Thanos (premature character analysis)

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
3* thanos is viewable in-game now.

At first glance he looks kinda underwhelming.

He will be tough, with the highest health in the 3* tier.

But his black is quite dangerous. It will do more self damage than enemy damage at 3 or 4 covers. May do near 3k self damage at max level (unchamped).

His purple is decent. Offering a very big boost to match damage for just 8ap. And since his match damage goes up, he will have an easier time tanking. But you still need to protect a CD, and the history of this type of power is mixed at best (obw is awesome, but passive. Vision and fantastic are both terrible comps).

Green is expensive at 12 ap, and takes at least 3 turns to resolve. You can place the tile, so it will survive frequently, but thanos will take damage the whole time (without any damage mitigation or offensive buff unless combined with purple). The final damage looks to be high for 3* land, maybe near 4k. But is this really more compelling than kk or thor?

I have very low hopes for this design, especially disappointing after strange. Am i missing something?

The 5* version does still have the interesting ability to prevent the ai from [spawning special tiles], and he does less self damage. Dont know if that will make enough of a difference.

I really hope i am wrong, but i was expecting more from a marquee villain like thanos.

Edit: edited to accurately describe 5* thanos' purple

Comments

• Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I'm not going to lie, Thanos Black
    ( Court Death) is a concern.
    You will definitely need a healer on the team or have plenty of health packs in reserve.

Or, make other team mates finish off opponents. Just bring Thanos along for the power factor.
    Or, and finally Thanos forces you to delve deep into your roster.
    Just some early premature thoughts.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Remember when the optimal build for IM40 was 5/5/1?

Pretty sure my Thanos will be better off with a 0/5/5 build.

It feels like there was some other ability or something tied to his Black that got scrapped at the last minute.

I could take the self damage at face value if there was some benefit along side the risk, but at this point it seems masochistic. Give him a 30 AP single target Nuke along with it, bump up his damage for all his matches (oh wait, that's what his purple does), or give him some self healing along side it's effect.
  • Vhailorx
    Agreed pwuz, black seems incomplete. Mayhe it had a stun or ap generation component that made it too powerful in early testing? The marvel.com "interview" says thanos' black stuns the enemy team. But 3* Thanos' power description doesnt have anything about stun.

The 3* version looks borderline terrible now.
  • biryon
    biryon Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Remember when the optimal build for IM40 was 5/5/1?

Pretty sure my Thanos will be better off with a 0/5/5 build.

It feels like there was some other ability or something tied to his Black that got scrapped at the last minute.
    It probably used to directly consume health packs instead of ap. I'm also thinking I may be better off just trashing the black cover, which is horrible character design. No idea what they were thinking on this one. If they were going for a deadly threat that doesn't work with a team, they should've just made him a boss character instead.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    He definitely seems like a character that people will stay away from for the majority of the time, kinda like Sentry and Carnage, just due to health pack loss. Maybe he'll be a good person to guard your pvp from being attacked, but...ehhhhhhh, it's not looking like it.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    3 Strange was more or less like a proper sample of what 5 Strange is, but I think 3 Thanos it is not a good sample of 5 Thanos.

First black, 5 Thanos does half damage to your team. This power if my calculated/guessed number for him are true will be around 16k/8k, this is MASSIVE damage. It is the same damage PH does after resurrecting (it does more damage to your team), and it also STUNS everybody. So you can basically say that after killing one enemy, the other team loses the match. It is that strong. As an example, imagine in a normal PvP event, this means that after killing the 3, the other team will suffer 16k damage and be stunned for 2 turns! As I said they already lost the match. It is true you will need health packs after using him, but this power is so strong that it is wort it! (Surfer might be a great partner here, because he can't be stunned and he can self-heal)

Purple: 5 Thanos 'freezes' the board. This is specially important because like GG, this power helps protecting his green countdown. 3 Thanos just does extra damage.

Green: This one is the only power that might be almost the same for 3 and 5 Thanos. I expect it to be 12k+ damage in the 5 version.

I said it somewhere else but I think 5 Thanos will be the ultimate hop machine. He will be used just for fast hops, and for very hard fights, because of his black, he will be useless for normal PvE and climbing. I consider him also the best defensive char in the game, you will need to kill him first, and if he has around 60k hitpoints, this will be quite a bit of time.

3 Thanos looks underwhelming though, not good at anything (well maybe in defense, but just against other 3s).

PS: I think we will probably get the numbers for 5 Thanos from somebody before we get them here by the reds icon_e_sad.gif
  • Polares
    And effectively we already have 5 Thanos numbers

Checking the stats in game (one person got a Thanos cover for supporting the game). This are 5 Thanos numbers at 270 level !!! (not 255)

270 level Thanos

HT 17124
    B177 P157 G138 Bl22 R21 Y 19 Crit 4.0

Black: 2 turn stun
    2239/727
    2850/1018
    3344/1163
    3635/1163
    3635/901
    At 450: Around 14k/3.6k

Purple:
    3t-15%
    3t-45%
    3t-65%
    4t-65%
    4t-80%

Green:
    4t 3605
    3t 3809
    3t 4303
    3t 4768
    3t 5262
    At 450: Around 20k AoE

Man, he is stupidly good. He might be the best 5 of ALL.

I was a bit of in black damage, specially because I didn't know is that 5 Thanos black self damage gets reduced with covers.
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    To Clarify 5* Thanos after I have tested him already. He is very powerful. I say number 1 5* of all even better than Bolt.
    To Compare with all 550s that I have, he's extremely deadly in every single way.

1. Highest Health... at 550 he could be up to 140k Health. Love it (Well, pretty fair as he gotta tank a lot)

2. His Purple is deadliest in term of game play and strategy. For the owner of this post, his purple DOES NOT stop matching tiles. Enemies can match tiles still. It is about creating something new onto the board such as all special tiles and countdown tiles.
    2.1 All EXISTING CDS still working and go off after reach 0.
    2.2 If Purple on board...
    2.2.1 Phoenix die and CANNOT create Cd to resurrect (Tested, badass and I laughed my **** off)
    2.2.2 OML Strikes Passive and Black Strikes = For Black, it just end turn and no strikes created. Red, he loses health and no strikes on board.
    2.2.3 BlackBolt Whisper and scream, Still Damage the enemy but do not destroy any tiles on board. (Love it)
    2.2.4 Strange's Blue is good example. When fire, Strange still stun enemy for 3 turns but doesn't create 3 turn cd. So it means if powerful with 2 effects that include board changing and target, it will still usable but the board won't change.
    2.2.5 Skill to create CD and trigger things CANNOT be Used. It won't allow as a message will pop up.

3. Green - So so, I think this is least favourite of his power but gotta see the full damage when I maxed him.

4. Black Death - EXTREME.... Period.

5. Match damage is highest in game.

I think he's extremely powerful (as 5*s players) and he is also useful for new 4* players who transitioning to 5* because he has great health and match damage....

I'll post a video after tonight when his token is available to show the pulling video and also a testing match.

Conclusion .... 9.9/10
    The Best 5* of all.
  • KingDreadnaught
    Addition :

Black Death doesn't damage Thanos. And it's when "YOU" down enemy, not only Thanos. So this is super powerful.
  • Polares
    To Clarify 5* Thanos after I have tested him already. He is very powerful. I say number 1 5* of all even better than Bolt.
    To Compare with all 550s that I have, he's extremely deadly in every single way.

1. Highest Health... at 550 he could be up to 140k Health. Love it (Well, pretty fair as he gotta tank a lot)

2. His Purple is deadliest in term of game play and strategy. For the owner of this post, his purple DOES NOT stop matching tiles. Enemies can match tiles still. It is about creating something new onto the board such as all special tiles and countdown tiles.
    2.1 All EXISTING CDS still working and go off after reach 0.
    2.2 If Purple on board...
    2.2.1 Phoenix die and CANNOT create Cd to resurrect (Tested, badass and I laughed my **** off)
    2.2.2 OML Strikes Passive and Black Strikes = For Black, it just end turn and no strikes created. Red, he loses health and no strikes on board.
    2.2.3 BlackBolt Whisper and scream, Still Damage the enemy but do not destroy any tiles on board. (Love it)
    2.2.4 Strange's Blue is good example. When fire, Strange still stun enemy for 3 turns but doesn't create 3 turn cd. So it means if powerful with 2 effects that include board changing and target, it will still usable but the board won't change.
    2.2.5 Skill to create CD and trigger things CANNOT be Used. It won't allow as a message will pop up.

3. Green - So so, I think this is least favourite of his power but gotta see the full damage when I maxed him.

4. Black Death - EXTREME.... Period.

5. Match damage is highest in game.

I think he's extremely powerful (as 5*s players) and he is also useful for new 4* players who transitioning to 5* because he has great health and match damage....

I'll post a video after tonight when his token is available to show the pulling video and also a testing match.

Conclusion .... 9.9/10
    The Best 5* of all.

Wow, I didn't think purple WAS SO GOOD. I didn't expect he would negate adding strikes or countdowns, I thought he would just protect things on the board, but this is so much much better. Negating PH resurrect is big! He completely negates OML or PH, they are useless against him!

I agree with you, he looks like the BEST 5 of all. Just with purple and black he can easily be the best 5 of all.

And he might be the first 5 where a 3/5/5 BBolt might make sense to get a 5/5/5 Thanos :O

Conclusion: Well, I see I will be opening latest LTs until I get him icon_razz.gif
  • KingDreadnaught
    There you go...

Thanos Testing 1
    https://youtu.be/pjyEPGtfbW4

Thanos Testing 2 (3matches)
    https://youtu.be/5Nw4lzdNSn4
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Thanks KD! I though the Crash match was glitched when Starlord didn't drop his yellow when Thanos got his purple off. They really need to write the descriptions clearer.

Also, that black is a beast! Oof.
  • Vhailorx
    Thanks for extra info kdn!

Yeah, the numbers on 5* thanos, plus the added effects on black and purple do change the math with him. He may be an excelpent hop machine like sentry was back in the old days.

+80% match damage on a 5* is also very strong.

3* thamos still looks weak.
  • There you go...

Thanos Testing 1

Do you also have a video of the token pulls? Or can you say how much CP you spend to get all the covers this time, I remember it being slightly above 2k with Strange?
  • Polares
    There you go...

Thanos Testing 1

Wow those videos are sick, Thanos is the best 5, no doubts, green to black basically kills almost any other team. He is the fastest killing machine since Rhulk (and those videos are for sim, but in a normal PvP against a 3, how fast can he be?)

I think he will be the first nerfed 5.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Polares wrote:
    There you go...

Thanos Testing 1

Wow those videos are sick, Thanos is the best 5, no doubts, green to black basically kills almost any other team. He is the fastest killing machine since Rhulk (and those videos are for sim, but in a normal PvP against a 3, how fast can he be?)

I think he will be the first nerfed 5.

Good enough to chase PR tokens at the expense of waiting for him to move into Latests and get a higher 5* pull rate and have chances at 5trange (good) and 5widow (meh)?
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Confirming: 2.2.5 on KD's list means that overwrite powers like Steve Roger's shield abilities are blocked from replacing the purple countdown too since they won't even be selectable?
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Well, with his passive he will be my favourite character with OML and Strange/X23 in PvEs
  • greenglove
    greenglove Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    I have a 550 Thanos on my sandbox account. His health is just at 140k. His black at lvl 5 takes out 30k on any remaining teammates after first downing and dished out 7k damage to teammates. I can see why you guys love the purple so much. It does prevent skills. The green is about 40k team damage if you can protect it (GG makes a great pairing with Thanos). Plus I like GG's purple better than Thanos's. I am going 5/3/5 with Thanos and pairing him with GG and OML for healing.
  • greenglove
    greenglove Posts: 110 Tile Toppler
    Forgot to mention that GG's yellow makes Thanos even more nasty.