Constructive feedback on new special vaults

Mr_Sinister
Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
I want to like these vaults, I really do, but I just can't get there. 14 2* in a 20 item vault and only 1 4* cover is just not worth it.
At this point we have a lot of 4*and most of the player base won't champ even half of them, so why not include 1 cover of each color of the 4* in the vault? ISO cost is still going to be a massive barrier for most so it's not like it'll destroy the end game, and you'll make higher sales which is the goal.

I see the vaults as missed opportunities on both ends right now and I don't think increasing the item value slightly to make it worth buying is hard or outrageous.

Comments

• BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    There aren't many opportunities to get a 5% chance of pulling a specific 4* cover. If you need the cover to finish off a character, the vaults are a good option. If you don't, they're ignorable.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    They should be vaults of new characters. No one wants a Flaptain cover. I can't imagine anyone is spending 3000hp for this. Spider-woman red cover? I'd probably buy it since 4* covers used to be worth 2500hp but you got exactly what you wanted.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I open them because due to all of the positive changes, I have a decent amount of heropointsbig.png available, and I just can't resist spending them on tokens! So far, I've been pretty lucky. I won the XDP after 7 draws and the sam after 5 draws.

If it was a cover I didn't need, such as a 6th cover of a non-championed, I wouldn't do it. But I can always use more champion levels (or power levels of a non-champed character with less than 5 of that color). So, why not.

Sure, if I didn't do this and daily vault specials, I'd have an additional thousand+ gold per week, but why save? Resources are meant to be spent, not hoarded icon_cool.gif At some point, I'll save a bit, but I'm living in this crazy economy.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Flaptain yellow, no LT, and a few 2* covers. Where's my wallet? I gotta have this. icon_lol.gif

Come on D3, at least try to make it enticing.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    We used to be able to directly purchase 4* covers for 2500 HP, and many people took advantage of that ability. So 3k HP for a known cover and some bonus goodies isn't outside the realm of viability - it's just only random covers, and only once every week.

The difference though is back in the day there was value in being able to drop 20k HP to max a brand new character and dominate their event, whereas now spending 3k for a single cover offers much less value.

Add an LT though and I'm spending 3k every week on it.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I applaud that the devs are trying to find new ways to make specific 4*s attainable.

I jeer them for making that way to be a ridiculous cash grab.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    We used to be able to directly purchase 4* covers for 2500 HP, and many people took advantage of that ability. So 3k HP for a known cover and some bonus goodies isn't outside the realm of viability - it's just only random covers, and only once every week.

The difference though is back in the day there was value in being able to drop 20k HP to max a brand new character and dominate their event, whereas now spending 3k for a single cover offers much less value.

This is ultimately what I'm saying. Sweeten the pot just a little to give me a reason to buy it. As is it's just not enough.
  • Bondidude
    Bondidude Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    There aren't many opportunities to get a 5% chance of pulling a specific 4* cover. If you need the cover to finish off a character, the vaults are a good option. If you don't, they're ignorable.

Exactly.

So far I have pulled from both vaults and been fairly lucky. I got DP in 2 and Sam in 3. So for my 750 HP investment I have gotten 2 4* covers that are helping me build out my roster along with some 2* champ rewards. I'm pretty satisfied with that investment. If I didn't want/need those covers then I wouldn't pull them. If it got to a point where I still didn't have it after 5 or 6 pulls I'd probably say it's not in the cards for me and come back at a time when maybe I had stockpiled some more HP or just leave it be completely. It's not like the 20 pack is any cheaper than pulling them individually.

People act like you have to pull the entire vault to get the 4*, and while it's guaranteed you will, it's not necessarily the case. I'm happy to skip a few daily deals in vaults with 4x the number of items to increase my odds of getting a particular cover I want/need.
  • BlackSheep101
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    They should be vaults of new characters. No one wants a Flaptain cover. I can't imagine anyone is spending 3000hp for this. Spider-woman red cover? I'd probably buy it since 4* covers used to be worth 2500hp but you got exactly what you wanted.
    This confused me, too. At least there was a Deadpool event going on when his vault was released. Not sure why you'd make round two of what is probably a trial run of rotating 4* vaults a bottom tier character.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    If you don't like it, don't buy it! If enough people don't buy it, they'll change it. Economics at work!

Personally I think they're a waste of HP. But if there's a Peggy vault sometime I might change my tune. They'd probably have a better response if the characters featured were newer.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    They need to have these Special Vaults at the start of a PVE event that contains the Essential 4*. If this Vault had Kate Bishop, I would buy it so I have her essential for next Thick as Thieves. This is the second New Character Release in a row that I do not have the Essential 4*. Last one was Dr. Strange, I did not have Nova.

Even if I had the Essential 4* I would buy it to make them stronger because normally my 4* essentials only have a few covers so it becomes a 2v3 most of the time. Having a random 4* makes no sense.
  • Ram51
    Ram51 Posts: 117
    They need to have these Special Vaults at the start of a PVE event that contains the Essential 4*. If this Vault had Kate Bishop, I would buy it so I have her essential for next Thick as Thieves. This is the second New Character Release in a row that I do not have the Essential 4*. Last one was Dr. Strange, I did not have Nova.

Even if I had the Essential 4* I would buy it to make them stronger because normally my 4* essentials only have a few covers so it becomes a 2v3 most of the time. Having a random 4* makes no sense.

This is such a good idea that in hindsight you have to wonder how the devs did not think of this.
  • BlackSheep101
    Constructive feedback!
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2016
    This isn't a sustainable model.

There are 41 3 stars and you get guaranteed 1 a day, and can earn 1-3 from placement and tokens hand them out frequently, especially the new 2-3 star token., 2 per progression.

There are 40 4 stars, the best ways to get them is to get 1 per event, 1 of the 100 things in a vault, 1 per 5 days aiming for a 5 star and 1 per pvp event if your roster is strong enough to earn 1 4 star per event, stretched out through the rotation of the 40 4 stars.

1 cover isn't enough, 4 stars aren't mystical unicorns and need to stop being treated as such.

The 4 star rate needs to be a lot closer to 1 per day.

The special vaults?

We need to be able to earn them some how.

Make challenges,
    have a short boss battle
    bring back antman like events
    make 1 day subs

anything more than a lottery thats uses actual money, or currency for the slots of 4 stars that will continue to be released

The value prop of 3000 HP for 1 cover OR 3000 HP for the next 3 4 stars, is not that tough a decision to make
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Got to love it when the rich whine about the poor getting something for them.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    StarScream wrote:
    Got to love it when the rich whine about the poor getting something for them.

How is spending hundreds if not thousands of HP to get a single 4* something for the poor?
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vaults in general need to stop favoring old 4 stars. I can probably count on one hand seeing a recent (last 8 months) 4 star in a vault.

And sorry but 2500 HP for a single cover was too high back then so quoting it as some justification for lousy vaults today doesn't help a case.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Loved several special vault. But the last one is really meh.

Fun story with Special Captain America Anniversary Vault:
    I wanted to get my first Peggy cover. I had enough imcoin.png to buy a 10 pack. Done it, no luck, no peggy. As I started, I didn't want to be a waist, so I bought some imcoin.png to draw token one by one to get Peggy. Had a Peggy on the last token of the vault. And I just discovered that I need 1000 imcoin.png to open a new slot in my roaster. icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif
    Waited 13 days trying to grind imcoin.png , failed to get enough, bought again some imcoin.png to open the slot for Peggy.
    Now I learned. Don't spend imcoin.png on vault when you can't afford to open a new roaster slot. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmmm, didn't see the new Flaptain vault. His yellow would actually give me my 13th cover for my 3/5/4. But it still isn't worth it. I'd just assume wait til I draw it or he gets slotted into progression rewards.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526

Yup add an LT and I will spend on it. I've got excess hp from playing too much. I spent on the dr strange artifacts vault specifically for the LTs. Got all 3 with only 4000 hp.