POLL: Gauntlet Monthly

Azoth658
Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi all,

I personally love the gauntlet, not for the rewards or the difficulty but because other than deadpool vs mpq or infrequent boss battles it's the only event that gives you a huge mix of enemies to play against.

Therefore I thought I'd create a poll (and hopefully some traction, brigby I'm looking at you) to see if as a community we could get the gauntlet to run similar to shield simulator and be a monthly running event alongside regular pve. Where we could test new team combinations, take a break from the dark avengers, not face the same teams in PvP and earn a little ISO whilst we do so.

So in that effort can I please ask for you to vote if this is something you'd like to see implemented? Lastly I know the rewards absolutely don't meet the efforts currently but please don't vote no just because you don't like the rewards let's take it one step at a time. This is about having more content that is entirely optional and an additional way to play and earn rewards.

I truly believe this is one of people's favourite events until (even with the frustrating difficulty) until this run without shield clearance just because of the change up of enemies.

Lastly think how this would help pve only players when a boss event comes in. I often have the majority of the day when I can't play because I'm locked out of all pve nodes.

Anyway fingers crossed for a positive thread that brigby can take to the developers.

Azoth out
*Steps off soapbox*
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd love that but I'd also like the Gauntlet to use the old rule that you can't use any of the characters that you are facing. That was one of the things that made Gauntlet truly challenging and by removing that restriction it feels far too easy now.

I'm sure that is not a popular opinion because most people on the forum seem to think that difficulty should be set way lower but to me the Gauntlet is one of my favorite events precisely because it is tough. I was not able to finish Gauntlet on my first 4 attempts which didn't bother me too much since each time I progressed a little further and it showed me that I was making incremental progress. I finally broke through and beat it last go around and am just a few clears away from making it two times in a row with this run.

The fact that it is all progression based and I can clear at my own pace is a real selling point. If it ran for a month alongside the other PVE events I would definitely participate just as I do with SHIELD Simulator.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    revskip wrote:
    I'd love that but I'd also like the Gauntlet to use the old rule that you can't use any of the characters that you are facing. That was one of the things that made Gauntlet truly challenging and by removing that restriction it feels far too easy now.

I'm sure that is not a popular opinion because most people on the forum seem to think that difficulty should be set way lower but to me the Gauntlet is one of my favorite events precisely because it is tough. I was not able to finish Gauntlet on my first 4 attempts which didn't bother me too much since each time I progressed a little further and it showed me that I was making incremental progress. I finally broke through and beat it last go around and am just a few clears away from making it two times in a row with this run.

The fact that it is all progression based and I can clear at my own pace is a real selling point. If it ran for a month alongside the other PVE events I would definitely participate just as I do with SHIELD Simulator.

I know what you mean about restrictions but at the same time my current favourite thing to do on the gauntlet is put exactly the same team in regardless of level and see if I can beat them. Really interesting when you've got a low level champed three star facing a level 230 three star.

I'm really interested in the people who don't want it to run at the same time as an additional resource? Hope to see some explanation on those opinions icon_e_smile.gif

I mean everyone is ISO starved right?
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I'd be ok with it so long as one or more of the following changes were made:

1) Standardized Rewards. As many have pointed out the biggest issue with Gauntlet is how lacking the rewards are in comparison to a normal Story event. The grand total of ISO and HP are much less, while 4* progression is now standard fare and beyond that is bonus CP. Speaking of which Gauntlet rewards a grand total of 6 CP in nodes versus a possible 14 for a standard event of similar length. Also generally speaking it's fairly easy to get at least 1 event token per sub placement, if not 2 when you count alliance placement. Handing out 3 tokens for a 7 day event is too low. This leads into the other big issue that current Gauntlet has.

2) Parallel Run. While it's nice to have an "off week" aka a break from competitive Story events, the issue is that it eats into time normally spent earning better rewards. If the overall rewards for Gauntlet aren't going to be updated then at least let it run concurrently with regular Story events instead of replacing them. I'd actually be really excited for the current Gauntlet as a Sim-style season-long event that exists as a background bonus, but if that's too much then it needs to run alongside at least one regular event.

3)Shortened Event Length. This is the only other reasonable alteration IMO, and definitely the simplest. Reduce the run time of the event to 3 or 4 days and leave it at that. Even with the current rewards (which are still very skimpy on CP and HP) I'd be pretty happy with this.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Two changes which would improve pve.

Number 1 have a pve season where by your cumulative score contribute towards a bigger season score.

Number 2 make gauntlet a 28 day event like shield sim. Play it when you want and have similar rewards to shield sim.

These two changes would encourage a lot more engagement from people (like me) who tend to skip many pve.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would like to see them do PvE seasons like they do for PvP and Guantlent be the PvE equivalent to the Simulator!
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Really? Who voted no and what's wrong with you? If you don't want to play it, then don't but there's no reason it shouldn't be an option.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Really? Who voted no and what's wrong with you? If you don't want to play it, then don't but there's no reason it shouldn't be an option.

Then change the poll and remove the no option. There is a "no" but nobody can select it?

Seems to me that alot of posters don't understand the free to play business model. There's only so much virtual product they can give for free. I don't play other f2p games so I can't compare but I've progressed far being f2p for two years.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I'd love to see Gauntlet run every month, concurrent with other PVE events instead of in place of them, sort of like Shield Sim. It could be be a two- or three-week event that starts the first Monday of every new season.

Hard to see why players would be against this. Extra ISO seems like a good thing. Maybe some people like a mini-break every 4 months?
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Voted no.

Perhaps if the scaling got turned down I'd reconsider. Day 580 player, never once been able to beat it. If this became a monthly thing, I'd probably stop playing.

I'd also like to know why you think its one of peoples favorite events. Within my alliance, like 4 people will finish, only 2 of them claim to like it.

Sure people here like it, but this place is not remotely representative of the game at all.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    "No" vote until such time as the Gauntlet rewards are brought into line with the rest of the current game.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards

A month long gauntlet would add playtime to the game. Rewards would be negligible, because they would be available every month, especially given that this is an addition (rather than a buff, like adding SCL to Shield Simulator or DDQ, increasing rewards already present in the game). The event style isn't suited for a month-long duration, meaning it would either be over in a few days, so most players would ignore it for a month (which wouldn't be that different from how it currently is, except it would run more often), or it would be extended with added difficulty, like increased scaling, lower point values for nodes requiring multiple clears for progression rewards, or something artificial like unlocking each sub event after a timer, preventing you from being able to play it all at once and burning through it too fast. As-is, the current Gauntlet isn't much of a Gauntlet (an endless mode would be a good Gauntlet, or a mode where you can use each character on your roster, but once they're out they're out, so it's an endurance mode with limited resources, THAT is a "gauntlet"), and frankly doesn't really offer enough on its own, and should be fixed as-is before a monthly variant is added. And while the parallels between a monthly PVE event and a PVP season are nice, I kinda like that they have their own schedules, and wouldn't want to make them overlap any more than they already do. The 7-day cycle works for PVE, as does the 28-day Season cycle for PVP. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I could go on, but I think that's enough for one person that voted no. I think this covers plenty of basics on its own. And I didn't even get into how it goes against the business model and stuff like this and "Just give us SCL9/10 already!" would kill the game if the devs did it the way the forums wanted it to be done.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    RoboDuck wrote:
    Voted no.

Perhaps if the scaling got turned down I'd reconsider. Day 580 player, never once been able to beat it. If this became a monthly thing, I'd probably stop playing.

I'd also like to know why you think its one of peoples favorite events. Within my alliance, like 4 people will finish, only 2 of them claim to like it.

Sure people here like it, but this place is not remotely representative of the game at all.
    Wait, if Gauntlet became a supplemental and completely optional extra feature every month, that ran alongside other PvE events instead of replacing them, you'd quit the game? Why?

Personally, Gauntlet is far from my favorite, which is why I'd like to see it become an "extra" bonus-type thing that you do over a long period of time at your own leisure, instead of a featured PvE event. If they're not going to improve the rewards, this to me would be the next best thing.
  • Dartmaster01
    JHawkInc wrote:

A month long gauntlet would add playtime to the game. Rewards would be negligible, because they would be available every month, especially given that this is an addition (rather than a buff, like adding SCL to Shield Simulator or DDQ, increasing rewards already present in the game). The event style isn't suited for a month-long duration, meaning it would either be over in a few days, so most players would ignore it for a month (which wouldn't be that different from how it currently is, except it would run more often), or it would be extended with added difficulty, like increased scaling, lower point values for nodes requiring multiple clears for progression rewards, or something artificial like unlocking each sub event after a timer, preventing you from being able to play it all at once and burning through it too fast. As-is, the current Gauntlet isn't much of a Gauntlet (an endless mode would be a good Gauntlet, or a mode where you can use each character on your roster, but once they're out they're out, so it's an endurance mode with limited resources, THAT is a "gauntlet"), and frankly doesn't really offer enough on its own, and should be fixed as-is before a monthly variant is added. And while the parallels between a monthly PVE event and a PVP season are nice, I kinda like that they have their own schedules, and wouldn't want to make them overlap any more than they already do. The 7-day cycle works for PVE, as does the 28-day Season cycle for PVP. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I could go on, but I think that's enough for one person that voted no. I think this covers plenty of basics on its own. And I didn't even get into how it goes against the business model and stuff like this and "Just give us SCL9/10 already!" would kill the game if the devs did it the way the forums wanted it to be done.

So, basically what your saying is, you want the game tailored to your opinion of what it should be and tiny-kitty what anyone else thinks would be fun. Gotcha
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc wrote:
    Snip
    Snip

So, basically what you're saying is, you want the game tailored to your opinion of what it should be and tiny-kitty what anyone else thinks would be fun. Gotcha

I would prefer an aggregate of many opinions so the game provides fun things for as many people as possible, because it's more fun with a group. Cannot compete with OR against other players when there are no other players, after all.

But when some people want to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat because they want to go swimming, causing us to sink, yes, I do feel the need to speak up against such an opinion.

It is not a crime to deny a small group "fun" when their idea of "fun" could lead to cessation of fun for everyone else, and if your best counter argument is to respond to my criticisms with a "bah-humbug" then maybe a monthly Gauntlet really doesn't have all that much going for it in the first place.
  • Dartmaster01
    edited February 2017
    JHawkInc wrote:
    JHawkInc wrote:
    Snip
    Snip

So, basically what you're saying is, you want the game tailored to your opinion of what it should be and tiny-kitty what anyone else thinks would be fun. Gotcha

I would prefer an aggregate of many opinions so the game provides fun things for as many people as possible, because it's more fun with a group. Cannot compete with OR against other players when there are no other players, after all.

But when some people want to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat because they want to go swimming, causing us to sink, yes, I do feel the need to speak up against such an opinion.

It is not a crime to deny a small group "fun" when their idea of "fun" could lead to cessation of fun for everyone else, and if your best counter argument is to respond to my criticisms with a "bah-humbug" then maybe a monthly Gauntlet really doesn't have all that much going for it in the first place.

Well, you make nice analogies. To bad they do nothing for your point. Having a season long gauntlet would not hurt you in the least. Nothing you have said is a coherent argument for not adding this, you're merely listing general things "you" want and they really don't have much to do the gauntlet itself (other than your opinion of it). The poll itself should tell you that people want this and it would be providing fun for as many people as possible. "It's more fun in a group", again, that's your opinion. Besides, there would be group events running along side this anyway. I will argue properly when situation calls for it, until then....Bah-Humbug.
  • WalrusBrigade
    WalrusBrigade Posts: 94 Match Maker
    I'd be up for this, if it ran parallel to story events (which I think was the main point). I would be even more interested if all CLs were open to everyone and rewards were improved (but not necessarily brought completely in line with story events). I'm in favor of things that allow me to experiment with team combinations. Given a month to complete it, I would feel less compelled to just IM40+Peggy my way through the gauntlet the way I am now. I like the idea of there being something that persists, where I can move forward without competing with other people (PvE) and without getting knocked back by other people (PvP). You could also ditch vaults associated with the even and just hand out heroic/elite/tacos!! tokens instead. Good idea.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Azoth658 wrote:
    Lastly I know the rewards absolutely don't meet the efforts currently but please don't vote no just because you don't like the rewards let's take it one step at a time.

This is a hard ask. You are asking do we want this large effort every month, regardless of reward. The answer then is no. This is one of the harder events in the game and the temptation at the end should merit the work that goes in.

If there were an LT to be had, you'd see more buy in. If it were just a desired cover (yellow 5Strange, black Thano5) you'd see everyone trying for it. As it is, I did enough to get a couple of tokens and that's it.
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Voted yes.

Would happily attempt to grind XP, iso, etc... Whenever I could.

It's not health pack intensive because you can just try again later. My expectation is that rewards would be tweaked a bit, but even if not I would still play it.
  • Manaka
    Manaka Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Yes.

Are the rewards good enough? No.
    Are there things I'd rather see in the game first? Yes, like a (supposedly incoming) update to DDQ, SCL 9 or a revamp to SCL 8 rewards.
    That being said, there are times when I want to play mpq, say if I'm shielded in versus and am playing optimally in the story event, but the only thing I can is grind away at sim. A season long gauntlet would offer added variety (and more iso!) to the game.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Azoth658 wrote:
    Lastly I know the rewards absolutely don't meet the efforts currently but please don't vote no just because you don't like the rewards let's take it one step at a time. This is about having more content that is entirely optional and an additional way to play and earn rewards.

That is a terrible way to pitch this. Sorry.

I'd love for permanent Gauntlet, Lightning Rounds, Survival Wave Nodes, but.....KNOWING THEM......the trade off for giving us what we want is absolutely abysmal / paltry / the usual tight fisted purse strings, where the our efforts FAR outweigh the rewards.

No thx.