SHIELD Signal Intercept is a good thing

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    And the moral of this thread is "Screw you. Got mine."

Good lord this has to be the most unpleasently smug opening post I've seen on these boards.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker

Good lord this has to be the most unpleasently smug opening post I've seen on these boards.

What's more concerning to me is the fact that 24+ people so far agree with it.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    elusive wrote:

What's more concerning to me is the fact that 24+ people so far agree with it.

I was reading his post and thought "Welp, this is pretty toxic and selfish, can't have gotten many upvo-.....24!?"
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry you guys think I'm a smug tinykitty. It annoyed me that so many people were complaining about the developers adding yet another source of player resources in a way that keeps the game profitable, which keeps it going for us all to enjoy. I compared this to a time when resources were truly scarce to try adding a little perspective to what I think are trivial complaints.

For the record, I haven't watched a single ad and I don't think that make me any less competitive with those who do so I don't empathize with the plight of the steam player. The fact is, this is a mobile game; it was designed for mobile devices and caters to those users. It's where the vast majority of players are and where the developers make their money. Without the mobile player base there wouldn't even be a steam version - it would have dried up long ago due to lack of funding support.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    I don't blame you guys for enjoying the rewards, they are pretty nice!

But why can't Steam players have something? Anything at all? Nothing but silence.

We all want to enjoy the rewards...when we see others progressing while we (steam players) get nothing from doing the same thing...it's not fun for us.
  • To summarize:

Demand what that other guy has = entitled, selfish, spoiled
    Fine with whatever you have = toxic, selfish, smug

sounds like we're all damned if you do/don't
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu wrote:
    Sorry you guys think I'm a smug tinykitty. It annoyed me that so many people were complaining about the developers adding yet another source of player resources in a way that keeps the game profitable, which keeps it going for us all to enjoy. I compared this to a time when resources were truly scarce to try adding a little perspective to what I think are trivial complaints.

For the record, I haven't watched a single ad and I don't think that make me any less competitive with those who do so I don't empathize with the plight of the steam player. The fact is, this is a mobile game; it was designed for mobile devices and caters to those users. It's where the vast majority of players are and where the developers make their money. Without the mobile player base there wouldn't even be a steam version - it would have dried up long ago due to lack of funding support.

If you want to handicap yourself go ahead, but anyone with even basic math skills can see that over time Steam players will not be at a "trivial" disadvantage. I play both platforms and what I earned in a week on mobile is mother tinykitty, tinykitty ridiculous.

To everyone reading this post: if anyone tries to tell you the rewards are trivial and steam players are not at a disadvantage they are flat out lying (or bad at math/ or ignore the ads and are oblivious).
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu, I've come to bargain! (Bonus points to anyone who's seen the Dr. Strange movie.)

While I agree that SHIELD Signal Intercept is inherently a good thing -- additional revenue stream for the game, more rewards for mobile users watching ads or subscribing to VIP -- think about the Steam situation in this way: what if it was reversed?

What if this game had more Steam users than mobile users, and Demiurge instituted a new feature that would give more rewards only to Steam users? And the game is like it is today, where if you start playing on one platform (mobile or PC) you can never switch your progress to the other. Would you still feel like no one should complain about it?

I'm a mobile user myself, and I have been enjoying the added rewards, but I certainly understand where the Steam players are coming from. The thing is, this does not seem to be an insurmountable programming problem; they've just decided to exclude Steam from this feature.

I've said this before in another thread, but I really think there's an easy solution Demiurge could implement that would make people happy... if they don't want to or can't implement the ad displaying in the Steam version, just implement the feature that allows VIP subscribers to get the extra rewards. Steam players who are currently VIPs would start getting the rewards right away, and it could actually drive even more Steam players to become VIPs (because they wouldn't get the rewards otherwise).

Demiurge, here's a little pseudocode that would accomplish this logic:
    If This_Battle_Gets_SHIELD_Signal_Intercept_Reward() = True Then
        If VIP_Status = True Then
            Give_Player_SHIELD_Signal_Intercept_Reward();
        Else
            If Platform = Mobile Then
                Display_Ad();
                Give_Player_SHIELD_Signal_Intercept_Reward();
            End If
        End If
    End If

• Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    It's a good thing when it actually works...
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Redrobot30 wrote:
    It's a good thing when it actually works...

Agreed.
    The past day+ I've gotten either the error popup, or it goes to a black screen and I have to force close the game.
    Was working fine initially though, so donno if it's something with my phone/connection or what.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    The rewards are good, but the inclusion of advertising now - after 3 years without - suggests that it's not exactly a bed of roses over at Demiurge HQ. The move to supplement player revenue with advertising revenue is not ideal. With other Marvel mobiles games being shutdown this year, these ads seem more like an alarm bell for MPQ.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    The rewards are good, but the inclusion of advertising now - after 3 years without - suggests that it's not exactly a bed of roses over at Demiurge HQ. The move to supplement player revenue with advertising revenue is not ideal. With other Marvel mobiles games being shutdown this year, these ads seem more like an alarm bell for MPQ.

perhaps it suggests there's now enough people playing that advertising is now worthwhile?
  • When oh when is this team going to release something that just works correctly straight off the bat ? Every single new feature always has an issue. I don't mind first mistakes, it's not learning from them that is totally unacceptable.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Yes its a great thing, except utterly unfair for the steam users. I sent a message to customer support asking to be transferred to mobile and of course got a polite copy and past no.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you bought the PlayStation version of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, you got 2 hours of exclusive missions for that platform. If you bought the Xbox version, you got squat. It's not exactly the same, but the parallel is there. That just springs to mind because I played that game recently. This kind of stuff has been going on since multiple gaming platforms with the same titles have existed. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's only entitled or toxic or whatever dismissive pejorative you choose when you gloat about it.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Assassin's creed is not a competitive multiplayer game (I guess, havent tried it myself), so it does not make the same difference if the platforms get different stuff.
    Even some other multiplayer games are co-op PVE games where it does not matter so much if someone gets an extra advantage, as long as it is not making the game too hard to play.
    BUT... In MPQ we play vs other players in all events except DPDQ and Gauntlet, plus a few others. Most events are PVP, even the PVE ones in terms of ranking.

Why not give steam players the rewards if we have VIP? That would be an easy way of selling more VIP and balancing out the difference.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love the rewards! Currently due to the bug, I get around 5 rewards, and then the rest are all errors. It's okay, I'm sure they'll fix it in the next release or else soon.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    Take note, D3, that this is the main reason I'm not spending any money on your game any more: you're perfectly okay with a large portion of the community becoming toxic and telling PC users to shut up and deal with being withheld currency worth real world money and falling further behind other players. As others have already stated, this is a competitive multiplayer game, where you're jockeying for position against other people who have now been given an easy way to get rewards that a PC player will typically only get as a late-level progression reward, or even a higher-ranked placement reward (100 Hero Points or 2,000 ISO, for example).

I've put hundreds of dollars into supporting this for almost three years on Steam now, with nearly 1600 hours clocked, and I'm about to quit because everyone on this forum is telling me to suck it up and start all over on mobile, and that all of the time and money I've put into this means nothing because I "picked the wrong version", as if it came out long after the mobile one and the developers warned me that it wasn't going to be as supported (hint: neither of those things happened - it came out only two flipping months later). I suppose you've already gotten your fair share of money out of me and I don't matter, but being told to basically go tinykitty myself and "grab a reality check" by other players is where I draw the line - not that you'll care, or pay any attention to our concerns, as you've clearly demonstrated in this past week.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    One thing the OP didn't include is that they didn't have to out of their way to block ads and give free rewards to people already supporting the game financially. This is pretty classy and not something I've seen in other games.

The only complaint worth making is the steam user one and it would be nice if they did something to address it. Honestly, the only likely solutions I see them doing is sandboxing them off and/or just dropping the PC support all together. We'll see what happens.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    When I started playing MPQ I had no idea mobile version even exists. I've heard abput MPQ for the first time, when someone mentioned it in the video on Youtube channel, that mostly features PC games.

It would be nice to get a warning, when downloading Steam version, that:

1. Developers mostly support mobile players
    2. You can't use your Steam account on your phone
    3. You can't transfer your characters/covers from Steam to mobile version