Do you like the new 5* getting a mirrored 3* pattern?

Options
broll
broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
This is the third time they've done it now and it seems like most of the 5*s that didn't get it already had a 3* of that category. So this seems to be the new norm. Do you find that as good or bad?

Edit: Added a meh by popular demand!
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like it as I know it'll take year(s) for me to have a working 5 star version of the character and it gives me something to play around with...not too keen on this one being hawkeye though. Probably the least demanded character yet.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Depends. With Dr. Strange and Thanos it felt good because they are popular enough that it's a lot to ask for someone to wait to get to the 5* tier is a lot. With this one I have to ask is there anyone really asking for more hawkeye? I know I wasn't, especially if this is why they are vaulting the 3* characters
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love it - I play daily, but not for very long. As a result, on day 1209, I don't have any 5 star with more than 4 total covers, so I doubt if I will ever fully cover a 5-star. On the other hand, I can reasonably expect to cover a new 3-star in a few months. I'm not sure exactly how long Strange and Thanos have been out, but I know it hasn't been that long. I have Strange at 0/5/4 and Thanos at 4/5/3, and that's progress that pleases me.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not really. Trying to work on 4*'s it seems like the worst of both worlds. The 3*'s are attainable, but already outclassed by the 4*'s I already have champed. But, I still have to collect them, because they'll be essential characters at some point and needed for other rewards. And I won't have the 5's done for years. So, it is 2000 HP up front for two of the same character that will in both cases be of questionable use.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think it's fine. Strange and Thanos are 2 of the best 3*s around. They don't want the 4* tier to have too many more characters than the 3* tier, so it makes some sense to release them this way. It's better than them releasing a 3* solo.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm pretty lukewarm on it.

On the one hand, 5-stars have by far the most unique and interesting powers of any tier, with the possible exception of a few of the very recent 4* releases. So it's cool that they release a 3* version to make those neato powers accessible.

On the other hand, I'm firmly entrenched in 4* territory, so I don't really have an opportunity to make use of the 3* variants. I use 3-star Thanos for DDQ and I might break out Strang3 if he's boosted for PVE, but that's about it.

So...can I get a "meh" option?

Edit: I just read the 3* Hawkeye powers and he only shares one power with Hawk5ye, and one is just straight up carbon-copied from Kate....wow. No love from me on this one. He is hot garbage.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have 30+ champed 3 star.png . Unless they do something super unique like Strange, I don't need another one. I want to move on to 4 star.png land now, thanks.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I love it. New 5s didn't really interest me, and still don't, to be honest. But the new 3s that are mirrors of the 5s are awesome. The 3* meta has gone stale, and shaking it up with new characters is definitely a good thing.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like it so far. I'm working on my 4* roster, but it is satisfying to champ a new 3*. Especially when their iso cost is so much lower than 4*s. He presumably gives out a vaulted 4* as champ rewards too.

Thanos and Strange have proven they are useful even for people with deep 4* rosters. Not so sure on Hawkeye, but he could be a decent self accelerator/ blue purple battery. It says special tile match, unknown if that includes countdowns.

This is an interesting case, hawkeye didn't already have a 3 star version, and this 3 star isn't a copy of the 5. Lore wise I like that they just gave him Kate's move.
  • Tee
    Tee Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's fine with me. Maybe it means icon_juggernaut.png will get a version of himself better than a 1*.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    Edit: I just read the 3* Hawkeye powers and he only shares one power with Hawk5ye, and one is just straight up carbon-copied from Kate....wow. No love from me on this one. He is hot garbage.

She stole it from him.

4725945-7555089275-47233.jpg

I love Kate, too, but I'm glad the Boomerang Arrow is back with its rightful owner.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’m okay with it for a brand new character, but I’d like it better if there already wasn’t 2 versions (3 if you count Kate) of that character getting that 3/5 star release. Makes more sense for a new character, giving them immediate relevance to both veterans and beginners.

I’m in the 4* range right now, I wouldn’t want to go back for a character I’ve already got somewhere else. (or forward for that matter, for Clint at least)

And besides, Kate is the cool Hawkeye anyway.

UPDATE: that said I'd be all in for a 3/5 Superior Spiderman ("The Die has Been Cast!")
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think there is a ton of mystery about what 5*'s do (since RNG ensures many will never get them) - the 3* really helps the playerbase understand them.

In fact, I wish they'd go back and fill in the old 5*'s with 3*'s....it also would mean that every PVP would occasionally remove a 5* equivalent (like no OML with Patch currently).

ALSO, if they filled in more 3*'s you could do a 1-for-1, having a 3* always give different 4* covers.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like it, because a 3* requires less iso to champion than a 4* icon_cool.gif
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I liked it for Strange and Thanos, because those were the first time those characters were appearing in game. I don't see the point with Hawkeye, when we've already got him at other tiers. (Every tier, if you count Kate as a Hawkeye.)
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like it and it's a good idea, especially since it is very difficult for a casual or new player to earn a new 4* during it's release. 3* is obviously more obtainable plus it brings life to the 3* tier. I also like that the 3* allows you to test out the potential of the 5*, however it seems this time the 5* and 3* are vastly different, outside of 1 skill. I thought the skills transitioned very well from 5* to 3* for Strange, but not so much for Thanos so I understand why they're taking a different approach with Hawkeye by giving his 3* it's own abilities (or simply stealing 4*'s purple).

I am curious how the 5* and 3* will be rewarded. It stated both versions are available during Ultron. Will we have a chance at all 3 3* Hawkeye covers and Tokens for a 'chance' at the 5*?
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    There should probably be a "meh" or "I don't care" option of some sort. I'm definitely not in the "No" camp, so I put my vote in "Yes" for now. I'm not terribly excited about the 3* variants, but I have no problem with them either.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't mind the HP to roster, but I do mind the ISO cost to champ. I would rather spend my ISO on 4*s, not 3*s. I want to be done with 3*s!
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Added a meh by popular demand!
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am more in the "meh" range, but I lean towards not liking it.

I like it only because it is a more attainable thing to do, to acquire and champ a 3*. I currently have all 3's champed, so this is something for me to chase. I feel like this is how whales act towards 4* new releases.

Overall, I don't need more 3's though... even though Strang3 is awesome. In fact, I don't really need more 4's but obviously that won't slow down any time soon. Everytime we have a dual-release, it just feels like the developers are trying to get us to spend 2k HP on roster spots. My hope is that they don't release a new 4* for a short while after this, to make up for the dual release and to focus time on fixing the QoL.

And as many have said... Hawkeye?! who gives a tinykitty?! one of the least important, least cared about characters will now be represented in EVERY tier. Though, Kate Bishop may not count? I don't know, she's pretty great though.