Why worry about attaining 5-stars?

Comments

• PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie wrote:
    Akari wrote:
    I'm in 4* land, and still sell every 5* cover other than OML. I have zero desire to get into 5* land and 5* scaling as I enjoy this game and do not want it spoiling by having it locked down to only 5* characters.
    You do realize that you can roster and cover your 5*, and your scaling won't change until you actually level them, right? It's a huge waste to sell them off...
    Unless he also softcapped the 4*s way below 255.

That's what I've been doing - keeping 5*, but not putting any ISO into them. 4* I keep at 212 (except Hulkbuster, whom I drunkenly leveled to 230 one night), which makes them 301 boosted, which is pretty respectable. In general the teams with 5* I face have 1-4 covers at most, and I am mainly facing max 3* teams, a handful of high-level (rarely champed) 4*, and occasionally even a max 2* in the mix. My max nodes in PvE are usually in the 120-220 range, depending on the event. It seems to be a pretty good balance right now.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Pongie wrote:
    Akari wrote:
    I'm in 4* land, and still sell every 5* cover other than OML. I have zero desire to get into 5* land and 5* scaling as I enjoy this game and do not want it spoiling by having it locked down to only 5* characters.

You do realize that you can roster and cover your 5*, and your scaling won't change until you actually level them, right? It's a huge waste to sell them off...

So far below 255 that his 3* are capped there as well. A 3* above 180 or so boosts above a non-leveled 5*, and the scaling takes into effect your highest boosted characters. If you've gotten to the point where you're champing 3*, then there's no good reason to be selling 5* covers.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    The 5* tier is similar to the other tiers in that if you jump in with 1 or 2 characters from that tier your game kinda sucks until you add more. But it's especially bad for 5* players for several reasons.....

- 5* MMR is garbage. You get stuck with the same 5 targets from 0-800 most events. Then when you finally hit 800 and moreso at 1k you start to see 3* and 4* teams.....WITH HIGHER SCORES! And you are out of health packs because you've been getting chewed up by 5* match damage for the past hour. Ugh.
    - 5* PvE scaling is garbage. I regularly see 70k HP Juggs, and 60k Moonstone. Sure I do 1800/match, and maybe 10k/ability but it still just takes forever.
    - My 5*s never get boosted. A boosted 4* has abilities that scale up massively when boosted and drastically outperform 5*s in damage/AP - none of these advantages exist in 5* PvE.
    - You don't really get to pick your 5* specialty. Back in the day you could max IMHB if you wanted to crush PvP or JG if you wanted to crush PvE, or run them both together and do both....that selection doesn't really exist in the 5* tier. Either you got in on the ground floor and you have OML/PHX or maybe you lucked into BSS or GG in addition or instead. But you are completely at the mercy of random token pulls. That last Black Bolt cover you need is never going to show up as a T5 placement reward or a 900 progression reward that you can really fight for to finally champ him, all you can do is pray you pull that 1 in 100 shot from a classic token for the color cover you need.
    - If you do try to decide your own fate by hoarding and pulling Latest tokens.....you are still at the mercy of whatever 3 characters are in there. We had Bolt/Nat/Strange and that was a really solid trio for both PvE and PvP, but what if you save up for 6 months or more and the 3 latest are Banner-tier 5*s?
    - Lastly the pace. It is SO SLOW progressing into the 5* tier. If you jump in to the 3* tier with just 3 champed characters you play for a month or so and champ 3 more. To double your diversity like that in the 5* tier would be better measured in years. Yet we are locked into this 2 week window of expiring covers during which we are meant to progress. So we see a lot of people getting frustrated with 5* difficulty I think mainly because they have been playing the same events with the same characters for months on end.

So with all that said....it's still fun to play at the 5* level. Sure PvE is tougher, but if you aren't a T10 PvE person then it won't matter to you at all - hell there are lots of guys that still take top honors even with 5* scaling, so it's tougher, but not impossible. PvP is more of a slog, but it makes hitting 1200 a lot easier and placement rewards much nicer too. The HP really flows. So it's a different game, but it's still fun to play. Plus we can always hold out hope that one of the devs will some day play the game with a 5* roster and maybe throw us a bone too, you never know.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Akari wrote:

Yes, but why bother if I'll never use them? Just a waste of a roster spot.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie wrote:
    Akari wrote:

That too. My 4*'s are at a maximum of 210 right now and are only moving up as the 3*s catch them up.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie wrote:
    Akari wrote:

That too. My 4*'s are at a maximum of 210 right now and are only moving up as the 3*s catch them up.

Scaling takes the weekly/essentual boosts into account. 5*s are never buffed except for the occasional special pvp and that is a negligable buff.

My alt with only champed 3*s and no usuable 4*s has no trouble carrying 6 5*s at base level. Stop selling the 5*s. They're pretty fun even just for trivial nodes, seed teams and ddq. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Akari wrote:

Yes, but why bother if I'll never use them? Just a waste of a roster spot.
    Some of the 5* Powers can be quite useful even at base level.
    Silver Surfer's Black Hole can provide lots of board shake
    OML can pump out strike tiles like there's no tomorrow
    Phoenix is an excellent battery for red AP
    Spiderman can neutralize opposing strike tiles
    Green Goblin can fortify your countdowns
    Black Bolt can pump out charged tiles
    ...and so on. They may not be as useful at base level, but that doesn't mean you'll never find a use for a rostered fivestar.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2017
    Right now the way to go is getting as many 5 covers as possible, but soft cap those at 360. This is the best of two worlds scenario. You get 5s and you can use them together with all the other 4s that are buffed that week. With this strategy you have it very easy in PvE and you can also easily get to 900 in PvP, probably even to 1200.

In my particular case, after a lot of months playing the same 2 chars everywhere (OML+PH, my SS didnt have too much play time), I managed to champ 3 more 5s (BBolt, BW and Strange), so my playing experience has improved A LOT. I can finally play different teams depending on the mode or the opposing team! This is a completely different game right now. So based in my experience I would recommend that for now, don't go completely 5 land until you have at least 4 5s that you will be able to champ. Yes, I said at least 4 !!!

PS: Another problem of going 5 land, is the iso requirements. Iso influx has improved, and if you play SCL8 it might be enough for 4 rosters, but 5s need a way more iso. Champing these six 5s has costed me 3.5M iso, so six 5s is more or less the same than champing nine 4s. We really need SCL9 and SCL10 :S
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    I start rostering 5* once i got 10-15 championed 3*. Boosted 3* is already in 270 level range so it should not affect your scaling at all. Once you champion good amout of 4* you could start leveling your 5*s
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Well, add me to the crowd that don't care about 5*s... I have many of the rostered with 1-3 covers (except OML, because I don't like Wolverine at all) but I didn't apply not a single ISO to level them, and for now I just think they are wasted slots.

I recently started champ my first 4*s, and I'm really happy with them, along with my champed 3*s and 2*s, and just fells kind of disapointed when a LT pulls purple... I always prefer to pull a 4*, because they are more helpfull imo. And even with boosted champs 4*s and don't have scale issues, using my 3*s and 2*s (OBW, CStorm) even in non-essential missions, and that's what I like most: use anyone I want, no matter their star tier.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Akari wrote:

This is my current plan. I'll roster them, but even if I get to 13 covers I doubt I will champion any of them until the meta changes dramatically. Since I'm just starting 4* it will be a long time before that's a legitimate problem for me and hopefully the meta changes before I get there.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dunno what to call my category. I actually want to move into 5* land because I'm PVP-focused - I run PVE but it's just for ISO, I only shoot for placement on new releases.

I can't, though, because I've always pulled classics and I'm stuck with a handful of almost-covered characters and a whole bunch with 4-6 covers. I've got a 3/5/4 OML, a 5/4/2 Phoenix, and a 5/1/5 Black Suit. Logan would probably be somewhat competitive, but leveling a single 5* is a mistake from what I've heard.

So my options are:

- Keep pulling classics and pray I get the right covers (incredibly unlikely especially for Black Suit)
    - Just give up and switch to Latest
    - Save up 2880 CP to finish Phoenix and Black Suit, and wait for OML black on day 800

Ugh.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    The price you pay for exclusivity is that you're normally alone and not having much fun.
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I've rostered every 5* I've pulled, which is not many in the grand scheme of things. I will continue to roster them hoping for the day that we have a better mechanic for pulling/gaining 5*s. I would rather have a base to start with then having to catch up because I foolishly sold them because they could mess up my scaling or are useless because I haven't leveled them.
  • keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I've got an 11-cover Black bolt, and any event I can use him is is trivialized.

I'm also in a bracket where everyone else has 10+ championed 4*'s (I have three), so if I can't use Black Bolt, I do not have a chance at placing high in the event standings. If you don't know, once all nine pins are trivial, your rank is determined by how soon you clear each pin four times before the event is over.

Anyway, the game is boring, no two ways about it. Restrict or don't, eventually you end up with a roster that's good enough to clear at whatever rate. If you're super serious about placement, you'll make sure to log in at the roll-over and crush it, else be happy with the 50-100 level. Get your covers, expand your collection, SSDD.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    I'm rostering all my 5*s because I'm a collector. (I even have Yelena and a 144 champed Bagman.) But I'm not leveling any 5*s past 270 as long as I've got more 4*s I can spend the iso on instead. My hope is that by the time my 4-tier is waiting on covers instead of waiting on iso, I'll have a few different 5*s covered enough to play with.

Yes, I'm aware they keep releasing 4*s, but I don't whale new releases so it takes a while for them to get past the point where a few k iso will max them. My backlog of fully covered but not leveled 4*s is steadily decreasing.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I really think they set up 5*s poorly from the start. They start at the max (non champ) level for 4*s. Its really a 2 tier jump. It goes 1<15<40<70<255 but can level up to 270. They wanted 5*s to be useful right away (not the case) and they expected it to take forever to cover them (Its diluted now but people can hoard latest and get lucky).

I don't think they can do it, but I wish they lowered the levels by 100. 5*s already have the advantage of more complex and powerful moves, they don't need to jump up in level and match damage that drastically. If they started at 155, I would be compelled to level them up to my 4* champ levels.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards

What a dreadful waste icon_e_sad.gif
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker

He's got the right idea.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor

He's got the right idea.

Not really. You move into 5* land not from obtaining covers, but from putting ISO into them. You can keep the covers and treat them like your 4* if you really want to.