Why worry about attaining 5-stars?

13»

Comments

• keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. I've leveled my 11-cover black bolt to 420 and the PvE content is trivial, maxing out at ~lvl 377-ish? I've never seen a 70k HP Jugg, most I've ever seen is in the 30k. PvP is a little more challenging, but not really. Ice-man or Spider Gwen hold people down just fine, and Black Bolt's ambient dmg + charged tiles make sure I have what I need.

I don't regret leveling my 5*'s one bit.

To me, the issue with the game is the way PvP is handled (AI is really, really dumb, and stuns are too good), and the repetitive nature of PvE (Why do i have to play the same board 4 to 6 times a day in a race against everyone else doing that?!)
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    keitterman wrote:
    I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. I've leveled my 11-cover black bolt to 420 and the PvE content is trivial, maxing out at ~lvl 377-ish? I've never seen a 70k HP Jugg, most I've ever seen is in the 30k. PvP is a little more challenging, but not really. Ice-man or Spider Gwen hold people down just fine, and Black Bolt's ambient dmg + charged tiles make sure I have what I need.

I don't regret leveling my 5*'s one bit.

To me, the issue with the game is the way PvP is handled (AI is really, really dumb, and stuns are too good), and the repetitive nature of PvE (Why do i have to play the same board 4 to 6 times a day in a race against everyone else doing that?!)

Did you level him after starting the event? The scaling takes effect from next event that you levelled.
  • keitterman
    Pongie wrote:
    Did you level him after starting the event? The scaling takes effect from next event that you leveled.
    No I leveled him to 420 mid December.

I just confirmed
    In the Rocket & Groot event, the max standard pin is lvl 359 (after six clears)
    In the Rocket & Groot event, the max Prof X pin is lvl 344
    In the Oscorp: Heroic event, the max Invisible Woman pin is 344. This event includes Juggernaut with 36,792 hp
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    As others have mentioned before, you can level one 5* without it really ruining scaling for you. And BB in particular is so good in PvE that his benefit will far outweigh any uptick in scaling. It's once you bring another 5* or god-forbid two other 5* up to that level do you start to see insane scaling. I've got a champed PHX and 435 OML. My scaling isn't even that close to some of these guys, yet it's still big enough that I basically have to bring both of them to every fight or I run the risk of wiping (or just taking forever to get through all that health it's not competitive at all). With the right boosted 4* (rulk, ice, 4hor), I can get away with bringing just one with an extra support toon to feed ap to the boosted 4*, but those are rare occasions for the most part.
  • keitterman
    mohio wrote:
    As others have mentioned before, you can level one 5* without it really ruining scaling for you. And BB in particular is so good in PvE that his benefit will far outweigh any uptick in scaling. It's once you bring another 5* or god-forbid two other 5* up to that level do you start to see insane scaling. I've got a champed PHX and 435 OML. My scaling isn't even that close to some of these guys, yet it's still big enough that I basically have to bring both of them to every fight or I run the risk of wiping (or just taking forever to get through all that health it's not competitive at all). With the right boosted 4* (rulk, ice, 4hor), I can get away with bringing just one with an extra support toon to feed ap to the boosted 4*, but those are rare occasions for the most part.
    Oh, well, I still think the problem isn't scaling, it's just a poorly designed PvE structure. If they let players pick the level the wanted to clear the nodes at and awarded points for highest clear level, it could eliminate redundancy as well as not punishing people for leveling their champs. Just IMO though, I haven't published a game with a million downloads, so what do I know lol.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    keitterman wrote:
    a million downloads

*psst*
    That's due to the license.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    I dunno what to call my category. I actually want to move into 5* land because I'm PVP-focused - I run PVE but it's just for ISO, I only shoot for placement on new releases.

I can't, though, because I've always pulled classics and I'm stuck with a handful of almost-covered characters and a whole bunch with 4-6 covers. I've got a 3/5/4 OML, a 5/4/2 Phoenix, and a 5/1/5 Black Suit. Logan would probably be somewhat competitive, but leveling a single 5* is a mistake from what I've heard.

So my options are:

- Keep pulling classics and pray I get the right covers (incredibly unlikely especially for Black Suit)
    - Just give up and switch to Latest
    - Save up 2880 CP to finish Phoenix and Black Suit, and wait for OML black on day 800

Ugh.
    One fivestar at level 350 or below won't significantly affect your scaling, it's when you go above that or level up a second fivestar that things turn sour. You can probably level OML up a bit as long as you are fine using him in most of your matches (and with 5 yellow that shouldn't be a problem).
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:
    I dunno what to call my category. I actually want to move into 5* land because I'm PVP-focused - I run PVE but it's just for ISO, I only shoot for placement on new releases.

I can't, though, because I've always pulled classics and I'm stuck with a handful of almost-covered characters and a whole bunch with 4-6 covers. I've got a 3/5/4 OML, a 5/4/2 Phoenix, and a 5/1/5 Black Suit. Logan would probably be somewhat competitive, but leveling a single 5* is a mistake from what I've heard.

So my options are:

- Keep pulling classics and pray I get the right covers (incredibly unlikely especially for Black Suit)
    - Just give up and switch to Latest
    - Save up 2880 CP to finish Phoenix and Black Suit, and wait for OML black on day 800

Ugh.
    One fivestar at level 350 or below won't significantly affect your scaling, it's when you go above that or level up a second fivestar that things turn sour. You can probably level OML up a bit as long as you are fine using him in most of your matches (and with 5 yellow that shouldn't be a problem).

You can level ALL of them to 360, in the end this is the level of your buffed 4s. The problems start when you level them past 360. Usually you can level 1 of them to 390 or even a bit more but depending on the time slice and particular event you might start to see champed 5s, so the 360 level is much much safer... at least for now.

The three 5s you mention will be quite usable at level 360. Specially a team of OML + Spidey or PH+Spidey might be quite good against under leveled OMLs if Devs decide to fix his purple...
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    I have 12 5*'s rostered with 6 of them at a usable level (at least 1 cover of each color). I have put some ISO in to level them up but not more than one level above my highest 4*. That way, my scaling isn't terrible, I get quite a few nodes that are a challenge, and can still use the majority of my roster.
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    This change is pretty much two years late or how ever long 5s have been going.

Before 5 stars where released this would of been great maybe, but yea, now for a 5* player no thanks.