Phil Coulson

13»

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:
    *Reserved for commenting on this topic...once I remove any spoilers and non-finalized information.

You might as well had changed the Subject, maybe move and lock it too icon_lol.gif
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    matthatter wrote:
    Announce new releases weeks in advance and let us get all mob-like and generate our own excitement.
    No amount of time in advance is going to make me start salivating for Phil Coulson. icon_rolleyes.gif

Now, tell me Rogue is coming in a few months and I'll be hunting these boards for fun speculation, planning vacation days around her release event in order to play optimally. (Ok, maybe not the vacation days, but you get my point.)
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:
    *Reserved for commenting on this topic...once I remove any spoilers and non-finalized information.

Boo.

The crackdown on spoilers would be easier to believe if the information weren't being leaked to people otherwise. People already knew this character was coming, so why jump through the hoops to keep us from talking about it on the forums? It would be more fun to get the info a bit at a time, and let us speculate on who it is and what they'll do.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Yeah, let us discuss and predict which pve he is coming on so I can skip it. Haha
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    Brigby wrote:

Little late for that. icon_e_biggrin.gif I kid.

I was always curious, why are the devs so concerned about spoilers for upcoming characters anyway? It isn't like telling us that, yes, a Marvel game will contain the lead character from a prime time Marvel network TV show is some earth-shattering revelation.

I believe the issue is that the character is unfinished and bound to change. A while ago, there was a character that was leaked well in advance (I'm thinking Quicksilver, but I may be wrong) with full moveset, and then when the time of its release came, his stats were quite different (and inferior) to what had been spoiled. People got angry about the "nerf" and made a big stink about it.

Here's a little-known fact about design: you want to start at an exciting, perhaps risky point then iterate until it is also fair. Sometimes, there's just no way to make it fair so the whole thing has to be scrapped. However, it is preferable than to start with a dull, safe design and attempting to make it fun, exciting and powerful. TL;DR: Almost every unfinished, untested design will seem more powerful and novel than the finished product.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2017
    OK, Coulson is not finished yet...I understand....
    but WHY SEVERAL PLAYERS FROM THE SAME ALLIANCE have got him?
    I've controlled by myself because I thought it was a joke.
    This seems really strange icon_question.gif
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    matthatter wrote:
    firethorne wrote:
    Brigby wrote:

Little late for that. icon_e_biggrin.gif I kid.

I was always curious, why are the devs so concerned about spoilers for upcoming characters anyway? It isn't like telling us that, yes, a Marvel game will contain the lead character from a prime time Marvel network TV show is some earth-shattering revelation.

Right? Consider also that they announced Totally Awesome Hulk months in advance. Announce new releases weeks in advance and let us get all mob-like and generate our own excitement.

Maybe this is their new marketing strategy. Release a 'bug' that teases the character then try and cover it up. The act of trying to cover it up only makes hype generate more...

Nah, that's giving them way too much credit.

Also this thread now looks like:
    redaction1.png?w=480&h=341
    Seriously, this is a game not a CIA document... who cares if we hear unofficial stats on a coming character. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Its the exciting new feature they were talking about, an Agent Coulson cover will occasionally appear in your roster, the more money you spend the better the odds for one showing up icon_lol.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I imagine D3/Demi aren't allowed to reveal information about upcoming characters in advance since that would lessen the traffic to marvel.com when they post their Piecing Together articles to reveal the new character. The licensor (Marvel, in this case) probably has the right to decide when and where the character is revealed.
  • AlphaNik
    AlphaNik Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Calnexin wrote:
    This is another example of breaking the fiction for me.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Phil Coulson character. His "power set" in the fiction should rate around the 2-3* range. He was killed in the first movie and then brought back, since when he's been busting minor threats, usually using a team to do it. In the current TV series he's got a bionic hand, which gives him a little extra oomph, but we're expected to believe he could compete with the likes of Hulkbuster armor and... uh... well, maybe Starlord. Not sure that character should be on that tier, either.

Yes, it's a game, but sandwiching in whatever IP you've got to whatever tier fits next is sloppy. Does the source material mean nothing?

Most in game animation show some form of physical attack, so we are brought to imagine every MPQ battle like a physical confrontation. You can as well imagine the game to be a representation of a conflict on a bigger scale. I mean we have in game many characters who would be pretty useless on the battlefield but powerful on a strategic / global scale. Nick Fury's yellow is an example. People complain about Widow not being able to stand a change against the like of Thor, Iron Man ecc... still she managed to prove quite useful against Loki in the first Avengers film. So yeah the TV series Phil Coulson uses a team to get results, maybe the MPQ Coulson will just do the same, even if the aformentioned team it's not in the game (yet) and we never see it. I'm quite confident I'd come out quite good in a fist fight with the president of the united states (not so confident actually icon_e_smile.gif), yet he's more powerful than me.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    WEBGAS wrote:
    I've only heard this through the grapevine, but what I heard was that an alliance had a purchase, and not all players received the correct amount of bonus CP. They filed a ticket to get the missing CP, and somehow Customer Support accidentally sent some of them the Coulson cover.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Did those lucky few get to keep the covers?

Seems a bit unfair that they're forced to give them up because of someone else's error.
  • chris0001
    chris0001 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    DayvBang wrote:
    WEBGAS wrote:
    I've only heard this through the grapevine, but what I heard was that an alliance had a purchase, and not all players received the correct amount of bonus CP. They filed a ticket to get the missing CP, and somehow Customer Support accidentally sent some of them the Coulson cover.

WOW...Some one posted on FB their letter from D3 to sell Coulson cover and they would be compensated 1K hero points. Just wow.. but yet others cant get compensated for anything but big spenders get hp for D3 mess up??
  • Quebbster
    chris0001 wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    WEBGAS wrote:

WOW...Some one posted on FB their letter from D3 to sell Coulson cover and they would be compensated 1K hero points. Just wow.. but yet others cant get compensated for anything but big spenders get hp for D3 mess up??
    D3 wants the Coulson covers removed from the game. Best way to do that is to offer compensation for deleting him.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    chris0001 wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    WEBGAS wrote:

D3 wants the Coulson covers removed from the game. Best way to do that is to offer compensation for deleting him.

1K HP? Seems low. I mean, I get that getting Coulson was a mistake to begin with. But, own your mistakes and take some time to just buy yourselves some good will for once. If this is limited to one alliance, it isn't like swapping out Coulson for a free 4* Carol would break the bank. 1K HP doesn't even guarantee a 3* draw.
  • chris0001 wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    WEBGAS wrote:

They're just reimbursing the 1000HP spent to roster him.
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    Koffitok wrote:
    They're just reimbursing the 1000HP spent to roster him.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that the cover was added to a new slot, a la TAH...
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Enlighten me because I'm lost, but compensation for what? They got additional cover, right? Somebody lost something? Suffered somehow?
    I don't see what really should be compensated icon_razz.gif
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    smoq84 wrote:
    Enlighten me because I'm lost, but compensation for what? They got additional cover, right? Somebody lost something? Suffered somehow?
    From the screenshot of the e-mail I read, it sounds like devs are trying to get them to sell it back voluntarily, as going in and taking it could cause issues with save states.
  • Quebbster
    JablesMc wrote:
    smoq84 wrote:
    From the screenshot of the e-mail I read, it sounds like devs are trying to get them to sell it back voluntarily, as going in and taking it could cause issues with save states.
    "That's a nice account you have there. Would be a shame if anything happened to it..."