*** Magneto (Classic) ***

Comments

• gahudahu wrote:
    He is not alone in this? I did not noticed. Thanks for the answer icon_e_smile.gif

Grey Suit Black Widow:

Green/Red/Purple powers

Purple/Blue/Black tile strengths
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    I'm pondering respeccing my 141 mag to 5/5/3 from 5/3/5. Or at least for now 5/4/4 since I only have one extra red cover. I read somewhere that the purple damage goes down if you do this, does anyone have the stats to compare?
    ---
    EDIT: Just went for it, from 636 dmg per swap to 546 going from 5 purple to 4 purple at level 141.

Thanks for checking and posting! I was wondering the same thing. I had a 5/3/5 for quite a while which I really like. Then I switched to 4/4/5 so that once the nerf hits I only need 1 cover to get to any build except 5/5/3, which I doubt I'll want. I have a blue cover in my queue, so I was considering going 5/4/4, but no thanks if purple loses that much damage.
  • I am 5/3/5 with a blue cover about to expire and a second blue cover on its way in 5 days from the Shield Resupply. I have never had his blue power maxed, but I like the idea of having him maxed at red and blue for Lightning Rounds before the nerf hammer comes down. Anyone else have that build? Would getting rid of red instead be better?
  • Ghast wrote:
    I am 5/3/5 with a blue cover about to expire and a second blue cover on its way in 5 days from the Shield Resupply. I have never had his blue power maxed, but I like the idea of having him maxed at red and blue for Lightning Rounds before the nerf hammer comes down. Anyone else have that build? Would getting rid of red instead be better?

Love my 5B/3R/5P, but I run him with Rags in LRs so his red is an afterthought to me. But comes in handy in all format if I need a board shakeup and don't have enough red for someone else.

Even at 4ap I have no complaints with the red.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have him 5/4/4 and he works just fine. 5 in blue is MANDATORY for this character, and I prefer to have 4 in red than just 3 because if there are not enough blue tiles in the board with red is easier to get them. I don't usually have more than 9 blues so the difference in damage from 5 to 4 in pink is not that big.

The 5/3/5 build is so dependant of blue that you could have problems if the board does'nt have enough of that color.
  • Ghast wrote:
    I am 5/3/5 with a blue cover about to expire and a second blue cover on its way in 5 days from the Shield Resupply. I have never had his blue power maxed, but I like the idea of having him maxed at red and blue for Lightning Rounds before the nerf hammer comes down. Anyone else have that build? Would getting rid of red instead be better?

Love my 5B/3R/5P, but I run him with Rags in LRs so his red is an afterthought to me. But comes in handy in all format if I need a board shakeup and don't have enough red for someone else.

Even at 4ap I have no complaints with the red.

I observed in LR my 3 purple on ~100 lvl deals 4200, so there more seem just overkill. While cheap red board manipulation saves **** and deals some insane damage if you have a few swords out -- in LR even the basic damage looked over 400. I see chance of cascade is better than 1:3 and if it starts can be multiple.

Outside LR certainly there is big difference of 2100 or instakill for 10P, question is if you get there reliably. I like spamming cheap abilities and have a bail-out button ready, how many times I faced **** choice exposing someone I wish not and red saved the day. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    After months of playing Magneto, I figured out a new power he has.

Play Magneto until you get to a board with almost no choices. Where there's only one possible match is good for this.

Now, use Magneto's blue power to wipe out the possible matches. If you were right about the lack of possible three-matches, you'll get an automatic board shuffle and it'll still be your turn.
  • Magnetic Translocation is simply overkill for PvP because nothing a player has can possibly survive a Berserker Rage + spamming either blue or red. Even without Berserker Rage, Magnetic Field does about 700 damage on a match 5 most of the time and for a move you can cast for free, that's more than enough against with 5-7K HP. The only time I found that having a higher MT would matter is fighting someone like level 230 Juggernaut and you lose Patch early. Magneto can still kill him but it takes a long time going through 18K.
  • After months of playing Magneto, I figured out a new power he has.

Play Magneto until you get to a board with almost no choices. Where there's only one possible match is good for this.

Now, use Magneto's blue power to wipe out the possible matches. If you were right about the lack of possible three-matches, you'll get an automatic board shuffle and it'll still be your turn.

Got to try this, really cool find!!
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    I have him 5/4/4 and he works just fine. 5 in blue is MANDATORY for this character, and I prefer to have 4 in red than just 3 because if there are not enough blue tiles in the board with red is easier to get them. I don't usually have more than 9 blues so the difference in damage from 5 to 4 in pink is not that big.

The 5/3/5 build is so dependant of blue that you could have problems if the board does'nt have enough of that color.

I don't find the problem being too blue depent, I can usually come up with 4 AP to cast red, it's that 5 in purple means 13 tile switches. Are you going to have 13 blue and red tiles on the board? I can see more than 9, but 13? If I am correct on how the skill works, (it happens so fast I forget). It swaps x random blue tiles with x random red tiles. Depending on the level you will switch 5,6,7,9 or 13 blue with red. Even if you have 13 blue, you also have to have 13 red, becuse if you only had 7 red, it will only switch 7 blue. Thus 5, while being able to do massive damage, is sometimes unrealistic unless you set the board up, which is why as you said, 5 blue mandatory, 5 purple overkill, thus only need 4 purple, which leaves us with 5/4/4 as probably the most effecient build, you can even argue 5/5/3 but I think that guts purple too much, you should easily have 7 tiles out. Mathmatics of 64 tiles, 7 possible tiles, would mean an average of 9.14 tiles out at any given time, this doesn't take into account crit tiles. So depending on your rounding, say you have 10 of each, is the increase AP cost of red at lvl 3 worth the extra 636 damage for that one extra swap. Red at 3 AP does let you cast twice for 2 matches, where lvl 4 you only get one, that brings the diff from 636 to 636-133 = 503 and you still can get casdcades
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Polares wrote:

I don't find the problem being too blue depent, I can usually come up with 4 AP to cast red, it's that 5 in purple means 13 tile switches. Are you going to have 13 blue and red tiles on the board? I can see more than 9, but 13? If I am correct on how the skill works, (it happens so fast I forget). It swaps x random blue tiles with x random red tiles. Depending on the level you will switch 5,6,7,9 or 13 blue with red. Even if you have 13 blue, you also have to have 13 red, becuse if you only had 7 red, it will only switch 7 blue. Thus 5, while being able to do massive damage, is sometimes unrealistic unless you set the board up, which is why as you said, 5 blue mandatory, 5 purple overkill, thus only need 4 purple, which leaves us with 5/4/4 as probably the most effecient build, you can even argue 5/5/3 but I think that guts purple too much, you should easily have 7 tiles out. Mathmatics of 64 tiles, 7 possible tiles, would mean an average of 9.14 tiles out at any given time, this doesn't take into account crit tiles. So depending on your rounding, say you have 10 of each, is the increase AP cost of red at lvl 3 worth the extra 636 damage for that one extra swap. Red at 3 AP does let you cast twice for 2 matches, where lvl 4 you only get one, that brings the diff from 636 to 636-133 = 503 and you still can get casdcades

Except there are two major problems with your argument:
    1) The purple ability only counts the # of blues on the board, # of red is irrelevant
    2) Going from 4 purple to 5 purple also increases the damage per swap significantly (even though it doesn't say so on the tool tip, it's been confirmed by multiple people)
  • entropic01 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Except there are two major problems with your argument:
    1) The purple ability only counts the # of blues on the board, # of red is irrelevant
    2) Going from 4 purple to 5 purple also increases the damage per swap significantly (even though it doesn't say so on the tool tip, it's been confirmed by multiple people)

I think the number of Red is relevant, since it is a limiting factor. My understanding is: If you have 13 blue but only 5 red on the board, you will only switch 5 blue
  • FoxInSox
    FoxInSox Posts: 75 Match Maker
    gahudahu wrote:
    I think the number of Red is relevant, since it is a limiting factor. My understanding is: If you have 13 blue but only 5 red on the board, you will only switch 5 blue
    That is not the case. 13 blue and 5 red will damage the enemy as if there had been 13 swaps. As this is VERY easy to test, it has been confirmed by multiple people (myself included).
  • FoxInSox wrote:
    gahudahu wrote:
    That is not the case. 13 blue and 5 red will damage the enemy as if there had been 13 swaps. As this is VERY easy to test, it has been confirmed by multiple people (myself included).

Just tried it, I stand corrected, thanks!
  • Magnetic Translocation does damage the same damage even if there are no red tiles on the board. You'd get no swaps but it'd still do damage based on the number of blues on the board.

I suspect it's intended to do damage equal to the lesser of (red or blue) which is why it does so much damage. Certainly reading the description you'd think you can only swap a number of times equal to the lesser of the red or blue tiles.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I suspect it's intended to do damage equal to the lesser of (red or blue) which is why it does so much damage. Certainly reading the description you'd think you can only swap a number of times equal to the lesser of the red or blue tiles.

Perhaps when he's funbalanced that will be the actual change to his purple power. I don't want the damage reduced particularly, as simply making the power stick to its own rules would likely limit the damage output (how often will you get 13 blue and 13 red on the same board?).
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    dang, thanks for the update, so then 5/3/5 is probably the way to go? or 5/4/4?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    dang, thanks for the update, so then 5/3/5 is probably the way to go? or 5/4/4?

5/3/5 is the better build, but 5/4/4 makes it a lot easier for you to respec once the nerfs hit without sacrificing too much power. The loss in damage in purple hurts, but red randomly being used as a board shake up helps mitigate that somewhat.
  • Unless you have no character with good strike tile generation I don't see how 5/5/3 could possibly lose to any other build. About the only thing that'd favor Magnetic Translocation is if Magneto is somehow the only person remaining, in that case being able to drop a big MT will save you a ton of time. Otherwise even with just 3 Judgment tiles on the board you end up doing insane damage for spamming Magnetized Particles.

I guess having a high MT is good for defense too, but Magneto sucks at defense anyway, and it's still more likely the AI accidentally used Magentized Particle enough times to get something good to happen than hoping they get enough for a MT.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    In the lr today my mags oneshot a 13k hp enemy mags with MT.
    Enough reason for me to keep it at 5 icon_e_smile.gif

Its pretty much like berserker rage
    Sure a nice setup strike tile plus combo abilities will do more damage overall
    But one shots are consistent in almost every situation icon_e_smile.gif