Why worry about attaining 5-stars?

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
The recent announcement to eliminate the restricted rosters for the next heroic event brought out a lot of complaints from 5* players in that thread. Their concerns really got me thinking... I don't want to make that transition. In the past I've enviously OOOH'd and AHHH'd when looking at someone's roster and they have some combination of three champed 5* characters; usually Phoenix, OML, and <insert 5* here>. Their concern for the upcoming heroic is they can't utilize the (normally) restricted roster due to pve scaling - they'll be forced to use their three champed 5* characters, eliminating all variety from their MPQ life. Just like they're forced to use those same three characters in all other heroics, and every pvp.

YUCK. How boring the game must be when forced into this situation. If I had to use the same two or three characters every single time I had to battle... well, let's just say MPQ would no longer be installed on my phone.

Part of the problem is the lack of diversity at the 5* level; there just isn't enough characters at that tier to provide the plethora of choices available when you're playing at the 3* or 4* level. Another problem is the sheer absurdity of odds in obtaining 5* covers, meaning what little diversity there is at that level is further hampered.

So I think I won't hoard LTs and CPs. What pitiful few covers I have and get for 5* characters can remain trophies, and those characters will remain at level 255, until the far distant future if reduced rarity makes them viable. In the meantime, I'll stay in 3 & 4-star land and enjoy the variety.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pretty much, yeah. Every game for me now is Phoenix + OML + someone else. Not terribly exciting. Might get better if I can get more fivestars up and running though...
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    problem seems to be that scaling forces them to use only certain characters
    i'm squarely in 3 Land and have no plans of leveling 5's (although i have foolishly recruited them)
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've heard so many nightmarish stories about peoples' scaling in PvE due to their levelled up 5*s that I've not sunk one single ISO crystal into any of them.

I'm enjoying levelling up my 4*s instead. Takes forever, but what the heck, I get a somewhat more predictable flow of covers for them than any 5*. There are 5*s I'd want to level up, too. I'd love to get Black Bolt going or Black Widow, but it wouldn't benefit me for doing so.

My scaling with the nmber of 4*s I have champed is quite acceptable. There are a few evil nodes that kick the **** out of me (Muscle/Juggernaut/Muscle for example) but on the whole I can get through PvE and PvP to the level I want to achieve. And I have fun.

Hearing how awful it was for 5* rosters to take on that above node just makes me wonder if these people really regret leaping into 5* land so whole heartedly.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    I'm apparently going against conventional wisdom here but I don't know anyone in-game who's found champing a 5* to be a negative experience.

It's made my PvE far more enjoyable - early nodes can be dismissed in moments and whilst battling lvl 375+ goons/characters is not easy, it is a decent challenge. And I never, ever wipe.

PvP scaling can be tough, but I can still get to 1.2k without shielding if I get lucky with qs. Hopping is much easier, quicker and safer beyond 900 with 5* power.

I'm talking 11/12 covers at least though, it's then that you really see the impact.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Heroics are much more fun due to scaling not being absurd. As someone who has a top end 480 5* roster, heroics were always a more interesting diversion since I got to utilize much more of my roster and try interesting combos.

I have a variety of 5* at my disposal, but to be competitive, I have no choice but to run my 5* or a few select boosted 4* (rulk, teen jean, icy, 4clops).

Heroic was always a welcome break in the routine.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've always been of the mind that I would rather have everyone from a tier done before I move on to the next tier. When I finished 2*s I moved on to 3*s and when I was super close to being done with the 3* tier I moved on to 4*s (I did champ Peggy with I think three 3*s left to champ because I had several covers in the queue that would have been lost otherwise).

I'm hoarding right now but covering 5*s isn't the reason, just trying to maximize my returns on the 4*s by not selling off too many covers which in turn will lead to more champ levels down the road. So I only pull tokens when I have enough ISO to champ a new 4*. I have a small backlog of about 5 or 6 cover maxed 4*s that I'm trying to finish off one at a time. Looks like Invisible Woman will be next since she is coming up in my resupply soon.

I know I could probably do much better in PVP with some ISO invested in my semi-covered 5*s but then I'd need to use them all the time in PVE so no thanks. I'll get to them eventually but not until I finish the 4* tier.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    I'm definitely not worried about attaining them, but I'm always excited to. I'm transitioning to 4* territory (just got my first champed 4*), and each 5* I find is a delicious promise of things to come. I won't take a single one of them past 270 until I have a great deal of my 4* roster champed, but it's nice to know they're there. And they'll still work very well even without leveling them up.
  • Rod5
    I'm doing 4* champing in reverse pretty much. Given like Quebbster says ISO is no longer really an issue, when the right covers come up I'll champ.

My only slight regret is that I've chucked out quite a few 4* covers over time, but ISO gain is so different now that I've come to terms with that.

At the end of the day, for me it guarantees 25CP per event - PvP because it's not so hard and PvE because it takes much less time than it used to for boredom to set in.
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    All the interesting and fun game mechanics are now filling up the 4* tier, the only appeal I see in 5* land is smashing on teams with match damage. Only now they've been getting unique skills that aren't gimmicky.
  • Rod5
    vinsensual wrote:
    All the interesting and fun game mechanics are now filling up the 4* tier, the only appeal I see in 5* land is smashing on teams with match damage. Only now they've been getting unique skills that aren't gimmicky.

I never tire of nailing a match-4/5 with a critical tile, 10k+ damage without even using a power.

Agreed on 4*s though. Peggy/Medusa/Carol have been the most interesting additions for a while.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly, I like collecting. I have every 5* in the game but the only one I actually use is Silver Surfer for DDQ (I leveled him to 315 before I heard about scaling issues. After that I haven't spent any ISO on the 5*).

I like to collect 5* cover but I'm definitely not leveling them until I have every 4* champed, which is a long **** time away.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rod5 wrote:
    I'm apparently going against conventional wisdom here but I don't know anyone in-game who's found champing a 5* to be a negative experience.
    One, yes.
    Scaling breaks down once you got two or more 5s champed.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    prolly stupid question: does the the scaling get better by moving down in CL for an event?
    Couldn't you play at level 5 and run your 4*'s? If its all about being boring,then you don't really need placement/progression awards.
    I was newb dazzled and poured iso into my first three 5* covers when I got them(and then was all "that was a BAD investment...doh) during 2* champ, but you can't convince me that the game isn't more fun with OML in my roster! Spidey plays a great tank when i am undercovered for a req'd node! I wish i had a surfer for ramp! i'd be stoked even if i opened a Gobby, the house elf: he's pretty nuke. Having the full widow suite is like owning the jump man 23's from 08' with the red soles. Running a team IM sounds GGG(Good Game Goal).
    5*s are rad: they have super fun abilities, high match, deep hp, i welcome them in the narrative stories of PvE, I understand after wasting hundreds of thousands iso leveling up, why it's not advantageous to peak too soon but it's not a bad place to be:

champed 5*....i got 99 problems but that ain't one
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    purplemur wrote:
    prolly stupid question: does the the scaling get better by moving down in CL for an event?
    PvE scaling and PvP matchmaking is not affected by the Clearance levels. You still fight the same opponents at the same level, only for different rewards.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    I'm not sure I believe the stories about terrible scaling. Yes the goons get powerful, but so are the champed 5's. I don't have any myself yet, but I know the guys in my alliance with champed 5's are actually the fastest on PVE clears. In a recent event I had a player with 550's (you know who) and he was #1 after the first 4 clears.

I think the problem is that if you have 1-2 characters much higher than everyone else, you have to use them all the time. That's true with lower tiers too, to a lesser extent. If those 1-2 characters aren't good choices for a particular node/event, it can be tough.

That's one reason I'm not hoarding. I spend all my CP on classics, and when I eventually do get to champing 5's, I'll have more options to choose from. And I'll probably have some 300+ base 4's to complement them.

That goes against the forum majority, but oh well, I'm having fun building up my 4's and 5's slowly together.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in 4* land, and still sell every 5* cover other than OML. I have zero desire to get into 5* land and 5* scaling as I enjoy this game and do not want it spoiling by having it locked down to only 5* characters.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    I'm in 4* land, and still sell every 5* cover other than OML. I have zero desire to get into 5* land and 5* scaling as I enjoy this game and do not want it spoiling by having it locked down to only 5* characters.

You do realize that you can roster and cover your 5*, and your scaling won't change until you actually level them, right? It's a huge waste to sell them off...
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    If people think they don't want to level their 5*s because of scaling, that's a problem with game design that needs to be fixed. There should not be an incentive for not trying to reach a higher level.

My personal problem with the 5* is that I've been actively playing at a Top 100 level since the first 5* was released, and I don't have a single one fully covered. The ability to acquire 5* covers is unaccaptably reliant on one RNG-dependent avenue. I'd LIKE to be able to use something other than OML/PHX when climbing, but my queues are dominated by champed 5*s and even the best boosted 4*s are about 50 levels lower than my OML/PHX.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Akari wrote:

You do realize that you can roster and cover your 5*, and your scaling won't change until you actually level them, right? It's a huge waste to sell them off...

Unless he also softcapped the 4*s way below 255.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    I've been debating this exact topic for the last few weeks.

I'm securely in 4 land and have most of the top tier 4s championied. I've been hoarding my LT/CP chasing that coveted 300 goal. Like most others, I fear finally hitting my goal and diving into 5 land only to get stuck using the same 3 characters over and over.