offense overall, nor does he keep you leaving. amat h healthier. As such, he is weak on def and 3*** avg on offense. If you love falcon (are there really many falcon fans? Wiki-ed him, and it turns out he Is the first African-American marvel superhero...but clearly he wasn't very often used as I had never heard of him) then feel free to use him, but he isn't a "go out of your way and get thus guy! Type of character like the top tiers (no order: bp, thor, mags, patches...mmm...punisher too).

I will say though that punisher/fury/Goose (his name is goose now) will be pretty formidable as long as Goose never drops his purple on defense and his blue doesn't mess with fury deciding to use his blue.
  • It is pretty long but you do get to gaze longingly at that awesome goatee. This game needs more facial hair.

#WeneedOdin'sBeard
  • Spoit
    Options
    Honestly if you're matching yellow anyway, might as well use BP's strikes because why not?
  • laoahpeh wrote:
    for a cost of 9y, you get a 120% boost on your tiles. but Punisher's judgment only takes 8g. so i say that his yellow is not overpowered. it only become OP if you can find a reasonable way to spend all that yellow.
    No, you get a 120% boost on your tiles at zero cost, for making three matches that give 9 yellow AP which the average resourceful player will find good use for. If you do the same again, those tiles already boosted to more than twice their strength will double in strength again, based on the already boosted value. Repeat for numbers getting ridiculously high at an increasingly faster rate. This skill might as well have "BROKEN" as description until they change it to fixed numbers, overpowered just doesn't do it credit.
  • sms4002 wrote:
    Emeryt wrote:
    From the Retribution Alliance thread:
    NoMistake wrote:
    Redwing
    8 blue ap

At level 1
    Converts an enemy protect or strike tile in a 4 turn countdown tile that signals when redwing will return.
    At level 2
    Redwing can change attack tiles.
    At level 3
    Redwing strikes when the team has 5 Blue AP
    At level 4
    Redwing can change countdown tiles
    At level 5
    Redwing returns after only 3 turns.
    NoMistake wrote:
    Bird Strike
    12 purple AP

Level 1
    Creates 9 Protect tiles with strength of 5
    Level 2
    Creates 11 Protect tiles with strength of 5.
    Level 3
    Creates Strength 6 protect tiles
    Level 4
    Creates 14 Protect tiles with strength of 6
    Level 5
    Creates 14 protect tiles with strength of 6.

At max level .... Create 14 protect tiles with 51 strength for each tile.

So he knows this how? I always thought no mistake was a cheater account...

If you look in the retribution alliance you can see that Colognoisseur already have a max out 5/4/4 falcon. The reason they dont know the improvement from 4 purple to 5 purple is that it is and increase in tile strength but you dont know by how much at lvl 15. You only know that a 5 purple at max lvl create 51 strength tile as opppose to 35 strength at 4 purple.
  • Redwing
    Blue Passive
    (Passive) Falcon's companion Redwing soars overhead, alerting Falcon to danger. if the team has at least 8 Blue AP, Redwing converts an Enemy Protect or Strike tile into a 4 turn Countdown tile that signals when Redwing will return.
    Level Upgrades:
    Level 2: Redwing can change Attack Tiles.
    Level 3: Redwing strikes when the team has 5 blue AP.
    Level 4: Redwing can change Countdown Tiles.
    Level 5: Redwing returns after only 3 turns.

Even though the countdown said defend this count down tile for x turn to launch your attack, letting it count down does not give you any benefit over just destroying it through matching or tile destroying ability. Destroying it actually give you more benefit as you can use redwing again in the next turn as oppose to waiting the count down duration.

This is just so stupidly design. There is no reason for a countdown tile here.

Also lvl 5 in blue cover decrease the count down to 3 turn, like anyone in their right mind would want that. Why wait any turn at all when you can just destroy it.

If they want to keep the context of the skill, they could just made the skill an active that cost x ap and then return this same amount of ap when the count down finish and make the countdown a bit less like 3 at all lvl and then 2 at lvl 5. The AP should also be less, like 6 AP at start then reduce to 4 AP at lvl 3.
  • Justdangit wrote:
    On the contrary, there's a very good reason for the countdown. I believe the ability won't trigger again until Redwing returns. So the first time it triggers, Redwing swoops in and destroys a tile, then the countdown shows up and it won't trigger again while that countdown is on the board. Otherwise, once you have 8 blue AP, you'd be eating enemy tiles for free, 1 per turn.

The way it's designed now, you have to have a threshold of 8 blue AP, but then you have 4 turns to spend it before you have to worry about reaching that threshold again. So it's not at all the same as having a tile that counts down and returns it.

Personally, I find it to be a very well designed ability. It's nice to have a passive ability that can eat those hard-to-match tiles (like when Bullseye places a protect tile in the bottom corner and there's no other purple in that quadrant).
  • Riggy wrote:
    Justdangit wrote:
    On the contrary, there's a very good reason for the countdown. I believe the ability won't trigger again until Redwing returns. So the first time it triggers, Redwing swoops in and destroys a tile, then the countdown shows up and it won't trigger again while that countdown is on the board. Otherwise, once you have 8 blue AP, you'd be eating enemy tiles for free, 1 per turn.

The way it's designed now, you have to have a threshold of 8 blue AP, but then you have 4 turns to spend it before you have to worry about reaching that threshold again. So it's not at all the same as having a tile that counts down and returns it.

Personally, I find it to be a very well designed ability. It's nice to have a passive ability that can eat those hard-to-match tiles (like when Bullseye places a protect tile in the bottom corner and there's no other purple in that quadrant).

If you match that count down tile then you use it again next turn. if you read the rest of my post then you will see that is it actually quite stupid.
  • In your proposed fix, the ability has a negative that can randomly be applied through cascades. Currently, the ability has a positive that can be randomly applied through cascades or proactively applied by the player.

Why do you think adding a negative to the skill is somehow a better design choice?

edit: negative when the countdown that returns ap is destroyed, positive when the countdown that removes the cooldown is destroyed
  • Agreed the ability to destroy your own tile and make it go off again faster is a perk, not stupid.

You can destroy one special tile every 4 turns you stay above the threshold *at minimum* possibly more if you work at it.
  • Justdangit wrote:
    Riggy wrote:
    Justdangit wrote:

If you match that count down tile then you use it again next turn. if you read the rest of my post then you will see that is it actually quite stupid.
    I read your post several times b/c I like to make sure I understand something when I'm replying to it. And again, I say it's not stupid at all. It works on a similar principle to Ares' yellow skill. The countdown isn't intended to be a positive for the player. Rather, you want that countdown to go off as soon as possible. Unlike Ares' skill though, you don't need this countdown to finish, you just need it off the board. You specifically said:
    Justdangit wrote:
    There is no reason for a countdown tile here.
    And there is a good reason, just not one you like. It acts as a cooldown. Unlike say Cap's abilities, you get an effect for having blue AP but it's not consumed in the process, allowing you to use it elsewhere. And if you're unable to match the Redwing tile, you're stuck waiting for the cooldown (or you could team up with Hood and try to make his black useful).

It actually sounds like your biggest complaint is in the wording on the tile since you'd rather be destroying than defending the tile.
    Justdangit wrote:
    If they want to keep the context of the skill, they could just made the skill an active that cost x ap and then return this same amount of ap when the count down finish
    How is that the same at all? If I make a few blue matches, then on my next turn, this skill automatically triggers and then I can use that AP for any other blue ability. Whereas under your idea, I have the choice of when to use it, but then I can't use the AP for anything else until several turns later. Doesn't sound the same to me at all.
  • Justdangit wrote:
    if you read the rest of my post then you will see that is it actually quite stupid.

You said it, buddy.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Options
    Uhm, has anyone actually tested the skill yet, or?
  • Yeah I've tested it but only at like lvl 2. I think it's incredibly well designed. The OP has just came on and made an invalid point in a fairly obnoxious way.

You aren't gonna get very far with your ideas acting like that.