Forum Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    KGB wrote:
    Sorry maybe I didn't understand what you meant by 'new players'. I understood it to mean players just starting the game right now.

Yes, that's what a 'new' player is.

Man, I am not understanding the mental block some of the respondents to this thread are having. Again, YES, established players can afford slots as they needs them (so long as they aren't burning too much HP on boosts/shields/tokens). And that's great.

But the point of this thread is that for new players, the amount of catchup they have to do is constantly increasing, and has been increasing. And currently the cost of rostering all characters is up to 80,675 HP. Less if they pass on some characters, sure. But eventually, to be competitive, a players will need to roster most characters. And whether they do it all at once (new player plays prologue and immediately buys 120 slots, haha), or over the course of a year (or two ... or three ...), they'll have to come up with that sum, in addition to the ongoing requirements of new releases.

I'm up to slot #120. Didn't seem so bad .... over the course of 960 days. But I grew as the game grew. Should new players who decide to go all in on MPQ be satisfied with taking 960 days from now to catch up?
    archmag wrote:
    I don't see a problem. We also did not have any of that when we started. If they aspire to reaching the endgame why should not they pass through the same experience as we did?

Because they quite literally can't have the same experience "we" did. (I don't know when you started so I'm throwing the "we" in quotes.)

When I started, there were a couple dozen characters in game. So I had to build up a couple dozen slots. Acquiring new characters was a rare experience after the first week or so. There were only seven 1*s, twelve 2*s, nine 3*s, and two 4*s. 30 characters total. Acquiring a new character by pulling a token was a rare and momentous event.

Rosters grew by new releases. Playing the game and maybe an occasional small purchase were all it took to catch up and keep up.

Now, players have the opportunity to earn far more iso and yes even more hp than way back when. However, when first starting out now, almost every token pull is something new to roster. There are 63 characters in standards, 55 in elites, and 95 in heroics!

Saying a new player can hoard tokens or just burn the covers is easy to say, but it's ultimately just a delaying tactic. At some point, they have to come up with as many as 120 "extra" slots to catch up, in addition to new releases.

How the heck is that "having the same experience we had"? We were relatively eased into this, the earlier you started the easier it was. Even if slots were significantly discounted, new players would still be facing a big chunk of catchup to swallow, whether they take nibbles or one big, choking gulp.

If the point is for someone to catch up overnight and have everything they should pay for the HP to do it. If you can't enjoy the game unless you have everything that is your problem. The only thing to this game is characters and if you are just given everything there is no point in even playing. Besides, if they can roster everyone quickly then they will still be selling covers left and right because they won't have the iso to level anyone? Or are we supposed to give them unlimited iso because they are new and need to catch up super fast.

Or they can play the game right and enjoy the ride.

There are bigger problems for new players. There is no guidance on how to do things right. I play in a casual alliance, and it's amazing how many new players are rosters 5* characters before they even have all of the 2*'s. Stuff like that is why they stop playing, because they don't get why suddenly everything is too difficult to play.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    Wow. This is definitely a fascinating conversation, with quite the back and forth of opinions. Thanks for creating this analysis post!

I hope you don't mind aesthetocyst, but I think this discussion would really help the developers get a better idea of roster slot cost and its impact on character progression, so I plan on including it in this week's report to them.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,974 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Man, I am not understanding the mental block some of the respondents to this thread are having. Again, YES, established players can afford slots as they needs them (so long as they aren't burning too much HP on boosts/shields/tokens). And that's great.

But the point of this thread is that for new players, the amount of catchup they have to do is constantly increasing, and has been increasing. And currently the cost of rostering all characters is up to 80,675 HP. Less if they pass on some characters, sure. But eventually, to be competitive, a players will need to roster most characters. And whether they do it all at once (new player plays prologue and immediately buys 120 slots, haha), or over the course of a year (or two ... or three ...), they'll have to come up with that sum, in addition to the ongoing requirements of new releases.

I'm up to slot #120. Didn't seem so bad .... over the course of 960 days. But I grew as the game grew. Should new players who decide to go all in on MPQ be satisfied with taking 960 days from now to catch up?

Maybe I don't know what I don't know. I need 40K worth of HP to roster the 40 or so characters I don't have so I'm only half way there HP wise and yet I don't feel like I am missing out on anything. Sure, I'd love to have 40 more characters on my roster but the reality is they'd all be there with only 1-2 covers (minus the 1* which I could obviously cover). How exactly is a bunch of useless 4* characters going to make any difference especially when the ones I don't have rostered are the bottom tier anyway (both 3 and 4* I am not rostering the bottom 10)?

As far as competitive goes, I assume you mean for top PvP prizes (ie 600+ points) because I regularly reach the 575 CP prize then get knocked down because I don't care about where I finish. I'm definitely competitive in PvE where I can reach T10 in any event where I have all 3 essentials. Also remember if your not buying shields you can devote 100% of your HP to roster slots. Since the only players who should be buying shields are 4* players who can reach 800+ points in PvP then it means less places to spend those HPs (esp since command points now used to buy covers).

The bigger problem for new players BY FAR is the diluted 4* class. 3* isn't bad with Elite tokens and DDQ and deeper prize pools awarding 3* but trying to get into the 4* tier is almost impossible with 40+ characters so that even opening 100 Lt's will only net you 2 covers on average. Given you need 7+ covers to have a viable character that's an insane amount of tokens required.
    There are bigger problems for new players. There is no guidance on how to do things right. I play in a casual alliance, and it's amazing how many new players are rosters 5* characters before they even have all of the 2*'s. Stuff like that is why they stop playing, because they don't get why suddenly everything is too difficult to play.

Exactly. This could be solved easily by changing LT's so that there is no chance of a 5* pull until you have at least 1 champed character on your roster. Prior to that the LT would only award a 4* along with a warning that you can't get a 5* until you champ a character.

KGB
  • Pope Belligerent
    Pope Belligerent Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    Bottom line for me: as long as there are required character nodes in PvE, the roster slots for those characters should be within reach. And with new characters being added every 2 weeks (the majority of them being 4*s, which qualify for required nodes) the ramping up of roster slot costs needs to be seriously reworked.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Agree with OP.

I have a very well established 'main' account (wasn't here from day 1, but remember a time when 3* Thor was a powerhouse and Hulk was a deterrent ( icon_lol.gif )). My main account has absolutely no trouble getting HP for roster slots. In order to gain HP, I can:

* Reach all HP targets in PvP
    * Progress through all PvE rewards, as my roster is expansive / highly levelled enough to deal with essentials and health pack drains
    * Play enough each day with aforementioned expansive roster to get all the ad rewards, which potentially give HP
    * Reach all the HP in season rewards if I really care to
    * Reach all the HP in Shield
    * Farm through 2*s like there's no tomorrow
    * Whatever else I'm forgetting, I can do it. The only limitation I have is my own laziness.

Then, a few months ago, I created a new account. Just for lulz, because gosh darn if this game isn't so much fun I needed to double my time spent on it.

I gave up about (no, wait, let's get the exact number...) - I gave up exactly 16 characters in, with 200 HP in store. The next set of roster slots is 500 HP for 3. And I literally gave up because I could not be bothered trying to save that HP. The HP gain for new players is almost non-existent.

Now imagine you're a (genuine) new player. You want to play! Woo! Marvel, comics, aces! And hey, lookit all those tokens! They're raining from the sky! But... wait. These tokens are, effectively, useless. As a starting player, you don't actually /want/ to open anything, because you simply cannot afford to roster them. Are you going to be freemium'd into buying HP all the time? Sure. Once or twice, probably. But there'll soon be a point where you get pretty dejected by the fact that you either can't afford to roster your new characters, or you shouldn't bother opening tokens.

And (minus the dejected feeling, because I was fully expecting that point to come) that is where I gave up as a 'new' player. 16 slots in was as far as I could be bothered to go.

Now, sure, part of this is because I have an established roster, and I'm used to just buying slots when I want, and I don't have to worry about new releases, and damnit, I did my time at the beginning and kids today don't know how lucky they are. But part of it really was just a feeling of 'what's the point playing when I can't do anything with what I win?'.

This is not the same game at the start anymore as it once was. New players are facing an insane uphill battle. Roster slot costs should absolutely be eased up on, if nothing else. Can you imagine being asked for 3000 HP for 3 roster slots in a bundle, as an established player? The forum would be in uproar. Yet, arguably, that would be significantly easier for 'us' to save for, than the 500 HP my new account requires for the same 3 slots.

And, yes, I get it. Freemium. Let's get the small change expenses at the start from as many people as possible. Maybe that's working out well for them. Hell if I know. But I do know that the roster slot cost as a new player was my sole reason for not bothering to continue with a second account. Not a diluted 4* tier, not the possibility of drawing a 5* I don't need, not having a tough time in PVP, not... anything else. Roster slots was it.

If other new players feel similarly, that really can't be good for the game.

EDIT: But, for what it's worth, I think yeah... 1000 HP is nothing, for established players these days. Which is probably why there's no whining about it anymore on the forums. We're living in times of luxury. icon_e_wink.gif
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I definitely agree that while 1000 HP for a roster slot is very reasonable for everyone who already has basically every character (I'm at 110 so there's 4 characters that I don't have rostered, not counting the 7 1*s I'll never look at again), its insane to expect newer players to wait their own 800 days to get to this point. At the current release rate there'll be another ~60 characters in the game by then, so they'll be looking at another 60,000 HP to roster them all, and by then they'll have released another 20 characters, and etc...

Lowering (and top-loading) the cost of earlier roster slots, as Aes demonstrates above, is an easy way to help new players "keep up" with the steady release of new characters while maintaining the (modest) cost of rostering new releases for the invested vets. 4*s might still be a long way away but at least if you actually get one you'll have a shot of keeping it around without crippling the roster you've already got by delaying a new 2* or 3* slot by months or more

Hear, hear.
  • whycantwesyncpc
    whycantwesyncpc Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If the point is for someone to catch up overnight and have everything they should pay for the HP to do it. If you can't enjoy the game unless you have everything that is your problem. The only thing to this game is characters and if you are just given everything there is no point in even playing. Besides, if they can roster everyone quickly then they will still be selling covers left and right because they won't have the iso to level anyone? Or are we supposed to give them unlimited iso because they are new and need to catch up super fast.

Or they can play the game right and enjoy the ride.

I see the Defenders of the Status Quo of Ever-Escalating Total Costs have now retrenched to false dichotomies.

There are not two extremes here, between carrying on as-is on one hand, and giving everything away for free on the other.

Nor are there only two types of players, those willing to grind away endlessly within narrow constraints, trying to chase constantly retreating goals, and those demanding everything right now.

The game continues to grow. As it offers more, it demands more. As players need more and more slots, slots themselves become less rare, less precious. It's a digital good, spun from ether. Nothing other than dev fiat and consent of the players supports the prices.

I suggested in a post above that the toal costs of slots 0-120 be cut ~37.5%, from 80K allllll the way down to a 'mere' 50K. How long does it take you to earn 50K HP? We all know what the store has to say about that. Not exactly "giving it away".

And what you say about iso is hilarious icon_lol.gif New players don't need iso. Why not? BECAUSE THEY CAN'T ROSTER CHARACTERS icon_lol.gif New players got nothing to spend iso on, because they can't acquire slots fast enough to avoid burning covers.

Humorously, a friend of mine that plays this game casually mentioned this last night out of the blue. "You know that game? It's ridiculous. I have 200,000 iso and more all the time. Can't keep up with slots."

Of course 200,000 iso will not go far. But there needs to be a balance between supply and demand. And the relationship of iso available to acquisition of slots is out of balance.

You might say, "well screw them pony up" ... but why should they? By the time a play has 50 slots, spending $20 while afford them a whopping THREE slots ... and they know they haven't even rostered half the characters in game yet. Pay 20 bucks for 3 slots and still have 67 more to go??? Or 100 bucks for 20 slots??? Sane people look at that and say, "Nope". If not long before (see Lystrata, above). They aren't getting much for their money.

Of course they could choose to spend their way out, and play their way out, but it's a very high bar.

The thing is that I am a very casual player. Don't waste HP and with the changes they have made, it is quite easy to get slots even once you get to 1000 per. If the problem is that it's $20 for 3 slots then the problem is with their pricing. Guess what? Don't buy it. Or only buy when their is a sale. Like I said, spend money if they only way you can enjoy the game is to have everything immediately. By the time they get to 50 slots they should have enough rostered to need iso. Otherwise play the game and enjoy it for being the game. Don't want to buy slots and you are losing covers? Don't redeem tokens if you don't have a slot for a new character. Just because one person has extra iso and not enough roster spots doesn't mean the game has to become a giveaway. He'll need that iso soon enough.

Besides, the quicker everyone rosters everything the sooner they will be whining about how the game is only about a handful of 5* and the other stupid stuff. Enjoy the journey, if everything comes too quick and easy the sooner you will get bored with the game.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Otherwise play the game and enjoy it for being the game. Don't want to buy slots and you are losing covers? Don't redeem tokens if you don't have a slot for a new character.

This is a pretty ignorant comment. And I don't actually mean that to be insulting. Before I started my 'new' account, I'd have happily said the same thing. The thing is, though, you can't play the game for more than about half an hour as a starting player.

The main problem now goes thusly:

One: Back in the day, roster slots were not a huge issue because you were going to pull from a very limited pool of characters. Chances were, you would easily get duplicates of characters. Which in turn, could be levelled up. Due to said duplicates. It was not difficult to get decent, functioning characters in a short space of time. Which helped with events. Which helped with HP. For your very, very limited number of characters.

Two: These days, the pool of characters is crazy vast for a starting player. The chances of pulling duplicate covers is tiny. Everyone I'm going up against in my new account has a small to medium (to occasionally large) range of 3*s with one or two covers. Three at most (and that's super rare).

Three: A one-cover 3* is giving you roughly 1.5k - 3k health. This is nothing. I burnt through my whole roster earlier today in about half an hour. Including health packs.

Three and a half: This might be fine for casual players, and maybe, as a casual player yourself, you don't see a problem here. Personally, if I could only play half an hour on my main account... I wouldn't.

Four: You can't level anyone up, because you rarely get duplicate covers for the same character. The only solution to this, is to open your tokens and pray you get a duplicate. But chances are, you don't. So you get yet another character you can't roster. Because of HP. And because you can't at least roster them, to have one more cover to burn through... you can't play.

In a nutshell:

Want to play -> roster dies -> open tokens to try and get covers to level up at least one 3* -> only keep opening new characters -> can't roster due to HP drought -> can't play unless either rostering a heap of one-cover 3*s to burn through, or manage to get a 3* with a decent cover coverage -> but usually don't get duplicates, because of vast pool -> but can only very infrequently roster a new character because of HP costs -> which ... etc.

"Just play the game for the game" is not good advice for today's starting player. It's simply unrealistic at this point. The sheer number of characters makes this so. Which is awesome for established players, but unbelievably unfair/unfun for new players.

I'm not saying go crazy and just give slots away, but geez... cut the newbies some slack. They are absolutely facing a different starting game than most of 'us' did, and the game should change to reflect the changing needs - and, more importantly, the changed situation - of the starting player.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't want to buy slots and you are losing covers? Don't redeem tokens if you don't have a slot for a new character.

This is not a complete "solution" as covers are often given away as rewards. It's fine for players with most characters who have a workable roster already but it's very frustrating as a newer player to be stuck in the Catch-22 of needing a better roster to win the HP to... get a better roster.
  • Teskal
    Teskal Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It helps not to open tokens if you have a non-duplicate character in your waiting queue. Best is to have 4-5 days between those covers. Depending how fast you get HP normally.

In the moment I'm bringing all 2* to lvl144 (exception Bagman) and starting the transition into 3*.

I do not open any legendary covers in the moment. Or use any Command Points.

I sell all 4* I can't use in the moment. Only 4* in my Roster are Medusa and Peggy Carter.
    I sold already Ant-Man, Wolverine, Invis.Girl, Elektra, Nick Fury, Spider-Gwen. It was hard, but necessary. Same with several 3* covers. And I sold all 1* out of my roster, but one (Iron Man, I know some prefer Juggs.)

I add 4* only if I can use them in PVE.
    Invis.Girl lateley for example, even if I used her only in one subchapter.

I had 90k iso-8 and spent 60k or more on gray tokens and got many 2* to make champs out of them. In the end it was totally worth it. I'm still doing it every few days and maybe stop soon completely, because the 3* start wanting the iso-8.

Champ ALL 2*. All bring HP to add space to your roster. Ok, not bagman, you get him only in PVP. I want to champ him, but only if I can make space for him.

Many do not like *2 Cap Amerika, but he works good against passive enemies. My biggest problem is still to find interesting team combinations.

I plan to Champ ALL 3*, same reason again, to get HP and other stuff. Some dump characters will give interesting 4* characters.