Legendary Tokens - Classic vs Current

westnyy2
westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
We all know what's in the tokens but it's come up a lot more in my alliance chat in what is the best way to proceed. I would like to hear from noobs and mega whales in their process.

I am currently opening current tokens. My reason is simple. I have everyone in the classic champed except Spidey. I know that's not the case for the majority. But what is better long term for my roster, a beefier OML and Phoenix or a 450 Banner and Black Bolt?

For the players just entering into a 5 star world, I think I would recommend current tokens as well. We all know how good OML is but it's near impossible to fully cover a five from classics these days. I would think focusing on the latest three would get them closer to having a usable 5 in a shorter time span.

The other method is hoarding. There are a number of players who have posted about their journeys. With Strange coming out shortly, is it a better method to hoard and focus all your CP on his special vault? I've heard some super whales mention it takes about 2500 cp to fully cover a 5 from one of these vaults.

Lastly we have the vets who are so close on their OML's and Phoenix' that they just can't switch until they are finished. I have an alliance mate stuck on a 5/2/5 OML build for what seems like forever. We know he has a 15% chance to pull purple but from that purple he is looking at a 1/21 chance it's the one cover he is waiting for. With Hulk looming to make the change, it will drop to 1/24. Should he keep the faith or make the switch to increase his odds at covering a 5 quicker?

Comments

• Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    I am a 3-4* transitioner. Currently there are only a half dozen or less specific 4* covers that go to waste. Classic tokens are a no brainer for me - 5 for the price of 4.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very interesting idea. I'm one of those people who can't emotionally move on until I get a usable OML. To me, the latest 5*s are useless.

But maybe at some point, I should move on and start really hoarding until I get thousands of CP and numerous LTs, and then go nutz on a new 5* release to try to get it fully covered. It's not a bad idea.

But man, such patience I would need to have! I only make a few hundred cp per month... I would need to hoard for like a year! Kind of like how I hoard taco tokens until I have ~300. I do it, but it's tough.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I think I made some stupid mistakes early on. I pretty much spent CP as soon as I got it on classics. This meant I ended up not having enough ISO to champ all the 4 stars I pulled, and just sold a lot of them. I also had horrible luck pulling 5 stars. Now that I have most of my 4 stars fully covered and the good ones champed, I am saving. This may seem to not make sense based on what I previously said, except I do have some logic behind this decision. At a certain point, I will have almost every 4 star cover be useful, and thus pulling a bunch of 4 stars as once from classics is no big deal. Additionally, I still wouldn't want to make the transition to 5 stars yet, since it changes your MMR. I would want to wait until I could have 4 5 stars fully covered before using them in PvP, to make climbing easier. So I might as well just wait until I have like 2.5k CP and just open classics and fully cover a few 5 stars and buff up my 4 stars a lot at once, rather than make slow and meaningless progress. I will also throw away less 4 star covers.
  • Quibbles
    Quibbles Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    I think it depends on your current position and how many draws you plan to make. If you have a good number of classics champed, then keep going with classics since your draws won't be wasted. Otherwise, you'll go a lot further by getting one or two champed 5* than a bunch of middling ones. It's much easier to champ the new ones because of the dilution in the classics. If you're dedicated to drawing, then wait for Strange to come out and then draw new tokens like crazy, since Bolt is excellent and BW is very good. (Hulk is fun, and I have him champed, but BW is a lot more useful in taking down Phoenix teams quickly.) Given how repetitive the 5* ranks are, what matters most is the level of your 5* once you have champs. I tap level 450 teams all day long. I skip level 480+ unless I need to hit them. You'll stand a much better chance of getting an actually scary team if you focus on a pool of three than if you spit in the ocean of old tokens.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    As someone at the end of 3* nearing 4* transition, I have never spent the extra 5 CP to get latest. Obviously every LT gives you latest whether you want that or not, so I have opened latest, but to date I've only bought classic. I'm currently hoarding CP until I complete championing all 3* (except Strange I guess, not waiting around for a new 3* icon_rolleyes.gif ). I've debated back and forth if I should open my hoarded tokens as latest or classic. My gut instinct is to focus on classic since the 4* are more important to me and I get more 4* chances with classic, however if the 3 in latest are all really good, it might be worth it. Currently I have almost 300 CP, will probably have closer to 400 when I start opening. I also have 8 LT's saved up as well.

I'm interested to hear what others say.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem with focusing on latests is, you have a finite window of time before one falls off the draw table. Let's say you have a Banner @11 covers, you've got about 1 week remaining before he goes out and Strange comes in. Maybe you'll pull a cover, maybe you won't, but one thing's for sure, you'll never cover him if you only pull latests
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm lucky enough to be at a point where I've had an ISO surplus for a while -- not that I've fully leveled all my characters, but I've fully leveled all the max-covered ones that I want to fully level. I don't have the ISO to max Spider-Gwen and Nick Fury and Elektra and Mr. Fantastic, but why would I spend more ISO on them than I need to beat their DDQ fights?

Instead, my main need is more covers for the characters I want to champ but haven't finished collecting yet -- Nova, Peggy, Punisher, Kate, eventually Blade and Luke Cage. And Classic Legends get me those covers faster. If I can better cover my 5*s in the process, that's good too, but not my top priority -- especially since I only have two maxed 5* powers so almost any shiny purple cover I see will be usable.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    My standard recommendation is to have ~300 - 350 pulls going into a LL draw if you intend to fully cover a 5*. You can do it with fewer IF you have the vast majority of your 4* champed (as every 10 levels returns a LT and several CP, so if you pull 280 4*, you can expect to get another 30 - 33 pulls). Because of this, I also typically suggest NOT pulling if >50% of your covers will go to waste. So when you get to 4* land, start pulling CL to cover your characters, but stop when you start hitting cover jail until you max enough that you can add champ levels. You'll get to a point of being cover rich and ISO poor, so until you champ half of them, hold off on pulling.

The LL packs have the advantage of being the only one you can supplement with LTs... so if you are pulling classics or a new release, you can ONLY do it with CPs. So my feeling is... why spread your pulls around- focus on the LL (otherwise LTs become much less useful).

For all the theories I've heard about pulling at specific times, pulling 2x an hour apart, pulling after a certain draw from other packs, holding your pecker while you hit the button, pulling when someone else has gotten a good draw, etc... I find that random is mostly random. It seems to even out to pretty much the reported % if you draw enough. So I try to keep those percentages in mind.

Regarding your question about "what's better" ...well, it depends somewhat on the 5*, but in general, you are going to do better in PVP with 2 "beefier" 5* than 10 level 450s. (PVE you will definitely do better with the 450s... more options, lower scaling, won't get locked out of using 5* if wolverine is in the opposing node or a lower version is an essential, etc). I say "in general," because having multiple 5's does give you flexibility to build around the feature/boosted. If they use CD tiles, I like GG. If they are Team IM, I use IM46. If they are Team Cap, I don't care because Cap sucks. If GT is boosted, Black Bolt (and GT) becomes even deadlier. If it's Switch, I use Phx, if it's IF, I use Nattt... etc. But, because the power curve is exponential with 5*, a level 500 5* is always going to be tougher to handle than a well-partnered synergistic lvl 450.

However, having said that, remember that the more CP you spend, the easier it will be to climb past he CL with LL... so even if you are looking for one "beefy" 5*, you might be better off going with LL. Because of the dilution of the odds, even factoring in the cost of the CP, you can expect to pull nearly double (1.87x) the number of covers for a LL as a CL (and it probably is 2x after you factor in LT). So, for example, 10,000 CP would probably get you 20 covers of the 3 5*s... versus 10 - 11 of each of the 7 CLs. So for every 1000 CP you have, ask yourself it you would rather have 1 of each the CL, or 2 of each LL.

For your alliance mate and that OML you want... it's about to be 1/24 draw like you said. If you hit chalk, you'd do it in less than 160 pulls (or 3200 CP). 3200 CP would also get you about 3 covers of each of the other 5*. By comparison, 3200 CP in a 25 CP release vault with 10% odds would get you ~13 Strange covers. If you wait til he goes to LL, you could expect to get ~19 covers spread over the 3, or 5-6 covers per (but again, you could supplement with LT, and would be returning LT from champed 4*, so expect a little better than that).
  • broll wrote:
    As someone at the end of 3* nearing 4* transition, I have never spent the extra 5 CP to get latest. Obviously every LT gives you latest whether you want that or not, so I have opened latest, but to date I've only bought classic. I'm currently hoarding CP until I complete championing all 3* (except Strange I guess, not waiting around for a new 3* icon_rolleyes.gif ). I've debated back and forth if I should open my hoarded tokens as latest or classic. My gut instinct is to focus on classic since the 4* are more important to me and I get more 4* chances with classic, however if the 3 in latest are all really good, it might be worth it. Currently I have almost 300 CP, will probably have closer to 400 when I start opening. I also have 8 LT's saved up as well.

I'm interested to hear what others say.

Are you telling me that you can stockpile your latest legends tokens and they will turn into classic tokens once one of the 5 stars rotates? If that's true, then ****! I've been doing it sooooooo wrong icon_e_sad.gif
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards

Are you telling me that you can stockpile your latest legends tokens and they will turn into classic tokens once one of the 5 stars rotates? If that's true, then ****! I've been doing it sooooooo wrong icon_e_sad.gif

No LT tokens stay LT tokens forever and always draw from the Latest Legends (LL) coverpacks!

5* Chars rotate out of the LL pool in approximately 3 months.

Currently the LL pack in order of oldest to newest is ( Banner, Bolt, 5*bw) once Dr. Strange event is over, He will push banner out of the LL back since banner is the oldest char in the pool
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I think we have fallen into a trap of giving generic "always pull classics" advice because for the longest time this was the best advice for 99.9% of rosters. We have reached a point though where the classic pool is so diluted that unless you already have like 6-7+ covers for at least 3 classics it actually makes more sense to save up some CP and pull 300-350 Latest as jobob suggests.

Don't believe me? 260 Latest pulls at 25 CP each could be 325 classic pulls. With Strange coming the classic rate will drop to 1.875% for each character. So 325 pulls at 1.875% each will get you 6 covers each of every 5*. It's 48 total covers, but spread out among all the 5*s in the pool. 260 Latest pulls at 5% each is 13 covers for each of the 3 latest characters.
  • stark0719
    stark0719 Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Im saving for strange.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll probably keep pulling classics. I might make an exception if Strange is our last 5* this year and I have a couple months to get a proper hoard.

For now I'm hoarding either way because I don't want to pull more until my iso is built back up, but if Bolt is only in the latest tokens for another month, I probably won't have enough of a hoard that it's worth sacrificing the 4* champ levels/iso that I'd be giving up. A 6-7 covers Widow/Strange/Bolt isn't going to change my experience enough that it's worth missing out on the chance to finish OML (11 covers current), IM46 (10) or PHX (9)
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Moreover, if you don't have many classics at that 6-7+ cover level and can bring in about 43 pulls/month you can actually cover Latest characters one after the other as they enter and exit the Latest tokens. Assuming they are in there for 6 months that would be a total of 258 pulls in 6 months x 5% draw rate is just about 13 covers. Say you can't manage 43 pulls (most hardcore players hitting max progression in both PvP AND PvE still require at least a stark buy/month to get to this level) you could still be looking at 10-11 cover Latest 5*s by the time they leave the pool - that's very usable compared to the same 5-6 covers you would get on classics over the same time period.

I encourage everyone to look at their rosters and earn rates and strongly consider pulling from Latest if it makes sense. If you need help crunching the numbers ask around, plenty of guys willing to help out.
  • westnyy2
    Thanks for the input. I really enjoyed the posts by Jobob and Fightmaster.

For whatever reason I completely overlooked the actual usefulness of your 4 star pulls. If you are wasting covers then perhaps hoarding is your best option until you can champ more 4's. If you are building your 4's then that's just luck of the draw I guess. I am sitting on a Kate Bishop built 1/5/5. Have sold 1 cover thus far.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    At some point, they'll have to deal w/ the dilution of the classics, right? I mean, it'll either be a split of the classics into 2 (or more) token types OR classic 5*s will need to become rewards from progression or placement. As discussed above, I think hoarding until there are 3 good characters and then opening Latest tokens make the most sense, but does that mean I'll never get my last 3 PHX covers or last 10 GG covers or any BSSM covers? I certainly hope not.

And, I also agree that having 'beefier' 5*s would be desired; however, the improvement of a 460 5* v. a 450 is pretty immaterial, but it takes a TON of tokens/cp, so that strategy just isn't worth pursuing unless you're a mega-whale.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    stark0719 wrote:
    Im saving for strange.
    This is where I am too. I'm still buying 20 CP Classic tokens, but saving my Legendary Token pulls for Strange's addition (likely to be 20 or more at that point).
  • westnyy2
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    stark0719 wrote:
    Im saving for strange.
    This is where I am too. I'm still buying 20 CP Classic tokens, but saving my Legendary Token pulls for Strange's addition (likely to be 20 or more at that point).

Perfect case in point. What purpose does saving for Strange serve? In 20 tokens you are likely to pull 3 if you're lucky. Also, if it's tokens then you are pulling from the latest so those 3 could all be Natasha, Strange or Bolt. My question is what's next? Do you go back to classics with your 3 Strange covers and hope to build the original 8? Or do you now focus on the LL token thinking this is my fastest way of building 1 5 and possible 3.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    My pull rate is nowhere near 15%, so it feels silly for me to pay an extra 5cp for each of my 4* covers.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    westnyy2 wrote:
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    stark0719 wrote:
    Im saving for strange.

Perfect case in point. What purpose does saving for Strange serve? In 20 tokens you are likely to pull 3 if you're lucky. Also, if it's tokens then you are pulling from the latest so those 3 could all be Natasha, Strange or Bolt. My question is what's next? Do you go back to classics with your 3 Strange covers and hope to build the original 8? Or do you now focus on the LL token thinking this is my fastest way of building 1 5 and possible 3.

I feel like you have to chase the LLs instead of splitting your CP and also why you need to hoard. Makes little sense to have a roster filled w/ 3-5 cover 5*s. Hoard, chase a 5* in the LLs, then hoard again. At some point they'll need to change the distribution of the 5*s in the Classics, so just keep opening the new ones. Additionally, power creep will eventually set in and the LLs will almost certainly be the best bet.