Thanos Court Death Sometimes Fails [Fixed in R126]

alaeth
alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
Can we either have the tool-tip updated to reflect the conditions that trigger this ability, or fix it?

I assume it's the same for the 3* variant, but for my 5* one I have about 50-50 luck having it trigger in R119. It's getting to the point where it surprises me when it does work!

Easiest to reproduce:
* Lightning Rounds, target the lowest health opponent
* make a match that triggers a cascade (especially if another friendly ability fires like X-23 Savage Healing.

Under these conditions, it is highly unlikely that Court Death will fire.

Comments

• Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,749 Chairperson of the Boards
    alaeth wrote:
    Can we either have the tool-tip updated to reflect the conditions that trigger this ability, or fix it?

I assume it's the same for the 3* variant, but for my 5* one I have about 50-50 luck having it trigger. It's getting to the point where it surprises me when it does work!

Easiest to reproduce:
    * Lightning Rounds, target the lowest health opponent
    * make a match that triggers a cascade (especially if another friendly ability fires like X-23 Savage Healing.

Under these conditions, it is highly unlikely that Court Death will fire.

I'd say mine is more like 1 in 4 chance of not working, but yes, when combined with a cascade, the Court Death just doesn't trigger.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    5* here. Seems like in my experience that its having issues when the cascade creates a crit tile.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    user311 wrote:
    5* here. Seems like in my experience that its having issues when the cascade creates a crit tile.

I've only seen it a couple times, but both times it was with a crit creation.
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    I've noticed the same pattern with my 5*. Always seemed to be if I downed an opponent on my first move but, now that you folks mention it, that almost always involves a cascade and/or a crit. I always attributed it to not having a black AP before the cascade, but have no evidence to support that.
  • I'm seeing this as well, but also some other odd behavior. If I read the description correctly, everyone but Thanos should be stunned when this kicks off. I see everyone get stunned, but never get a chance to move tiles before everyone is unstunned. It acts as if every member of both teams gets stunned. I've even been hit with enemy attack tiles prior to everyone being unstunned.
  • cpeyton3535
    apmonte wrote:
    I'm seeing this as well, but also some other odd behavior. If I read the description correctly, everyone but Thanos should be stunned when this kicks off. I see everyone get stunned, but never get a chance to move tiles before everyone is unstunned. It acts as if every member of both teams gets stunned. I've even been hit with enemy attack tiles prior to everyone being unstunned.

I've seen this as well. Every now and then I get a move with Thanos while my opponents and teammates are stunned, but that's rare.
  • Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey guys, thank you for noting and sharing your experience with this issue. We've been seeing a number of reports from players on this topic from Customer Support side of things and are currently trying to gather data for the developers. If you could please, send in support tickets to Customer Support with a detailed report of what you guys had experienced. If you guys can include steps taken, characters you used, characters on your opponent's team, team-ups used, and/or any common catalyst if you've experienced the issue more than once. Every bit of information that you guys can provide us will help us reproduce the issue and then work for a fix.

If you're unsure of where to reach Customer Support, you can follow the link provided: https://d3go.com/mpq-support
  • cpeyton3535
    Tombstone wrote:
    Hey guys, thank you for noting and sharing your experience with this issue. We've been seeing a number of reports from players on this topic from Customer Support side of things and are currently trying to gathering data for the developers. If you could please, send in support tickets to Customer Support with a detailed report of what you guys had experienced. If you guys can include steps taken, characters you used, characters on your opponents team, team-ups used, and/or any common catalyst if you've experienced the issue more than once. Every bit of information that you guys can provide us will help us reproduce the issue and then work for a fix.

If you're unsure of where to reach Customer Support, you can follow the link provided: https://d3go.com/mpq-support

I would love to sit down and troubleshoot this for HOURS. Thanos is my current constant in PvE, PvP and DDQ so I have ample opportunity. Unfortunately I have been unable to play MPQ since Wednesday. I've been locked on the VIP Reward screen and can't proceed past it. Ticket submitted, no response.

Rant over, sorry! icon_redface.gif

I'll log a ticket for Thanos related issues as soon as I can start playing again.
  • Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    It's not just Thanos that this is a problem with. The bug seems to be with passives in general.

I've noticed a few other passives that haven't fired when they are supposed to.

Daken
    Doctor Octopus
    Professor X

In each case a cascade was involved.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that you mention it -- I also saw it a few days ago when fighting some Hand goons, where 'Turn to Smoke' didn't activate during some cascade even though the Tseiatsu wasn't stunned.
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Another data point for this thread:

I was using Quicksilver and had four locked_qs.png on the board. During my turn, I had a cascade that included a blue match and a match-5 (I am not sure if the critical match was in blue or another color).

Quicksilver's passive (Supersonic) fired as expected, dealing damage to the other team and destroying all locked tiles.
    However, my turn continued (due to the critical match), and Quicksilver's AP costs for his green and black powers were still reduced, despite the fact that there were zero locked_qs.png on the board.
    Only after I made another match-3 and my turn ended did the AP costs return to normal.

So in this case, the passive was triggered by the cascade, but it didn't function 100% normally.
  • Lytes420
    Lytes420 Posts: 63 Match Maker
    So far today I've had thanos' court death power not go off 3 times.it is not completely broken,but it is frustrating when it doesn't.anyone else having this issue?
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    What are the circumstances?
    Death by Passive is Working as IntendedTM
    death by Match 5 is a known issue
  • Lytes420
    Lytes420 Posts: 63 Match Maker
    It happened a total of 5 times for final grind and first clear of subs 2 and 3 of pve.i can't remember the circumstance for each time,but I'm positive they were not all after match 5's.i'll try to keep track if it happens again.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    I was playing a LR this morning with Loki/3* Dr. Strange/3* Thanos against seed teams. Usually, one match is sufficient to kill the non-featured character (in this case, I think it was 1* Storm and 1* Hawkeye) and I made a match-4 to start the game. I downed a character, Loki's Mischief power fired, and the game should have ended there, since 5-black Court Death does ~4000 damage. However, the animation did not fire and no additional enemy characters took damage. I had to down the second 1* character to get Court Death to fire.
  • cpeyton3535
    Very anti-climactic when it happens, isn't it?

This is an issue that's been unresolved for quite some time now. Couple of threads already including this one:

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58371
  • BIuebell
    BIuebell Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    In a cascade, it seems that Court Death only triggers if an enemy is downed by the very first match.

My guess is that there is some internal flag that's set to avoid Court Death triggering itself, and that this flag is set by mistake also when matching tiles.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    This has occasionally happened to me before tonight.

But I just had a match where Court Death on my 5* Thanos did not trigger at all. Even on a single match that KOed an opponent.

It was working a few hours ago when I last played. The only difference today is that I opened a bunch of Latest Legends, and received 2 more Thanos covers for green and applied them. It was working, and now it just stopped.
  • BIuebell
    BIuebell Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    FWIW, Court Death also doesn't trigger on Ares suicide by Sunder.

Is this as intendend? Who can tell...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tombstone wrote:
    Hey guys, thank you for noting and sharing your experience with this issue. We've been seeing a number of reports from players on this topic from Customer Support side of things and are currently trying to gather data for the developers. If you could please, send in support tickets to Customer Support with a detailed report of what you guys had experienced. If you guys can include steps taken, characters you used, characters on your opponent's team, team-ups used, and/or any common catalyst if you've experienced the issue more than once. Every bit of information that you guys can provide us will help us reproduce the issue and then work for a fix.

No offense but, aren't these the tasks of PAID TESTERS? This has been a persistent issue for 2 months