Sniper, No Sniping!

Comments

• DaBeast911
    DaBeast911 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    edited January 2017
    People play the way they want, enforcers enforce, snipers snipe, climbers climb.A guppy in a sea full of piranhas will inevitably be eaten, bones turned to ash or made into neck charms. I love to snipe, best way to play the game, hitting 1200 has never been my goal, my goal is to have fun and if I get 1200, so be it but I could careless. If that makes me a jerk, can be the king jerk? I don't like being amongst other jerks, it messes with my ethics and morality...

Moderator edit: removed insults and baiting of another forum member. That's against the rules and could result in formal forum warnings or bans.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    The underlying problem here is the mechanic of PVP itself - unless the opponent is shielded, then you gaining points by default means that they must lose some. We would not be having this discussion if a hit didn't mean you losing points. In my honest opinion, PVP wouldn't be any less fun or competitive if they took that mechanic away. People with stronger rosters would still see the benefits of having a strong roster, and people that aren't quite into 4* territory wouldn't have to be so discouraged from trying to reach progression rewards higher than 575 without getting their score destroyed by whales and people that are ages ahead of them in term of roster development. Just like PVE, the top rewards will go to the people who work the hardest period, not just the people with insane rosters and copious amounts of HP to spare.

But I digress on that. At the end of the day, my point is that the game wouldn't be any less enjoyable for you if they take away your ability to bring someone else down. A rising tide raises all ships, which was the original premise of the cupcake system to begin with. Everyone last one of us is here to improve our roster, and someone else making their roster better doesn't take anything away from yours. Sure placement rewards are only given to the highest scores at a certain level, but if John Doe is 10 points ahead of me and I want to take his spot in the t5, I DON'T HAVE TO HIT JOHN DOE TO GET THERE. There are literally thousands of other players out there in any given slice for you to possibly beat in order to increase your own score. John Doe also doesn't have to attack YOU in order to get his spot back. So John Doe going out of his way to make sure he hits you directly is an tinykitty move, by any definition. We all knock each other down in some way or another with the current system as we're climbing, but taking the time to make sure you hit someone repeatedly is intentionally kicking someone while they are down. You don't have to kick someone while they're down to improve your alliance and allies' score. Sportsmanship is a concept that exists in any form of competition, even ACTUAL FIGHTING, so it isn't any less uncouth just because you're doing it from a handheld device. Game or not, respect is respect, and there is a such thing as crossing the line. If I'm worth 75 points, great! Go for yours! No one in the MPQ universe would blame you. But when you go so far as to decrease your own points to try and make a specific person's life miserable when there's literally thousands of other targets that's called being an ****. There's literally nothing you can say to change that.
    This is ridiculous. What you described is not PvP, but PvE without timers, and it sounds miserable. If no one loses points then your roster doesn't matter, the winner is the player that has the most time to play and that sounds terrible.

If I'm battling you for T5 sure I can pass you by hitting someone else, but then it's very easy for you to do the same. If I wait for you to unshield and pass you by hitting you it becomes much harder for you to reclaim your spot. This is player versus player competition at the most basic level, and if you feel that this kind of behavior is at all unsportsmanlike then you are off your rocker.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    "But when you go so far as to decrease your own points to try and make a specific person's life miserable when there's literally thousands of other targets that's called being an ****."

Make someone's life miserable? I think you're taking this game way too seriously, brotha. You are conveniently forgetting that in order to dump, you are giving someone else points. So I would argue I'm making someone else's life magnificent!
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    All the comparisons to team sports, in real life, are misguided.

Let's compare to another video game: NFL Blitz.

Everyone who has ever played Blitz knows the best (and only) way to prevent a pass play is to tackle the receiver before he catches the ball.

If it wasn't meant to happen, the game wouldn't be coded the way it is. I don't see any rules, guidelines, etc., that say you must play a specific way.

Adapt or be left behind, I say. I know I won't be crossing the Suspects. I don't want to get Slatered™...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    But when you go so far as to decrease your own points to try and make a specific person's life miserable when there's literally thousands of other targets that's called being an ****. There's literally nothing you can say to change that.
    We must be playing very different games. A typical event will offer approximately 2 dozen unique names from beginning to end
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    The underlying problem here is the mechanic of PVP itself - unless the opponent is shielded, then you gaining points by default means that they must lose some. We would not be having this discussion if a hit didn't mean you losing points. In my honest opinion, PVP wouldn't be any less fun or competitive if they took that mechanic away. People with stronger rosters would still see the benefits of having a strong roster, and people that aren't quite into 4* territory wouldn't have to be so discouraged from trying to reach progression rewards higher than 575 without getting their score destroyed by whales and people that are ages ahead of them in term of roster development. Just like PVE, the top rewards will go to the people who work the hardest period, not just the people with insane rosters and copious amounts of HP to spare.

But I digress on that. At the end of the day, my point is that the game wouldn't be any less enjoyable for you if they take away your ability to bring someone else down. A rising tide raises all ships, which was the original premise of the cupcake system to begin with. Everyone last one of us is here to improve our roster, and someone else making their roster better doesn't take anything away from yours. Sure placement rewards are only given to the highest scores at a certain level, but if John Doe is 10 points ahead of me and I want to take his spot in the t5, I DON'T HAVE TO HIT JOHN DOE TO GET THERE. There are literally thousands of other players out there in any given slice for you to possibly beat in order to increase your own score. John Doe also doesn't have to attack YOU in order to get his spot back. So John Doe going out of his way to make sure he hits you directly is an tinykitty move, by any definition. We all knock each other down in some way or another with the current system as we're climbing, but taking the time to make sure you hit someone repeatedly is intentionally kicking someone while they are down. You don't have to kick someone while they're down to improve your alliance and allies' score. Sportsmanship is a concept that exists in any form of competition, even ACTUAL FIGHTING, so it isn't any less uncouth just because you're doing it from a handheld device. Game or not, respect is respect, and there is a such thing as crossing the line. If I'm worth 75 points, great! Go for yours! No one in the MPQ universe would blame you. But when you go so far as to decrease your own points to try and make a specific person's life miserable when there's literally thousands of other targets that's called being an ****. There's literally nothing you can say to change that.
    This is ridiculous. What you described is not PvP, but PvE without timers, and it sounds miserable. If no one loses points then your roster doesn't matter, the winner is the player that has the most time to play and that sounds terrible.

If I'm battling you for T5 sure I can pass you by hitting someone else, but then it's very easy for you to do the same. If I wait for you to unshield and pass you by hitting you it becomes much harder for you to reclaim your spot. This is player versus player competition at the most basic level, and if you feel that this kind of behavior is at all unsportsmanlike then you are off your rocker.

Someone else could just as easily climb to that spot......you gonna unshield and target every single person that climbs to a level that threatens you? No, you don't realistically have the resources or time to do that. So you choosing to target ONE PERSON when there are hundreds of others who could still be a threat to you is still being a ****......it doesn't change the logic. Also, the award would go to the person who worked the hardest, not simply who has the most time. A person with a strong roster easily trumps someone with all the time in the world if they can't be a 4-star or 5-star team. You're not going to make that logic work in your favor, sorry. If going after the people with the highest score is your strategy, fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with climbing up on nothing but 60+ point qs. But again, going out of your way to try and keep 1 person out when there's hundreds of others all going for the same prize isn't strategy, it's spite.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Spudgutter wrote:
    But if someone with a lesser roster than mine wants to put in that extra time and effort to get better rewards, than so be it. My argument, I don't know about Murdock, is that snipers keeping others down just to help those are jerks. And I would use stronger language then the forums would allow to describe them if I could
    Then why have PvP at all? Why even allow people to lose points? I'm sorry, but not everyone wants to spend 2k HP/event trying to score as high as possible and secure a T5 placement. I think I'll keep playing defense so that I get my T5 placement without spending a fortune every event.
    Why have PvP??? Then why have PvE? Why have a game? Why ask why? I think we are arguing two different points. I play enough to get the rewards I want, and spend HP on rare occasions to help or maintain that reward. If someone wants to spend more (time, money, whatever) to do better, than good for them. Positive outcome. But I am of the opinion that if you actively seek someone out and actively try to reduce their standing multiple times, that it is a negative thing. If you want to do that, fine, play how you want.

Just realize that you can have positive impacts on people in life, or negative ones. Sure, it's just a game, but if someone is that negative and vitriolic in "just a game," I feel bad for them.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    pssshh w/evs....villains gonna villain
    As long as the game lets me play Doom,hood,bullseye, etc and get my villain/sith/spike game on, then you can't expect everyone to play "nice". If someone is hardcore,passionate,ruthless, and scheming to gain status and prizes that fits right in-line with the Marvel narrative and the in-game meta. Kingpin colluded and schemed power grabs to gain his position. Goblin goes at spiderman hard, repeatedly, beyond reasonable: sacrificing everything. Seems like if members of an alliance(organized for the purpose of competitive PvP) have strategies that will yield them longer term gains and greater sense of fulfillment and work hard to enact their plans even at the expense of another player(s) then: good for them. Game recognize, ya know? take what they did right: emulate where you can, adapt and strategize how to succeed.

Theres that kid in dodgeball that always goes for the head or kitten basket. always. he never is one of the last ones standing but man he loves it. Calling him names and accusing him of cheating isn't going to make him stop. He might not ever stop. So like after the second or third time you get caught you play a lil D, hold your dodgeball and smack his pitch outta the air and you and your friends pelt him as hard as you can.
    I don't play it every day, but every time I do play dodgeball: I know theres someone who's going to try it. It is really fun even though I am not very good at it! and if theres that jerk who's like "i'm gonna get you today purplemur" and he makes it not fun by picking on me, I'll go play basketball in the other gym. whatever- it's just a game. If it cross the lines where it goes beyond that game of dodgeball; then you tell a teacher that your getting actually Bullied and they will probably make the bully go run laps or something not dodgeball. I bet in this case the admins would ban someone for cheating or cyberbullying. I believe they DO keep the games fair.

what do I know: i just PvP for chances at bagman!
  • BoyWonder1914
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    "But when you go so far as to decrease your own points to try and make a specific person's life miserable when there's literally thousands of other targets that's called being an ****."

Make someone's life miserable? I think you're taking this game way too seriously, brotha. You are conveniently forgetting that in order to dump, you are giving someone else points. So I would argue I'm making someone else's life magnificent!
    How does that mean I'm taking the game too seriously? No **** the points you lose are going to SOMEONE, but you're going out of your way to make sure you bring one specific person down with you. There's still plenty of other people who will be climbing..... icon_neutral.gif
  • Spudgutter
    Peej13 wrote:
    All the comparisons to team sports, in real life, are misguided.

Let's compare to another video game: NFL Blitz.

Everyone who has ever played Blitz knows the best (and only) way to prevent a pass play is to tackle the receiver before he catches the ball.

If it wasn't meant to happen, the game wouldn't be coded the way it is. I don't see any rules, guidelines, etc., that say you must play a specific way.

Adapt or be left behind, I say. I know I won't be crossing the Suspects. I don't want to get Slatered™...

A game is a game is a game. Real life, electronic, whatever, comparisons can (and obviously are) made.

Never played Blitz, so I was unaware of that. How many PvP points should I be penalized for not being aware of this?

If it wasn't meant to happen, you would think the Devs would try multiple times, in multiple ways, to curb that. Oh wait, they have. And don't play ignorant like most people playing at a highly competitive level are unaware of the forums, or the Devs intentions.

And your last point is what is the most upsetting part. If you are legitimately unaware, and hit the wrong person twice in a row (because they are the only high value targets put in front of you) while they are climbing or grilling or whatever, you get put on some hit list. Now, unbeknownst to you, the next time you try to play, you get creamed from every direction without explanation (thanks devs for having such a crappie in game communication mechanic).
  • BoyWonder1914
    fmftint wrote:
    But when you go so far as to decrease your own points to try and make a specific person's life miserable when there's literally thousands of other targets that's called being an ****. There's literally nothing you can say to change that.
    We must be playing very different games. A typical event will offer approximately 2 dozen unique names from beginning to end

500 people per bracket, multiple bracket flips a day, and you're up against literally everyone else that chose that particular slice, regardless of clearance level. Sure that amounts to AT LEAST a few thousand other people....... icon_neutral.gif
    Of course who you can q is limited by your points, their points, and MMR, but that doesn't change the total of pool of players you're up against.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:

How does that mean I'm taking the game too seriously? No tinykitty the points you lose are going to SOMEONE, but you're going out of your way to make sure you bring one specific person down with you. There's still plenty of other people who will be climbing..... icon_neutral.gif

Actually no, there is NOT plenty of other people climbing and I'm not going to spend all day waiting for different targets to show up in MPQ's MMR system. Gotta hit someone. And in my world where there are only 5 targets on repeat, inevitably 3 are alliance mates, 1 ain't worth much, and so I'm sorry number 5, you're getting hit. Often times repeatedly. You have options #5: you can shield, you can drop and/or wait until I'm done or get bored, or you can continue to try and climb and feed me points. Your choice.

And as far as dumping--most of us aren't climbing to shield. I don't want to spend 8 hours of my day shield hopping and looking for q's and all that. I pick up my phone, play when I can, and put it back down. If I get too high, the targets thin out and/or become worthless. That's not fun. You can blame D3 for that. So I choose to drop back down and do it all over again.
  • Spudgutter
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:

How does that mean I'm taking the game too seriously? No tinykitty the points you lose are going to SOMEONE, but you're going out of your way to make sure you bring one specific person down with you. There's still plenty of other people who will be climbing..... icon_neutral.gif

Actually no, there is NOT plenty of other people climbing and I'm not going to spend all day waiting for different targets to show up in MPQ's MMR system. Gotta hit someone. And in my world where there are only 5 targets on repeat, inevitably 3 are alliance mates, 1 ain't worth much, and so I'm sorry number 5, you're getting hit. Often times repeatedly. You have options #5: you can shield, you can drop and/or wait until I'm done or get bored, or you can continue to try and climb and feed me points. Your choice.

And as far as dumping--most of us aren't climbing to shield. I don't want to spend 8 hours of my day shield hopping and looking for q's and all that. I pick up my phone, play when I can, and put it back down. If I get too high, the targets thin out and/or become worthless. That's not fun. You can blame D3 for that. So I choose to drop back down and do it all over again.

Now that, I can respect. If you are playing that way because you have the time and energy, bravo. If I had the spare time, I would probably dump a few just for extra iso and 2* covers for the farm.

But his original post was referring to people dumping just to go after someone in particular . That's where I would think most people would agree it becomes bad behavior.
  • BoyWonder1914
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:

Then tough titty for you that your qs suck. Guess what? IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE that climbs to a certain level. You know what MOST PEOPLE do with friendly alliance Qs? Hold them so that they can help each other out. You know why? So that they can score higher points and not even have to bother worrying about taking away someone else's points and leaving more room for retaliation down the line....You know what MOST PEOPLE do when they see the SAME person after they already hit them? Hit SOMEONE ELSE. Or at the very least try and give them time to make sure they're shielded so THEY don't lose points, and YOU don't leave a retal to lose the points you've been gaining. Obviously we all blame D3 for the way the game is set up, but the way the game is setup isnt an excuse to be a **** when MOST PEOPLE who play it decide to use courtesy in light of a game design that's no one's fault. People choose to be courteous because they know how much it would suck if someone did it to them. You think you're the only person who has a life and "doesn't have time", or doesn't want to spend large amounts of HP? I'm sure it must have been sooooo cheap to champ some of those 5-stars.

Lmfao, I'm done. Play the game how you want to play the game, but don't try to dump on other people who simply believe that they don't need to hold someone else back to get ahead.
  • Fightmastermpq

Someone else could just as easily climb to that spot......you gonna unshield and target every single person that climbs to a level that threatens you? No, you don't realistically have the resources or time to do that. So you choosing to target ONE PERSON when there are hundreds of others who could still be a threat to you is still being a ****......it doesn't change the logic. Also, the award would go to the person who worked the hardest, not simply who has the most time. A person with a strong roster easily trumps someone with all the time in the world if they can't be a 4-star or 5-star team. You're not going to make that logic work in your favor, sorry. If going after the people with the highest score is your strategy, fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with climbing up on nothing but 60+ point qs. But again, going out of your way to try and keep 1 person out when there's hundreds of others all going for the same prize isn't strategy, it's spite.
    There are ~40 people in my BC competing for T5 spots in ~8 brackets. PvP is not an isolated event. We see the same names pop up every week, and so we know who we are in competition with for placement, and they get targeted. Not everyone in the slice has time to play 24/7, or money to spend on 12 shields/event, and so we help each other out by targeting specific threats before they get so far ahead that we can't catch up.

It's not about being a ****, and not really meant to "send a message". I want my friends to score as high as possible, and I want everyone else to score lower than that. So it's not unreasonable within the current PvP mechanics for me to hit people as hard and as often as I can while dumping their points to my friends.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Lmfao, I'm done. Play the game how you want to play the game, but don't try to dump on other people who simply believe that they don't need to hold someone else back to get ahead.
    I think maybe you should read back through the thread and see who exactly is dumping on who.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    I've seen fightmaster rage about losing t5 to snipers and calling them names, so his arguments lose some of their teeth since he complains just the same about getting sniped and losing his precious t5.

The others coming to Narc defense are all from the same ally as well - peej, smokey and fight are all in the same ally, so shocking to see them all argue the same points.

Also they're the same ally that utilizes a line battlechat to coordinate shield hopping and grilling as well, so they can all talk about being "coordinated snipers" but they do the same thing they claim to rage against.

Just stop.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Then tough titty for you that your qs suck.

Wrong, tough titty for you, because you're getting hit.
    Guess what? IT HAPPENS TO EVERYONE that climbs to a certain level. You know what MOST PEOPLE do with friendly alliance Qs? Hold them so that they can help each other out. You know why? So that they can score higher points and not even have to bother worrying about taking away someone else's points and leaving more room for retaliation down the line....

I'm not worried about taking someone else's points. And I don't care about retaliations. Have at it.
    You know what MOST PEOPLE do when they see the SAME person after they already hit them? Hit SOMEONE ELSE.

Like I said, if the same target is still worth the most points, I'll hit again. Shield if you don't like it. I'm not here to help you out.
    Or at the very least try and give them time to make sure they're shielded so THEY don't lose points, and YOU don't leave a retal to lose the points you've been gaining.

It's become clear we are playing a very different game. I WANT them to lose points, see, because at the end of the day we're competing for placement. Do you understand how competition works? I don't want to help you.
    Obviously we all blame D3 for the way the game is set up, but the way the game is setup isnt an excuse to be a **** when MOST PEOPLE who play it decide to use courtesy in light of a game design that's no one's fault. People choose to be courteous because they know how much it would suck if someone did it to them. You think you're the only person who has a life and "doesn't have time", or doesn't want to spend large amounts of HP? I'm sure it must have been sooooo cheap to champ some of those 5-stars.

I don't understand all this **** about being courteous and respectful or whatever. If you're not part of my alliance, I want you to LOSE. Why on earth would I help you?? Or be courteous?? Never seen an own goal in soccer on purpose, because that would be dumb.

I never dumped on anyone? Like I said from the beginning, the goal is to score more points. You play by addition, we play by subtraction. What's the difference and who are you to judge? It's basic math.
  • BoyWonder1914
    There are ~40 people in my BC competing for T5 spots in ~8 brackets. PvP is not an isolated event. We see the same names pop up every week, and so we know who we are in competition with for placement, and they get targeted. Not everyone in the slice has time to play 24/7, or money to spend on 12 shields/event, and so we help each other out by targeting specific threats before they get so far ahead that we can't catch up.

It's not about being a ****, and not really meant to "send a message". I want my friends to score as high as possible, and I want everyone else to score lower than that. So it's not unreasonable within the current PvP mechanics for me to hit people as hard and as often as I can while dumping their points to my friends.

Respect. Strategizing as an alliance to know who your biggest competition is, and optimizing play for everyone who doesn't have the most time is perfectly reasonable. Not saying anything is wrong with that for the record, nor am I saying that you or the OP's alliance are the only ones who do it. My point is simply this: if my alliance wants to "catch up" to someone else like say the XMen, or Olympus, then we simply need to score more points, period. That strategy doesn't have to include intentionally going after THEM in order to be successful. But we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
  • BoyWonder1914
    I've seen fightmaster rage about losing t5 to snipers and calling them names, so his arguments lose some of their teeth since he complains just the same about getting sniped and losing his precious t5.

The others coming to Narc defense are all from the same ally as well - peej, smokey and fight are all in the same ally, so shocking to see them all argue the same points.

Also they're the same ally that utilizes a line battlechat to coordinate shield hopping and grilling as well, so they can all talk about being "coordinated snipers" but they do the same thing they claim to rage against.

Just stop.
    Careful man, don't let them catch you on the playground at recess! icon_lol.gif
This discussion has been closed.