"Would you play Boss Rush again, IF......."

13»

Comments

• BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I actually beat Boss Rush, I was right in that sweet spot of scaling where I could use Hulk, Storm and KK to generate a winfinte combo. It took 20-30 minutes to finish a match on the last day, but because the rewards were Peggy covers I did the grind anyway. If it hadn't finished on a weekend there would have been no way. There just wasn't time.

I'd rather see a mode where you don't have to use a winfinite team, and have a chance to use other parts of your roster, but even if it ran again with no changes, if the rewards were good enough, I'd do it again. Put something good on TV, crash on the couch, grind it out.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually beat Boss Rush, I was right in that sweet spot of scaling where I could use Hulk, Storm and KK to generate a winfinte combo. It took 20-30 minutes to finish a match on the last day, but because the rewards were Peggy covers I did the grind anyway. If it hadn't finished on a weekend there would have been no way. There just wasn't time.

I'd rather see a mode where you don't have to use a winfinite team, and have a chance to use other parts of your roster, but even if it ran again with no changes, if the rewards were good enough, I'd do it again. Put something good on TV, crash on the couch, grind it out.

How does Hulk, Storm and KK form an infinite combo? The only way you get green from 3*Hulk is when he is damaged, which means that you have to end your turn and let the enemy hurt him.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there's a simple solution to the Boss Rush scaling issue.
    Lock out 5 star.png characters entirely. Not a perfec solution but a simple one
  • BatteryHorse
    BatteryHorse Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    How does Hulk, Storm and KK form an infinite combo? The only way you get green from 3*Hulk is when he is damaged, which means that you have to end your turn and let the enemy hurt him.

That's basically it, yes. You let the enemy trigger Hulk's anger a couple times, filling the board with green. Once you've got 15-20 green you use 3Storm's green to destroy tiles and gather AP. As you gather yellow you can fire it to clear out some team-up tiles, and use KK's purple to create more green. You're literally using green to gather more green, so Storm is the only one doing damage. You want KK set to 5/5/3 so that you're getting max healing every time you use a power, so if your winfinite stalls everyone is at max health, and then you just get Hulk in front to take a couple hits and you're ready to start again. Ideally you want Hulk to be higher level than Storm, so he tanks a few colors.

On the last rounds of Boss Rush Phoenix would hit hulk 2 or 3 times on her first turn, so as long as you could survive those hits and make it to the second turn, you usually had a bunch of Anger's ready to fire giving you lots of green.

Since Storm's green is the only power doing damage it takes forever to finish a match, but it works. In particular, it really only works against bosses/enemies that hit hard enough to trigger Hulk's anger from a single match.
  • bbigler

That's basically it, yes. You let the enemy trigger Hulk's anger a couple times, filling the board with green. Once you've got 15-20 green you use 3Storm's green to destroy tiles and gather AP. As you gather yellow you can fire it to clear out some team-up tiles, and use KK's purple to create more green. You're literally using green to gather more green, so Storm is the only one doing damage. You want KK set to 5/5/3 so that you're getting max healing every time you use a power, so if your winfinite stalls everyone is at max health, and then you just get Hulk in front to take a couple hits and you're ready to start again. Ideally you want Hulk to be higher level than Storm, so he tanks a few colors.

On the last rounds of Boss Rush Phoenix would hit hulk 2 or 3 times on her first turn, so as long as you could survive those hits and make it to the second turn, you usually had a bunch of Anger's ready to fire giving you lots of green.

Since Storm's green is the only power doing damage it takes forever to finish a match, but it works. In particular, it really only works against bosses/enemies that hit hard enough to trigger Hulk's anger from a single match.

I see. I technically would not consider it a winfinite though because all the damage is not done in 1 turn. Nevertheless, it's not bad but strong bosses might kill Hulk in 1 turn.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    bbigler wrote:

I see. I technically would not consider it a winfinite though because all the damage is not done in 1 turn. Nevertheless, it's not bad but strong bosses might kill Hulk in 1 turn.

I don't understand. What team are you using that allows 1 turn wins?
  • ngoni
    ngoni Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Can't release a single patch without breaking more than they fix. No confidence at all they care enough to fix a horribly broken event. Run Civil War again.
  • bbigler

It's not that you win on the 1st turn, but after building up enough AP, you can start a cycle that is nearly endless and can kill any number of enemies. A lot of "winfinite" teams need about 4 - 8 turns before they explode and kill everyone in 1 turn.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    bbigler wrote:

It's not that you win on the 1st turn, but after building up enough AP, you can start a cycle that is nearly endless and can kill any number of enemies. A lot of "winfinite" teams need about 4 - 8 turns before they explode and kill everyone in 1 turn.

Oh OK. I think you're missing the mechanics of hulk/KK/Storm winfinite. Hulk provides green, but targeting purple also provides green. Once you have storm green up you can create a loop between yellow (shake), purple for more green, and green storm for more green, purple, yellow. It worked up until round 7 but 8 me often than not not enough turns would go by that could set it up properly. Some were also using Cyclops yellow to good effect. Didn't have 2* storm champed as I had sold her but she would've been way better for hulk/storm/KK as her green is far superior.
  • bbigler
    bbigler wrote:

Oh OK. I think you're missing the mechanics of hulk/KK/Storm winfinite. Hulk provides green, but targeting purple also provides green. Once you have storm green up you can create a loop between yellow (shake), purple for more green, and green storm for more green, purple, yellow. It worked up until round 7 but 8 me often than not not enough turns would go by that could set it up properly. Some were also using Cyclops yellow to good effect. Didn't have 2* storm champed as I had sold her but she would've been way better for hulk/storm/KK as her green is far superior.

What about using Thor instead of Hulk to produce green? Back, back, back in 2014 I had a winfinite with the old storm abilities using 2Thor, 2Widow and 1Storm.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    bbigler wrote:

What about using Thor instead of Hulk to produce green? Back, back, back in 2014 I had a winfinite with the old storm abilities using 2Thor, 2Widow and 1Storm.

You could, but Hulk is faster. When I found out about "stormfinite" in the last pvp season I ran a test using only that team on one of the pvp events. I never used a skip and had to take the team that offered the most points. I only lost twice, both times to level 220+ PX/Switch teams. My 3* champs were/are still <180 so I was usually beating teams well above my level. I had to heal Hulk after most matches and occasionally KK when I got impatient and started matching purple.

I was also a great target as this team stinks defensive wise but that wasn't the point.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Chipster22 wrote:
    I'd play again even without changes. If/when it became more work than fun I'd slack off. It is just a game.

Exactly what Chipster said here. I made it through to level 7, ran into Mega-Phoenix, saw I wouldn't get the third Peggy cover, and called it a weekend

Not every event has to be a guaranteed full-progression victory for every player. Sometimes, you (I) just get whupped. That's the way it be sometimes.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    bbigler wrote:
    thisone wrote:
    bbigler wrote:
    You had to get lucky and not allow the AI more than 1 turn on the first fight or risk a loss and your don't think that was really off the mark?
    I hit top progression and most of the final round was spent getting killed by round 2 of Phoenix. A "win" was getting enough TU with TU boosts to use whales and that usually took sacrificing two characters to pull off. That seems way off considering there was 2 other fights left.

Are you saying that you lost on the 2nd turn? I usually had about 5 turns to get things rolling with a winfinite before they fired off a power and downed a character. I used XFW, Magento, Loki with AP boosts. Next time I would try the traditional ProfX, GSBW and Switch.

5* players had horrible scaling where match damage alone would have torn your "solutions" to shreds. Phoenix was one shotting teams when she got a match 5. So yah second turn is not surprising.

I understand that the 5* scaling was ridiculous, but that scaling was broken before the Boss Rush event, so don't blame Boss Rush for 5* scaling problems. Boss Rush probably revealed how bad 5* scaling is, though. "thisone" didn't mention 5*s, so my solution may work for him or her.

5* scaling in general is more difficult than 4* scaling by far, especially if you have multiple 5* champed. However, in regular pve it's typically manageable with a few exceptions (I'm looking at you, 2 sentry/1 mindless node from Strange event). But boss rush level 5* scaling made regular 5* scaling look like a joke.

I know many in 4* land and even 3* land fared much better because abilities there buff much better and do more damage/hit points at those levels. I also know several 5* players that completed it by just killing their team over and over in wave 1 or wave 2 of Rd 8. That's not strategy, thats just buying health packs to win. Nothing enjoyable about that. Also...just read battery horse's post. 20-30 minutes per match to win! 6 times per cycle! Every 8 hours! Who the hell has 9 hours of time to play this game? I sure dont.