Thanos Court Death Sometimes Fails [Fixed in R126]

Comments

• irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Hit this again today.

X-23/OML/Thanos 3*. Matched a 4 green (X-23) and 3 red (OML) at the same time. X-23 healed, the na cascade occurred killing a character. Court Death didn't fire.

This power is simply a mess.
  • wuweird
    wuweird Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Been playing around with Thanos a bit tonight. As best I can tell, Court Death isn't firing if the killing blow was from team-up tile damage. I've seen this consistently happen three times in the past hour.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey who doesn't love retro stuff right?

Devs clearly do because they've brought back that awesome thanos bug whereby his court death passive does not trigger if the enemy is downed with a match 5...again.

Aint no party like a thanos party...shame I can't get death to show up at it though whenever theres a match 5
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Happened again on a lightning round. If at all helpful, I had a cascade killed both of the 1* weaklings on a seed team, but it never fired to take out the featured.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    BIuebell wrote:
    FWIW, Court Death also doesn't trigger on Ares suicide by Sunder.

Is this as intendend? Who can tell...

Court Death states "When YOU down an enemy" since Ares downs himself this is ........Working as IntendedTM
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Had 5* Panther black out, made a match and when the extra Panther black damage was applied, it downed the enemy, but court death didn't trigger. In discussing with alliancemates, several people have seen this. I can't believe there's not already a bug out here about this, especially with all the champed Thanos' I see out there...
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Bump.

Why is this not stickied?! This is a huge **** bug.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    I've been using Thanos a LOT (like... daily)... and I think the bugs on this are getting much rarer.

I'm having trouble remembering the last time it didn't fire as expected, but it does happen... and I think it's _STILL_ tied to passives triggered during a cascade.

Can other's with more frequent occurrences post their experiences (especially if it's 3* or 5* Thanos, and how else you're teaming him with).?
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2017
    I still frequently see this bug. From what I've seen, if you happen to down an opponent during a cascade, Court Death doesn't trigger. This is the only consistent common denominator in all cases I've seen.

So if your opponent dies on the match damage of the tiles you match -- CD triggers. If your opponent dies by you firing a power -- CD triggers. If you make a match that damages the opponent down to 1hp, and this causes a tile to drop and make another match, killing the opponent, CD does not trigger.

This would be 'consistent' in the way that CD only triggers when the opponent dies directly by your hand. But I'd argue that a cascade caused by you is also a death by your hand. For example, Teen Jean's blue passive states 'When the opponent makes a Match 5, [..]', and her passive also triggers when you unintendedly cascade into a match-5.

@Tombstone you can pass that along to the devs :mrgreen:
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Court Death has all sorts of issues with not firing off.

I tend to believe the "deal damage twice" change/bug is related to this.  I think they might have changed how it works to trigger Court Death better, but it didn't fix the issue, and they haven't reverted back to the original method.
  • SummerGlau
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Had 5* Panther black out, made a match and when the extra Panther black damage was applied, it downed the enemy, but court death didn't trigger. In discussing with alliancemates, several people have seen this. I can't believe there's not already a bug out here about this, especially with all the champed Thanos' I see out there...
    There are numerous threads about court death not firing

Death by Cascade (match 5 or the immediate aftermath of one).....not Working as Intended

Death by Passive (passives cannot trigger other passives) Working as Intended

was the enemy downed by the Black Countdown or by the yellow passive...if the latter working as intended

if not let's hope they at least get Thanos working right before they nerfbat him
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    weird thing happened to me today with this in the groot pvp - after court death failing to fire, groot yellow passive heal failed twice. as if thanos gave him performance anxiety or something...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    y4747 said:
    weird thing happened to me today with this in the groot pvp - after court death failing to fire, groot yellow passive heal failed twice. as if thanos gave him performance anxiety or something...
    Was Thanos purple CD on board? That will block R&G's healing since the TU tiles can't be destroyed
  • SummerGlau
    fmftint said:
    y4747 said:
    Was Thanos purple CD on board? That will block R&G's healing since the TU tiles can't be destroyed
    This and are you sure R$G were at or under the required % of max Health?
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Just had bug happen 5 times to me during Cloak and Dagger PVP. If Cloak places black tiles on the board and it creates a match that kills an enemy; Thanos Passive will not go off.
  • SummerGlau
    Just had bug happen 5 times to me during Cloak and Dagger PVP. If Cloak places black tiles on the board and it creates a match that kills an enemy; Thanos Passive will not go off.
    Cloak's Black Power i a passive in this situation...passives don't cause other passives to be triggered
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I bet they've been thinking of changing/nerfing Court Death because of the bugs and how powerful it is.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did this get fixed? I've had a couple of cascades involving crits lately that did trigger it, and don't think I've seen it fail for a while now.
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    had it fail on me yesterday...
  • Truffleupagus
    Truffleupagus Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    I wonder if it's a timing issue.  During Strange Sights, I noticed one of the shinobi (ninja with the black mask) fail to generate its attack tiles when it died.  That was after a long cascade that *also* failed to trigger Court Death that same cascade.

In addition, I notice that Dr. Strange's yellow will sometimes show the power's animation twice in the same turn if there's a lengthy cascade between the two triggers.

It all makes me think that there's something timing out that prevents certain events from firing.  This would explain why crits aren't really part of the equation.