Give it time

Tromb2ch2
Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Okay yes some things about the bonus are a bummer, yes I know that people are angry but we do have something to think about. In the video when the devs were talking about scaling tied to SCL they mentioned that they want to make it so we are properly rewarded for the SCL we enter. So maybe it will be easier to cover the older 4* when this change is implemented compared to post bonus implementation (I.e. right now).

So yes continue being upset if you want to. I'm going to make my own opinions of bonus heroes in the weeks to come but I'm looking forward to the new SCL and scaling.

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    You mean, you're going to try it out, see how things go, and weigh your opinion after some consideration? You're willing to see if any additional changes yet to be made might influence your view? icon_eek.gif That's rather mature and level-headed.

That's not how we do things here on the internets.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Look, if you're not here to hyperbolically knee-jerk your opinions at everyone, then you're not welcome here.

GET OUT!!
    I'm joking, please don't ban me ;.;
  • Uthgarprime
    Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    There is merit to this, but I think this company's track record doesn't give too many people much to be optimistic about. I am not sure what I want to do at this point. Do I want to horde and pull for 15 champions at once, or do I want to pull as I go and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe if D3 bothered to tell us what they were planning or their road map for the future we could be optimistic. Heck they may announce tomorrow that everyone has progressed too fast and take half our covers. We just have no idea what they have planned or think and that always leads to the negative side of things.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Now the playerbase is telling me "this too shall pass"?

I've seen it all now.
  • Tromb2ch2

I've seen it all now.
    Well I'm not quite saying that, I'm just saying that there are other features that they mentioned that seemed to have gotten brushed under the massive flames of the forum.

Also I have 11 champed 4* right now and I'm kind of excited for the bonus heroes just because of the 3* aspect.

LAST ONE TO GET STRANG3 TO 266 IS A ROTTEN EGG!
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    I think people should at least hold their opinions until revamps to pve that we're talked about on the new puzzle warriors cast. Specifically changing pve to scale based off scl instead of roster and revamping prizes to match.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    All I can do is play and see, but in the meantime, I wanna rant and rave dang manmitt!!!
  • Copps wrote:
    I think people should at least hold their opinions until revamps to pve that we're talked about on the new puzzle warriors cast. Specifically changing pve to scale based off scl instead of roster and revamping prizes to match.

Well, until that stuff gets implemented then we only have the new update to consider. Everything else is pointless speculation.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Okay yes some things about the bonus are a bummer, yes I know that people are angry but we do have something to think about. In the video when the devs were talking about scaling tied to SCL they mentioned that they want to make it so we are properly rewarded for the SCL we enter. So maybe it will be easier to cover the older 4* when this change is implemented compared to post bonus implementation (I.e. right now).

So yes continue being upset if you want to. I'm going to make my own opinions of bonus heroes in the weeks to come but I'm looking forward to the new SCL and scaling.

We're reacting to the information D3/DU made available to us. Quite frankly, no feature can make up for
    the vaulting of half the 3*'s and 75% of the 4* tier. It's a terrible decision and we're better off voicing our concern right now.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!
  • Tromb2ch2
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    We're reacting to the information D3/DU made available to us. Quite frankly, no feature can make up for
    the vaulting of half the 3*'s and 75% of the 4* tier. It's a terrible decision and we're better off voicing our concern right now.
    I'm still not sure that this is as bad of a thing as people claim it is. Yes you can show me the math and cite examples of pulls, but most of these are based off the LL and CL tokens.

Those tokens you might get what maybe 10 a week at best? But you will get 100's of standards, elites, heroics in a week.

And yes I know that those tokens don't give many 4* covers but the high level of play is mostly 5* and 3* correct? (Read PvP). So I don't know yet how badly this change hampers that.

If anything this change vastly strengthens your 3* and makes it so the 4* you get (the 12 newest) have the potential to be way higher.

So I'm not sure yet if I should sit down and watch things blow over or pick up the pitchfork and run with it. Time will tell.
  • Tromb2ch2
    As a personal example I have only gotten 2 bonus heroes in the last day and both were 3* Thanos. I have probably only pulled like 6 other 3* (mostly from heroics and elites). Now those 6 3* are from a subset of 20 characters (unlike the 40 whatever before).

So even if my pull rate is just like it is now (with the 3* covers) in a 30 day month I can average like let's say 5 3* a day so 150 3* in a month just from random tokens. As long as my bonus hero is one of these 20, these 20 will get a massive boost. Maybe to the point that I can start flipping them like very slow versions of 2* now.

It's something to consider.
  • Wumpushunter
    Wumpushunter Posts: 627 Critical Contributor
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:

I've seen it all now.
    Well I'm not quite saying that, I'm just saying that there are other features that they mentioned that seemed to have gotten brushed under the massive flames of the forum.

Also I have 11 champed 4* right now and I'm kind of excited for the bonus heroes just because of the 3* aspect.

LAST ONE TO GET STRANG3 TO 266 IS A ROTTEN EGG!
    Now go delete those 11 champed 4s and then think about how you would feel. Do you feel as calm and ready to "give it time"?
  • Tromb2ch2
    Now go delete those 11 champed 4s and then think about how you would feel. Do you feel as calm and ready to "give it time"?
    But I have no reason to do this, I still have those 11 champed 4s. There are still ways currently for me to get more covers for these characters (even though I'd rather get covers for other characters).
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Copps wrote:

What are they taking away from us to make this one happen?
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Those tokens you might get what maybe 10 a week at best? But you will get 100's of standards, elites, heroics in a week.

And yes I know that those tokens don't give many 4* covers but the high level of play is mostly 5* and 3* correct? (Read PvP). So I don't know yet how badly this change hampers that.

If anything this change vastly strengthens your 3* and makes it so the 4* you get (the 12 newest) have the potential to be way higher.

So I'm not sure yet if I should sit down and watch things blow over or pick up the pitchfork and run with it. Time will tell.

All that matters is this, its a 5% chance of bonus heroes and that's basically horrible. Champ rewards for 4*'s will be
    virtually non-existent (don't tell me to champ the latest 4*'s in the tokens at the moment, its like 4 million iso and those will change every month, not even time to champ and add that many levels).

Believe or not but champ rewards for 4*'s are a big deal, it gives iso/cp/hp on a daily basis and now poof...
    all gone except when they show up in pvp/pve/overpriced vaults.

And at around lvl 330, 4*'s are getting pretty damn strong. Well, good luck getting a 4* there under this system.
  • Tromb2ch2
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    All that matters is this, its a 5% chance of bonus heroes and that's basically horrible. Champ rewards for 4*'s will be
    virtually non-existent (don't tell me to champ the latest 4*'s in the tokens at the moment, its like 4 million iso and those will change every month, not even time to champ and add that many levels).

Believe or not but champ rewards for 4*'s are a big deal, it gives iso/cp/hp on a daily basis and now poof...
    all gone except when they show up in pvp/pve/overpriced vaults.

And at around lvl 330, 4*'s are getting pretty damn strong. Well, good luck getting a 4* there under this system.
    I do believe wasp is the oldest and was teased July last year. So she's been out for like 7 months. Now let's say you start now on agent coulson when he gets added. We can hopefully expect him to be in there for the next 6 months. How many covers do you think you can accumulate for him alone in the next 6 months when the pool of characters is only 12 characters. Bonus characters not included. I believe I have a better chance of getting my agent coulson (who is at 1/2/2) to 330 before I would have my highest other character (who was at 280) before this change. Now is coulson good enough to shoot for idk, but champ rewards will pile up really fast in this new system.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    read a proverb the other day that said (paraphrased): 'no matter how far down the wrong path you go, stop and turn around'.

well, how far down this one are we going to go?

the bonus hero thing is great, but completely blowing away all the older characters was flat out wrong.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Under the old system, a new player's experience would have a long phase of 4*s not being useful, followed by a long phase of 4*s gradually getting champed and the benefits of champing gradually rising. Now, the first phase of 4*s not being useful is significantly shorter, and the second phase starts out more beneficially but tapers off faster.

This does hurt people who invested in old 4* champs that they don't really have plans to use in gameplay. However, going forward, it has the effect of making it so people don't have to level up EVERY character if they don't want to (since once a character falls into vaulted status, there's no risk of wasting covers for them). That's kinda nice, isn't it? People can let Riri fall by the wayside without worrying about a permanent portion of their pulls getting wasted after she's fully covered.

It also means we can have a gradually changing metagame without resorting to the nuclear option of 6*s, which I assumed were inevitable.

I do wish we had gotten the chance to hear from somebody involved with the design of this system, explaining what their design goals were, but overall, I like the change, from the perspective of game design. It has a subtle but interesting effect on the strategy of developing your roster without making the optimal strategy obvious or even the same for everyone - for example, the question of whether someone should champ their Hulkbuster at this point is not an easy one to answer, and is dependent on a lot more factors than just "if you don't you'll eventually start wasting covers".
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Bonus heroes is such a nice concept, unfortunately extra covers is a bad thing for me. I'm getting more covers from Pve and Pvp progression/placement than iso to level up. Hoarding only goes so far. Something has to change in regards to iso.