Should there ever be more 1* covers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I really think it was the black widow tourney that made her start to stand out. People was how powerful she was if they levelled her up and decided she needed to be levelled.
  • There should never be more 1* covers. I recently started a new account on my PC, and let me tell you, unless you are buying Standard tokens, it's not easy to get the 1* covers you want, so that you can level up characters you want to.
  • They might introduce a new 1* at some point, but they're for newer players who haven't got a chance to get bored with that lineup before they graduate to 2*.

They should definitely consider making more of the new characters 2* rather than 3*, though, so there's a couple more new characters whom it's easier to get max covers for and change things up for all the people in 2* land.
  • I like the idea of retiring covers, gives a collectors feel to owning a "retired cover".
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    L45TN7 wrote:
    there needs to be more of everything. the game can never have too many characters!

every team i play against pretty much uses the same characters.

Even if they make more characters people are still going to gravitate toward most effective teams... they have characters like DD that no one uses so balance is paramount not just churning out characters.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Roster slots are expensive. Ok I get it. You don't wanna buy the roster slots for 5x 1*. Ok I get that, not everyone is a collector and you don't HAVE to have them all you former poke masters.
    former

Implying I'd ever quit my life's calling.

Jokes aside, I think I would like to see more 1* covers. Diversity for Lone Star tournaments would be nice, definitely. I also think they could implement something like the following:

A new hero is released as a 1* cover. Let's say they have 3 abilities, so they can be maxed out to 13 covers and level 50, just like normal.
    But that's not all! You can "fuse" together that hero's covers in order to get a 2* version of that cover.
    But that's still not all! Fuse the 2* covers together and get a 3* cover!

Craziness! Or is it?
    I think this could be a great way to introduce new heroes in a way that people can very easily "test run" a hero to see if they want to commit to it. I think it also means that the new hero can be useful to players of any tier, and lets people use their favourites - no more will players have to make heart wrenching decisions "This 1* Toad cover really helped me get through the Prologue, but now that I'm taking on events and PvP, I really need someone stronger. Good by forever, Toad, I'm going to sell you off for a roster slot so I can replace you with this 2* Spider-Man cover; it's going to be a big improvement that I could never possibly regret."

OK, so implementing something like this would probably require a lot of covers, and maybe some kind of ISO/HP dump. Turning 1*'s into 3*'s is going to be a lot easier than trying to earn 3*'s outright - not to mention token odds. Here's what I propose:

Fusion requires 2 covers of at least the minimum level of the next level cover (so 1* covers must be leveled to 6, 2*'s to 15).
    Fusion result is a single cover, minimum level, random power.
    Further Possibilities
    Fusion gains some kind of bonus if covers used are power capped/level capped (different bonuses).
    For a small (25) HP cost, power colour is not random.

Something like this was my hope for the Gold Star covers. I guess it could still be retro-actively applied to those heroes. I certainly think that some care would have to be taken in working out higher Star versions of some covers (Juggernaut), so perhaps this sort of star progression would need to be planned for specific covers.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If they add more 1* characters, would people be more comfortable in a more frequent Lone Star tournament? Something in which the payout would be mostly heroics (x2 tops) and ISO or an exclusive pack token with just 2* characters. I can see how such a thing would help with the transition from 1 to 2 star as well as keep a tourney going for new players.
  • 1* tournies would be fine if D3 gave a third ability to all of the 1*s without one and made serious balance changes so that every team isn't Storm/Widow/x.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    Options
    1* Doesn't really need much more. What it does desperately need is character balancing.

Hawkeye needs more damage
    Yelena needs to be entirely remade.
    Jugs needs a third ability with a mechanic to heal back reds self damage(it's way to punishing when you are new and have nothing but packs to heal with since they nerfed spidey levels healing)

And finally bagman needs to be repurposed as a 1 star tank. Giving new planers a trap character as their first 2 star is just bad design

The first 2stars given to players should be Daken, then Thor. With storm and wolvie coming later.
    (Too many players try to switch to 2storm too soon)
  • Tolken wrote:
    1* Doesn't really need much more. What it does desperately need is character balancing.

Jugs needs a third ability with a mechanic to heal back reds self damage(it's way to punishing when you are new and have nothing but packs to heal with since they nerfed spidey levels healing)

And finally bagman needs to be repurposed as a 1 star tank. Giving new planers a trap character as their first 2 star is just bad design

Jugs with a 3rd ability, especially a heal would be totally OP. Especially when he's an enemy scales to lvl 230. I think not. He would be better than many 2*.

Yeah. Bagman needs demoted. Lmao
  • Tolken wrote:

Jugs with a 3rd ability, especially a heal would be totally OP. Especially when he's an enemy scales to lvl 230. I think not. He would be better than many 2*. It could be a long cool down black tile that the AI will destroy/match more often than not.

Yeah. Bagman needs demoted. Lmao

You're thinking as a late player. As a new player since the healing nerf jugs has to sit on the bench too much.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    As an aside, I sometimes wonder when there will be 'too many characters'. With the way the game is structured (where you need 5-10 covers to actually make a character viable) you really endanger yourself in diluting your chances to capture enough covers of a certain hero that you want.

As it stands now though, its already pretty damn hard to get the characters you want maxed out in covers. Im surprised no one has mentioned the fact that 5-10 new 1* characters might make standard recruit tokens a little more fun, since thered be a ton of new covers and characters you could get out of them.

As it stands, I have no idea why standard recruit tokens are given out so much. When I get them pretty much all I see is "oh look 100 Iso-8." Once in a blue moon Ill get an Ares cover that I need since I just started building him. Other then that I cant recall the last time I actually got a 2* cover (Purple Magneto Now and Purple Daken are the only ones I still need) from a standard recruit token that I actually needed.

So yeah, bring on the slew of 1*s
  • They need to have 1-star versions of fantastic 4, x-men, and avengers as well as the more notorious villains. They ought to have simple powers that cover the basics of the various types of tiles and abilities in the game.