GrimSkald wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Magere wrote:

Send in...
    large_calvary.jpg

lol, j/k

Calvary. That word does not mean what you think it means. icon_e_smile.gif

Yeah, methinks he means Cavalry... icon_e_confused.gif

I know, I know... that's why I put "j/k" icon_lol.gif I'm just palling around, folks icon_e_smile.gif
  • JablesMc
    JablesMc Posts: 235 Tile Toppler
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I know, I know... that's why I put "j/k" icon_lol.gif I'm just palling around, folks icon_e_smile.gif
    TOTALLY missed that. icon_lol.gif
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is another example of breaking the fiction for me.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Phil Coulson character. His "power set" in the fiction should rate around the 2-3* range. He was killed in the first movie and then brought back, since when he's been busting minor threats, usually using a team to do it. In the current TV series he's got a bionic hand, which gives him a little extra oomph, but we're expected to believe he could compete with the likes of Hulkbuster armor and... uh... well, maybe Starlord. Not sure that character should be on that tier, either.

Yes, it's a game, but sandwiching in whatever IP you've got to whatever tier fits next is sloppy. Does the source material mean nothing?
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Yeah, methinks he means Cavalry... icon_e_confused.gif

No, he means Calgary.

Calgary.gif
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I love the Phil Coulson character. His "power set" in the fiction should rate around the 2-3* range. He was killed in the first movie and then brought back, since when he's been busting minor threats, usually using a team to do it. In the current TV series he's got a bionic hand, which gives him a little extra oomph, but we're expected to believe he could compete with the likes of Hulkbuster armor and... uh... well, maybe Starlord. Not sure that character should be on that tier, either.

Yes, it's a game, but sandwiching in whatever IP you've got to whatever tier fits next is sloppy. Does the source material mean nothing?

To hard core gamers who care only about the meta game, the source material is irrelevant. As far as I can tell, most people that play don't care.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Calnexin wrote:

The * ranking is rarity and has nothing to do with power level. You could argue the same about Black Widow.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2017
    Eh, if this were two years ago, sure, but the Coulson is the awesome train left the station long ago so this just feels like a pointless tie-in for the sake of an IP tie-in.

We're deep in tie-in characters maybe throw us a bone and insert a classic character every now and then.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Back when icon_devildino.png was released I know someone that accidentally got a cover for the old star.png NPC icon_devildino.png instead of the new star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png PC icon_devildino.png.

No need to be coy with his identity, he hasn't shut up about it since. icon_lol.gif
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2017
    Calnexin wrote:

Is Classic Storm canonically less powerful than Riri Williams? Would you say Juggernaut is inferior to Punisher?

Idk why people keep harping on this. Stars have never been about actual power level, it's a game mechanic and it's been that way pretty much since the beginning.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,700 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know the solution! 1-5* for every character. What this game needs most is more variants.

I kid, I kid.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Reserved for commenting on this topic...once I remove any spoilers and non-finalized information.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:

I figured, but it's hard to resist a chance to paraphrase "The Princess Bride."
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:
    *Reserved for commenting on this topic...once I remove any spoilers and non-finalized information.

Little late for that. icon_e_biggrin.gif I kid.

I was always curious, why are the devs so concerned about spoilers for upcoming characters anyway? It isn't like telling us that, yes, a Marvel game will contain the lead character from a prime time Marvel network TV show is some earth-shattering revelation.
  • matthatter
    matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    firethorne wrote:
    Brigby wrote:

I was always curious, why are the devs so concerned about spoilers for upcoming characters anyway? It isn't like telling us that, yes, a Marvel game will contain the lead character from a prime time Marvel network TV show is some earth-shattering revelation.

Right? Consider also that they announced Totally Awesome Hulk months in advance. Announce new releases weeks in advance and let us get all mob-like and generate our own excitement.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    matthatter wrote:
    firethorne wrote:
    Brigby wrote:

Right? Consider also that they announced Totally Awesome Hulk months in advance. Announce new releases weeks in advance and let us get all mob-like and generate our own excitement.

My guess is, with all of the characters like Riri showing up in Future Fight at about the same time, they're getting the release schedule from Marvel and are bound from saying anything because of corporate mumbo jumbo.