POLL: Gauntlet Monthly

Comments

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's never been a favorite event of mine, but I voted "yes" just to remove it from the standard PVE rotation so you wouldn't have characters get skipped in the 4* progression rotation like Quake does this time.

A month-long Gauntlet could also be a perfect place to put covers for the previous month's releases, though, similar to how Shield Simulator usually gives a recent 4* as top progression.
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Gauntlet is one of my favorite features of this game.... it is, together with simulator, what puts the puzzle in puzzle quest.

However, they really need to put the character locking back in because it has become quite mindless slog right now especially with Peggy powered up.

also you guys have to quit it with the crummy rewards. Im sure some folks would love the 4luke cover. I personally cant use the cover... but im definitely finishing everything for the 500iso per node, at my own pace...
  • like1tiger
    like1tiger Posts: 76 Match Maker
    I love gauntlet as it gives me a 7 day break from ranking People and managing pve subs finding mercs and all the say to day work we do managing alliances haha
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Sure, In fact I'd like to see daily gauntlet with 40-nodes to clear. I'm just curious what's the max that current sad people can handle.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes because I love Gauntlet. I'd also like to see it go back to no-mirror-match mode to make it tougher.

One thing that strikes me as ironically humorous about the no-because-rewards crowd is that it's the same kind of people who cry about "having" to play like crazy to keep up. Shouldn't you be welcoming the chance to take something like a breather without falling behind the curve? Maybe?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:
    Yes because I love Gauntlet. I'd also like to see it go back to no-mirror-match mode to make it tougher.

One thing that strikes me as ironically humorous about the no-because-rewards crowd is that it's the same kind of people who cry about "having" to play like crazy to keep up. Shouldn't you be welcoming the chance to take something like a breather without falling behind the curve? Maybe?

I don't understand people that has voted no (and have not proposed something else). This would be running in parallel to other PVEs, and it would run for 20+ days, so no real hurry to finish it. Even with the pathetic rewards it has now, it would be something ON TOP of what you already win in normal PvEs, so even if you clear just two of the subs, it would add some iso and xp to the ones people get from normal PvE.

Then, rewards can also be overhauled, nobody is arguing about that, here we are just voting for adding a new story mode that runs in parallel to the other normal PvE events, nobody is defending Gauntlet reward system.

PS: I have argued A LOT against the current reward structure in Gauntlet because it has reduced my iso and CP income a LOT while the event is in progress, but I have finished it already, because it is really fun! Yeah rewards are ****, but this is probably the most fun PVE there is! Yeah, some fights are hard, and in 5 land scaling is a bit too much (max scaling for me was 461), but you play against a lot of different teams, and you have to be clever how you play, and use different strategies (again scaling might be an issue here, my team composition is limited to just my 8 champed 5s, but I am lucky, some people would have to use the same three 5s all the time. If you are in 4 land instead, having 20+ chars to chose, having so many options is great and it makes this event even greater!).
  • MrTrix
    MrTrix Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    I'm one of those who voted NO, and I will explain why. I'm in the process of leveling up my 3*s, just finished championing my 2*s.
    As is, I was able to complete the first two legs of the Gauntlet event, but due to the increased scaling, I am stuck halfway through the third leg, with nothing in my roster that can help me beat that match (believe me, I have tried different team combinations). As there is only one path through this event, this means I have had absolutely nothing to do this entire weekend, and ~5 more days of "nothing to do" ahead of me (Polares -it's definitely not running "on top" of other PvE events... there were no other PvE events active this weekend).
    With other PvE events, if you get stuck, a new leg of the event will unlock the next day, and you can continue. With the current Gauntlet implementation, if you get stuck, then there is no way forward but to wait out the end of the event. I consider that bad design, and I am definitely NOT looking forward to the next instance of this event. So, as is, for me it's a big NO.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Answered no.
    Reward is too low for top players. That's even true for players in 3* tier.

However, I won't complain to see it once in a while. (~ 3 month)
  • Polares
    edited February 2017
    MrTrix wrote:
    I'm one of those who voted NO, and I will explain why. I'm in the process of leveling up my 3*s, just finished championing my 2*s.
    As is, I was able to complete the first two legs of the Gauntlet event, but due to the increased scaling, I am stuck halfway through the third leg, with nothing in my roster that can help me beat that match (believe me, I have tried different team combinations). As there is only one path through this event, this means I have had absolutely nothing to do this entire weekend, and ~5 more days of "nothing to do" ahead of me (Polares -it's definitely not running "on top" of other PvE events... there were no other PvE events active this weekend).
    With other PvE events, if you get stuck, a new leg of the event will unlock the next day, and you can continue. With the current Gauntlet implementation, if you get stuck, then there is no way forward but to wait out the end of the event. I consider that bad design, and I am definitely NOT looking forward to the next instance of this event. So, as is, for me it's a big NO.

So... you have not read the first post before answering the question? I guess this is why so many people has really voted NO. Because people vote before reading. PLEASE read before you vote!!!!

Let me copy from the introductory thread

"...we could get the gauntlet to run similar to shield simulator and be a monthly running event alongside regular pve..."

Coubii wrote:
    Answered no.
    Reward is too low for top players. That's even true for players in 3* tier.

However, I won't complain to see it once in a while. (~ 3 month)

Has anybody said that rewards should not be reworked ?????? This thread is not about Gauntlet rewards!!!! It is just to add another mode on top of the normal PvEs, and rework rewards so it is similar to what Shield Simulator is in PvP !!!!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't see why anyone would vote no to something that is suplemental. It's like voting no to the devs reopening the prologue for people to play at their leisure.

I absolutely welcome any supplemental forms of game play that will increase incoming resources.
  • MrTrix
    Polares wrote:
    So... you have not read the first post before answering the question? I guess this is why so many people has really voted NO. Because people vote before reading. PLEASE read before you vote!!!!

"...we could get the gauntlet to run similar to shield simulator and be a monthly running event alongside regular pve..."

I DID read the introductory post. And if there were another PvE event running at the same time, then I would have another PvE event to turn to when I can no longer progress in the Gauntlet... but that still doesn't take away the fact that I believe not being able to progress in the Gauntlet for so many days in a row, is bad design. So even if it were running in parallel with other PvE Events (which definitely would be an improvement), I would still vote NO for the current structure of the Gauntlet itself.

[Edit] How would YOU feel about the Gauntlet, if it were running for 20+ days, as you proposed, and after day 2, there is no way for you to progress in the event anymore, so the other 18+ days are basically useless to you. Would you still enjoy it as much?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    MrTrix wrote:

You clearly don't understand the poll question... The question is not for it to be exactly as it is now, but to be something that exists beside regular PvE so it would never be the only PvE thing to do. It would be like the Simulator in PvP.
  • Polares
    MrTrix wrote:
    Polares wrote:

I DID read the introductory post. And if there were another PvE event running at the same time, then I would have another PvE event to turn to when I can no longer progress in the Gauntlet... but that still doesn't take away the fact that I believe not being able to progress in the Gauntlet for so many days in a row, is bad design. So even if it were running in parallel with other PvE Events (which definitely would be an improvement), I would still vote NO for the current structure of the Gauntlet itself.

[Edit] How would YOU feel about the Gauntlet, if it were running for 20+ days, as you proposed, and after day 2, there is no way for you to progress in the event anymore, so the other 18+ days are basically useless to you. Would you still enjoy it as much?

No I would not enjoy it as much, I get that. But you need to understand, that as time goes by and your roster becomes stronger, then you will slowly get farther away in the Gauntlet. I didn't finish the first times Gauntlet was run, but I kept pushing my limits until my roster was good enough. So yeah, you might not be able to cleat it right now, but you will. And this will also be one of the only moments in PvE events (the other being DDQ4) where you feel that improving your roster is great!

But, this is the exact same thing as Sim in PvP. Did yo managed to get to 2000 in your first months playing? Would you get rid of it just because you could not get to 2000 when you start playing?

And again, if Gauntlet was run in parallel, if you got to a point where you could not continue, you could just go to normal events, and forget about that Gauntlet for that season, and come back on the next season. In the end, even if you complete just one sub, is more iso, xp, etc. you get.
  • broll
    MrTrix wrote:

Again, it's like the simulator in PvP. It's darn near impossible for without at least most of their 3* champs to finish it. It doesn't make it a bad design. It's 3 things:
    1. A roster check to see how you are doing / how far you progressed since last season.
    2. A way to give tiered rewards in a different way then SCLs
    3. A way for weaker rosters who want a super hard mode to challenge themselves (really anyone could do this by choosing not to play higher level characters).

I get that you don't like it and that's fine, but that doesn't make it a bad design.
  • MrTrix
    Then I guess it all DOES come down to better rewards. In for example DDQ, there is a huge benefit to being able to play that next node... you really WANT to progress to that node, because you want the benefit of those rewards. In the Gauntlet, being able to play that one more match may be a nice test for your team combinations, but other than that, the benefits are very low. Right now, you won't do it for the rewards.
    They might as well offer you a permanent "test bench" Gauntlet environment without any kind of rewards at all, and with all nodes unlocked by default. You could just pick whichever node you want, and throw whichever team combination you want to test, at it. Come to think of it, I believe that that would be a significant improvement over the current setup.

If they really want to offer the Gauntlet as a serious PvE event (regardless if it's parallel to other events, or instead of them), then they will need to offer people options to progress even if you get stuck on one node (eg alternate paths)... and a lot better rewards.
  • broll
    MrTrix wrote:
    Then I guess it all DOES come down to better rewards. In for example DDQ, there is a huge benefit to being able to play that next node... you really WANT to progress to that node, because you want the benefit of those rewards. In the Gauntlet, being able to play that one more match may be a nice test for your team combinations, but other than that, the benefits are very low. Right now, you won't do it for the rewards.
    They might as well offer you a permanent "test bench" Gauntlet environment without any kind of rewards at all, and with all nodes unlocked by default. You could just pick whichever node you want, and throw whichever team combination you want to test, at it. Come to think of it, I believe that that would be a significant improvement over the current setup.

If they really want to offer the Gauntlet as a serious PvE event (regardless if it's parallel to other events, or instead of them), then they will need to offer people options to progress even if you get stuck on one node (eg alternate paths)... and a lot better rewards.

Agreed, rewards would have to be worth it.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    There really is a glaring sense of entitlement when it comes to playing this game. So much "I should be able to finish every event regardless of my roster strength. "

And before I get the whole your roster is so strong. I'm just on day 600 and was only able to beat the gauntlet for the first time last run through, and only able to green check the entire thing this time because I had the right 4s champed.

It's actually a good thing for them to throw events that do check our rosters, because then we actually have something that will give us a sense of accomplishment when we can beat them.
  • kyo28
    kyo28 Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2017
    I voted no because of the rewards. Sorry, but that's just how I feel.

The event in and of itself is quite fun but the rewards are waaaayyy below the effort. Moreover, I feel I can't earn as much iso8.png with this event compared to another PVE event and iso8.png is always in short supply since I've just started to champ my 4 star.png s.

Also, if I compare rewards:
    Regular PVE full progression gives me at least 1 guaranteed 4 star.png and 25 commandpoints.png just for progression. Gauntlet only has 1 4 star.png .
    Regular PVE gives me additional rewards for placement, ranging from Elite Tokens to 3 star.png s or 4 star.png s and additional iso8.png and commandpoints.png depending on my placement; gauntlet doesn't

So clearly, rewards for the Gauntlet are very underwhelming compared to regular PVE and on top of that it lasts for 6 days, meaning I'm stuck with low rewards for 6 days as a PVE-only player.

If they can rework the rewards system, then yes by all means. But as it stands now, I'm afraid I wouldn't bother with it and just keep focussing on regular PVE. But if they up the rewards like give out 10 packs like the Simulator does and higher ISO, then I'm all for it.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    We definitely need PVE season... gauntlet would fit greatly, of course with better rewards.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    smkspy wrote:
    There really is a glaring sense of entitlement when it comes to playing this game. So much "I should be able to finish every event regardless of my roster strength. "

And before I get the whole your roster is so strong. I'm just on day 600 and was only able to beat the gauntlet for the first time last run through, and only able to green check the entire thing this time because I had the right 4s champed.

It's actually a good thing for them to throw events that do check our rosters, because then we actually have something that will give us a sense of accomplishment when we can beat them.

That's a good point and I agree with you. However, given the current reward vs. effort this is offering I have no desire what so ever to see if I can finally beat it. I played enough on day one to get a token or two and that was it. I wish something else was going on so I'd have a reason to open the app beyond the DDQ. And speaking of the DDQ - here is hoping they didn't mess that up with this new change coming.