I snapped.

Options
Eddiemon
Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Over the weekend I was look at my IPad as it called to me to hit refreshes and I realised I resented the demands on my time and to play to a schedule which includes 4am and 4pm as drop dead times that never rotate and just interfere with my work and sleep. So I'm done.

Thanks everyone, it has been fun, even arguing with people.

So long and good luck.

Comments

• Eddiemon wrote:
    Over the weekend I was look at my IPad as it called to me to hit refreshes and I realised I resented the demands on my time and to play to a schedule which includes 4am and 4pm as drop dead times that never rotate and just interfere with my work and sleep. So I'm done.

Thanks everyone, it has been fun, even arguing with people.

So long and good luck.

Having the hardest time understanding what your talking about... Sorry you had a hard(?) time. Good luck to you as well Eddiemon.
  • Good luck fella. Games like this are very demanding if you want to play consistently competitively - I'm off to enjoy another day after a sleep disturbed at 4am to make sure I'm still in the top 10!
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You know, you could just cut back a little and _not_ play until all hours in the morning? I mean, yes, you'll probably lose a few covers, but the sanity is worth it.

Also, if this is farewell, I'm sad to see you go. Either way, safe journey, wherever you end up.
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    Give it a rest for a week or two, play less competitively. Who knows, you might actually resent not getting up at 4am for that little bit of extra thrill. Besides, what are all those people you've been arguing with going to do without you? icon_e_wink.gif
  • I've cut back a bit over the past couple of weeks (mainly thanks to Dark Souls) and I've been thankful for it. I've missed out on some PvP stuff, but by abusing rubberbanding I've been able to stay really competitive in the Simulator. I've stopped playing as defensively as I used to (with Spidey) and have gone all out attack to win matches as fast as possible. It's worked well and I think it's the way forward for me. Could be worth trying yourself Eddie.
  • The Finn
    The Finn Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Agree with the other posters, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. There should be a happy medium where you find your sweet spot between time committed and amount of satisfaction you get out of playing (and engaging with the community). Hope you're able to find that and stay contributing, cheers.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While I agree with those who say you can play this more casually and still enjoy it, and I'm certainly more of a "firmcore" than hardcore player, the slower progression of casual play won't work for everyone. Some people will get drawn back to the hardcore cycle no matter what they do. If this describes you, and it negatively impacts your enjoyment of the game or real life, well, some people (not necessarily anyone in this thread) are probably better off walking away.
  • The PVE with those refresh cycles completely destroys life.

A good system would allow way more flexibility on when someone plays without significant impact on performance.

The way it is now indeed leaving for good makes perfect sense. The more intensive was someone in the more...
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Doesn't rubberbanding help with avoiding that situation? My friend has barely touched the Sim at all and is comfortably in top 50. His bracket isn't that competitive but if it were he'd only benefit from the rubberbanding more. I haven't been able to play optimally despite knowing how to, I'm just unable to and obviously not sacrificing my sleep time for the game (I'm okay with sacrificing some work time though lol). Still going to land top 75 or better thanks to the rubberbanding.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't quite understand the reasoning. Playing the game doesn't mean you have to play obsessive compulsively. I would never even dream of getting up at 4am just to get a better placement. So I might lose out sometimes, but there's still plenty of occasions where I can rank high...IMO it's much more fun that way instead of seeing the game as a duty that you just have to do.
  • I understand, I get a bit addicted to games like this. Knowing I can place well, cutting back a little makes me feel like I should be back in there doing your best. Putting in that much time can make you feel like you are neglecting other things. I have definitely felt more pressure since alliances came out and may also reach that point where cutting back is not fun, and playing is not fun so it becomes time to be done.

I get it, good luck
  • I don't quite understand the reasoning. Playing the game doesn't mean you have to play obsessive compulsively. I would never even dream of getting up at 4am just to get a better placement. So I might lose out sometimes, but there's still plenty of occasions where I can rank high...IMO it's much more fun that way instead of seeing the game as a duty that you just have to do.

It's just human nature though, some people can and some can't. Personally I have an inner compulsion to be competitive in gaming that I don't have in everyday life. That compulsion made me raid top tier in WoW while trying to maintain a home life and compete at the highest levels in Rage of Bahamut while having a demanding job and family (hell, I even made good money out of it!). Even with the best intentions, some people can't stop themselves from being a hardcore player... I'm certainly one of them. It's either play 100% or don't play, with no middle ground.
  • Damn, another one bites the dust icon_e_sad.gif
  • The game is a treadmill. At some point everyone is going to 'jump off'.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    The game is a treadmill. At some point everyone is going to 'jump off'.

Initially I didn't believe that. Now I do.

I'm officially this close to ragequitting now.
  • yeah almost all event end times are really unfair to EU players.
    if u have a job or school there's no way you can compete in most events
  • yeah almost all event end times are really unfair to EU players.
    if u have a job or school there's no way you can compete in most events

You need to append this to include 'or don't have a sleeping disorder'. But yeah... its pretty rough over this side of the Atlantic.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They should put you in brackets in your local time zone(s) with other players from those time zones and give them an 11pm end time. That way you always know when your PVE or PVP ends.

Bonus would be to have two separate tournaments. One "local" and one "global".

That said, I feel your pain. It's not as bad for me, my end times are 1am and 1pm, so I can usually do some rubberbanding in the last hour and get to the top. Unfortunately that won't be the case today as I have a lunch date with my wife and kid, but family first and I don't really need the cover that badly.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    It can be pretty rough on people on the US left coast too. The 9am/9pm refreshes are brutal to my life cycle as well. Its either right after I start work, or just as I wrap up getting the kids to bed. I have to admit, I loved those 9am EST finishes as it allowed me to stay up a bit late for a push, then grab a 8hr shield and actually place well. At least if they rotate it would screw everyone differently each time (yay for variety!).
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wait I lied. I really was looking forward to the Steve Rogers cover(s). Maybe I can sneak in a few matches to rubberband myself before the event ends.