They Managed to Make it Worse

Comments

• snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    For an Agent Venom, this is poop. For a Peggy, I'd do it. All depends on the prize.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    These vaults have been a non-issue for me. Invisible Woman? Spider-Woman? Agent Venom? I haven't given even a half-second thought to spending HP to get these characters. And it doesn't help that these vaults only have one 4*.

I get the feeling these vaults are an experiment, meant to answer the question, "what will players spend HP on?" Don't spend HP on them and they'll have to make them better.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:
    Hey everyone. Just wanted to let you know that I reached out to the development team to inquire about these changes.
    They're currently trying out some different things with the weekly Limited Vaults, so you might see some changes until the right solution is found.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but thank you for your patience and understanding.
    How exactly did they expect the removal of one option and increasing the cost of the remaining ones to be received? This is the type of idea that wouldn't make it past the pitch phase in most organizations
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I usually don't get into a tizzy about this whether these purchases are a good value or not... but...

... to raise the price on the exact same item without any justification whatsoever is pretty much universally met with distain.

I honestly don't care about whether these vaults exist or not. I've tried a couple and passed on a couple. I'm agnostic on them. However, this is very disappointing, nonetheless. I'm not going to buy from this vault AND I have a bad taste in my mouth.

Honestly, it makes me wonder if I'll renew my V.I.P. next month.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    fmftint wrote:
    Brigby wrote:
    Hey everyone. Just wanted to let you know that I reached out to the development team to inquire about these changes.
    They're currently trying out some different things with the weekly Limited Vaults, so you might see some changes until the right solution is found.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but thank you for your patience and understanding.
    How exactly did they expect the removal of one option and increasing the cost of the remaining ones to be received? This is the type of idea that wouldn't make it past the pitch phase in most organizations

They knew good and well it would be received poorly here, but that's not the point. The point is to see how people spend. And if people don't spend on this, then the next one probably isn't going to look like this one. It might go back to the previous structure, or they might try something different again.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:

Thanks once more for the quick reply.
    I'm curious though...were you blindsided by this as well? I know you probably can't answer that but I feel a change of this nature would be something you'd have wanted to announce on the boards. And if you *were* blindsided by this, I think you should add that to the list of issues the forum has. If even our community manager is caught off guard by sudden inexplicable changes than that's only helping to create a player/developer divide.

How are you expected to help us if they're not even telling *you* what they're up to?

I hope you don't see this post as an attack on your competence or anything of the sort, it's honestly not meant to be. It's more concern that the communication issue runs deeper than we thought...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards

They knew good and well it would be received poorly here, but that's not the point. The point is to see how people spend. And if people don't spend on this, then the next one probably isn't going to look like this one. It might go back to the previous structure, or they might try something different again.
    You don't see what people are willing to spend by removing an option. Remove an option and keep the price of the remaining static or raise the price on all 3 options. But not remove one and raise the rest. Like most other tests Demiurge has done they introduce too many variables at once
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly, it makes me wonder if I'll renew my V.I.P. next month.

I just renewed mine and this makes me wish I hadn't.
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    These people do not care about your gripes. Want to know how I know? They won't even fix the bug where we lose health due to the game crashing.
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Pretty sure they're still testing, they're just not calling it as such.

The first vault was 4* icon_deadpool.png Deadpool, second icon_captainamerica.png Falcap, then icon_invisiblewoman.png IW. Falcap and IW was clearly low tier and the devs wanted to see how popular they'd be. Then SpiderWoman_icon.PNG spiderwoman, which was relatively new but mid-term. This week is clearly a test on how people will spend on a new but low tier character, but at a higher price due to it being new.

I'm very confident that one of these days, if it was a Peggy vault, a majority of players with enough HP would clear out the vault trying to get her cover. If the devs are being particularly nasty they'd charge the higher price for her too. Or bring back the single cover purchase but maintain the higher price.

If you're a scientist/statistician there are so many variables that can be tested here. I'm pretty sure they're going to try out many, many types of vaults before they eventually settle on one that would be good for bottom line but also acceptable to the community.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    For every one of us on the internet complaining, there are probably TEN OTHERS who are buying each and every single one of those ridiculous, close fisted, choking the purse strings vaults out.

So.............they still win. And they always will.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler
    I am hoping they don't see a single HP spent for this though as it is just crummy even if it is a test. Really I wish I could just force them to pick what I think is the most logical one icon_razz.gif

the last one wasn't horrible but at 150 for 1, 1500 for 10 and 3000 for 20 there wasn't any reason to not do 1 by 1 which is rather stupid for tempting people to spend more.

The best way to do these would likely be as follows.

make them 21 vaults and always give people one free pull (making them still 20 but every gets a free token when they run which no one will be unhappy about).

make the 1 pull cost 250, but with a 100 daily. (run over 5 days instead of 8)
    make the 10 pull cost 2000
    and make the 20 pull cost 3000.

people who only want to spend a little would get 6 pulls with the daily 100 and have a chance to get the 4 star. (5 100hp pulls and the free token)
    people who want to try to save a little could do the daily pulls and then do the 10 pull at the end if they didn't get what they want. (leaving them good odds to get what they want as they would get 16/21 pulls if it runs for 5 days but not perfect odds but it's the risk you take for saving 500hp over the 20 pull)
    and people who just want the cover can do the 20 pull right away for 3k. (I mean that is $20 worth of HP that should get you the vault)

the low entry cost would likely get anyone who is interested in the cover to at least spend 500HP on 5 pulls unless they get lucky early on... and it would in general make people happy *shrugs*
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bought single pulls here and there until I got the Spider-Woman cover on pull #7. I don't have **** Venom covered yet, so I figured I'd do the same this time. But I'm not gonna dump 2k HP on the chance at one more cover for that loser. And honestly, I'm not gonna dump 2k HP on any vault that doesn't have something really valuable like a grip of CP or a legendary token.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    An interesting idea which I'd like to run past you guys. How would you feel about it if single purchases unlocked after buying 10 packs, and only after that? Would this be a compromise you would accept?

This way 4* covers cant be achieved after single pulls but can still be achieved on the 11th (obviously if you did get that cover in the 10 pack you wouldn't need to purchase anymore if the 4 was all you were after). Would you be more tempted this way?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    An interesting idea which I'd like to run past you guys. How would you feel about it if single purchases unlocked after buying 10 packs, and only after that? Would this be a compromise you would accept?

This way 4* covers cant be achieved after single pulls but can still be achieved on the 11th (obviously if you did get that cover in the 10 pack you wouldn't need to purchase anymore if the 4 was all you were after). Would you be more tempted this way?

Absolutely not. Single pulls, from the start, or nothing.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    They clearly dont want you to have that though, hence why they've removed it. Seems a fair compromise to me if the only other option is going to be to buy 2 10 packs.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    So... Does this mean the community are being treated as unpaid (or, egads, paying) beta testers again?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    To me, winning any 4* is only worth around 1000 HP. Since I'm chasing 5*s, then winning a 4* doesn't do much except get me slightly closer to a few CP or an LT.

So if you charge me 2000 HP for the *chance* to win a 4*, then forget about it.

Sure, with single pulls, I might need to buy all tokens to win the 4*, but at least the odds are in my favor, and there's a good chance that I won't need to buy all of them.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    pabasa130 wrote:
    Pretty sure they're still testing, they're just not calling it as such.

If that guess is true, then calling out would prevent this level of rage.

Communication is important.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    pheregas wrote:
    So... Does this mean the community are being treated as unpaid (or, egads, paying) beta testers again?
    This isn't a beta test though, it's a marketing test. Which 1) Means it has to be run against the player base for any meaningful results, and 2) Explains why it seems illogical to many of us.