Is Chandra a joke?

Gideon
Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
She must be a joke right? I'm not laughing though. I looked at my calendar but it's not April and your not fooling anyone. This set specific nonsense you are doing with the planeswalkers is going to cause an Aether revolt in your game. It is nonsense to the nth degree. Her design is horrible and her abilities are way over costed. She will be played less than J1 . The most epic fail of all time. Get new playtesters and actually talk to the people over at wizards so you can stop making the mistakes they made 5 years ago.

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just asked our other leaders to vote on banning people from our team for spending money on her.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lol you're banning players because you disagree with their purchase choices?
  • bk1234
    Ohboy wrote:
    Lol you're banning players because you disagree with their purchase choices?

Dollars make the world go round.
  • Ohboy
    Kill those scabs!

How dare they make their own decisions!
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Sadly, I'm going to have to agree. This set specific nonsense is wearing thin. Once you realize that you need specific key cards from a single set in order to take full advantage of the planeswalker, you just end up shelving them.

I tried Dovin Baan. I started using cards that built around energize. As I continued to play, I would end up finding some weakness then replacing a card with something more useful. In the end, I just end up getting rid of energize cards and focusing on building a Blue/White deck.

I mean, I would love to build around their "specialties", but unless it can survive a top tier Kiora, Sorin, Koth, etc. deck it just becomes plain ****. And I would never bring something unreliable to an event.
  • Lightcell
    Lightcell Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Steeme wrote:
    Sadly, I'm going to have to agree. This set specific nonsense is wearing thin. Once you realize that you need specific key cards from a single set in order to take full advantage of the planeswalker, you just end up shelving them.

I tried Dovin Baan. I started using cards that built around energize. As I continued to play, I would end up finding some weakness then replacing a card with something more useful. In the end, I just end up getting rid of energize cards and focusing on building a Blue/White deck.

I mean, I would love to build around their "specialties", but unless it can survive a top tier Kiora, Sorin, Koth, etc. deck it just becomes plain ****. And I would never bring something unreliable to an event.

I don't have Dovin but I think the issue is, assuming all overload effects work the same, is that overload 1 only triggers once when energized gems are matched. Otherwise he would be top tier since you would be able to energize the whole field in a turn or two.
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Lightcell wrote:
    Steeme wrote:

I don't have Dovin but I think the issue is, assuming all overload effects work the same, is that overload 1 only triggers once when energized gems are matched. Otherwise he would be top tier since you would be able to energize the whole field in a turn or two.
    Overload triggers once per matching instance. So if you make a match with an Energized gem, Overload 1 will trigger once. If that match cascades into another match with an Energized gem, Overload 1 will trigger a second time. If that cascade chains into another cascade with an Energized gem matched, Overload 1 will trigger once again. So you do have a chance to trigger Overload multiple times a turn, and gem destruction will also help with that.

But I do also agree that at the moment the Energize/Overload cards don't do enough on their own such that you need to summon out too many cards before you can start reaping the benefits which isn't all that great anyway. Although once people draw into more Kaladesh cards, we might start coming across some interesting interactions.
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    I'm fine with one set-specific planeswalker per set (Gideon 2, Arlinn), but this is too much. You changed Saheeli, gave us Dovin and now Chandra is also reliant on Energize/Overload. What's more, while I understand that dual-colored pws might need more limitations, monos should have more versatile skills to make up for less versatility their single color offers. This is an overkill, I hope you guys realize that and change your design philosophy.

Furthermore, Chandra's skills are way too expensive for what they do. They should be 6 (or even 4, that skill is extremely unreliable), 9 and 18, like comparable skills in other pws, especially given their additional cost in energized gems. Right now she'll only be playable due to decent mana gains (and I agree, what's up with all those black gems? Out of 3 recent monos, all had black as their primary or secondary mana source)
  • Ohboy
    I'll say the same thing I said about saheeli changes.

None of us have played Chandra yet. Reserve your pitchforks for after you've actually played her. Saheeli is still widely used and not the instant flop the last such thread insisted she would be.

And since bken1234 is leading the charge for banning players who she discovers buys the card, please don't rush to review it when it hits the stores as that's a dead giveaway.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    But why would I even want to use her! Look at her!

Oh I know why I will - because they will gate an event by requiring to have her. Sly and shady.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Gideon wrote:
    Get new playtesters and actually talk to the people over at wizards so you can stop making the mistakes they made 5 years ago.

*If only* they were making the mistakes that WOTC made 5 years ago. I reckon they're still about 20 years behind...

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=50214&p=562597#p562737

One thing that makes me lol particularly heartily about the new set is the way they did all that work last time around to turn Discard into a clickable keyword, and now they're just forgetten about it... icon_e_smile.gif
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975
    Wait till they make her also needed for event(like Dovin baan).
    Then the riot can start.
  • buscemi
    There's really no reason to play Chandra2 over Saheeli is there? Saheeli's mana gains dwarf Chandra2s, ditto their Energizing abilties, and they both play with red cards, only Saheeli gets to play with some good cards as well.

Unless... hey... maybe they could put Saheeli back the way she was? icon_e_smile.gif
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Ohboy wrote:

None of us have played Chandra yet. Reserve your pitchforks for after you've actually played her. Saheeli is still widely used and not the instant flop the last such thread insisted she would be.

And since bken1234 is leading the charge for banning players who she discovers buys the card, please don't rush to review it when it hits the stores as that's a dead giveaway.

Well, I haven't used Saheeli's 3rd skill since they changed it, but I'm glad you like it. Some of us have this thing called abstract thinking, which allows us to imagine how Chandra will work based on the information already provided. If that makes your brain boil, feel free to come back to this topic once she's released. Spoiler alert: she'll still be limited to the current set and designed to become obsolete once the next block enters the vault.

And I'm pretty sure you don't have to care how bken runs her coalition, since the chances of that ever becoming your problem are close to zero. On an unrelated note, I hope that you asked Santa for A Beginner's Guide to Sarcasm. You might find it very useful.
  • buscemi
    Ohboy wrote:
    Saheeli is still widely used...

Is she? I've been asking around the MEGALLIANCE today and it does seem like quite a lot of us have stopped playing with her. She's not tailored for QB, like Koth or Nahiri... She doesn't tear up the Holiday Showdown like Kiora... and she's not ideal for any of those new secondary objectives we've been getting like Ob Nixilis...

Plus she's a limited release, what % of players in the game even own her?

You're not in a coalition, are you? Where are you getting this from?
  • bk1234
    Ohboy wrote:

Saheeli is still used by who??

Also per your comment about me -- good thing I don't exclusively make decisions for my team -- but they all pretty much agree -- C2 is **** -- though most of us think not much is worth spending money on these days.

My theory is that D3 and Hiberum are trying to go out of business. Nothing else makes sense.
  • Ohboy
    buscemi wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:
    Saheeli is still widely used...

Is she? I've been asking around the MEGALLIANCE today and it does seem like quite a lot of us have stopped playing with her. She's not tailored for QB, like Koth or Nahiri... She doesn't tear up the Holiday Showdown like Kiora... and she's not ideal for any of those new secondary objectives we've been getting like Ob Nixilis...

Plus she's a limited release, what % of players in the game even own her?

So sorry I'm not in a prestigious coalition like you. I should have known better than to talk to my betters. I do head a coalition of casual players, and my friends have saheeli which they still use frequently. She's still one of my best walkers, and I use her in the events. Also seen her around in events, though that's not really indicative of whether people are actually using her.

And if you're talking about her being unsuitable for events, then you've missed the point of the criticisms. It has nothing to do with her change.

**** about her did stop the moment the changes did actually go through, didn't it?
  • buscemi
    Ohboy wrote:
    buscemi wrote:

So sorry I'm not in a prestigious coalition like you. I should have known better than to talk to my betters.

There's really no need to apologise. You keep practicing and maybe we'll see you in the top 10 some day!
    Ohboy wrote:
    **** about her did stop the moment the changes did actually go through, didn't it?
    ?SYNTAX ERROR IN 10
    READY.
    greentile.png
  • Ohboy
    bken1234 wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

Also per your comment about me -- good thing I don't exclusively make decisions for my team -- but they all pretty much agree -- C2 is **** -- though most of us think not much is worth spending money on these days.

I think even you can see the difference between thinking c2 is not worth the purchase, and actively pursuing support to kick players who dare to purchase her against your recommendation.
  • bk1234
    Ohboy wrote:
    bken1234 wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

I think even you can see the difference between thinking c2 is not worth the purchase, and actively pursuing support to kick players who dare to purchase her against your recommendation.

OMG.

sar·casm
    ˈsärˌkazəm/
    noun
    the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.