Do you like the new 5* getting a mirrored 3* pattern?

Options

Comments

• justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I like trying out the 3* version of 5* characters. However, I'm always low on HP for roster slots, so I'm not all that happy about needing another 1000 HP for a new 3*.
  • Square-Chopper
    Square-Chopper Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options
    I was firmly in the "meh" category until the vaulting of the 4* tier. Now it's a hard "no" for the simple fact I really don't want to spend any more resources on chasing 3*'s now that it's going to be a race against the clock to get the inevitable new 4* covered and champed sooner than later.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would be more excited if it wasn't Hawkeye.

I supposed we can't get another 3* Doom so 5* Doom can be released with him.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At this point I would not at all be opposed to some of the create new character resources being put towards, create new events, maybe even ones that feature unplayable characters. That'd be fine.

it'd be interesting and give me more scenarios to use this ever growing list of characters.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Apparently I'm in the minority in that I'm a fan of both Hawkeye's powersets and concepts.

That being said I'm personally rather "meh" on this pattern for reasons similar to another poster: I've been firmly "stuck" in the 4* tier for a long while now and don't see myself moving out anytime soon. Between the absurd scaling that champing 5*s creates and how it invalidates 4*s, along with the horror stories I hear about MMR, I just don't see the point.

Not to mention the sense of futility they engender with how long it takes to cover them and how frequently they rotate. My 3/4/3 Strange is the closest I've ever gotten to fully covering one (and I've been playing since long before the introduction of 5*s), and unless I hit a windfall within the next two weeks I'll be left to rely on a 1.875%/.75% chance of ever seeing another cover for him.

Really I think that Demi needs to focus on alleviating all of the problems with the 5* tier before making more of them, but that doesn't seem to be much of a priority unfortunately.

3*s I actually don't mind as much because so long as they're decent they'll see use when boosted, plus they can a purpose for younger rosters.

tl;dr I like the idea of the pattern but please figure out a way to "fix" the 5* tier before you release more of them.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,507 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I voted "meh." I'm glad they're introducing new 3*s, and introducing 3*s with a 5* seems like a reasonable way to do it (though I'd prefer they get their own week and give us a break from 4*s...) but 3 out of the last 4 5*s had a 3* along with it. That strikes me as too much. They should space it out more.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    I'm pretty lukewarm on it.

On the one hand, 5-stars have by far the most unique and interesting powers of any tier, with the possible exception of a few of the very recent 4* releases. So it's cool that they release a 3* version to make those neato powers accessible.

On the other hand, I'm firmly entrenched in 4* territory, so I don't really have an opportunity to make use of the 3* variants. I use 3-star Thanos for DDQ and I might break out Strang3 if he's boosted for PVE, but that's about it.

So...can I get a "meh" option?

Edit: I just read the 3* Hawkeye powers and he only shares one power with Hawk5ye, and one is just straight up carbon-copied from Kate....wow. No love from me on this one. He is hot garbage.

Emphasis mine.
    The other great thing about releasing these new/different/quirky abilities into the 3* tier is that they devs get so much more data on how those abilities actually work "in the wild". We all know that their testing isn't the greatest, and they do rely on live data to inform a lot of their decisions. Having powers exist across multiple tiers allows them to (theoretically) roll out changes lower down and get a much better idea of how the impact.
  • SlappyDingle
    SlappyDingle Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Options
    I can understand a pre and post infinity Gauntlet Thanos but for Strange and now Hawkeye it feels verrrrry lazy. Do NOT like.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's good and bad.

It's good to have something (3-star) for newer players to see as attainable in a reasonable amount of time, while also giving the vets something to chase (5-star). It also keeps the 3-star tier fresh, where a LOT of players reside - even those of us transitioning to the 4-star tier who still lean on our threes.

It's bad because it requires TWO roster slots rather than one. It also further dilutes the massive bloat of characters which is now at Gen 1 Pokemon level for total number of covers to 'collect them all'.

It's good for the 5-star tier, which desperately needs more diversity. It's not so great for the 3-star tier, which doesn't.

So I guess... meh.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    At the very least it gives a few more events in the 3 year old pvp rotation
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In general, I like the idea of them doing it, that is less the case this time round with it being another Hawkeye.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like them... more accessible than the 5* and easier to build/max than 4*. Don't get to use either 3/4* much so it doesn't make much difference. Would like them a *lot* more if they would just slow the tinykitty release rate down.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    Edit: I just read the 3* Hawkeye powers and he only shares one power with Hawk5ye, and one is just straight up carbon-copied from Kate....wow. No love from me on this one. He is hot garbage.

Of course Kate's powers are all pretty good so it's hardly a loss. And he does share the most interesting of the 3 new powers. The passive AP gain one would be insane with Sentry or Loki so it's no wonder they couldn't just port that one over.

I like it. The requirement to roster yet more characters doesn't bother me since I'm in no rush to roster all the 5*s and they're not required for anything unless I really trash my own scaling.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Meh.

I quite liked them doing it with Thanos and Strange. It made sense to make these characters from movies accessible, but still give stronger versions out at a high tier that's out of most new player's reach.

Not crazy about Hawkeye getting the same treatment. There are already 1* & 2* versions. If you liked Clint, you can get him easily. His release just feels like needless padding.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My overall outlook to the previous 5+3 release is skewed because of how effective Thanos and Strange are for pve. There's probably not gonna be another 3* released that'll be as useful as those two.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I put Yes for a couple of reasons, some already stated here in the thread. 3*s are quicker to cover and champ as opposed to 5*s. It'll probably be even quicker than the time it took to champ 3Thanos and 3Strange (1 month - 2 months) with these Bonus Heroes and increased odds for pulling newer characters from packs. I also see the 3*s as a vehicle to acquire 4* covers through their respective champ rewards. If the 4* tier grows, it'd only make sense that the tier feeding into them grow as well.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Do I hate the concept of having a mini version, no.

Do I dislike the need for 3 roster slots in 7 days.... Yes.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eh, why not? My 5* typically aren't much more than a PVE meatshield. Thanos and Strange have both hit 6 covers, but that's pretty unusual.

So at least the 3* edition I can play with/max.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, I like it when they do this. It does eat more HP but that isn't a big concern these days, and it's nice to have a more accessible version.

It does mean that more of my old 3*s will be vaulted, which will make them harder to get up to 266, though. That kinda sucks.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Happy to see a combined release because I can easily touch 3* while 5* are mostly out of reach.
    But lazy fat replica of the same powers... no, I hate. Make different powers, make different gameplay!