Thanos (premature character analysis)

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* thanos black is really bad.... the self dmg is too heavy and in 3* land there isn't many people who can self heal so quickly.

i would avoid using him actually.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    5 Thanos best build maybe 5/4/4 ? (2 turn stun looks like something nice to add, then 4 in purple is also a must, but 5 doesnt add that much, so 5/5/3 or 5/4/4 look like best builds). 3k self damage for a 5 is not that bad, specially when considering the 2 turn stun and 14k AoE. Purple is amazing when fired at the right time. Also amazing match damage and hitpoints, I still think he is probably strongest 5 of all, specially for PvP.

3 Thanos best build on the other hand looks like 5/3/5. Green looks like the strongest color. 4k AoE is not bad, but the other powers are quite meh. He is not 3 Strange good in any way.

agree that he is probably the strongest 5* now. great on offense: kill off one character and you deal 14k AOE for free. and you have 2 turns to trigger it again. On defence, the opponent must bring a full health team into the battle, as any accidental death (even Phx) will trigger the 14k dmg.

I said it already, he is also the king of defense. He has 65k hitpoints, but you need to kill him first so he doesn't trigger his black, so if you pair him with GG or BBolt you will suffer a lot of damage, while killing Thanos. If using GG his green is also so much dangerous.

There are not that many stunners in 5 land, Spidey is the only one that can stun him easily, Strange is a bit squishy for PvP, if you don't want to kill him first.
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    atomzed wrote:
    3* thanos black is really bad.... the self dmg is too heavy and in 3* land there isn't many people who can self heal so quickly.

I wonder, if you team him up with someone like Colossus who can send a teammate airborne, if you do that to Thanos and then down someone on the other team if it can prevent it from shooting off.
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    TeamStewie wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

I wonder, if you team him up with someone like Colossus who can send a teammate airborne, if you do that to Thanos and then down someone on the other team if it can prevent it from shooting off.

I was thinking about that with 4-star Punisher's teammate stun. There are fairly few ways to strategically prevent the passive from activating (assuming you have the AP to make it happen and then also reliably down the enemy/enemies during that window), but it's kinda ridiculous that this is a problem that's being left up to the players to solve.
  • adamdivine
    adamdivine Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Why does 3nos black power not trigger any one else's abilities? Have tried it with xpool, Capt marvel and thing. None of them are triggered even though it is well past the damage threshold
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    I wonder what his Champ reward is.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    adamdivine wrote:
    Why does 3nos black power not trigger any one else's abilities? Have tried it with xpool, Capt marvel and thing. None of them are triggered even though it is well past the damage threshold
    1 it stuns them so Marvel and XFD won't trigger, 2 it's aoe so Thing won't trigger
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    fmftint wrote:
    adamdivine wrote:
    1 it stuns them so Marvel and XFD won't trigger, 2 it's aoe so Thing won't trigger

3* thanos doesn't have a stun. I would guess it's part of the passives can't trigger passives rule. That can be annoying, but it prevents infinite passive loops.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    TeamStewie wrote:
    I wonder what his Champ reward is.
    red hulk
  • Fabmammouth
    Fabmammouth Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    I agree that thanos 3* is really bad. You do more damage to your team than ennemy (except for the first killed ennemy, this is equal). I often kill my team and have to finish with thanos. Hopefully, he has good life level. But doing damage relies a lot on green that you are not sure to trigger... black really need rebalance.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had some fun with Thanos in the essential node. The damage to the opposing team could be increased with strike tiles, so once one enemy was down the others were soon to follow.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree that thanos 3* is really bad. You do more damage to your team than ennemy (except for the first killed ennemy, this is equal). I often kill my team and have to finish with thanos. Hopefully, he has good life level. But doing damage relies a lot on green that you are not sure to trigger... black really need rebalance.

It is weirder than that, you do less team damage with two colours, more with 3 and 4 before finishing with less with 5 colours.

Personally, I'd hope that they announce that this is a bug when they get back after Xmas and that team dmg should follow the same pattern as most of these stupid negative powers where the benefit outweighs the cost more with each additional cover.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    It is weirder than that, you do less team damage with two colours, more with 3 and 4 before finishing with less with 5 colours.

Personally, I'd hope that they announce that this is a bug when they get back after Xmas and that team dmg should follow the same pattern as most of these stupid negative powers where the benefit outweighs the cost more with each additional cover.
    Phoenix red says hi.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was using 3-star Thanos in the required node in the Unstable ISO PvE along with 4-star Deadpool and (don't laugh) Mr Fantastic. Two true healers helped mitigate the damage from his Passive Black. I had an Imaginaut out, and I took out Moonstone with the damage from the Imaginaut. Thanos's passive didn't activate from that damage. Is this a bug, or does it have to be match or active ability damage to activate Courting Death?
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    eidehua wrote:
    Thano5 purple also works against Galactus icon_e_biggrin.gif

Is this intentional or an oversight? It sounds like a 0/1/0 5* Thanos and a purple feeder like Wanda makes Galactus a cakewalk.
  • Polares wrote:
    3 Thanos best build on the other hand looks like 5/3/5. Green looks like the strongest color. 4k AoE is not bad, but the other powers are quite meh. He is not 3 Strange good in any way.
    If Green's his strongest color, that's pretty bad, because his Green is not very good. It's way too slow. First you need to get 12 AP. Then you need to place the CD tile in the corner, hope it doesn't get destroyed (it happens). Then you wait 3 turns before it goes off. I'd much prefer KK's Green. Same AP, similar damage goes off immediately. Even 3* Thor's Call the Storm at 14 AP might be faster to get off since he self-accelerates his Green with his Yellow.

As for his black, that will destroy your team! Even if you have true healers like Patch, 3* Daken, or even an OML with one Yellow cover, I don't know if they will heal fast enough. Grocket might die before he gets a chance to I-Am-Groot himself. It depends how fast you're downing your opponents. I guess you can put Pheonix on your team. If she dies, she comes back with a vengeance. But I don't see how Black is good.
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Moon Roach wrote:
    eidehua wrote:

Is this intentional or an oversight? It sounds like a 0/1/0 5* Thanos and a purple feeder like Wanda makes Galactus a cakewalk.

With thanos's purple on the board, Wanda won't be able to place her countdown tile neither. I doubt that it will be cakewalk.
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Skimmed quickly but didn't notice a mention...

One thing that has irked me is if you win a match with Kamala Kahn on your team, using another character's ability, KK's "Bring Out the Best" does not heal after the winning ability fires. I've told myself this is because the game ends when the enemy is defeated so no more moves/actions can take place.

Well, along comes 3Thanos, and his "Court Death" ability has proven me wrong. After defeating an enemy team using Deapool's "Whales, Whales, Whales" (no tokens spent), my Deadpool was then killed at the end of the battle.

There is at least one other passive that I KNOW does not activate after a victory, but cannot think of it right now. Falcon's "Inspiration?"

Anyway, are there any rules as to which passives will or will not activate after a victory? "Court Death" seems to be the only one I can think of that does– but I very well be wrong. Shouldn't it be consistent that they either fire or don't?
  • Melac
    Melac Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    robertbah wrote:
    Moon Roach wrote:
    eidehua wrote:

With thanos's purple on the board, Wanda won't be able to place her countdown tile neither. I doubt that it will be cakewalk.

Little late now, but: Wanda's countdown is a 3 turn, so is Thanos at 1 cover.
    If you wait until the turn Wanda's countdown comes down, then put Thanos's countdown above hers, because countdowns go from top down, his disappears on the same turn, but before Wandas, so she'll gen more purple to fuel another use.

That's how I was able to lock Galactus into doing nothing 3 out of 4 turns.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    As the 2nd posted video confirmed, I was afraid that downing 2 enemies at once with an AoE would activate Court Death twice - even if this ends the match - Yep.
    Wowch