A Mostly Accurate 4* Ranking (Final Update 8/11/18)

Comments

• Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    When you get around to the unrated characters, I think Vulture belongs in the top 5.  He's probably my most used 4* now, and I frequently use him unboosted over many higher level boosted 4's.  He's a great battery, arguably the best special tile remover, and can do serious damage with green when he's boosted.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    It's been a while so I cruised through a few characters again, thanks for the rankings and efforts.

I vote to move Carol above Red Hulk and Punisher Max, but I understand the current ranking rationale.
    Gotta move up Ironheart and Gamora a bit IMO. Love Wasp and Thoress but they might tick down a few. 
    Looking forward to how the new/unrated characters will be fitting in. Vulture and Rogue are sure to shake things up a bit. 
    Quick note worth mentioning on Vulture, which a lot of alliance mates did not know: his blue actually gains the AP of the special tiles destroyed. This can be huge against characters that spam CD's/specials on colors you can gain AP from. 

Special mention: Eddie Brock Venom is the only 4* that deals direct damage from yellow and green active powers. So, this has surprisingly earned him a bit more play on my roster, for when Grocket happens to need a break for health regen for example.

Thanks!
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    But the issue with Eddie Venom is you can,
    1. Go standard 3/5/5, losing out on green damage.
    2. Go 5/3/5, maximizing active damage, but allowing the protect tiles to actually protect the enemy.
    3. Go 5/5/3, losing the biggest potential nuke Eddie has
    So he's not a particularly viable yellow/green damager

Note: Sandman also has yellow green damage, but in his case, yellow is just bad, awful design.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    zodiac339 said:
    But the issue with Eddie Venom is you can,
    1. Go standard 3/5/5, losing out on green damage.
    2. Go 5/3/5, maximizing active damage, but allowing the protect tiles to actually protect the enemy.
    3. Go 5/5/3, losing the biggest potential nuke Eddie has
    So he's not a particularly viable yellow/green damager

Note: Sandman also has yellow green damage, but in his case, yellow is just bad, awful design.
    Y'know, I noticed that Sandman's purple isn't quite as bad as I thought. It doesn't grab and shuffle non-yellow tiles, which makes it a bit better than it initially seems and speeds up yellow generation a fair bit. Yellow is def rubbish though if you don't have another protect generator.

Edit: changed "yellow" to "purple" because I haz the dumb and confused them as pointed out by @Rick OShay below.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Sandman's purple is the shuffle power, and it's pretty good.  His yellow produces protect tiles. It only does damage on the 2nd cast - or - if you have other protect tiles on the board to qualify the damage, then it removes some/most/all. Boo.
  • Steellatch
    Steellatch Posts: 84 Match Maker
    edited October 2017
    Jarvind said:
    Lockjaw is not the first non-human playable character in MPQ
    I mean, if you read the rest of that sentence, I immediately acknowledged that.

And Doom is human, he just wears the tin man mask because his face is disfigured.
    Silver Surfer, Thanos, Gamora, Groot. Humanoid species but not Human. Drax was human but a body from earths soil was created so thats a give or take. But Howard the Duck is not even humanoid. You only referenced Mutants. Howard is 100% non-human. The others depend on the take of humanoid being human or not.  
  • JaGo
    JaGo Posts: 93 Match Maker
    I put a like on the OP, but wanted to also say Thanks. I have found the information you put together very helpful.

-JaGo
  • talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2017
    Is there a more updated list available? :)

Would like to se the rankings on Lockjaw, Rogue and other never characters :)
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    talleman said:
    Is there a more updated list available? :)

Would like to se the rankings on Lockjaw, Rogue and other never characters :)
    Those won’t be rated for a while yet. I think even Vulture hasn’t been rated yet. I expect Rogue, Vulture, and Mockingbird to be considered top tier, Yondu to fall behind, but still with potential, and Lockjaw to be niche, only showing strength with specialized teams that focus on special tiles or charged tiles.
  • Jarvind
    edited October 2017
    Upbutt:

Added table of contents. Thanks @Tintaiwan!

- Vulture moved out of Not Yet Rated all the way up to #2, unseating the mighty Iceman. 
    - Carol moved up to #3, unseating Iceman again. Sorry Bobby.
    - Wasp & Punisher lowered slightly.
    - Rocket & Groot moved up to the top of Solid. I'm reluctant to place them in the top tier despite their ubiquity, as they're more or less shackled to another Guardians member - without one, they become pretty mediocre.
    - Bumped Nick Fury up a few spots post-rework. He's still so-so but at least his yellow is useful now.
    - Changed Coulson's recommended build to 5/5/3.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2017
    Jarvind said:
    Upbutt:

- Vulture moved out of Not Yet Rated all the way up to #2, unseating the mighty Iceman. 
    - Rocket & Groot moved up to the top of Solid. I'm reluctant to place them in the top tier despite their ubiquity, as they're more or less shackled to another Guardians member - without one, they become pretty mediocre.
    - Bumped Nick Fury up a few spots post-rework. He's still so-so but at least his yellow is useful now.
    Vulture nr 2 ? Wow! I'm not against it, just that I see Vulture more of a niche hero. I mean batteries are very high valued in MPQ, but for some reason I rather use C&D and Carol than Vulture & whoever he feeds. Maybe because he doesn't work well with Carol, and she is an  important part of my roster ? Or maybe because I usually play Grocket & Gamora in PvE. 
    Dunno, he is definitely very good at what he does and could be very dangerous if not focused, but I, personally, don't see him as nr 2. But maybe it's just me :smiley:
  • Jarvind
    edited October 2017
    D4Ni13 said:
    Jarvind said:
    Upbutt:

Vulture nr 2 ? Wow! I'm not against it, just that I see Vulture more of a niche hero. I mean batteries are very high valued in MPQ, but for some reason I rather use C&D and Carol than Vulture & whoever he feeds. Maybe because he doesn't work well with Carol, and she is an  important part of my roster ? Or maybe because I usually play Grocket & Gamora in PvE. 
    Dunno, he is definitely very good at what he does and could be very dangerous if not focused, but I, personally, don't see him as nr 2. But maybe it's just me :smiley:
    I haven't played with him a ton, admittedly, but being able to constantly AOE the other team and blow up their special tiles all while remaining nearly-invincible is pretty damn crazy. OR, you could use him as a beastly green/blue (and okay red) battery, also while remaining nearly invincible.

As always, it's open to revisions. Hulkbuster has gone from near the top to right at the middle of the pack since I started the list. Likewise, Agent Venom has slowly but surely been creeping upwards from almost-dead-last; dominant characters and strategies are always shifting.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vulture is definitely top 5, but better than Iceman?
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Anon said:
    Well, one thing is for sure, he is a hell of a partner to Iceman. He might be better since once he gets going is very hard to stop him, unless you kill his allies or deny him black. While Iceman can be countered more easily. That being said, Iceman is a well rounded hero, that could shine in every match, while Vulture may not be suitable for every fight. So interesting question. 
  • Jarvind
    Anon said:
    I gotta be honest, I love Iceman, but even on his boost weeks I just don't see him as that much of a threat anymore. He's easy to kill before he can get Whiteout off most of the time, and it's infrequent that he gets enough blue in a short enough time to get his punch off, so he's mostly just an annoyance.

Obviously I'm talking about when he's left on defense here, and most characters are blergh on defense - Vulture just happens to be set up so that he's relatively foolproof and plays well in the hands of the AI. I feel like Vulture wins on O too, though - his green and blue may not hit as hard as Bobby's, but you're firing them way more often, while also nuking special tiles (including countdowns, hi there goons) and being airborne most of the time. 

The only areas where Bobby wins outright are his lengthy stun and ability to drain red - both great abilities, but weighing them against each other I just feel like Vulture is more universally useful. Iceman is still really high up there - only three characters are currently ranked higher, which is no mean feat. He's just falling behind the power creep, as all characters are wont to do sooner or later.

Next revision might see Carol unseating Peggy as #1. Prepare your body.

• bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Poor FalCap is so bad he's not even in the table of contents. :(
  • Jarvind
    bigsmooth said:
    Poor FalCap is so bad he's not even in the table of contents. :(
    Fixed. I apparently saw something shiny and missed him when I was flagging all the character names as headers.
  • Mole IX
    Mole IX Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2017
    First off, thanks for all your work on this!  Super useful.

Now, for the nitpicking.  You have both Gwenpool and Invisible Woman ranked as 32...
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm curious to see how Mockingbird will be received. I just champed her the other day and found great success pairing her with character that have high-ish AP cost but deal decent damage.

• Jarvind
    I'm curious to see how Mockingbird will be received. I just champed her the other day and found great success pairing her with character that have high-ish AP cost but deal decent damage.

If I ever pull anything other than purple for her, I'll let you know. I've sold like five.