How likely are you to recommend the game?

Options
broll
broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I was expecting them to send a poll out again after they did with DDQ change. Since the didn't I'll create one here.

After the DDQ I put 7. Now I'm at 0. Why? This change is exponentially worse the lower the players roster is and is only truly good for the top % that have all/most 4* championed. New players are going to have a much harder time getting the characters required for the following features:
- DDQ Dat Required Character / The Big Enchilada
- DDQ Behemoth Burrito
- DDQ Clash of the Titans
- PvE required characters

It will be exponentially harder to ever get a point where they are truly competitive in PvP.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend existing players to quick, I absolutely would not recommend anyone new to play it with badly they've messed up the meta.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was at 1 with last update (as good as the new DDQ is - it's just not a major addition and the game had it's problems before). Now it's 0. I just can't recommend a game that sucks up 1-2 hours per day and blocks any feeling of progression. My goals in this game (and I am almost at 1k days) have been completely destroyed with the new update. I will come up with a new one. Newcomer can't set any goals.

Don't get me wrong - i am still playing, i am enjoying many elements of the game and I am still hopeful to see the changed PvE scaling in the spring (this should come sooner then later). But I can't recommend the game to anybody. It's too late.

The only way to extend the live of such a game (and it's been out and popular for a long time) is to cater to existing players. Newcomers will be pushed away by the sheer number of potential heroes and the inability to gain most of them in a regular way. How to cater to existing players - stop being so greedy with rewards.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll wrote:
    I was expecting them to send a poll out again after they did with DDQ change. Since the didn't I'll create one here.

After the DDQ I put 7. Now I'm at 0. Why? This change is exponentially worse the lower the players roster is and is only truly good for the top % that have all/most 4* championed. New players are going to have a much harder time getting the characters required for the following features:
    - DDQ Behemoth Burrito

It will be exponentially harder to ever get a point where they are truly competitive in PvP.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend existing players to quick, I absolutely would not recommend anyone new to play it with badly they've messed up the meta.
    I was at 0, now I would be at probably a 7. Why? This change makes it exponentially better for new players to catch up and compete at a high level. New players are going to have a much easier time getting the characters required for the following features:
    - DDQ Behemoth Burrito
    - DDQ Crash of the Titans
    - PvE Required characters

And with always pulling the 12 newest 4*s they will have maxed 4*s much sooner than previously. Really a great change for the game.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll wrote:

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

I was at 0, now I would be at probably a 7. Why? This change makes it exponentially better for new players to catch up and compete at a high level. New players are going to have a much easier time getting the characters required for the following features:
    - DDQ Behemoth Burrito

And with always pulling the 12 newest 4*s they will have maxed 4*s much sooner than previously. Really a great change for the game.

It's very clever of you to plagiarize my post and just replace positives with negatives and vice versa without explaining how your nonsensical post make any sense. You've swayed me!
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    broll wrote:

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

OK It's actually worse for vets because the majority of vets resources come from champ rewards of old characters (which they will get far less of now). It could be argued its better for whales as theyre likely to be the only ones with max champed 4s but if we are totally honest these guys are keeping the lights on with the insane amounts they spend so perhaps we can cut a little slack here.

I selected 8 on the scale. My reasoning is :
    1. its a very easy and accessible game to play as a beginner (my 6 year old son plays it)
    2. it has enough depth to make it interesting when you go past beginner level
    3. Every single thing in this game can be earned for free . most other mobile games marketing themselves as free usually have items or resources behind a pay wall.
    4. It features Marvel characters (of which I am a big fan)
    5. I can play this game pretty much anytime as much or as little as I like without it interfering with my real life - unlike console games which require me to be at home.
    6. it has an interesting forum full of people of all levels of play to interact with.
    7. The gaming community is quite a helpful and friendly one in general under normal circumstances
  • Magic
    Options
    broll wrote:

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

How is championing Agent Venom or Riri making the new players competitive compared to players with championed Iceman or Rhulk? How is this helping with the DDQ Crash and Behemoth Burrito? Should the new players target 1 4* they don't have to roster them all at 1 cover (would work for Burrito I guess)? In reality you will be getting 1-2 bonus heroes per week so it's not really helping with the crash if you have 1-2 covers.
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    broll wrote:

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

How is championing Agent Venom or Riri making the new players competitive compared to players with championed Iceman or Rhulk? How is this helping with the DDQ Crash and Behemoth Burrito? Should the new players target 1 4* they don't have to roster them all at 1 cover (would work for Burrito I guess)? In reality you will be getting 1-2 bonus heroes per week so it's not really helping with the crash if you have 1-2 covers.

Come on man, that's very selective. like if I said how is getting IW and XFW championed helping newer players compete against a champed medusa or Carol?

If you're going to compare at least make your comparisons equal.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really get the feeling they took the wrong message from past polls like this when examining player behavior. I've seen a lot of people, myself included, say that even though they've liked the game, they wouldn't recommend it. A primary reason there is it would be too difficult for a new player to catch up.

In theory, what they've done is recreated the path for players trying to get into 3* or 4* what the vets are already using for 5*'s: allow them to build a token horde for a while, and then unload them all on a smaller set, completing a few of the latest characters in a shorter time.

But, the thing they missed is, we don't do that at the 5* level because we like it. We do it because the alternative in classic token 5* dilution is abysmal. Token hoarding to get all of the latest 5*'s in one go isn't done because it is fun. It is done because it is the only way to move into 5* land that won't take a decade to finish. It is the lesser of two evils, and it isn't a system that should be replicated.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    broll wrote:

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

As a new player you need 1 cover for every hero to complete DDQ - Crash requires more in most cases. Every event still affords the same opportunity to acquire 3*s and 4*s through progression and placement rewards. If you fail to earn them there, it's now SO MUCH EASIER to simply set that character that you missed as your bonus hero and get them that way so that you can finish what you need to in DDQ.

It's delusional to claim this system isn't better for newer players. Yes, it's harder for newer players to have the same experience with the same characters that older players had, but who cares? If I think back to when I was first starting and trying to transition it really wasn't about getting any specific character maxed. Hell, my first champed 3* was Daredevil - because I had the covers and he was good enough. It was more about getting ANY character maxed that's good enough to make me more competitive, and as long as characters like Carol, Peggy, and Moon Knight keep getting released new players are going to have a much easier time maxing quality 4* characters that allow them to have success at a higher level of competition, and that's a great thing for the player base.
  • Magic
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    broll wrote:

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

Come on man, that's very selective. like if I said how is getting IW and XFW championed helping newer players compete against a champed medusa or Carol?

If you're going to compare at least make your comparisons equal.

Yes - my example was not equal but here's why: there are only 3 good heroes in the limited pool (since Kate and Moonknight will rotate out very soon) there were 10-12 in the wide one (granted it was out of 44). Sure - if you have Carol and Medusa championed as a new players (relatively new to get there but I will play) you are going to be competitive... when both are boosted. Or at least one of them. But this will happen how often? Every two months? For all the other weeks of play the "younger" player will be in doodoo. Would that be very different from the previous system - of course not. The "younger" player was in doodoo every time his good 4* was not boosted. But there was more choice of which ones to get too champion level. Now the choice for the newcommer is gone. It's Peggy, Carol, Medusa or nothing. And sure - smart player will make one of them favorite and cover quickly. With 2 weeks worth of iso they will have their prized Champion. They will repeat the process for the other two. And then what? Waste iso on Venom or Riri?

So my opinion is - this is not really helping the younger players become competitive (might give some of them the illusion). At the same time it's a big hit at players with developed roster. It's yet another example when this game is punishing players for investing their time, effort and sometimes money in building a wide roster. Scaling in PvE is another example.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    Yes - my example was not equal but here's why: there are only 3 good heroes in the limited pool (since Kate and Moonknight will rotate out very soon) there were 10-12 in the wide one (granted it was out of 44). Sure - if you have Carol and Medusa championed as a new players (relatively new to get there but I will play) you are going to be competitive... when both are boosted. Or at least one of them. But this will happen how often? Every two months? For all the other weeks of play the "younger" player will be in doodoo. Would that be very different from the previous system - of course not. The "younger" player was in doodoo every time his good 4* was not boosted. But there was more choice of which ones to get too champion level. Now the choice for the newcommer is gone. It's Peggy, Carol, Medusa or nothing. And sure - smart player will make one of them favorite and cover quickly. With 2 weeks worth of iso they will have their prized Champion. They will repeat the process for the other two. And then what? Waste iso on Venom or Riri?

So my opinion is - this is not really helping the younger players become competitive (might give some of them the illusion). At the same time it's a big hit at players with developed roster. It's yet another example when this game is punishing players for investing their time, effort and sometimes money in building a wide roster. Scaling in PvE is another example.
    Well of course someone that has been playing longer and has had more time to champ older characters is going to have an advantage. You are missing the point that starting from 0 in the old system vs. new system a player in the new system will have champed characters sooner than a player in the old system.

And no, you don't need to waste ISO on Riri or Venom. Venom is rotating out soon so I'm just selling his covers for the time being......much like I would have in the old system, but I'll be working to champ the newest characters that I have to minimize wasted covers - something that is much easier to do in this new system.
  • Magic
    Options
    Magic wrote:
    broll wrote:

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

- DDQ Behemoth Burrito

As a new player you need 1 cover for every hero to complete DDQ - Crash requires more in most cases. Every event still affords the same opportunity to acquire 3*s and 4*s through progression and placement rewards. If you fail to earn them there, it's now SO MUCH EASIER to simply set that character that you missed as your bonus hero and get them that way so that you can finish what you need to in DDQ.

It's delusional to claim this system isn't better for newer players. Yes, it's harder for newer players to have the same experience with the same characters that older players had, but who cares? If I think back to when I was first starting and trying to transition it really wasn't about getting any specific character maxed. Hell, my first champed 3* was Daredevil - because I had the covers and he was good enough. It was more about getting ANY character maxed that's good enough to make me more competitive, and as long as characters like Carol, Peggy, and Moon Knight keep getting released new players are going to have a much easier time maxing quality 4* characters that allow them to have success at a higher level of competition, and that's a great thing for the player base.

Nobody is complaining at the bonus hero feature (even if the 5% is lousy as hell but it's much better then nothing). So yes - it will help players getting all heroes (where they will get HP - not sure but it's a different problem).

I am referring to vaulting the 3 and 4*. It kills the possibility of doing the crash. Example - you get 2-3 bonus covers for Ant-Man or Sam Wilson (or insert any 4* that is not top tier) in a month should you choose to make them your favorite. But you need probably 6-10 covers and some iso to comfortably beat the Crash. Multiply this by 34 heroes that you now have limited possibility to get (and i know that there are still planty of option - PvP at 900... not for "young" players, progression in PvE, vaults, championing rewards from 3*). It's not helping anybody.
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    "Magic wrote:

I can understand where you are coming from my first 4* champ was Thing so yep if you don't have a good one it does nothing for your ability to compete - but that happened in the old system too. That's not exclusive to the new one.

Also I think your short changing the new pool there:
    Spider-Woman
    Carol
    Moonknight
    Peggy
    Medusa
    Kate

are all very good additions to all but the champed 5* roster. You can argue that Luke is too since hes very capable in PVE. Personally I don't rate Agent Venom but a lot of people do so that makes 70/80% of that pool is useful to a new player, can you say the same of the remaining? the forum t10 are (mostly) in the pool of characters that are less available but that doesn't mean there aren't excellent choices in the current pool.

Also you are right that the likes of Peggy and MK will rotate out - but whomever rotates in might be game breaking for all we know in the same way that Ice and Rulk were.
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Voted 0, wish I could put it to a negative though after they took most of the characters away with vaulting. Any chance I get I will try and stop people from trying this game as long as it is this broken
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I always say zero. I have very few gamer friends, and the ones I do have are of the "play one round of Halo or Battlefield a couple times a week" variety. Describing MPQ would mostly look like this to them:

UaLpJOK.jpg
  • OneLastGambit
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    I always say zero. I have very few gamer friends, and the ones I do have are of the "play one round of Halo or Battlefield a couple times a week" variety. Describing MPQ would mostly look like this to them:

UaLpJOK.jpg

This made me laugh
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Magic wrote:

*quotes snipped*

Bolding mine for agreement. I think for a newer player, anyone new enough that they haven't already been earning many 4*s under the old system, this change makes it easier for them to fully cover a smaller number of 4*s, but harder to cover a wide roster at that tier. (Sort of true to a lesser extent at 3* tier, but 3*s are much easier to get.) So if all a player cares about is getting a handful of 4*s championed, then this is an improvement. The problem is that the majority of the game rewards you for having a wide roster at whichever tier you're playing at: Essential nodes, Crash, Behemoth Burrito, even the rotating weekly boosted characters - it all means someone with a wide, mostly balanced roster will get more out of the game than someone with a narrow roster with a few very high level characters and not much else at that tier.

This change definitely helps people cover newer characters faster, eliminating the "I don't care about new hero, I won't be able to really use them for a year or more!" complaint that was common. But it does so in a way that a lot of people obviously don't like. The solution is simple, and gives players the best of both worlds, through having CHOICE: Have different types of tokens available, similar to what's already done for 5*s with Classic & Latest. Everyone who thinks the new system is great can buy the latest tokens and everyone who doesn't like the limited hero pool can buy the classic. Everyone's happy!*

*Except some forum curmudgeon who'll find a way to complain anyway, but mostly everyone. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Blergh
    Blergh Posts: 159 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I always say the same thing when the game asks me how likely I am to recommend it, and that is I'm not. Based purely on the fact it takes a big investment of time or money - usually both to get enough covers and iso into a good team. Like it or not, it can take a year to build a good roster. And when you do so, the developers usually move the goal posts. So I usually say it's a good game as long as your patient and into long-term game-play not short. Most people aren't. It tends to be more time intensive and demanding than most games too if you want to do well. Shields create an interval and timed system, and PVE is also based around clearing at intervals.

This limits the game's appeal to the casual crowd.

How will the new developments of BH and limited token pool impact my recommendation? Short answer is, I dunno.

Long answer: On the one hand it will allow new players to build up a high end roster faster; however, the iso problem will still exist causing problems with leveling it. I think it will ease the HP investment in the short term for them too, limiting the amount of characters they'll have to roster. 20 threes and 12 fours. But there is also a con in this too, due to essential and boosted characters. The lack of a three could limit them from doing essential nodes in PVE - DDP, both Clash and three star node as well as meaning they have to use a loaner in PVP.

The limited access to these covers could potentially lead to older covers being pay-walled too. At present the only way to get older fours are through progression and vaults. We all know they are testing vaults, and how tempting they can be when there is a demand for that character. This has just created that demand and the more cynical side of me wonders if this is why the older fours still appear there.

I think this change also has the possibility of not only making new hero releases even more competitive as everyone will want to maximize the reward potential from champing new heroes when they are in circulation but also older heroes just because they'll become rarer. And there is the added demand for iso too. But this is pure conjecture and they are implementing a lot of changes. At the moment it feels very much like a game in transition - incomplete clearance levels, updated game modes and stuff. - there could be something I don't know about coming into force that makes limit a sensible thing. So, I dunno.
  • Magic
    Options
    "Magic wrote:

I can understand where you are coming from my first 4* champ was Thing so yep if you don't have a good one it does nothing for your ability to compete - but that happened in the old system too. That's not exclusive to the new one.

Also I think your short changing the new pool there:
    Spider-Woman
    Carol
    Moonknight
    Peggy
    Medusa
    Kate

are all very good additions to all but the champed 5* roster. You can argue that Luke is too since hes very capable in PVE. Personally I don't rate Agent Venom but a lot of people do so that makes 70/80% of that pool is useful to a new player, can you say the same of the remaining? the forum t10 are (mostly) in the pool of characters that are less available but that doesn't mean there aren't excellent choices in the current pool.

Also you are right that the likes of Peggy and MK will rotate out - but whomever rotates in might be game breaking for all we know in the same way that Ice and Rulk were.
    [/quote][/quote]

Kate is amazing but she will be out in a week (along with MK) and replaced by Mordo and Coulson. Open discussion if they are very good (Coulson seemed good to me on paper but after playing with him I am not that sold anymore - might need the proper covers). I've never seen a person praising Agent Venom and Spider-Woman is meh to me. So we are looking at Peggy (is she next to rotate out?), Medusa and Carol as the most reliable option. And as you say - any game breaking new addition later on. Not really encouraging. But there is an easy fix - they can make all 12 in the pool always boosted.

I should have probably take that last bit back as we would be back in the Thorverine times - this time it would be Peggymarvel or Marveldusa or Mecarter. Nerf bat would soon follow.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only way to enjoy the game long term is to spend at least 2 hrs a day playing it, for that reason alone I would never recommend the game. Because of the recent BH change, it's easier to collect certain characters, but harder to collect others. This means that newer players, like Brigby, will always miss out on rewards because they don't have the required character, or that character is just too weak to compete. Currently, the environment of the game favors the veterans and whales, which also contribute the most to D3's revenue. Coincidence? I think not. Perhaps the player base is starting to shrink, so D3 is going to do their best to retain their core revenue players.

Do we have stats on the player base? Is it growing or shrinking?
  • Magic
    Options
    When I have started the game I was recommending it to many people. Now - almost 3 year in - I can't do it. I am addicted and I keep playing. Sometime i play less, too often I play too much but I keep playing. I will not recommend it.