Do you like the new 5* getting a mirrored 3* pattern?

Options
13»

Comments

• MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not really. Best as scenario I'll get a 3* character which will serve some limited utility, but ill most likely just spend a bunch of hp and iso and never touch it.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    For me it's a nuanced reply:

1. If it's a totally new character, then yes, I love the mirror 3*. Take Thanos and Dr Strange: I can more quickly build the 3* variant and then take a loooooong time to cover the 5* variant.

2. If it's a duplicate character, then no, I don't like it and it seems like a waste of 3* space: take the upcoming Hawkeye: there is already a 1*, 2*, 4* Hawkeye and now they'll add a 3* and 5*. For me a 5* would have sufficed. Imagine they did that with the release of 5* IronMan and Captain America. We already had plenty of versions of those characters and then on top of that we would get yet another alternate 3*. That would be overkill.

So all in all, depends from character to character and depends on what we already have in the game.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Any 5 star that is added is just another toon for me. Im nowhere near 5 star progression. The additional 3 star is fun. Strange and Thanos were nice entries I thought and it gives different players with varying rosters the chance to get a new toon.

The only down side really is the saturation and the addition iso and roster slot that accompanies it. I voted Meh because “ When does the bar open?!? “ wasn’t an option.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looks like this is more popular than I thought. I'll stop whining about it and just accept it as not going anywhere. Thanks for people's thoughts.
  • Devorer
    Devorer Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I do not like it in the current version of the game, because i am in 5 star territory and that new 3 star every now and then sure is fun for newer players, but if not usable effectively in the matches i am facing. If somehow they readjust the game in a way that all characters become relevant again even to advanced players i would like the addition of new 3 *s very much because diversity is great and it sure takes way more time and/or resources to develope a 5 star than a 3 star.
  • Markot
    Markot Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    I like it. But as there are 2 new characters to cover and level, there should be longer time before next release, at least 3 weeks instead of usual 2 weeks.
  • tgibbs40
    tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I voted yes. I guess I could have voted meh or no also. I only like it if its a new character that we don't already have in game. Strange and Thanos were cool. Hawkeye, no. If I want to play as Hawkeye I can use my 1* or 2*. I don't really need a 3* (or a 5* for that matter, but I get that the movie characters all get 4* or 5* now).

So basically, I think completely new 5* should get a 3* so we have a version we can actually play with the character fairly quickly. 5* that are variants of already existing characters don't need a 3* too.

I will say that I'm guessing most 5* variants they create will already have a 3* version so I think Hawkeye is probably just a random exception.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I voted meh only because they are vaulting the 3's to make this happen. They remove the vaulting and I change my vote to yes.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No I don't like it. Honestly there are enough 3* and 4* characters in the game already. They should completely revamp the game to uncover a new revenue stream other than new character releases. While I am not against some new character releases, the current rate is ridiculous.

I would be willing to open my wallet again (haven't since intercepts were left out for Steam players) if there were new game modes to play. I would probably re-up VIP if there were weekly VIP exclusive PvE or PvP events etc. Or VIP challenges (totally new game mode etc.)
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can live with it. It's annoying to have to worry about covering and champing a new 3 while I'm trying to work on 4s, but now that they've vaulted so many of them, new 3s are another reliable avenue for certain covers, even if it may take a while. And given the Bonus Hero system, acquiring bonus 3-star covers is pretty easy IMO. The odds suck on 4s, but I've pulled at least 1 3-star Bonus Hero every day since they introduced it. Let's just hope the champion track for Hawkeye gives us someone good. Not sure why they had Thanos give RHulk when they just made changes to champion tracks not too long ago that got rid of a lot of duplicates.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not sure why they had Thanos give RHulk when they just made changes to champion tracks not too long ago that got rid of a lot of duplicates.

Probably because Thor isn't in tokens anymore icon_e_wink.gif
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Really not fair to refer to the 3* as a mirror of the 5* when they only share one ability.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Really not fair to refer to the 3* as a mirror of the 5* when they only share one ability.

1. They use mostly the same artwork with tweaks (hawkeye is the biggest change, Thanos and Strange yo have to really pay attention to even notice the difference)
    2. Strange and Thanos shared all 3 moves, Hawkeye only shares 1, but 3* hawkguy shares one with another character, only 4 new moves between them... so...

This mirror is slightly less lazy than the others, but it's still clearly an effort to try and copy and paste the character as much as possible and still have it be a 'different' character. It's a lazy and dangerous practice. I could see them in the future release a character the game has never had and release 3-4 clones of them at once... Introducing 2*, 3*, 4*, and 5* Cable. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I can live with it. It's annoying to have to worry about covering and champing a new 3 while I'm trying to work on 4s, but now that they've vaulted so many of them, new 3s are another reliable avenue for certain covers, even if it may take a while. And given the Bonus Hero system, acquiring bonus 3-star covers is pretty easy IMO. The odds suck on 4s, but I've pulled at least 1 3-star Bonus Hero every day since they introduced it. Let's just hope the champion track for Hawkeye gives us someone good. Not sure why they had Thanos give RHulk when they just made changes to champion tracks not too long ago that got rid of a lot of duplicates.

I'd be shocked if he didn't give out Kate Bishop covers. The real question is whether they'll change 2* Hawkeye to give out 3* Hawkguy covers.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really like the idea. I still don't have all 3* and 4* champed, so leveling my 5* would be a bad move. New 3* give me more characters to play around with and give me an idea of how the character will play should I ever get to 5* land.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hawkguy and his 5 star version have two powers that are completely different

while Thanos and Strange's versions had slight differences but the same powers
  • apmonte
    apmonte Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm mixed on it, because I really like the 3* Strange & Thanos. That said, I'm in 4* land with numerous fully covered level 70-140 four-stars. The new 3* characters are a drain on very limited ISO resources that I need to promote my four-stars. I'm still woefully under-covered on all but a few five-stars, so they're all still sitting at level 255.