Forum Thread

Options

Comments

• mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Seriously. You don't have to get every character rostered, just the ones you like. Roster spot costs are fine as they are even for new players.
  • NoUpside
    NoUpside Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I got two co-workers into this game a week before the most recent Anniversary.

Having me being able to guide them helped, a lot. Knowing in the interim stages who's worth rostering, trying to champ the 2*s, etc. They were EXTREMELY active in our alliance, and reeked the rewards, but, doing that burnt one out and the other is teetering. Even with the help of the (I think) 2400 HP in the Anniversary vault, the burnt out one had all the roster spots he needed, kept his roster scaled correctly etc. But he got into Iso hell, and eventually just left. The other still plays now, and since then is stalled out at 34 roster spots.

Now, I know that if I took either account I could make it work and within a couple of months have it steam rolling, but the fact that they're having some of those issues WITH my guidance gives me concern for newer players. Making it easier to get to that essential 2-3* phase, and not have to force their hand for roster spots. It shouldn't be easy, but it also shouldn't be a mountain every time for them. They aren't/weren't even at 1000HP per slot like I am.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have only one 1* and still, i have 130 slots taken. Its better for me to roster duplicates of 4*s/5*s than selling them for few ISO icon_e_biggrin.gif
    1K for slot is absolutely fine. You are comparing now and before... cool, do the same with HP income - mention championing/promoting/selling maxed champs part especially.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It doesn't effect ME so it clearly is fine.

-Every-thread and discussion here.

This is really all that approached the topic at all.
    Calnexin wrote:
    So it's a matter of keeping the up-and-comers on board, right?

Yes, exactly.

There's already several responses along the lines of "Everything's fine, cause I got mine." That doesn't work for new players. The game needs new players. Presenting them with immediate sicker shock and Sisyphean tasks is not a great way to encourage conversion.

Also, as I just noted in the OP, the cost to slot all characters has more than doubled over the past 18mos.

Yes, established players can keep up, thanks to champs, higher SCLs, intercepts (if you get them ....), and placing highly. Great for us. and fine for the game, as we are the players most likely to spend in other ways.

But new players ...
      • ... don't have 2* farms • ... don't have 3* champs • ... aren't playing in higher SCLs. • ... and need to buy slots far more frequently than vets, if they aspire to reaching the endgame.

With so many characters in tokens and in reward rotations, new players might need multiple slots per week (soemtimes per day! ) for quite some time. It's great that vets only need 1 every 2 weeks or so. Not the case for new players.

They are probably getting a trickle of HP from intercepts, and dribbles from daily resupply. The cost per slot is significant long before a player even has half the characters rostered,

Bottom line ... this hasn't been adjusted in 18mos, the number of characters has doubled. It's time to make a tweak.
    Calnexin wrote:
    Increasing past 1k is an option...

The hell it is icon_lol.gif

Prior to July 2015, slot costs continued to increase, following the same pattern, beyond slot 77. A big part of the outcry back then over slot costs was that the new slot for each new release was getting increasingly expensive ... and this was back when only whales and ancient vets were paying 1000 per or even close. It was common for players to gripe about being "up to 750" or 800, 850, 900, etc. And we could all see the increasingly expensive future rushing up to greet us.

I don't have the old slot costs handy (shame on me), but I want to say it used to follow the same pattern of increasing 50hp every 4 until it hit 1500 as slot 120.

How would we feel if we were all paying 1500 HP/slot now? Even with all the "extra" HP we 1%ers say we're getting now?

From 121 on (again, IIRC), the cost went up 100hp per slot, all the way to 182, which was 7700HP*.

Of course that was silly, but this was at a time when anyone who had that many slots was also being silly.

But now, having so many slots is no longer silly, with 120 characters in game, and farming at all levels becoming necessary to continue progressing at high levels.

The everything fine cause i got mine is rampant on these forums for everything not related to 5 stars to be honest.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,045 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    why keep posting this the cost will never come down.. those who paid 1000 would demand a refund
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ever since Shield Clearance levels was released my HP inflow has gone up dramatically. Once you hit SCL-5 (fairly easy for new comers to do) you can get 100 HP a day for a top finish in PvE sub event. Prior to that you were getting far less HP.

If you join a PvE event a day after it starts it's quite easy to get a top 20 finish in the daily and clean up a whole lot of HP if you need roster slots. I've gathered a few thousand HP in a short time and been able to add 10-15 characters to my roster.

In other words I no longer find HP to be a limiting factor thanks to SCL.

As for covers expiring, anyone who is VIP should no longer have any covers expire. That would make VIP worth buying for a lot more people and increase the revenue for the game.

KGB
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm good now, but it hasn't been long for me. I didn't roster all 2s, I only kept 3 for dpd even after champing started. When they raised the sell price of 2s is when I started rostering all the 2s. Doing that took a couple months, and that was with 3* champ rewards. It meant the 4 or 5 new characters released during that time were not rostered so I could focus on my 2s. Without spending money on the game, roster slots are very expensive. Even if roster slots at my amount stayed at 1k and I got no refund, I think lowering the cost of slots would be appropriate. It would help new players.
  • Pope Belligerent
    Pope Belligerent Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    KGB wrote:
    Ever since Shield Clearance levels was released my HP inflow has gone up dramatically. Once you hit SCL-5 (fairly easy for new comers to do) you can get 100 HP a day for a top finish in PvE sub event. Prior to that you were getting far less HP.

If you join a PvE event a day after it starts it's quite easy to get a top 20 finish in the daily and clean up a whole lot of HP if you need roster slots. I've gathered a few thousand HP in a short time and been able to add 10-15 characters to my roster.

As for covers expiring, anyone who is VIP should no longer have any covers expire. That would make VIP worth buying for a lot more people and increase the revenue for the game.

KGB

It's easy, you just have to finish in the top 20 in every event!

You uh...you know that by definition only a small subset of players can finish in the top 20 in any given event, right?
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's top 50 for the 100 HP by the time you reach SCL7, and you can enter SCL7 fairly early, IIRC.
  • KGB
    Options
    KGB wrote:

KGB

It's easy, you just have to finish in the top 20 in every event!

You uh...you know that by definition only a small subset of players can finish in the top 20 in any given event, right?

Except that SCL levels created MORE people finishing in the top 20 (or 50 or 100) because there are now more brackets. Prior to SCL the only dividers were the 5 time slices. Now there are 5 time slices AND those slices each have 8 SCL brackets so there are more people getting top rewards.

Also SCL levels increased the HP rewards too so that in SCL 6+ you get 100 HP for a T100 finish in a sub. Prior to SCL I think it was only 50 hp so you need fewer finishes to acquire the same number of HP.

The point is that SCL increased the amount of HP in the game so you can roster more characters.

KGB
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,045 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    slidecage wrote:
    [W]hy keep posting this ...

There has not been a thread specifically concerning roster slot costs in a year.
    slidecage wrote:
    ... the cost will never come down.

The costs of roster slots has been reduced at least twice. That's called 'precedent'. See the OP of this thread. Y'know, what you read before posting.
    slidecage wrote:
    [T]hose who paid 1000 would demand a refund.

That would be silly. Also, the same silly naysaying has been alleged in regards to the lowering of any in-game cost throughout this game's history, and probably every other ongoing game that involved transactions. Alliance slot costs were eliminated (and refunded), leveling costs were lowered (long after many players have leveled many of the affected characters), iso in store offerings increased (9mos into the game's history, presumably some iso had sold during that time), and yes, slot costs were lowered on the low end, and capped beyond slot #80, at a time when many players had already paid >1000hp / slot.

Thanks for bumping icon_e_biggrin.gif

there are tons more playing now then when the game was 9 months and i think they gave refund since they were so little... there would be so many now it would be a major mess.. there is no reason to drop the price either you can easy make 2000 HP a month for free what pays for your slots

hell i got 123 slots now with 2 open and have ever 33,000 hp

if your not making at least 1200 a month free then your not playing and why should you be reward cheaper slots to those who are playing

50 to 100 Hp PVP placement (only need 400 to get 50) get into a top 500 group what is easy 50 that is 300 + per week
    Jump into a late PVE and hit at least 1 or 2 top 50 200 per week

right there is your 2000 per month and that dont even take effect of daily items and pve placement rewards

i used to make around 3000 to 4000 a month free when i really played i can now easy make 1200 just doing pvp a month
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I'm still a fan not only of giving a free slot for every new character, but putting those characters at 1/1/1 on every roster.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: it boggles my mind that every player doesn't receive at least one cover of a new character (maybe excepting 5*s) when they are released. If your goal is to get people to spend money on HP packs.... why aren't you giving everyone a reason to do so??????? I think this is a terrible, shortsighted business decision.
  • DaveR4470
    Options
    I actually was thinking about this just the other day. (Great minds, and all that.) Personally, I think a 1k cap is fine. What needs to be done is stretching out the growth from 0-1k along the line, so that 2* players aren't being hit with oppressive roster costs at a point where they can't earn those HP.

Which, of course, will trigger a round of moaning about compensation and unfairness to existing players and so forth, but that's like the sun rising in the east at this point.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is it time to resurrect my suggestion that we get a free roster slot with every second character release?
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    Roster Slots should be in Taco Vaults.

I've been telling them that for over a year, now.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I played Spider-Man Unlimited for about a year when it launched. The cost of roster slots kept coming up, especially for new releases, and you know what the devs did? In any new release event one of the progression rewards was a free roster slot.

Imagine, guys. Just imagine...
  • DaveR4470
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:

Given that there's a 1000 HP reward, isn't there already one in the vaults?
  • KGB
    Options
    Small amounts here and there, yes. Definitely made the scraping together 1000hp here and there for new releases more manageable, yes.

But help new players much? Not so much. If they want to be competitive in this game that strongly "encourages" the rostering of all characters, they have to not only roster those new releases as they come along (once they are to the level of winning them), but they also have to find roster space for EVERY characters already in game. 120+ now. And the bar gets higher all the time.

Sorry maybe I didn't understand what you meant by 'new players'. I understood it to mean players just starting the game right now. They need something like 55 roster spots to roster all 2&3* characters and Juggs (for DDQ). The cost at that point is still only 700 (per your chart) per slot.

To me a new player is someone up to the 3* level. Once you start earnestly rostering 4&5* characters you transition into what I would call a veteran or dedicated player (someone who isn't leaving the game). By the time you've rostered all the 3* your either hooked or not. At that point you either grind out progressively more expensive slots or pay $ to get a bunch at once.

So what definition of 'new player' are you using here? Are you saying someone like me who is working through the 4* transition and trying to roster all the 4* is a new player because I only have 82 characters rostered and my costs are now 1000 per? If so, as I've said, since SCL came out along with shield intercepts my HP acquisition rate has gone WAY up to the point I rostering characters faster than I ever did before (yes, I am picky and wont roster Riri even though I am getting her covers because I can always roster her at some future date).

KGB
  • archmag
    archmag Posts: 25
    Options
    But new players ...
      • ... don't have 2* farms • ... don't have 3* champs • ... aren't playing in higher SCLs. • ... and need to buy slots far more frequently than vets, if they aspire to reaching the endgame.
    I don't see a problem. We also did not have any of that when we started. If they aspire to reaching the endgame why should not they pass through the same experience as we did? They have more choices and more sources of income so it should be easier for them anyway.
    With so many characters in tokens and in reward rotations, new players might need multiple slots per week (soemtimes per day! ) for quite some time. It's great that vets only need 1 every 2 weeks or so. Not the case for new players.
    Not NEED, but WANT. If you have 5 new characters in your queue, you don't need 5 slots for them, you want 5 slots to be able to keep them. They should choose whichever characters they prefer and just sell the rest. They will get them again later, amount of covers coming from different sources is crazy now.

Due to scaling depending on your roster it also does not make much difference for rewards if you have only all your 2* teams or if you have several 4* championed. People with 2* rosters can compete in pve against 4* rosters and they have it much easier. They are locked out of some essential nodes but even without them they can get into top 100 or just collect all progression reward. You do need advanced roster to compete in pvp, but that usually requires focus on just few top tier characters that are actually useful so doesn't require a lot of slots.

Also if they were able to collect everything and roster it they would have to sell same covers later when they run out of iso-8 to champion the characters. So there is no much difference if you sell covers earlier or later. Personally I am at the stage when I always have 6 max covered 4* that are not champed, while I gather Iso-8 to champ one of them I have to sell at least 2 covers for the other 5 and another 4* character becomes max covered at the same time. It's been like this for at least 4 months.

Anyway, I think that HP and roster slot situation is ok as it is now. Deciding on who to keep and who to sell if you can't roster him is part of the game. It creates a need to compete for HP and that is a good thing.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:

You mean like this?

dfsdfs_1.jpg

Proposed 8/14/15: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32157