I snapped.

Options

Comments

• Eddiemon wrote:
    So long and good luck.

*sniff* And I never got to call him Rasta Fliptop. . .
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Oof, super disappointing. You were one of the best! Good luck with everything.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The key to these games is to have self-control and realise new characters are the carrots to keep you coming back. My simple advice, choose 6 3*'s and make 2 seperate teams, these are your core 6 characters, until you get them up to the full covers and lvl's don't worry about anything else. If there are tourney's with those guys in them, then those are the ones you go full on for. Once you get 6 3*'s super leveled getting the rest will come.
  • I wouldn't mind if there was slightly less emphasis on playing on the last refresh, but it's not clear to me how that can be done. Maybe reduce the rubberband modifier as the final refresh begins?
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    Nemek wrote:
    Oof, super disappointing. You were one of the best! Good luck with everything.
    As is often the case, there is nothing I want to say that Nemek has not already said. Farewell, Eddiemon. You'll be missed.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    Over the weekend I was look at my IPad as it called to me to hit refreshes and I realised I resented the demands on my time and to play to a schedule which includes 4am and 4pm as drop dead times that never rotate and just interfere with my work and sleep. So I'm done.

Thanks everyone, it has been fun, even arguing with people.

So long and good luck.

I just have to say: my, my what a sharp contrast with the attitude you gave me before in the simulator event thread!

Did the pressure for winning all those high-tier cover rewards finally get to you? You said it was easy if you committed yourself to it and knew the metagame's rules. You thought of the complaints that I and others voiced in that thread as the whining of freeloaders that didn't want to commit time or real money towards the game. Oh the irony.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The game is definite "Too hardcore for a casual game". Take a look at the alliance drama, haha.

Really, having to schedule a block of time just so I can play competitively is really oddball for a game like this. There's so much gain in the last 3 hours of any event (that's when PvE gives the most points, and when PvP actually matters).
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm off on a new project for the next month which is one of the catalysts for this. Then in June/July I'll be taking 6 weeks off to watch the world cup so I may have some time then.

I'll probably drift through here from time to time and check PMs if anyone needs to get in touch.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:
    I just have to say: my, my what a sharp contrast with the attitude you gave me before in the simulator event thread!

Did the pressure for winning all those high-tier cover rewards finally get to you? You said it was easy if you committed yourself to it and knew the metagame's rules. You thought of the complaints that I and others voiced in that thread as the whining of freeloaders that didn't want to commit time or real money towards the game. Oh the irony.

No, I still think you suck at the game. No real contrast there at all. And it is easy. I just decided not to commit myself anymore.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eddiemon wrote:
    _RiO_ wrote:

No, I still think you suck at the game. No real contrast there at all. And it is easy. I just decided not to commit myself anymore.

Weeks (or rather; months) back I reached the same conclusion that you reached now. The difference is you quit over it and I atleast try to voice the problems the game has in an effort to make it playable again without having your off-hours life revolve around it.

Yet somehow that makes me suck at the game. Right...
  • Katai wrote:
    Really, having to schedule a block of time just so I can play competitively is really oddball for a game like this. There's so much gain in the last 3 hours of any event (that's when PvE gives the most points, and when PvP actually matters).

Seriously. The whole point of a mobile game should be that you can play it whenever convenient. This whole thing where you have to play at specific times for maximum benefit is really discouraging.

BTW, is that Eddiemon of RC racing fame? If so, you should be practicing racing instead anyway icon_e_wink.gif
  • I am sad as helllllllll to see you go (mostly because I'm in your alliance) but would like to highly recommend the 8 hour shields for pvp events, which basically let you choose your own, saner ending times (and generally are paid for by your winnings).

Good luck on your journey.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    Thanks all. I'm off on a new project for the next month which is one of the catalysts for this. Then in June/July I'll be taking 6 weeks off to watch the world cup so I may have some time then.

I'll probably drift through here from time to time and check PMs if anyone needs to get in touch.

It's not like there isn't plenty of time to play MPQ during a soccer game... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Microtom wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:

It's not like there isn't plenty of time to play MPQ during a soccer game... icon_rolleyes.gif

Or between. It's just 2 matches a day.
  • Take a break. Give it 5 days. See if anything more to your liking is out there. If you don't find anything, c'mon back.

We''ll still be here.

icon_e_wink.gif
  • First off, I know it takes a lot of time and effort to consistently get the top rewards, but it's not THAT bad. I don't think there's really an argument to be made that you always have to get up in the middle of the night in order to win 3* covers. You just might not get every reward for every event.

I realize that posting topics about quitting over some detail of the game are a regular occurrence, but it always sounds to me like a variation of "It's inconvenient for me to beat everyone else, so I hate this game now."
    The tone always seems to suggest that the game itself is forcing some harm onto the poster.

Now, if you like the game so much that you are playing too much and it's causing issues with your personal life; then by all means, take a break. It's just a game, and life is more important.
    I just don't get the whole mentality of "I hate this game because it makes me play it all the time."
  • Actually, the problem here is more the fact that for European players it's a real pain in the buttocks to play in the finishing hours of events, when everything is on the line and the points get bigger for certain players.

Honestly, it's idiotic: we're either asleep for the 4am one or at work for the 4pm - why not have a variable time, if not chooseable, then at least set on your geographical position?
  • Shadow
    Shadow Posts: 155
    Options
    SteveS wrote:
    Seriously. The whole point of a mobile game should be that you can play it whenever convenient. This whole thing where you have to play at specific times for maximum benefit is really discouraging.

There are 2 conflicting ideas here. If you want to play it when it is convenient, then don't worry about getting the rewards. The game can still be played casually and you can grow slowly by getting the tokens at 300 points for PVP. If you're not bothered about the rewards, then playing at specific times for maximum benefit doesn't really matter. On the other hand, if you want to get the best rewards, then you're thinking of being competitive. In that case, playing at those hours becomes part of the package.

Anyway, MPQ is really not as bad as many other mobile multi-player games. During the 10 days of a PVE, you can actually not play for many hours at a go and still be competing for the top prizes. For PVP, there is always the concept of shielding for when you can't play so you don't lose a bunch of points. Try comparing that to Marvel War of Heroes or even X-men: Battle of the Atom. Those games are so much more demanding. And those are only mobile games with the Marvel branding. There are other mobile games that demand as much. MPQ is a walk in the park compared to those.

If you want a mobile game that can be played at your own convenience and still get "maximum benefit" then forget about multi-player altogether. Just play some solo player game. Easy as that.
  • Rationally that all makes sense. When you go oooh! Hulks, me want, and join a tourney you can usually run up to a great placement early, then get beaten down/surpassed after a while you start to feel the sunk cost phenomenon and before you know it you are up in the middle of the night because you can't seem to let it go and you WILL win this one...

Then you tell yourself, why did I do that this game isnt worth all that. Then the next event rolls around and you start it all over again for some patches.
  • I stopped playing for about 4 days due to school work and then playing Diablo 3. Surprisingly freeing. Back on the wagon for Fearless Defenders...maybe.