Legendary Tokens - Classic vs Current

13»

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here I'm operating under the assumption that there are going to be 4*s that I never champ. Ever. Because there are more 4*s than there is ISO. I don't mean to dis Miles, but for me he falls into the "never champ" category. If I thought I could champ all the 4*s then you are 100% correct - champ them as you get them to start the rewards rolling in sooner rather than later. 2 years worth of RNG will make the timing of when you champed one 4* over another irrelevant.

My math tells me that I'll never champ all the 4*s and so to have a stronger max champed 4* roster later I need to be more selective in which 4*s I champ now. I'm considering going through my hoard in about two months time in an effort to try and get a usable Black Bolt before he leaves the Latest pool. To have enough ISO to champ three 5*s I figure is going to take me every bit of that 2 month timeframe. So over the next 2 months we will see 3 or 4 more 4*s released while all the ISO I might spend to champ Miles or 4Thor or whoever instead must be saved for my new 5*s.

You'd be surprised, actually. I'm not a causal player, but I wouldn't say I'm a player at the level of westnyy2 - I generally make 25 CP out of PVE, but only some of the time in PVP. I typically make top 100 to top 50 in either PVP or PVE, but have only gone higher a handful of times. I play the LRs for the seeds and maybe one or two Heroic tokens if I feel like it. I tracked my Iso income for a while, it averaged around 27K a day, so I round down to 25 to be conservative.

A few weeks ago I champed Susan tinykitty Richards. Seriously. I had 6 covers for her, so I was like "Well, it's clear what the game wants me to do." Once you champ the top tier and the upper middle tier, it just plain doesn't matter who you champ so long as you have extra covers for them. If it's one cover for Spider Gwen or 6 for IW, I'll go with IW every time.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    This is the type of advice that I'm trying to avoid giving. What about someone like Moon Knight? I just pulled my 13th cover for him yesterday. I don't have a 14th yet, but I just sold covers of 4thor, Elektra, and X-23 because they really aren't all that great, and if I am going to champ another 4* it's going to be Moon Knight. Because I don't want to find myself in a situation 2 years from now where I'm saying "man, Moon Knight is boosted this week, but instead of having a 495 Moon Knight to use I've got a 495 Reed or Miles or Elektra collecting dust because I didn't think it mattered which one I champed first."
    I don't disagree with you at all, I think you are on the right track for who to champ first. (That said... while I place MK a little ahead of GT because he's better unboosted, I think she is right there with him because she's SOOOO good boosted. X-23 is a little behind them both... in other words, I don't think they are bad choices. I still use both GT and X-23 over 5* when boosted).

I am not saying to sink ISO into the bottom half of the 4* tier just because you have them covered. I think if you get to the point where the top half and all your 3* are champed, it's the right move. But you DEFINITELY want to focus on the top tier 4* (about 8 or 9 total) first, then that next tier and the one below that... that'll get you somewhere in the 15-20 ballpark. From then on... it's whomever you want to level.

TL;DR - Don't EVER find yourself getting a 13th cover for Hulkbuster or Peggy and find yourself out of ISO because you figured you'd go ahead and champ a 13-cover Nick Fury.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    thanos8587 wrote:
    "He hits like a cement truck when he's boosted"

this describes 80%+ of the four star tier. unfortunately with the number of 4* characters, this means they are only boosted one in every TEN weeks. thats once every 2 1/2 months, roughly 5 times a year.
    While this is true, it's becoming the meta that 4* are ONLY useful in high-end PVP when boosted, when they can outpace 5* health and damage. And, while I agree, a boosted lvl 370 is good almost regardless of the character, there are some who definitely scale better than others.
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    I just saving my command points until there's a new 5* release with improved drop rates. I've been hoarding for about the last 5 months barring a few pulls so looking forward to finally being able to cash in in the next day or so
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Here I'm operating under the assumption that there are going to be 4*s that I never champ. Ever. Because there are more 4*s than there is ISO. I don't mean to dis Miles, but for me he falls into the "never champ" category. If I thought I could champ all the 4*s then you are 100% correct - champ them as you get them to start the rewards rolling in sooner rather than later. 2 years worth of RNG will make the timing of when you champed one 4* over another irrelevant.

My math tells me that I'll never champ all the 4*s and so to have a stronger max champed 4* roster later I need to be more selective in which 4*s I champ now. I'm considering going through my hoard in about two months time in an effort to try and get a usable Black Bolt before he leaves the Latest pool. To have enough ISO to champ three 5*s I figure is going to take me every bit of that 2 month timeframe. So over the next 2 months we will see 3 or 4 more 4*s released while all the ISO I might spend to champ Miles or 4Thor or whoever instead must be saved for my new 5*s.

You'd be surprised, actually. I'm not a causal player, but I wouldn't say I'm a player at the level of westnyy2 - I generally make 25 CP out of PVE, but only some of the time in PVP. I typically make top 100 to top 50 in either PVP or PVE, but have only gone higher a handful of times. I play the LRs for the seeds and maybe one or two Heroic tokens if I feel like it. I tracked my Iso income for a while, it averaged around 27K a day, so I round down to 25 to be conservative.

A few weeks ago I champed Susan tinykitty Richards. Seriously. I had 6 covers for her, so I was like "Well, it's clear what the game wants me to do." Once you champ the top tier and the upper middle tier, it just plain doesn't matter who you champ so long as you have extra covers for them. If it's one cover for Spider Gwen or 6 for IW, I'll go with IW every time.
    I'm unable to compete in the majority of lightning rounds because I work during the week, but like you I can still count on about 25k ISO/day. That's 350k every two weeks. It takes about 375k ISO to champ a 4* from level 70. And they are released about every 2 weeks. So if I did nothing else I could just about keep up with the current release rate, but 5*s are a thing and they take about 3 weeks to champ from 255. So for every two 5*s I champ I miss out on three 4*s.

For me I've got 24 4*s that aren't champed. I might champ some of them over time, but I'll never catch up. That means that for as long as the release rate outpaces my earn rate I will always have 24 4*s that aren't champed. For every two new 5*s I champ that 24 number grows by 3. So it's important for me to understand which 4*s I consider to be in the bottom 24 and then just not feel like I'm "wasting" their covers when I sell them because I should never champ them until they release a new 4* that is worse.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Hoarding in this forum is strong.

And the fear to 'waste' covers even more icon_razz.gif
  • westnyy2 wrote:
    Another bonus for LL is that D3 will swap covers for you.

This policy is so messed up. If they for sure swap covers for you 100% of the time, why don't they just implement something in the game that does it??

Or, in reality, what determines if they swap is how much $$$ you have spent, or which day of the week it is, or which CSR you talk to, or who wins the World Series...
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    westnyy2 wrote:

This policy is so messed up. If they for sure swap covers for you 100% of the time, why don't they just implement something in the game that does it??

Or, in reality, what determines if they swap is how much $$$ you have spent, or which day of the week it is, or which CSR you talk to, or who wins the World Series...

Have there been cases of 5's from the LL tokens not being swapped out? I've only had it happen once and they complied. I have an alliance member trying and is still awaiting a response. I have heard of CS not swapping covers from Classic pulls but not Latest.
  • Polares
    westnyy2 wrote:
    westnyy2 wrote:

Have there been cases of 5's from the LL tokens not being swapped out? I've only had it happen once and they complied. I have an alliance member trying and is still awaiting a response. I have heard of CS not swapping covers from Classic pulls but not Latest.

The policy right now says one change (if you are a nice user) from CLs, don't think they are forced to, and as many as you want from LLs.

Until now, most people was opening CLs so just super whales where having 6+ pulls of any color in LLs, so because the number was small and they were spending a lot I guess they decided to do this service to them. I think this will change soon when people will start pulling duplicates trying to champ Strange and BBolt icon_razz.gif
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been a classic person forever, but I may end up hoarding and then doing a massive pull for the new 5* character (if s/he is deemed to be good... sorry bruce and cap... icon_e_confused.gif). It's challenging though, I hate to give up on all chances of ever getting a 12th and 13th oml cover (that yellow is highly elusive!!), but I really would like a chance to get a champed 5* at some point.

And I really hate pulling a dupe 5* of a non-champed LT classic hero!!! That's so incredibly frustrating and unfair! And CS didn't even allow me one single chance to exchange covers!

So I guess I gotta just freeze my development and game progress... I'll just focus on champing more 4*s (yay?) and hoarding all cp.... icon_e_sad.gif which will be grindy and boring.

This is my 5* distribution so far.... Only OML is usable so far.. the rest I'm waiting to champion or at least get to 11+ covers. (SS doesn't count because he only has one Red so not that scary to pvp opponents. And JG has no Green, so also not very useful.)
    5*s Covers 59
    OML 5..1..5 11
    SS 5..1..5 11
    JG 0..4..5 9
    IM 4..2..2 8
    BSS 2..3..0 5
    Cap 2..2..1 5
    GG 1..1..1 3
    BW 0..2..2 4
    Bruce 0..1..2 3
    Black Bolt 0..0..0 0
  • Polares
    mpqr7 wrote:

This is my 5* distribution so far.... Only OML is usable so far.. the rest I'm waiting to champion or at least get to 11+ covers. (SS doesn't count because he only has one Red so not that scary to pvp opponents. And JG has no Green, so also not very useful.)

Your PH is perfectly usable. 99% of the times I use PH, her green is not used AT ALL. The power you need at 4 or 5 is purple, and your 0/4/5 should be perfectly usable at the 360 level. Almost as good as a 3/5/5 which is the build everybody use. And SS, even though I agree red is an important power, now that black does also damage when it expires, he can be useful too. I don't know the level of your OML, but you can level those two to the 350-360 safe range and use them, specially in PvE.

Man, everybody is switching to LLs, Devs will be forced to do something (probably splitting classic into two different tokens).
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    I don't know the level of your OML, but you can level those two to the 350-360 safe range and use them, specially in PvE.

My OML is maxed out at Lvl 420. That's why I'm terrified to level up a second 5* until I know that it's going to be very good in PVP. Even though I won't use PH green myself, I think it's a good deterrent in PVP, as it prevents people from simply killing her first, before OML, when faced with both.
    Polares wrote:
    I don't know the level of your OML, but you can level those two to the 350-360 safe range and use them, specially in PvE.

Man, everybody is switching to LLs, Devs will be forced to do something (probably splitting classic into two different tokens).

That would be nice. Currently there are only a few 5*s I actually "need" (OML yellow, PH green, SS red), but odds on each individual color are just 0.7%, which is pretty weak... so I have 2.1% odds of getting a 5* cover I actually need. I actually have greater odds of getting a 5* cover I will need to immediately throw away in frustration (5 * 0.7% = 3.5%).

It would be great if they either made two separate Classics tokens (such as Classic Classics and Latest Classics lol), or if they bumped up the odds on pulling a 5* in the Classics tokens to 20% or better (a player can dream!!!!!).

No matter what they end up doing, I'm sure they'll just do it instantly, without any previous announcement to prepare people icon_lol.gif