1.9 Release Notes (12/8/16)

Options

Comments

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Alve wrote:
    Regarding Saheeli's 3rd - it has absolutely no synergy with her first two skills. The first two are all about constructs, the third suddenly forces you to add a vehicle if you want to ever use it. Please, change it to draw constructs. Feel free to nerf it if you feel you have to, but make it work as a theme. Or leave it as it is. It's useless to make pw's 1st skill work with Plants, 2nd with Zombies and 3rd with Birds. It's chaotic and its viability is dependent on too many factors. She has a constructs/artifacts theme. We should stick to it.
    A further idea is to make Saheeli's 3rd ability fetch "constructs or vehicles". Of course, this may be overpowered... but I do like the idea of her having more versatility and synergy between her abilities. This would also make her not forever tied to a particular set, while still giving her just as strong a link to Kaladesh for players who want to build decks with those cards.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Volrak wrote:
    Alve wrote:
    Regarding Saheeli's 3rd - it has absolutely no synergy with her first two skills. The first two are all about constructs, the third suddenly forces you to add a vehicle if you want to ever use it. Please, change it to draw constructs. Feel free to nerf it if you feel you have to, but make it work as a theme. Or leave it as it is. It's useless to make pw's 1st skill work with Plants, 2nd with Zombies and 3rd with Birds. It's chaotic and its viability is dependent on too many factors. She has a constructs/artifacts theme. We should stick to it.
    A further idea is to make Saheeli's 3rd ability fetch "constructs or vehicles". Of course, this may be overpowered... but I do like the idea of her having more versatility and synergy between her abilities. This would also make her not forever tied to a particular set, while still giving her just as strong a link to Kaladesh for players who want to build decks with those cards.

20 loyalty pts to deploy 4 Hulks...yup...NOT ever going to happen. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ridfrenzy wrote:
    You people aren't asking the big questions....

Will Season's Past finally be bug free?

^^ that is a big question!

I support this. Still at ZERO usage for mastery for my SP. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZW2007- wrote:

And yes I have Saheeli and no I didn't get her for free. When they announced the event as a limited time exclusivity, I grinded my way to gold so I had a slightly higher chance of finishing high enough to earn her. Then I spent three days playing the longest event ever to earn her. And then after they said it was a one-time only event, they went and had two more events that were shorter than the first one (and whatever, I'm glad they did more events for more people to get her but I don't like when they say one thing and do another - one-time only should mean one-time only, not three times.).

I agree that they shouldn't have gone back on their word and gave another two events for saheeli. That was a grueling 3 day event, and the fact that the other 2 events were 2 days only was just a slap in the face.

But by your measurement, no one is playing the game for free, and you know that's not the argument anyone is making when they say they are playing a free game.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:
    ridfrenzy wrote:

Is this an OS dependent bug?

I've been using SP in my decks for over a month and never seen the bugs. At least for my android device, they seem to have fixed it.
  • alextfish
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with this. Don't buy her if you don't like a flavor PW. If you already have her... You got her for free and she gave you months of good play as a top tier PW. And she probably still will for months to come. **** is up with the complaints?
    Sad to say, she really wasn't anywhere near top tier for me. Without a few key mythics like Olivia, TSN, Harness the Storm or Day's Undoing, she basically did nothing until you ramped to ultimate. Gold PWs are expensive to level up, and with her first and second abilities basically useless without Olivia, she was only useful as a way to tutor out supports late-game. And even then, only reliable if you restrict to 1-2 supports in your deck, which means you can't use mana ramp, which makes getting the loyalty for the ultimate very slow, which means you can't rely on using your Goggles or whatever you tutor out in the early/mid game.

So no, she's been gathering dust since I earned her - very sadly, because I love Kaladesh and I love Saheeli's personality. It's such a pity her middle ability doesn't do something like her paper card does, copying/reinforcing a creature.

I suppose the problem with not being able to use mana ramp and still use her ultimate is going away with this silly Vehicles errata. Sadly also so is the support-tutoring power that made me want to use her in the first place. icon_e_sad.gif

Needing to open one of 4 rares or a mythic from a specific set to be able to use her ultimate is pretty disappointing. I doubt I'll open them in my first few boxes. I guess probably I'll eventually get one of them in a free booster in 6 months' time.

I guess it'll be nice to have a way to turn on Energize/Overload built into a planeswalker, though I really don't like these PWs with set-specific mechanics.

The one thing that mitigates that is that now she will at least be usable in 2-3 kinds of deck. A Vehicles deck for those who open any Vehicles, an Energize/Overload deck, and a Thopters/Constructs deck. Which is better than Jace2's 1 single pigeonholed deck.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    I've been using SP in my decks for over a month and never seen the bugs. At least for my android device, they seem to have fixed it.

You've obviously been lucky to some greater or lesser degree. Ive lost games in 2 events revently after being assured by people whose opinions I trust that SP is fine now, and its frozen. I'm on android too.

I haven't been able to determine exactly what's causing SP to crash, but one good way to it seems to be to play it with a werewolf in an event that you're trying to do well in.
  • ridfrenzy
    ridfrenzy Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:

No it is a very specific bug, if you have a transformed werewolf in your graveyard you freeze if SP tries to return it.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    **** is up with the complaints?

One might argue that those complaints (or 'feedback', as we might call it) about MTGPQ are being posted in the correct place, this being a forum about MTGPQ.

The value of your own feedback, as ever, is less obvious.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:
    **** is up with the complaints?

One might argue that those complaints (or 'feedback', as we might call it) about MTGPQ are being posted in the correct place, this being a forum about MTGPQ.

The value of your own feedback, as ever, is less obvious.

There is no value in anyone's feedback. Not only have we not seen the next expansion which will open up the card pool, no one has ever even played with the new saheeli.

I get it. Saheeli is a favourite with many because she can be so strong. The changes will break my saheeli deck too. But you guys are bashing it before you've even seen the new expansion at work. That's just unfair.

You've had one day to absorb the information on a card you will only play tomorrow. Couldn't wait a day to try it before complaining?
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't think the complaints about SR are justified. The game is meant to have a moving meta and PWs have classically had synergy with the set they are released in. A few are evergreen, but the actual SR is certainly not.

I am excited to try to new version and looking forward to some cool energy related overcharge decks.
  • murtagon
    murtagon Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    ridfrenzy wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

No it is a very specific bug, if you have a transformed werewolf in your graveyard you freeze if SP tries to return it.

This used to be the case and 100% reproducible however it no longer is 100% reproducible. I now play with SP in my WW deck. I have played SP under the following scenarios.
    When no WW is in graveyard
    When a WW that was killed in daylight form is in graveyard and no WW is on the board
    When a WW that was killed in daylight form is in graveyard and a daylight WW is on the board
    When a WW that was killed in daylight form is in graveyard and a moonlight WW is on the board
    When a WW that was killed in moonlight form is in graveyard and no WW is on the board
    When a WW that was killed in moonlight form is in graveyard and a daylight WW is on the board
    When a WW that was killed in moonlight form is in graveyard and a moonlight WW is on the board

None of these triggered the SP freeze - this testing was done prior to an event - to give me some level of comfort to play SP in a WW deck again and repeated over the course of the last two events.

I am using iOS. So there is still some freeze out there related to SP but it does not appear to be specifically tied to SP WW interaction.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    babar3355 wrote:
    I don't think the complaints about SR are justified. The game is meant to have a moving meta and PWs have classically had synergy with the set they are released in. A few are evergreen, but the actual SR is certainly not.

I am excited to try to new version and looking forward to some cool energy related overcharge decks.

Paper magic has a moving meta because sets rotate out of standard. This game is not that game. Paper planeswalkers do have synergy with the set they are released in but they still work in future sets until they rotate out of standard.

I don't think I've seen a single person complain about the change of her first ability. Energy and overcharge look like they will be fun as long as all the new visual effects on the board don't destroy my phone. Her second ability was and is still worthless. I don't even care about changing her from summoning supports to summoning vehicles. I do care that all the vehicle cards look terrible except the mediocre rares and the good mythic. I'll take Ohboy's advice and wait before complaining more but how many of you honestly expect to open or win those few usable vehicles anytime soon? They took a fully functional planeswalker and now nerfed her until those of us that have her can get the cards required to unlock her full potential.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,243 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    blacklotus wrote:
    ridfrenzy wrote:

They haven't, I crashed last event with SP and Ulrich. I'm Android, Galaxy S6.
  • madwren
    Options
    murtagon wrote:
    ridfrenzy wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

This used to be the case and 100% reproducible however it no longer is 100% reproducible. I now play with SP in my WW deck. I have played SP under the following scenarios.
    When no WW is in graveyard
    When a WW that was killed in daylight form is in graveyard and no WW is on the board
    When a WW that was killed in daylight form is in graveyard and a daylight WW is on the board
    When a WW that was killed in daylight form is in graveyard and a moonlight WW is on the board
    When a WW that was killed in moonlight form is in graveyard and no WW is on the board
    When a WW that was killed in moonlight form is in graveyard and a daylight WW is on the board
    When a WW that was killed in moonlight form is in graveyard and a moonlight WW is on the board

None of these triggered the SP freeze - this testing was done prior to an event - to give me some level of comfort to play SP in a WW deck again and repeated over the course of the last two events.

I am using iOS. So there is still some freeze out there related to SP but it does not appear to be specifically tied to SP WW interaction.

Possibly, but mine occurred at the point it was trying to recur spells, and I did have a transformed Ulrich in the graveyard.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZW2007- wrote:
    babar3355 wrote:

Paper magic has a moving meta because sets rotate out of standard. This game is not that game. Paper planeswalkers do have synergy with the set they are released in but they still work in future sets until they rotate out of standard.

I don't think I've seen a single person complain about the change of her first ability. Energy and overcharge look like they will be fun as long as all the new visual effects on the board don't destroy my phone. Her second ability was and is still worthless. I don't even care about changing her from summoning supports to summoning vehicles. I do care that all the vehicle cards look terrible except the mediocre rares and the good mythic. I'll take Ohboy's advice and wait before complaining more but how many of you honestly expect to open or win those few usable vehicles anytime soon? They took a fully functional planeswalker and now nerfed her until those of us that have her can get the cards required to unlock her full potential.

I honestly don't use her ult that much anyway. I play a control sphinx of final word deck and just run out her thopters. I did use her ult a lot in the Emrakul event where you needed to cast 8 supports
  • madwren
    Options
    babar3355 wrote:
    ZW2007- wrote:
    babar3355 wrote:

I honestly don't use her ult that much anyway. I play a control sphinx of final word deck and just run out her thopters. I did use her ult a lot in the Emrakul event where you needed to cast 8 supports

I'm not trying to pick on you, but it's funny how many people saying the change is fine are those that don't actually use her ultimate.

Regardless of personal usage, this is a severely limiting change.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    murtagon wrote:
    This used to be the case and 100% reproducible however it no longer is 100% reproducible.

Try it with a reinforced transformed WW in your GY. That's what used to crash it for me.

I'd test it now but the game is down.

edit: Was able to successfully (?) freeze the game by casting SP twice after a reinforced, transformed WW was put into my GY.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Updated to final release notes
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby wrote:
    *Updated to final release notes

Did anything change or was everything just confirmed as final?