Thanos (premature character analysis)

Options

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can't be the only one who's disappointed that one of Thanos' powers didn't have some kind of a passive trigger to swap his colorset the way Hulk did.

The Mad Titan, the Infinity Gauntlet, six colors of gems...c'mon! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you have Quake on your team his black will actively harm his own team and do nothing to you. Lolz.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thano5 purple also works against Galactus icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Pogo
    Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Court Death (Passive): "When you down an enemy, hurt your teammates. I guess maybe hurt the enemy team too if you're feeling up to it, but let's not go overboard."

How does the timing work on Court Death? Like, if you're using Thanos in a wave battle, and you kill the last enemy in a wave, will the new enemies spawn before the Court Death damage is triggered, or does your own team eat all the damage?

As far as the three-star version goes, I'm probably going to sell every Black cover I get. I don't see a substantial upside to the having his passive, aside from raising his level cap by owning covers. Even at 5 ranks, allies still take way too much damage, and you'll have to have sacrificed ranks in his other powers just for the privilege of not taking the worst of the damage.

I get that there's an in-universe reason for him to hurt everybody around him, but at least Carnage has worthwhile counters. This is just ham-fisted and not fun. Cool, he has high stats, but am I going to be able to take him into missions as a one-man team?

Alternate ideas:

"Whenever you down an enemy, Thanos downs another enemy and also downs a teammate."

"At the start of each turn, Thanos punches a teammate for no reason, dealing [x] damage."

"Whenever you down an enemy, Thanos eats a Health Pack. Characters do not gain any health. If no health packs are available, Thanos is downed."
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wouldn't Thanos prevent a friendly GG from placing his own CD tiles? That sounds risky, for defense if nothing else. AI uses Infinite Power, followed by Goblin Glider, promptly locking it out for the rest of the match. I guess you probably killed someone and triggered Court Death on the rest, so maybe it's not a total loss.

Anyone test if Infinite Power is suspended while Thanos is stunned?
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The power's wording indicates that he does not damage himself with Court Death (says "allies")
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    If you have Quake on your team his black will actively harm his own team and do nothing to you. Lolz.

Well Quake can protect a bit, I don't remember Quake protecting against a 14k AoE icon_razz.gif

There is also the small detail that the attack stuns the other team and then does the damage, so Quake is completely useless against this attack.

Seriously, Thanos is out of this world! Like from Titan or so icon_razz.gif
  • Melac
    Melac Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Anyone know what covers you get for champing him?
    I'm in the 3-4 area, so that's usually the deciding factor for me now.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Melac wrote:
    Wrong Thanos, this is the 5* version.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Melac wrote:
    Wrong Thanos, this is the 5* version.

Actually my post was mostly about 3* thanos. But kdn dropped his informed hype about 5* thanos and people got distracted!
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    But his black is quite dangerous. It will do more self damage than enemy damage at 3 or 4 covers. May do near 3k self damage at max level (unchamped)

I'm curious what makes you think black would do more self damage than enemy damage?
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    But his black is quite dangerous. It will do more self damage than enemy damage at 3 or 4 covers. May do near 3k self damage at max level (unchamped)

I'm curious what makes you think black would do more self damage than enemy damage?

it changes from cover to cover. Its weird.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    spectator wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

So self damage goes up? That's... unfortunate. I was somewhat leery of the 3* black when I learned it did the same damage to both sides. If it's true self damage actually goes up then barring some as yet unknown aspect of his abilities 3* Thanos sounds quite bad.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    spectator wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

So self damage goes up? That's... unfortunate. I was somewhat leery of the 3* black when I learned it did the same damage to both sides. If it's true self damage actually goes up then barring some as yet unknown aspect of his abilities 3* Thanos sounds quite bad.

Look at the preview values for 3 and 4 covers. At thise levels the power does more damage ti the player's team than to the ai. Seems like an obvious design decision to prompt the player to keep black at 5.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3* Thanos's purple seems like a miss, too. At 5 covers, it gives a 5 turn CD that has him dealing 260% more match damage.

To examine, my level 200 Hood is boosted to 289 for Naughty and Nice, and his yellow (strongest color) deals 92 per tile. Multiply by 2.6 and again by 3, and a similar Thanos would be dealing 717.6 damage on a match 3 of his strongest color.

My unboosted level 191 Vision deals 1100 extra damage per match with his blue out. This is on top of the 82 * 3 base match damage on blue, or 246 + 1100 = 1346. Unboosted.

So a 289 Thanos will be doing approximately 628 less match damage than a level 191 Vision with their tiles out for one more turn. Assuming they each match 3 with no cascades and only on the strongest colors, Vision will outclass Thanos 5384 to 3588, for a total difference of 1796 in favor of Vision, and this is accounting for Thanos's extra turn. They both have to tank for their match damage bonus, too.

Thanos is my favorite villain, but this analysis of the 3* version makes me sad.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    Confirming: 2.2.5 on KD's list means that overwrite powers like Steve Roger's shield abilities are blocked from replacing the purple countdown too since they won't even be selectable?

Confirmed, I tried this in Crash of the Mad Titan with Star-Lord and it wouldn't let me overwrite the CD.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Melac wrote:

Red Hulk.

Also, I took the liberty of gathering stats on both 3* (166) and 5* (255 and 450) Thanos and formatting them:
    Thanos (Classic) :thanos:
    5 Star Rarity (Legendary)
    At 255: HP: 16163 Tile Damage: 18/20/21/149/130/167/84/4.0x
    At 450: HP: 64964 Tile Damage: 72/78/85/597/522/671/337/4.0x
      Court Death - 0 blacktile.png AP
      (PASSIVE) Thanos' desire to please his mistress Death makes him a terrifying threat and a volatile ally. When you down an enemy, stun all characters except for Thanos for 1 turn, then deal 2146 damage to all enemies and 697 to Thanos' allies.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Deals 2731 damage to enemies and 697 damage to allies. Level 3: Deals 3205 damage to enemies and 1115 damage to allies. Level 4: Deals 3484 damage to enemies and 1115 damage to allies. Level 5: Stuns other characters for 2 turns, then deals 3484 damage to enemies and 864 damage to allies.
      At 450:
        Level 3: Deals 12881 damage to enemies and 4480 damage to allies. Level 4: Deals 14002 damage to enemies and 4480 damage to allies. Level 5: Stuns other characters for 2 turns, then deals 14002 damage to enemies and 3472 damage to allies.

Infinite Power - 8 purpletile.png AP
      Invulnerable, immortal and nearly all-powerful, Thanos bends his foes to his will. Create a 3-turn Purple Countdown tile. While this tile is on the board, Thanos deals an extra 15% match damage and no tiles may be destroyed or changed except by Thanos (tiles may still be matched away).
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Match damage is increased by 45%. Level 3: Match damage is increased by 65%. Level 4: Creates a 4-turn Countdown tile. Level 5: Match damage is increased by 80%.
      At 450 these numbers are still the same.

Come and Get Me! - 12 greentile.png AP
      Thanos stands against the tide of his enemies before unleashing his wrath. Places a 4-turn Countdown tile that moves Thanos to the front at the end of the turn. When the Countdown tile goes off, deal 3455 damage to the enemy team.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Places a 3-turn Countdown tile that deals 3650 damage to the enemy team. Level 3: 4124 damage to the enemy team. Level 4: 4570 damage to the enemy team. Level 5: 5043 damage to the enemy team.
      At 450:
        Level 3: 16577 damage to the enemy team. Level 4: 18369 damage to the enemy team. Level 5: 20273 damage to the enemy team.
      Thanos (Modern) :thanos:
      3 Star Rarity (Rare)
      At 166: HP: 12325 Tile Damage: 11/13/12/70/61/79/41/3.5x
        Court Death - 0 blacktile.png AP
        (PASSIVE) Thanos' desire to please his mistress Death makes him a terrifying threat and a volatile ally. When you down an enemy, deal 2313 damage to all of Thanos' enemies and 2433 to his allies.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 4: 2958 damage to enemies and 3042 damage to allies. Level 5: 4077 damage to enemies and 3650 damage to allies.

Infinite Power - 8 purpletile.png AP
        Invulnerable, immortal and nearly all-powerful, Thanos bends his foes to his will. Create a 4-turn Purple Countdown tile. While this tile is on the board, Thanos deals an extra 175% match damage.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 4: Creates a 4-turn Countdown tile that increases match damage by 200%. Level 5: Creates a 5-turn Countdown tile that increases match damage by 260%.

Come and Get Me! - 12 greentile.png AP
        Thanos stands against the tide of his enemies before unleashing his wrath. Places a 3-turn Countdown tile that moves Thanos to the front at the end of the turn. When the Countdown tile goes off, deal 2573 damage to the enemy team.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 4: 3147 damage to the enemy team. Level 5: 4277 damage to the enemy team.
      • Polares
        Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
        Options
        5 Thanos best build maybe 5/4/4 ? (2 turn stun looks like something nice to add, then 4 in purple is also a must, but 5 doesnt add that much, so 5/5/3 or 5/4/4 look like best builds). 3k self damage for a 5 is not that bad, specially when considering the 2 turn stun and 14k AoE. Purple is amazing when fired at the right time. Also amazing match damage and hitpoints, I still think he is probably strongest 5 of all, specially for PvP.

3 Thanos best build on the other hand looks like 5/3/5. Green looks like the strongest color. 4k AoE is not bad, but the other powers are quite meh. He is not 3 Strange good in any way.
      • atomzed
        atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
        Options
        Polares wrote:
        5 Thanos best build maybe 5/4/4 ? (2 turn stun looks like something nice to add, then 4 in purple is also a must, but 5 doesnt add that much, so 5/5/3 or 5/4/4 look like best builds). 3k self damage for a 5 is not that bad, specially when considering the 2 turn stun and 14k AoE. Purple is amazing when fired at the right time. Also amazing match damage and hitpoints, I still think he is probably strongest 5 of all, specially for PvP.

3 Thanos best build on the other hand looks like 5/3/5. Green looks like the strongest color. 4k AoE is not bad, but the other powers are quite meh. He is not 3 Strange good in any way.

agree that he is probably the strongest 5* now. great on offense: kill off one character and you deal 14k AOE for free. and you have 2 turns to trigger it again. On defence, the opponent must bring a full health team into the battle, as any accidental death (even Phx) will trigger the 14k dmg.
      • Gari
        Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
        Options
        NIce. Please try the wave node with 3s Thanos in ISO 8. Youd see how "good" he is