SHIELD Signal Intercept is a good thing

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I remember when there was one event per week. Not one PVP and one PVE, just ONE event. There wasn't any such thing as lightning rounds, DDQ, or even alliances. If there wasn't an event running and you needed ISO you had to go grind prologue nodes (which were infinite) for 20 ISO.

That situation was something worth complaining about.

Compared to then, ISO (and other rewards) are falling from the sky.

Now the developers are adding advertising to the game. Unfortunately, this is the way of mobile gaming. It's a way for them to keep MPQ going in a sea of mobile games that often vanish before they ever get going. MPQ may be free to you, but it's not free to keep running. They want to make money and there's nothing wrong with that. We're all trying to make more money. It's how we pay the bills and try to get a few slices of the good life.

I applaud the developers for coming up with a way to advertise in their game that also adds rewards to the players. How many games have you played where obtrusive ads disrupt the game experience with absolutely no benefit to you? More than a few, I imagine. So what is there to really complain about?

"It's not enough ISO/HP/Tokens!" Really? They didn't have to give us anything. icon_rolleyes.gif

"It doesn't happen often enough!" Wait, you're complaining that there's not enough ads? icon_eek.gif

"This is screwing steam users!" This is a mobile game. Sorry. Try playing on a phone. It's great. You can play when you're on the toilet, waiting for your wife at the department store, and when no one is looking at work.

Let's all grab a reality check and reserve our complaints for something a bit more meaningful. Like the skip tax. Now there's something I could gripe about all day. icon_e_wink.gif

Comments

• MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Dormammu wrote:

"This is screwing steam users!" This is a mobile game. Sorry. Try playing on a phone. It's great. You can play when you're on the toilet, waiting for your wife at the department store, and when no one is looking at work.

I would play glandly on mobile IF I could retain my progress. Sadly, it seems like those who started with Steam don't have the option to migrate to mobile.

Having paid a significant amount of money for the game, I would expect either a chance to migrate or to have the same rewards as the mobile players have. We do compete for the same progression.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2016
    Dormammu wrote:
    I remember when there was one event per week. Not one PVP and one PVE, just ONE event. There wasn't any such thing as lightning rounds, DDQ, or even alliances. If there wasn't an event running and you needed ISO you had to go grind prologue nodes (which were infinite) for 20 ISO.

That situation was something worth complaining about.

Compared to then, ISO (and other rewards) are falling from the sky.

Now the developers are adding advertising to the game. Unfortunately, this is the way of mobile gaming. It's a way for them to keep MPQ going in a sea of mobile games that often vanish before they ever get going. MPQ may be free to you, but it's not free to keep running. They want to make money and there's nothing wrong with that. We're all trying to make more money. It's how we pay the bills and try to get a few slices of the good life.

I applaud the developers for coming up with a way to advertise in their game that also adds rewards to the players. How many games have you played where obtrusive ads disrupt the game experience with absolutely no benefit to you? More than a few, I imagine. So what is there to really complain about?

"It's not enough ISO/HP/Tokens!" Really? They didn't have to give us anything. icon_rolleyes.gif

"It doesn't happen often enough!" Wait, you're complaining that there's not enough ads? icon_eek.gif

Let's all grab a reality check and reserve our complaints for something a bit more meaningful. Like the skip tax. Now there's something I could gripe about all day. icon_e_wink.gif

1) I have no problem with the ads, I loved to see them for the rewards, but 3/4 of my signals were errors, this is why I bought VIP.

2) They did have to give is something and this is respect, we are not slaves of this company. Give a free but bugged option for rewards and to "force people" to buy a VIP to get the reward without an error is one thing, to flood us on the first day with the rewards and after the happiness of the customers a) introducing a lower reward b) lowering the chances to get the rewards is not a sign of respect.

3) Steam or not steam, it is the same game and I understand why steam users (esp. the VIP) complain about the situation. Esp. because they cannot change the system of playing (steam to mobile). This rewards are not an offer to buy overpriced shop-items for a lesser price at amazon or google or or or, this is a game-imminent- everyday reward and steam users are out. So not understanding them for this matter is a sign for lack of empathy.

4) If there are 20 chances a day people have every right to say in a limited number of pve-matches that its not happen enough to get all 20 rewards. They say there are 20 rewards but giving only chances of -lets say- 15% for 50 pve-matches (which is a lot for a mobile game) we have 8 rewards a day.

5) The announcement was hidden updated (250 Iso) and it is wrong, not every storymode-completion has a chance, only the ones which grants rewards (not-green-checked).
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Dormammu wrote:
    "This is screwing steam users!" This is a mobile game. Sorry.

And yet, it's clearly on Steam and still being updated. That makes it a mobile and PC game. Smugness doesn't change that.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    MrCrowley wrote:
    Dormammu wrote:

I would play glandly on mobile IF I could retain my progress. Sadly, it seems like those who started with Steam don't have the option to migrate to mobile.

Having paid a significant amount of money for the game, I would expect either a chance to migrate or to have the same rewards as the mobile players have. We do compete for the same progression.

Yeah, the Steam situation is deplorable. It's much harder to compete against someone on mobile when your platform is Steam, and the rewards from both FB and Intercepts are absent.

I recently entered a ticket to have my Steam account sandboxed and have them add digital goods as necessary to my mobile because of that. I understand from the copy/paste initial reply (today) that Steam and mobile aren't linked, but I don't care about playing on both platforms. I just want the stuff I've paid for on the platform I'm using.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I would be happy to move my Steam progress to mobile and lose the chance of playing on steam.
    I guess it would be rather simple to move my "savegame" to the mobile side unless there is some conflict of interest between Valve and D3.
  • Yoik
    Yoik Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    I also think its a good add and fairly unobtrusive. I don't feel the need to become a VIP either just for the sake of missing a few seconds watching an advertisement. You don't even have to take part.

The rewards seem handy too. Overall its an plus to the game. The only downside I see at the moment which is probably just in need of a bit of ironing out is when the video doesn't load at all and you just get the error message. I'd say I get this 60% of the time.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Overall intercept is a good thing. It injects extra resources into the game and makes the devs money.
    With the amount of times the pop up apears I am not sure I want significantly more. I play other games where adds are much more prevelant and lucrative to watch. If you don't watch the adds it is a massive grind for min rewards. I personally don't need to watch 20 adds in a day.

For steam players I feel bad for you. You are consistently getting left out in the cold. They should make everyone's experience the same while playing.

Overall there are some bugs but hey it's new and it is not overscalled bosses that the devs think we will find "fun" so I will watch a couple of adds a day skip a couple and get some more stuff. Thumbs up from me
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    I love the idea, but the execution is somewhat lacking. After getting errors for the last 8 intercepts I should have received, it's starting to feel more like a taunt of "Pay for VIP or get nothing!"
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Member when the game first started?

Yeah, I member

Member how it is 3 years later.

Yeah, I member too.
  • ngoni
    ngoni Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Taganov wrote:

Yeah, the Steam situation is deplorable.

Make the Steam version great again!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2016
    Dormammu wrote:

Yes! This! If my wife gives me some clothes to try, I get a match or two in! Even better when she tries on clothes icon_lol.gif

Overall I agree and like your post about SHIELD Intercept. This is one of the most positive additions to the game.

I do feel that if the devs cannot figure out a way to extend SHIELD Intercept rewards to the Steam users, then they should allow the Steam user a one-time, limited time frame they can switch to mobile.

• Overall I agree and like your post about SHIELD Intercept. This is one of the most positive additions to the game.

The rewards are positive, sure. Adding ads to this game though? Not so positive.
  • Dormammu
    Nice effort OP. However, I shall continue to enjoy my right to protest. If i enjoyed playing mobile games, id play on mobile. If the devs cannot reconcile the inequitable offers, they should split the platforms.

I think that would make the steam version nearly unplayable. Based on the numbers provided by steam/valve there wouldn't be enough steam players to fill even one PVE bracket.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    I play from Steam and I just keep feeling sadder and sadder about this.

My Alliance chat pops up constantly about people getting fun rewards...wish I could join in on the fun.
  • Dormammu
    Not true, sir!

The steam playerbase has suffered a long, steady attrition. However, there are still 600 players on Steam at any given time, a daily peak of just over 1K active concurrent users, and on any given week, 8k-12K active, unique users logging in.

1K per day. Now separate them out by SCL. How exactly are you going to fill a 1K bracket? People complain about seeing the same teams over and over now...
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

Overall I agree and like your post about SHIELD Intercept. This is one of the most positive additions to the game.

The rewards are positive, sure. Adding ads to this game though? Not so positive.

I am a VIP member so I do not know what the ads look like, but I know they have been erroring out for many players which almost seems like a "Go buy VIP". I had planned not to renew my VIP but with all these extra rewards, it makes it worth it.

As far as adding ads to the game in general, if the ads are bringing in enough revenue to MPQ to keep the game going then I am all for it. Like others have said, unlike other mobile games, we're getting rewards from them the ads which is nice.

For the Steam community, I have suggested MPQ email those players links to the ads (up to 20) throughout each day to reward those players as a fair approach but no one seems to care to respond to the idea so I guess it sucks icon_lol.gif
  • Taganov wrote:

Yeah, the Steam situation is deplorable. It's much harder to compete against someone on mobile when your platform is Steam, and the rewards from both FB and Intercepts are absent.

I recently entered a ticket to have my Steam account sandboxed and have them add digital goods as necessary to my mobile because of that. I understand from the copy/paste initial reply (today) that Steam and mobile aren't linked, but I don't care about playing on both platforms. I just want the stuff I've paid for on the platform I'm using.

Steam version was released after mobile, any progression race was already over. Competition isn't between platforms, it's between wallet sizes.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu wrote:
    Not true, sir!

The steam playerbase has suffered a long, steady attrition. However, there are still 600 players on Steam at any given time, a daily peak of just over 1K active concurrent users, and on any given week, 8k-12K active, unique users logging in.

1K per day. Now separate them out by SCL. How exactly are you going to fill a 1K bracket? People complain about seeing the same teams over and over now...

"...Having a separate version of the game would require a different approach to event design and schedule, and bracketing...."

Are you being obtuse, Dormammu? icon_lol.gif Intentionally, selectively reading? The lack of imagination you're demonstrating is pretty appalling. The current structure of MPQ is not the only possible structure! IF the game were being designed for a smaller playerbase, it would (presumably) be structured differently. Fewer events? Longer events? Fewer (or no) slices? More noncompetitive events, or at least more emphasis on progression rather than placements?

Or ... *gasp* ... using this crazy stuff called "code" to enact dynamic rewards, so rewards scale, eliminating the need for SCLs. Have all players in one pool, and meet all their progression needs, at their current level of roster development. Crazy, man, crazy.

But ... refer to previous comment as to why such things will not happen.

In the end, if the the platforms were separate, then the differences would not matter. But they are not separate, and thus inequities are resulting as the connections between platforms evolve (those dang APIs...), inequities that remain to be addressed by the devs.

Well, if the worst thing I'm called today is obtuse and unimaginative I'll consider it a good day.

But just so I'm clear, you want the developers to completely restructure the entire game for a tiny segment of the player base that generates very little income? All over some ad rewards? Yeah, you're right, I lack imagination. **** was I thinking? This is the obvious solution.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    has there been any communication regarding why this thing errors out pretty much every time?

i think i'm probably at about 10% of these things working. Not that i feel owed anything extra, but they do offer some significant rewards just for watching a quick video. which i'm willing to do. but it's a bit of a kick in the nads when it doesn't work way more than it does.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2016
    [moved to relevant thread]